Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Ranger Wing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I've heard of lads lasting a lot less than 3 hrs

hiyooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

In fairness who makes a statement like that.id like to join the army the join the ranger wing are you for real seriously.u don't even no what recruit training is like you have never walked from the glen to the curragh camp in full cemo.do some of that c how u get on.then maybe try serve over seas and c from there but don't disrespect any of them guys that have trained for years and trained hard that u think u can join up as a doctor then be in the percentage of people that don't fail selection seriously think about ur statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

swhyte027 wrote: »
    In fairness who makes a statement like that.id like to join the army the join the ranger wing are you for real seriously.u don't even no what recruit training is like you have never walked from the glen to the curragh camp in full cemo.do some of that c how u get on.then maybe try serve over seas and c from there but don't disrespect any of them guys that have trained for years and trained hard that u think u can join up as a doctor then be in the percentage of people that don't fail selection seriously think about ur statement.

With respect if the guy trains 3-4 times a week at Muay Thai, thats a serious fitness level and well beyond that of anything expected in the defence forces.

The circuit training aspect alone is often doing 250 press ups, 300 sit ups, 100 star jumps etc, rope climbing, pull ups, lots of running, followed by sparring etc.

The physical side of recruit training is a cake walk compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

With respect if the guy trains 3-4 times a week at Muay Thai, thats a serious fitness level and well beyond that of anything expected in the defence forces.

The circuit training aspect alone is often doing 250 press ups, 300 sit ups, 100 star jumps etc, rope climbing, pull ups, lots of running, followed by sparring etc.

The physical side of recruit training is a cake walk compared.

In regards that statement I have to say I completely disagree. Recently went through recruit training myself with two individuals who competed at a good level, semi professional, of kickboxing and mma. And yes, while they were very good at exercises such as push-ups and sit ups, that counted very little in regards the main physical aspects of training, such as running and tabbing.

They were definitley amongst the worst performers when it came to pt, mainly because they weren't any good at running or tabbing. Just because they would have been considered as having an exceptional fitness level in the civvie world it didn't mean that they were army fit.

What I'm basically saying is that once you've a bit of weight on your back it's a different story, it's nowhere near as simple as saying that since you can do x amount of push ups and sit ups, that you must be fit. Such exercises have little to do with army fitness, well certainly in my experience anyway

In regards that statement I have to say I completely disagree. Recently went through recruit training myself with two individuals who competed at a good level, semi professional, of kickboxing and mma. And yes, while they were very good at exercises such as push-ups and sit ups, that counted very little in regards the main physical aspects of training, such as running and tabbing.

They were definitley amongst the worst performers when it came to pt, mainly because they weren't any good at running or tabbing. Just because they would have been considered as having an exceptional fitness level in the civvie world it didn't mean that they were army fit.

What I'm basically saying is that once you've a bit of weight on your back it's a different story, it's nowhere near as simple as saying that since you can do x amount of push ups and sit ups, that you must be fit. Such exercises have little to do with army fitness, well certainly in my experience anyway

MMA is the most physically demading of all martial arts training to compare running and tabbing to it are laughable.

Ive done the Paras 10, a couple of marathons and lots of other Tabs inc a 28 miler over mountains last Summer.

Fighting K1 or MMA is a different league, you are not just knackerd but someone is trying to knock you out.

Circuit training exercises are the basis of infantry fitness, like interval training they push your fitness beyond just running/jogging and also develop upper body power. Such circuits have everything to do with infantry fitness, if you had done such circuits you would know that.
    But they obviously are done with running/Tabs.

If your friends had fought at K1 level in Muay Thai, their fitness would be well above infantry fitness.

I find it hard to believe that your semi pro Muay Thai/MMA fighter friends were the worst in the gym as recruits. Lol.

Someone fighting at that level would be training 5x a week, they would be running, doing very demanding circuits and sparring, training about 1.5/2 hours 5 x a week. There fitness level would even be beyond that even of Royal Marines and Paras. After all they are semi pro fighters.......your claim.

Tabbing is hard at first but after 3 or so goes you get used to it/get into the rhythm of it.

