Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Ghandee wrote: »
    And you look like a silly one paying it. :pac:
    Maybe maybe, but i already got done over on the bin charges, cost us a fortune when we sold our house, the sale couldn't go through till we paid the council all the money we owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Maybe he should if he's so pissed off at the state of the roads, price of fuel, then yes he should go live in a cave.

The is a Cave Tax coming in soon.

john256 wrote: »
    i have no intention of paying any charge
    i live in rural ireland and we have been pissed down on for too long
    post offices gone,garda stations gone,local pups shut we have had enough

The place has really gone to the dogs! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

I cycle, so I don't need to bitch about the price of fuel or the roads messing up the suspension. Maybe you should look at that option save you a fortune on diesel.

Sounds lovely, we're truly delighted for your smugness.
    Meanwhile the rest of us live in the real world, and have to work in a real job for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Gorteen wrote: »
    Paid
    HA HA!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Sounds lovely, we're truly delighted for your smugness.
    Meanwhile the rest of us live in the real world, and have to work in a real job for a living.
    Gareth2011, What about a bicycle registration tax, to be paid yearly just like road tax for cars etc.
    Cyclists use the roads and those roads don't maintain themselves you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

The exact same thing as a creditor you owe money too. Be it CU or main street bank if you don't pay your loan and you can't they will register it as a judgement against your property. Just because the creditor will be the state doesn't mean it can't or won't come into force the exact same way.

And of course if they want to make a few examples, nothing to stop them getting a well charging sale order via the courts. Quite a few options open to them really!!

If you assume that the annual charge rises to Eur700 a year & that you triple it for penalties, charges and interest for defaulters, you'd be looking at a bill of Eur25k over 12 years!!!

Anyway, everybody has to make up their own mind. I just think that people who don't want to contribute their share to the resolution of the problems in this country should move to another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Anyway, everybody has to make up their own mind. I just think that people who don't want to contribute their share to the resolution of the problems in this country should move to another country.

Have you seen the emigration figures lately?

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2011-01-24/ireland/irish-emigration-at-record-high.htm

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

If you assume that the annual charge rises to Eur700 a year & that you triple it for penalties, charges and interest for defaulters, you'd be looking at a bill of Eur25k over 12 years!!!

That's it I'm definitely not paying now.

By not registering and paying, you'll save at least 4k over 30 years, and thats not including the saving on the TV licence, and septic tank charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

SafeSurfer wrote: »

If they aspire to be homeowners in their new countries it is likely they will have to pay property taxes. The Polish ambassador said on the radio today that there are approx 150,000 Poles here so we are a destination country as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If they aspire to be homeowners in their new countries it is likely they will have to pay property taxes. The Polish ambassador said on the radio today that there are approx 150,000 Poles here so we are a destination country as well.

Yes and they will be forced to pay for the homes they left behind also.

I wonder what county will have the highest level of non compliance. My guess is Donegal.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

Yes but if you spend money on a drink - you get a drink.
    What do you get for the €8.33 a month?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

V Eight wrote: »
    Yes but if you spend money on a drink - you get a drink.
    What do you get for the €8.33 a month?:confused:

Tax compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

Tax compliance.

point taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Apart from not breaking the law can any justify paying this to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Apart from not breaking the law can any justify paying this to me?

It will raise some revenue that is badly needed now

donalg1 wrote: »

No matter how much they raise it will never be enough. This debt cannot be paid and Enda didn't even try to get it reduced. He might lose face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Should probably have watched vinnie browne. FG TD Peter Mathews met with some German committee. According to him they had no idea of our private debt to public debt ratio.

In equivalent terms, he said, it would be like Germany having €1.35 trillion of private debt hanging over it's economy. Would the Germans increase taxation and kill their economic growth at a time when growth is most needed??

Would they fuhk.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No matter how much they raise it will never be enough. This debt cannot be paid and Enda didn't even try to get it reduced. He might lose face.

The interest rate was cut from 6.5 to 3.5%. I suppose the hope is it will be cut again.
    squod wrote: »
    Should probably have watched vinnie browne. FG TD Peter Mathews met with some German committee. According to him they had no idea of our private debt to public debt ratio.

In equivalent terms, he said, it would be like Germany having €1.35 trillion of private debt hanging over it's economy. Would the Germans increase taxation and kill their economic growth at a time when growth is most needed??

Would they fuhk.

I'd say most Germans would point to how they've no minimum wage, high Income tax and Social Insurance and had little wage increases during the last decade.

