Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Religion of Aliens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

lets twist this around ,

what is really funny is the ones who believe in god who dont believe in other world life.

now thats just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Considering that we know for a fact there are trillions and trillions of stars, its understandable to believe that there may be life among one if its orbiting planets. Because after all, life was created on this planet, so why not on another one ?

God however, you don't really have anything to go on, you cant say, "well that universe has a god, why doesn't ours" etc.

EDIT: Also i do think as OP said it is silly to say that there is 100% no god. But i think that, whether you believe in aliens or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Starbelgrade, do you believe in god?

If you look at the Big Bang, people say it came from nothing. But how does something so big come from nothing. What was the process which led up to the Big bang?

The universe is said to be expanding all the time, this expansion is slowing down, it will eventually reach a halt and start contracting, this contraction will conntinue until everything is pulled into a tiny (as in smaller than anything you could ever imagine (and then some!)) and BANG, here we go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Exactly. So if there is a god, how did god come about? What was the process which led to the Big Bang? And if there was a process, how did that process start? And who created the process which led to the process to get the Big Bang?

I am currently very interested in Buddhism…
    Guill wrote: »
    The universe is said to be expanding all the time, this expansion is slowing down, it will eventually reach a halt and start contracting, this contraction will conntinue until everything is pulled into a tiny (as in smaller than anything you could ever imagine (and then some!)) and BANG, here we go again.

Yes, we may be the nth iteration of this universe but I think the point is there had to have been something to set it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'd suggest a quick review of the Drake Equation, very well described by Carl Sagan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I saw a scientific documentary called "ancient aliens" and according to that all the gods where just asshole aliens. Apparently everything in history was aliens.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I saw a scientific documentary called "ancient aliens" and according to that all the gods where just asshole aliens. Apparently everything in history was aliens.

http://rclol.com/img/ancient-aliens-guy-im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

Do not watch the history channel, I do not know when it happened but it went alien mad some time in the past few years.

Aliens

Wow, beaten to it........by Aliens........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I am currently very interested in Buddhism…

Yes, we may be the nth iteration of this universe but I think the point is there had to have been something to set it off.
    Which is my main point about the whole question of how it all started. Do some people think/believe the Big Bang started from "nothing"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Anyone who claims to be certain there is no God is just as wrong as anyone who claims they're certain there is one.

Well, no. Whilst your statement sounds nice (cos you've turned a sentence on itself or whatever), the answer to the question "Does God exist?" is either 'yes' or 'no'. Either there is a god or there isn't. The fact that we do not conclusively know the answer does not effect that fact.

Which is my main point about the whole question of how it all started. Do some people think/believe the Big Bang started from "nothing"?

I do not know, I do know that as another poster mentioned there is a theory that the universe expands, contracts and we start all over again though. But that just puts the question back a notch.

I think it is that there was nothing before the big bang, that out of it came time as time is linked to mass.

But of course that does not answer all questions and that is just one scientific theory of many.

What do you believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It makes a lot more sense that we were created by aliens than the theory that we're a fluke in the universe.

Exactly. So if there is a god, how did god come about? What was the process which led to the Big Bang? And if there was a process, how did that process start? And who created the process which led to the process to get the Big Bang?

What do you believe?
    I don't know. I don't believe the sort of god people talk about started it all but my questions would be about how it all started and how something so complicated started from nothing. How something so small expanded and became something mind-numbingly big.

And if the theory of the universe expanding is true and it is like a cycle, then surely there was at some point a start of this cycle?

I do not know, I do know that as another poster mentioned there is a theory that the universe expands, contracts and we start all over again though. But that just puts the question back a notch.

The Big Crunch...(no joke)

It makes a lot more sense that we were created by aliens than the theory that we're a fluke in the universe.

Love it, because, who created the Aliens??

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I realise that there are great differences between belief in God & belief in aliens, but there are also still similarities, one of them being that it's still just a belief without any proof whatsoever.

According to a study done around this time last year, it's estimated that the Universe had 300 sextillion stars. Think about that for a minute. That's 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Our sun is just one of those, and it has 9 planets (including Pluto!) orbiting it. So depending on how many of those stars have planets orbiting them, there are simply a phenomenal number of planets out there. It stands to reason that life, even on a cellular level, has evolved on one of them.

Also, link for anyone who'd like to check it out. USA Today so not that terribly science-y.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2010-12-01-dwarf-stars_N.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I think it is that there was nothing before the big bang, that out of it came time as time is linked to mass.
    See this guy?
    Spunge wrote: »
    Replace aliens with God and you'll see the argument you're currently entertaining for where it's headed.

Some people will laugh at what you say and really, some people will think that is the thinking of a nutter but it really would not surprise me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

anyone ever read conversations with god? you'll find yourself laughing all the way through.

I don't know. I don't believe the sort of god people talk about started it all but my questions would be about how it all started and how something so complicated started from nothing. How something so small expanded and became something mind-numbingly big.

And if the theory of the universe expanding is true and it is like a cycle, then surely there was at some point a start of this cycle?

But isn't everything relative? If we base everything around our size it does seem mind numbingly huge, but maybe it isn't?

Replace aliens with God and you'll see the argument you're currently entertaining for where it's headed.

Oh well no, I am not heading in the god/s direction as the ultimate beginning as that makes little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

most scientists or all even will say that their was nothing before the big bang its hard to fathom just like space never ends and time never ends but we know these things to be true so i dont question it when they say their was nothing before there was something

According to a study done around this time last year, it's estimated that the Universe had 300 sextillion stars. Think about that for a minute. That's 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Our sun is just one of those, and it has 9 planets (including Pluto!) orbiting it. So depending on how many of those stars have planets orbiting them, there are simply a phenomenal number of planets out there. It stands to reason that life, even on a cellular level, has evolved on one of them.

Also, link for anyone who'd like to check it out. USA Today so not that terribly science-y.
    Going by this, would it be silly to rule out Alien intervention in the creation of life on this planet? And yet you would still have the question on who created the Aliens.
    But isn't everything relative? If we base everything around our size it does seem mind numbingly huge, but maybe it isn't?
    Well from our eyes and calculations, it is beyond huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Some people will laugh at what you say and really, some people will think that is the thinking of a nutter but it really would not surprise me at all.
    It's actually a genuine theory, that a meteoroid crashed into earth and upon it were the seeds of life, in some ways it is more likely, but that's lies and statistics stuff.
    What?

God doing it makes no sense, as as someone else pointed out who made them etc etc etc.
    Like I say, replace aliens with god... just pointing out there is a meandering conversation here that is going to conclude with the assumption that just because things are complex, and we don't know everything yet, there must be a god type thing somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The universe actually appears to be expanding at an accelerating rate. The big crunch is one possible scenario but the evidence doesn't back it up as of yet.

Like I say, replace aliens with god... just pointing out there is a meandering conversation here that is going to conclude with the assumption that just because things are complex, and we don't know everything yet, there must be a god type thing somewhere.

I know people have this view, but I do not have this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The fact is that no-one really knows how life began or what happened "before" the big bang. All we can do is attempt to make educated guesses based on what evidence we have.

• Advertisement

Standman wrote: »
    The fact is that no-one really knows how life began or what happened "before" the big bang. All we can do is attempt to make educated guesses based on what evidence we have.
    But surely that is the mission for science? Surely the main objective is to find out how the universe was created?

Advertisement