The only time I ever really struggled with it was in heat, its very easy to get heat exhaustion in full kit in 80 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

MMA is the most physically demading of all martial arts training to compare running and tabbing to it are laughable.

Ive done the Paras 10, a couple of marathons and lots of other Tabs inc a 28 miler over mountains last Summer.

Fighting K1 or MMA is a different league, you are not just knackerd but someone is trying to knock you out.

Circuit training exercises are the basis of infantry fitness, like interval training they push your fitness beyond just running/jogging and also develop upper body power. Such circuits have everything to do with infantry fitness, if you had done such circuits you would know that.
    But they obviously are done with running/Tabs.

If your friends had fought at K1 level in Muay Thai, their fitness would be well above infantry fitness.

I find it hard to believe that your semi pro Muay Thai/MMA fighter friends were the worst in the gym as recruits. Lol.

Someone fighting at that level would be training 5x a week, they would be running, doing very demanding circuits and sparring about 1.5/2 hours per day. There fitness level would even be beyond that even of Royal Marines.

Tabbing is hard at first but after 3 or so goes you get used to it/get into the rhythm of it.

I think you are misunderstanding what I was saying. What you were initially suggesting is that just because he does mma or whatever that he'd have a fitness level required to get into a sf unit, whereas I was saying is that it's a different sort of fitness, just beacause you're good at one doesn't mean you'll be able to attempt sf selection. i think very few possess the mental toughness to pass such courses hence that's why their so hard to get into.

In regards the individuals I was in training with who done mma I never said they were worst in the gym, oh they loved that pt, it was runs and tabs they struggled with, too muscle bound, I'd it say slowed them down.

Have to disagree that circuits are the 'basis of military fitness'. Running, tabs and battle pt are what infantry is all about. I can honestly say, well certainly in my unit, we do minial circuit training, if ya want to go the gym do it in your own time. Can't speak for Para's or Rm though, I'm sure they do alot more than my unit

I think you are misunderstanding what I was saying. What you were initially suggesting is that just because he does mma or whatever that he'd have a fitness level required to get into a sf unit, whereas I was saying is that it's a different sort of fitness, just beacause you're good at one doesn't mean you'll be able to attempt sf selection. i think very few possess the mental toughness to pass such courses hence that's why their so hard to get into.

In regards the individuals I was in training with who done mma I never said they were worst in the gym, oh they loved that pt, it was runs and tabs they struggled with, too muscle bound, I'd it say slowed them down.

Have to disagree that circuits are the 'basis of military fitness'. Running, tabs and battle pt are what infantry is all about. I can honestly say, well certainly in my unit, we do minial circuit training, if ya want to go the gym do it in your own time. Can't speak for Para's or Rm though, I'm sure they do alot more than my unit

You said your friends were semi pro fighters, but worst at running fitness wise during basic training, I find that hard to believe.

Most MMA fighters are not muscle bound. All military units that have high levels of fitness use circuits as the building block of fitness, Royal Marine recruits do circuits 5 days a week, non stop press up, sit ups,box jumps, rope climbs, star jumps, squats, shuttle runs, along side running etc.

As for Special forces selection, if you can withstand boredom, are very good with a map and compass, dont mind the boredom of long tabs, dont mind rain, cold, intense boredom, are fairly intelligent and pick things up fairly quickly, even better if you have lots of orienteering and hill walking experience theres a good chance you will pass it.

The superman thing is media hype. The biggest thing is to stay motivated during the mind numbing boredom of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

yekahS wrote: »
    Just on this point. I'm pretty certain that DE's are eligible to apply for selection. The chances of them passing are very unlikely, and the chances of being accepted in the wing even if they passed selection are pretty much zero given they would lack the relevant skills and knowledge.

Ok so this is my concern.

I can give or take using my medical skills, it's not a necessity, I am as interested in a military career as I am a medical one and with a medical degree you have substantial freedom to come and go so I'd like my chance to pursue military training and deployment for a number of years and then reassess.

But yes, I am not interested in joining the British Army despite living here, don't ask why, I don't care anyone's opinions on the matter, but it's probably obvious.
    would lack the relevant skills and knowledge

That's fair enough, so what can I do to change that? what are the possible solutions? How long would it take to get up to speed and become acceptable for deployment as a Ranger.