Probably, chance of having high private debt would be a fine thing, then again, probably not! We used to have an attitude about debt too, it got ditched somewhere along the way.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

It will be a complete waste no tax will plug the deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

A very simplistic reply from someonr who doesn't know too much about worldwide economics but would be very aware of everyday econonics. In the boom i was offered money from many institutions. Did I accept?No..Many big developers and banks,financial institutions did deals for millions..I'm surviving because of my realistic thinking at the time. Anything I owe to anyone comes out of my account first and foremost before any other spending occours. This will be the first time that I refuse to pay any tax required of me. Why? There has to be a point where you say NO. Go after the people who caused the problem. Wheather it be the politician who agreed shady deals, business man who overextended himself,bankmanager who agreed big loans.Whoever! But I worked hard,lived within my means and am now expected to pay ANOTHER tax that I gain nothing from..

jluv wrote: »
    A very simplistic reply from someonr who doesn't know too much about worldwide economics but would be very aware of everyday econonics. In the boom i was offered money from many institutions. Did I accept?No..Many big developers and banks,financial institutions did deals for millions..I'm surviving because of my realistic thinking at the time. Anything I owe to anyone comes out of my account first and foremost before any other spending occours. This will be the first time that I refuse to pay any tax required of me. Why? There has to be a point where you say NO. Go after the people who caused the problem. Wheather it be the politician who agreed shady deals, business man who overextended himself,bankmanager who agreed big loans.Whoever! But I worked hard,lived within my means and am now expected to pay ANOTHER tax that I gain nothing from..

Well anyone who thinks economics is a science is a bit misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

But in a better position than most finacially however still not sure how paying a tax that I get nothing back for benefits me?

jluv wrote: »
    But in a better position than most finacially however still not sure how paying a tax that I get nothing back for benefits me?

Im not for paying a tax I frankly think its absolute idiocy. No respect for people who rush to pay a tax for a government who clearly thinks nothing of the people who pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed, it's very much a study into human behaviour and insight. Fascinating topic.

You often get people quoting economists who say, a year earlier, they'd have been diametrically opposed to! Or when it suits, they speak sense!

Put Politics into Economics and any pretence at Science is gone out the window!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So your attitude then is whatever we pay wont be enough so we arent going to pay a single cent, we wont even bother trying!!

Great attitude to have alright reminds me of some peoples attitude that got us into this mess in the first place.

"my mortgage is €1,000 this month but I will only be able to pay €900 so screw it I wont pay anything at all seeing as I will be in arrears anyway"

Thank god we all dont have that silly attitude, I still fail to see why anyone who has a problem with paying the taxes in a country still wants to live here and assume they can pick and choose which ones they pay, I mean surely you pay all the ones you are liable to pay or you gtfo

So your attitude then is whatever we pay wont be enough so we arent going to pay a single cent, we wont even bother trying!!

Great attitude to have alright reminds me of some peoples attitude that got us into this mess in the first place.

"my mortgage is €1,000 this month but I will only be able to pay €900 so screw it I wont pay anything at all seeing as I will be in arrears anyway"

Thank god we all dont have that silly attitude, I still fail to see why anyone who has a problem with paying the taxes in a country still wants to live here and assume they can pick and choose which ones they pay, I mean surely you pay all the ones you are liable to pay or you gtfo

I managed my own finances and did a good job because I paid my bill and I now owe very little as I nearly have everything paid. How did I do it ? I always stayed within my means, did without holidays, up to date car, spent very little on luxuries of any kind and raised my family to be the same, without any education grants.

What did the people who got us into this mess do ?
    Borrowed far too much, partied, ran before they could walk, bought mansions and holiday homes and always upgraded their car annually. The developers borrowed and borrowed and were encouraged to do so by the ever willing lenders in the banks. The politicians encouraged this, the regulator turned a blind eye to it.

Now when things have gone belly-up who do they want to pay for it ? Little old me.
    They can S**** and fall back in it. I ain't paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I managed my own finances and did a good job because I paid my bill and I now owe very little as I nearly have everything paid. How did I do it ? I always stayed within my means, did without holidays, up to date car, spent very little on luxuries of any kind and raised my family to be the same, without any education grants.

Borrowed far too much, partied, ran before they could walk, bought mansions and holiday homes and always upgraded their car annually. The developers borrowed and borrowed and were encouraged to do so by the ever willing lenders in the banks. The politicians encouraged this, the regulator turned a blind eye to it.

Now when things have gone belly-up who do they want to pay for it ? Little old me.

Ok so what is your plan? What are you going to do if a fine is imposed on you? Will you refuse to pay that? Would you go to court over it?

• Advertisement

Thats all good and well and I am not disputing any part of what you said above and I feel the same too, I am not one bit happy about having to pay for the mistakes of others as I too managed my finances accordingly and did not in anyway contribute to the mess we are in, have never defaulted on any loan have never missed a payment on any loan I took out, mainly because I only ever borrowed within my means and by within my means I mean that no matter how bad things got for me, whether I am on Social Welfare I could still afford my loan repayments.

However, fact is the country is screwed and was ruined by the greedy but like it or not everyone now has to pay for the mistakes of a few, thats the country we live in today. If we all refuse to pay then the country will fall further into the s*** and we will all be just as responsible for the mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement