Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Religion of Aliens

Options
  • 19-12-2011 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

It strikes me as quite odd that some are absolutely certain that there is no God, but seem to be very open to the fact (or totally believe that) aliens exist.

I mean there is no proof that either exist. The retort that there "must be more intelligent life" is as convincing to me as "there must be a God".

So is the belief in aliens just like a religion for the science fiction enthusiasts or is there more to it than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It strikes me as quite odd that some are absolutely certain that there is no God, but seem to be very open to the fact (or totally believe that) aliens exist.

I mean there is no proof that either exist. The retort that there "must be more intelligent life" is as convincing to me as "there must be a God".

So is the belief in aliens just like a religion for the science fiction enthusiasts or is there more to it than that?

No, it's a statisical certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Life doesn't need to be "intelligent" as most people understand the word.

So yes, i believe that there is a high likelihood that in an big universe of which we known very little about there is a good chance that on another planet a single cell organism or better exists.

I do not believe some dude with a beard exists and he made the Universe.

Occam's Razor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anyone who claims to be certain there is no God is just as wrong as anyone who claims they're certain there is one.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Billions and billions and billions of stars and even more planets rotating around them and there's no other life in the universe? I highly doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

aliens seems more plausible tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Billions and billions and billions of stars and even more planets rotating around them and there's no other life in the universe? I highly doubt that

But surely the fact that it's based on doubting other than the fact, makes the belief the same in it's reasoning as the same as the belief in a God or Gods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

God is just unpopular now. He will rise again..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I thought this was going to be about what sort of religion aliens would have. I am disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

They'd be Jehovas Witnesses, here to spread the good news...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

its hard to tell ders so many people that have seen ufos aliens in the world well claim to have seen them and who knows what goes on in area 51 .i think the bilble is just a good story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

There is life here, I have not seen god yet.
    I base my belief in life on other planets on what scientists say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about what sort of religion aliens would have. I an disappoint.

Catholic obviously, cause of God 'n' all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There's more to it.

We already have an example that intelligent life can develop i.e. Human Beings on planet Earth.

It would be a statistical improbability that life hasn't developed somewhere else in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Although it's not proven, science and statistical probability leans strongly in favour of some sort of life existing elsewhere in the universe.

However, a belief in God(s) is a leap of faith with little or nothing to back it up.

While neither is proven, logic, and the universe as we currently understand it, leans heavily in one direction only. :D

Life doesn't need to be "intelligent" as most people understand the word.

So yes, i believe that there is a high likelihood that in an big universe of which we known very little about there is a good chance that on another planet a single cell organism or better exists.

I do not believe some dude with a beard exists and he made the Universe.

Occam's Razor.

Fair enough. But that doesn't negate the possibility that if life were discovered on another planet, that the life could be itself a God of sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

I think it's absurd to think that planet Earth is the only planet in the Universe with life. All it takes is the discovery of one tiny microbe on another planet to prove there's life out there! and it will happen.

Fair enough. But that doesn't negate the possibility that if life were discovered on another planet, that the life could be itself a God of sorts.

It would cease to be a god if it were detectable. It would then become just another scientific fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, to those of us who take a scientific view of how life is most likely to have started, it seems quite plausible that there could be life elsewhere.

If you consider that life started due to a combination of factors on Earth that allowed the whole process to kick off, it would be reasonable to assume that similar events could have happened elsewhere.

Given that there are countless other planets and solar systems, it's possible that some of that possible life evolved along parallel paths to ourselves and is intelligent and self-aware.

It's most unlikely that it would be like StarTrek where everyone goes around speaking English with an American accent and that they all look human other than for very minor tweaks.

In fact, it could be more like trying to have a conversation with a Jellyfish or an Octopus.

It's likely that any aliens could be radically different from any life on Earth.

The God theory however does not seem to have any basis in science at all. It seems to me to be something we used to fill in blanks in our knowledge and explain the inexplicable.

The human brain likes explanations for absolutely everything. We need answers! So, when we do not have an answer, we postulate something based on the available knowledge at the time and extrapolate some kind of an answer.

Without any scientific facts available, it's not unreasonable that people came to the conclusion that someone designed everything i.e. God. Since, that's how we made things i.e. by design, that made logical sense so it was accepted.

It's just that since pre-history, we have acquired vast amounts of technology and knowledge of how things really work and we have discovered that our original religious theories don't fit with scientific reality. Hence, the idea of creationism is no longer accepted by the mainstream.

That's not to deny anyone's spirituality in other areas.

However, logic would seem to point towards the *possible* existence of aliens.

Solair wrote: »
    It's most unlikely that it would be like StarTrek where everyone goes around speaking English with an American accent and that they all look human other than for very minor tweaks.

If there's no possibility of a Captain Kirk & a Spock, then the aliens can go & fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned.

If there's no possibility of a Captain Kirk & a Spock, then the aliens can go &
    themselves as far as I'm concerned.

For all we know, they probably do! Particularly those that reproduce asexually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Anyone who claims to be certain there is no God is just as wrong as anyone who claims they're certain there is one.

Depends on what you mean by God. I'm certain that there is no Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Shinto, Buddhist, Norse, Roman or Greek Gods. Just the same as I'm certain there's no Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus or Boogieman.

For all we know, they probably do! Particularly those that reproduce asexually!

Are you saying Kirk doesn't have a cock?

Jesus man, you're bordering on the sacreligious here.

There is one thing that is a bit puzzling though.

Astronomers have been listening to the skies for decades and haven't detected one vestige of radio waves transmitted by alien life forms.

These waves could be reaching here from any time in the last couple of billion years so it is a little strange that we're not picking up anything.

Spooky.

Spooky.

Not really we can only detect so far, and who knows if we are listening for the right things or if they are transmitting anymore or are capable of transmitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

In fact, it could be more like trying to have a conversation with a Jellyfish or an Octopus.

It's likely that any aliens could be radically different from any life on Earth.

There's also the possibility of life in the 4th, 5th, 6th etc dimensions, but those of course are so incomprehensible to us that we can't even fathom their existence in our wildest dreams...but Stephen Hawking can :)

I'm still not convinced. I mean, "statistical probability" really isn't a very convincing argument.

I'm still not convinced. I mean, "statistical probability" really isn't a very convincing argument.

Give a better argument for god/s?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Not convinced of what exactly? You are comparing two entirely different things seems pointless to me.

Eh, there are about 50 billion planets in the Milky Way...
    So, there's a fair old chance at least 2 of them contain life.

• Advertisement

Give a better argument for god/s?

The existence or not of a God is not really that relevant to the debate.

Advertisement