Otherwise I'm pretty much left with the Foreign Legion..

Oh and the last time I spoke to a recruitment officer, direct entry personnel don't just do a "salute course"... They do full basic training like everybody else.

I have to say, I have never seen so much disagreement and inaccuracy over basic facts regarding an armed service before. The IDF has simple, standard policies that seem to be debated in here like they are shades of grey or matters of opinion???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Yixian wrote: »
    Oh and the last time I spoke to a recruitment officer, direct entry personnel don't just do a "salute course"... They do full basic training like everybody else.

I have to say, I have never seen so much disagreement and inaccuracy over basic facts regarding an armed service before. The IDF has simple, standard policies that seem to be debated in here like they are shades of grey or matters of opinion???

The disagreement over DE Officers going on Selection was my fault, I thought they couldn't but as others pointed out, they can and have done so.

That Officer was, quite frankly, telling lies. They're called Direct Entry for a reason, they don't do a full Cadetship like other Officers. You just have to see some of the DE folk walking around to see that.

Poccington wrote: »
    The disagreement over DE Officers going on Selection was my fault, I thought they couldn't but as others pointed out, they can and have done so.

That Officer was, quite frankly, telling lies. They're called Direct Entry for a reason, they don't do a full Cadetship like other Officers. You just have to see some of the DE folk walking around to see that.

Do you know if it's possible to opt into doing a full cadetship?

I didn't mean to suggest I could just rock up to Ranger selection with no training and be accepted, I'm up for the whole shebang, whatever it takes (provided it can be done in a reasonable time period).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Do you know if it's possible to opt into doing a full cadetship?

I didn't mean to suggest I could just rock up to Ranger selection with no training and be accepted, I'm up for the whole shebang, whatever it takes (provided it can be done in a reasonable time period).

Its quite simple. If you want to do a regular cadetship, then you apply whenever the next competition is on, and hope that you get selected like everyone else. Given you background having successfully completed a medical degree and being exceptionally fit, you would stand a decent chance of being selected, but the odds are still stacked against you. I think there were around 4-5k applicants for 35 places in the last competition.

If you get selected you would train for 15 months (I think that's how long it is now) and then would be eligible to go for selection upon receiving your commission. 2/Lt's have passed selection before, but they generally aren't taken into the wing due to their lack of experience.

The other option is to go Direct Entry which will have you commissioned after less than a month, and as a medical officer, you'll be straight in as the rank of captain. You can still technically go for selection, but as I said, chances of passing are extremely low, and chances of being taken into the wing are essentially nil.

My advice to you is not to join the army. If you are joining to be a fighting soldier, then the DF is going to disappoint you. You will become dissillusioned, and will have gained very little medical experience, other than handing out ED to sh1tbags. If you want to be a doctor, then pursue your career in the regular way. If you want to be a soldier, then join the brits/foreign legion.

Its quite simple. If you want to do a regular cadetship, then you apply whenever the next competition is on, and hope that you get selected like everyone else. Given you background having successfully completed a medical degree and being exceptionally fit, you would stand a decent chance of being selected, but the odds are still stacked against you. I think there were around 4-5k applicants for 35 places in the last competition.

If you get selected you would train for 15 months (I think that's how long it is now) and then would be eligible to go for selection upon receiving your commission. 2/Lt's have passed selection before, but they generally aren't taken into the wing due to their lack of experience.

The other option is to go Direct Entry which will have you commissioned after less than a month, and as a medical officer, you'll be straight in as the rank of captain. You can still technically go for selection, but as I said, chances of passing are extremely low, and chances of being taken into the wing are essentially nil.

My advice to you is not to join the army. If you are joining to be a fighting soldier, then the DF is going to disappoint you. You will become dissillusioned, and will have gained very little medical experience, other than handing out ED to sh1tbags. If you want to be a doctor, then pursue your career in the regular way. If you want to be a soldier, then join the brits/foreign legion.

Thanks for the reply.

Basically what I am looking for is to spend 4-6 years of my life in the military, either in a combat role or a mixed combat/medical role if such a thing is possible, but not simply as a military doctor. I want all the training I can get because my intention is for this experience to toughen me up, keep me fit, teach me about warfare & combat and for that to continue to benefit me in whatever I do subsequently.

I won't join the British Army.

If what you say is true that leaves me with the Foreign Legion. I suppose selection for this is a lot more likely than the Rangers and you're guaranteed overseas work, but I need to seriously improve my french and there is a certain air of... neo-colonialism about some of their work.

Do you have any opinions on the FL? How that experience would differ from the IDF, what kind of level of fitness and experience is expected of applicants etc.? Because you might be right and I might need to look into that route.

Thanks for the reply.

Basically what I am looking for is to spend 4-6 years of my life in the military, either in a combat role or a mixed combat/medical role if such a thing is possible, but not simply as a military doctor. I want all the training I can get because my intention is for this experience to toughen me up, keep me fit, teach me about warfare & combat and for that to continue to benefit me in whatever I do subsequently.

I won't join the British Army.

If what you say is true that leaves me with the Foreign Legion. I suppose selection for this is a lot more likely than the Rangers and you're guaranteed overseas work, but I need to seriously improve my french and there is a certain air of... neo-colonialism about some of their work.

Do you have any opinions on the FL? How that experience would differ from the IDF, what kind of level of fitness and experience is expected of applicants etc.? Because you might be right and I might need to look into that route.

My only knowledge of the FFL comes from books, so I'm no authority to talk about them. But from what I can gather. Being able to speak French gives you a great advantage, but isn't necessary, as you can pick up a language fairly quickly when an angry frenchman is roaring at you.

You should read a few books on the legion to get a feel for what it is like. Legionnaire by Simon Murray is an excellent read. Possibly the best soldiers biography I've ever read. Another good one, and more recent is The making of a legionnaire by Bill Paris. There's also one by an Irish guy called Hidden soldier, he also joins a PMC and serves in Iraq and Haiti with them in it. Not a great read, but perhaps revelant given you are Irish too.

Legionnaire training is extremely tough, and they're lifestyle even when finished is spartan. I think there are a lot of eastern europeans, russians and other emigrants from further afield joining now. You'd want to be tough, and well able to handle yourself as a lot of the recruits will be extremely shady characters. You'd also want to be fully sure that it is for you before you sign up, because once you sign the dotted line you are in for 5 years, and if you try and desert you'll be thrown in prison. Physical abuse is common in the legion too, and some of the punishments for fcuking up are pretty extreme. Have a google of FFL punishments to see what I mean.

I think there is a thread on here about the aussie's trying to recruit Europeans and granting citizenship for those who join. They're serving in both Afghanistan and Iraq AFAIK, so they might be a good to look at.

Lastly, I mean absolutely no offence, but you sound awfully naive. You're on here asking the best way to join a special forces unit, and talking about joing the FFL on a whim, and seem to have done little or no research into it. I think you like the sound of being a soldier rather than actually being one. If you do join a fighting army, your medical degree will grant you no special privileges and you'll be just another recruit like everyone else. So like I said in the last post, if you want to be a soldier, then sign up,but if you want to be a doctor, then you're best to pursue that career along the regular way working in hospitals. You'd definitely be dealing with more gunshot and stab wounds in a london ER room than if you joined the DF.

Lastly, I mean absolutely no offence, but you sound awfully naive. You're on here asking the best way to join a special forces unit, and talking about joing the FFL on a whim, and seem to have done little or no research into it. I think you like the sound of being a soldier rather than actually being one

No offense, but have you ever met a bunch of British Army recruits? That is exactly what they are, and I doubt it's very different from armed forces all over the world.

You're right, I don't know the ins and outs of the army and everything it entails, funny that. You'd almost think I hadn't joined yet or something.

It would be very easy for me to point my finger at a 17 year old interested in becoming a doctor and say, you've never been on an resus call, you don't know the structure of the FYP training programme, your anatomy isn't very good, I think you like the idea of being a doctor rather than actually being one. But that'd be stupid... who else do you think become doctors?

I guess in an ideal world babies would pop out the womb in white coats and 5 years worth of medical training but I don't recall ever seeing that during my obstetrics rotation.

Anyway I will, as previously specified, look further into the FL.

No offense, but have you ever met a bunch of British Army recruits? That is exactly what they are, and I doubt it's very different from armed forces all over the world.

You're right, I don't know the ins and outs of the army and everything it entails, funny that. You'd almost think I hadn't joined yet or something.

It would be very easy for me to point my finger at a 17 year old interested in becoming a doctor and say, you've never been on an resus call, you don't know the structure of the FYP training programme, your anatomy isn't very good, I think you like the idea of being a doctor rather than actually being one. But that'd be stupid... who else do you think become doctors?

I guess in an ideal world babies would pop out the womb in white coats and 5 years worth of medical training but I don't recall ever seeing that during my obstetrics rotation.

Anyway I will, as previously specified, look further into the FL.

Like I said, I meant no offence. I was just giving my frank opinion to you. If you're serious then it should be water off a duck's back.

Have you considered joining Medicín san frontier/ doctors without borders? You would definitely get some great high tempo experience with them working in wartorn areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

IIRC, non-French nationals are not allowed to apply as officers in the FFL, so it's the enlisted ranks for you Yixian, unless you can claim French citizenship of course, and go off to become an officer first in France.

Also whilst your medical qualifications will go towards your enlistment application, you will begin life as a Legionnaire with no specialities, so you may conceivably end up not practising any medical skills for a while depending on what the Legion needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

op don't listen to half the posts on here. from what i gather, they're just a bunch of begrudging bastards.

the arw isn't that hard to get into. think about it op, it isn't much of a 'special forces' unit if half the guys signing up only have peace keeping experience. peace keeping is no comparison to full on combat experience and the likes you meet in the irish army are dopes who troll forums and say that the arw are the best special forces in the world :rolleyes:

if your serious about joining special forces join the royal marines or french foreign legion to give you that extra edge
    Lemming wrote: »
    IIRC, non-French nationals are not allowed to apply as officers in the FFL, so it's the enlisted ranks for you Yixian, unless you can claim French citizenship of course, and go off to become an officer first in France.

am yes you can. 25% of officers in the legion are foreign. you apply to become an officer in the legion if you have a degree, have 2 years experience, fluent french, and are under 30

if you don't have a degree, you can still become one but you need to be there longer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

No offense, but have you ever met a bunch of British Army recruits? ...Anyway I will, as previously specified, look further into the FL.

You continuously make the point that you want to be an officer, and officers are not recruits, they are cadets.

You seem to be oblivious to the advice offered to you about the FFL. On joining that organisation ALL your previous life is erased, good or bad, and you become a basic lump of meat that the FFL turns into a Legionnaire. The post above details what a non-French officer aspirant has to run through to become an officer in the FFL. Just an officer, not a medical officer.

IF you joined ANY military organisation as a doctor, then YOU know, and I know, and so does everybody else here know, that delivering babies or fixing up hangnails on saturday night drunks is not what military medicine is all about. Initially you would be as useful to a MERT team as tits on a frog - until you had had serious time in a major trauma unit used to dealing with 24/7 multiple amputations, burn treatment, real-time no-kidding triage of injured and dying as well as all the other injuries occasioned by standing on 50 pounds of explosives packed with nails.

In spite of your obvious distaste at having anything to do with the British Army, you are nevertheless living in a country that you apparently despise, but more than happy to be carted off to a free hospital for the best of treatment if, GF, anything should happen to you. If the place is such a hell-hole, why not return to Ireland and help out the ailing health service?

Or you could do what others have done, and join the TA.

Rant over.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

No offense, but have you ever met a bunch of British Army recruits?

I seriously doubt you have... But feel free to join up.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ArtyBoy

Why not ? Civilian Dr's and male nurses have joined both 21 and 23 TA SAS units in the UK and gone on to serve in Afghianistan as SAS combat medics. The training and selection takes about a yr. In fact one was KIA a couple of yrs ago

If civilians can do with UK special forces, whos selection and training and operations are far more demanding, why should they not be able to do so with the ARW?

Just came across this now. 21 / 23 SAS training would be nowhere near as tough as Ranger Wing selection. They (21/22) are Tier 2 special forces, part time.
    Although they're good they're not in the same league as a fully professional special force.

slum dog wrote: »
    op don't listen to half the posts on here. from what i gather, they're just a bunch of begrudging bastards.

the arw isn't that hard to get into. think about it op, it isn't much of a 'special forces' unit if half the guys signing up only have peace keeping experience. peace keeping is no comparison to full on combat experience and the likes you meet in the irish army are dopes who troll forums and say that the arw are the best special forces in the world :rolleyes:

if your serious about joining special forces join the royal marines or french foreign legion to give you that extra edge

am yes you can. 25% of officers in the legion are foreign. you apply to become an officer in the legion if you have a degree, have 2 years experience, fluent french, and are under 30

if you don't have a degree, you can still become one but you need to be there longer

You are totally clueless, Royal Marine Commando's are not special forces, neither are the FFL. The FFL don't even have a tier 1 special forces unit within their whole formation.

10% of the officers in the Legion are foreign, 25% of the NCO's in the Legion are former Legionnaires. As I said, clueless!

ArtyBoy wrote: »
    Just came across this now. 21 / 23 SAS training would be nowhere near as tough as Ranger Wing selection. They (21/22) are Tier 2 special forces, part time.
    Although they're good they're not in the same league as a fully professional special force.

Yeah, maybe they should gain more military experience by protecting CIT vans and taking hikers off mountains in Ireland rather then serving in Iraq and Afghanistan for the last 13 years.

Simple reality is even the average 18 yr old infantryman whos served a tour in Afghanistan has more combat experience then the Wing in its total history.

TA SAS are mainly ex regulars, lots of ex Paras, they do the same selection tests as the regular SAS, when the ARW do a solo 40 mile night navigation test fully loaded and jungle phase as part of selection, let me know.

You obviously dont know the definition of Tier 1 Special forces.

Tier 1 includes everything from counter terrorism to Special reconnaissance, not just black ops.

Yeah, maybe they should gain more military experience by protecting CIT vans and taking hikers off mountains in Ireland rather then serving in Iraq and Afghanistan for the last 13 years.

TA SAS are mainly ex regulars, lots of ex Paras, they do the same selection tests as the regular SAS, when the ARW do a solo 40 mile night navigation test fully loaded and jungle phase as part of selection, let me know.

Again demonstrating your ignorance, 21/23 SAS do not do the same selection as 22 SAS. The fact you say that shows that you have no clue about them.

21/23 SAS do 'selection' over a period of weekends with weekly breaks in between. I dare you to tell a 22 SAS operative that 21/23 selection is the same as the selection for 22 SAS, chances are they would laugh at your ignorance or knock you out or both.

Do you know what is involved in ARW selection? Or the 6 month continuation training? I would love to hear of your first hand experience of selection.

Do you stand by your claim that Royal marine commando's and FFL are special forces?

Do yourself a favour and stop digging.

You are totally clueless, Royal Marine Commando's are not special forces, neither are the FFL. The FFL don't even have a tier 1 special forces unit within their whole formation.

10% of the officers in the Legion are foreign, 25% of the NCO's in the Legion are former Legionnaires. As I said, clueless!

URH (Unite de Recherche Humaine) Of 2 REP fit the definition of Tier 1.

Again demonstrating your ignorance, 21/23 SAS do not do the same selection as 22 SAS. The fact you say that shows that you have no clue about them.

21/23 SAS do 'selection' over a period of weekends with weekly breaks in between. I dare you to tell a 22 SAS operative that 21/23 selection is the same as the selection for 22 SAS, chances are they would laugh at your ignorance or knock you out or both.

Do you know what is involved in ARW selection? Or the 6 month continuation training? I would love to hear of your first hand experience of selection.

Do you stand by your claim that Royal marine commando's and FFL are special forces?

Do yourself a favour and stop digging.

Doubt it, I have drank at the SFC club in Knightsbridge.

Where did I say RMs or FFL were special forces, you are mixing me up. Nor did I say TA SAS was the same model as that done by the regulars. But they do the same selection tests just like 4 Para TA and the RM reserve.

Units linked to them are ie the SBS and above are classed as Tier 1.

We can all brag on the net about experiences, no point if they cant be verified.

Your claim the ARW are a more professional unit then 21/23 SAS is laughable, they have no combat experience.

Until they do its all hotair.

On paper the ARW selection tests look pretty mild compared to those done for winged dagger.

The end of TA SAS selection is over 4 weeks its a series of longer and fully loaded marches, the last two solo, candidates carry 85lbs of kit in total, you are told map grid references once, at checkpoints which you have to remember.......different ballgame then group marches.

The vast majority of TA SAS are ex regulars.

When the Wing do this on selection, let me know.

The Long Drag is a slang term which refers to an event that marks the culmination of the Fitness and Navigation phase of UK Special Forces Selection and the Pathfinder Platoon cadre[citation needed]. The event, also known simply as Endurance, involves a 64 kilometre (40 mile) long distance march over the Brecon Beacons of Wales. Candidates shoulder a Bergen backpack that weighs 25 kilogrammes (not including water, food and rifle) and they must complete the route in less than twenty hours. Candidates are prohibited from using established trails and all navigation must be performed by map, compass and memorised grid references. The event is especially demanding because it comes at the end of an intense four weeks of marches and runs.[1]

TA SAS also have a close Protection role.

" Some SAS Reservists were reported to be carrying out close protection duties for Foreign Office personnel in Kabul, Afghanistan's capital city."

In the 1991 Gulf War, members of SAS(R) were used as battlefield casualty replacements for deployed 22 SAS units, namely landrover fighting columns from A and D Squadrons who were operating in the Iraqi Desert.

SAS Reservists deployed to the Balkans in the mid-90s. Members from 21 and 23 SAS formed a composite unit known as 'V Squadron' and were engaged in peace support operations.

In 2003, it was reported that 21 and 23 SAS had been operating in Afghanistan where they have carried out long range reconnaissance operations(1).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Lads, it's Friday night...The last 5 posts have just made me spill my beer all over my keyboard :-/ Please for the love of christ stop talking utter bollix and do one would you..

Opps 6 posts... still laughing.

URH (Unite de Recherche Humaine) Of 2 REP fit the definition of Tier 1.

No.
    The tier 1 special forces unit of the French Army is 1 RPIMa.
    There are other special forces units within the French Navy but 1 RPIMa is the number 1.

The Group Commando Parachutist and the Group Commando Montaigne are not Special Forces but more like elite infantry.

Nice the way you totally dodged all the other refutations of the twaddle you typed. Anyway, you seem like just another walter mitty clueless wannabe, but I could be wrong, feel free to correct me. My work here is done.

• Advertisement

Where did I say RMs or FFL were special forces, you are mixing me up.

Units linked to them are ie the SBS and above.

We can all brag on the net about experiences, no point if they cant be verified.

Your claim the ARW are a more professional unit then 21/23 SAS is laughable, they have no combat experience.

Until they do its all hotair.

On paper the ARW selection tests look pretty mild compared to those done for winged dagger.

The end of TA SAS selection is over 4 weeks its a series of longer and fully loaded marches, the last two solo, candidates carry 85lbs of kit in total, you are told map grid references once, at checkpoints which you have to remember.......different ballgame then group marches.

The vast majority of TA SAS are ex regulars.

When the Wing do this on selection, let me know.

The Long Drag is a slang term which refers to an event that marks the culmination of the Fitness and Navigation phase of UK Special Forces Selection and the Pathfinder Platoon cadre[citation needed]. The event, also known simply as Endurance, involves a 64 kilometre (40 mile) long distance march over the Brecon Beacons of Wales. Candidates shoulder a Bergen backpack that weighs 25 kilogrammes (not including water, food and rifle) and they must complete the route in less than twenty hours. Candidates are prohibited from using established trails and all navigation must be performed by map, compass and memorised grid references. The event is especially demanding because it comes at the end of an intense four weeks of marches and runs.[1]

Okay Walter, have a good Friday and don't get too excited while pretending to be SF on Call of Duty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement