Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Just around 4% of households have registered for the household charge, 68,000 out of 1,700,000.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/180910-only-5-have-registered-pay-household-charge.html

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Just around 4% of households have registered for the household charge, 68,000 out of 1,700,000.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/180910-only-5-have-registered-pay-household-charge.html

€6,800,000 Pppffttt........ wouldn't even pay a consultant's pension

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

squod wrote: »
    €6,800,000 Pppffttt........ wouldn't even pay a consultant's pension

Our little discussion group here doesn't really matter does it? 1700 people out of 1,700,000 voting pppftt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

[Troll]Poll says 1353 votes so far not 1700:P[/Troll]

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If they're not going to write to every house telling us we owe a €100, when they come looking to take you to court could you play dumb and say you don't listen to Irish radio/watch Irish TV or read irish newspapers and didn't know anything about it?

Yep, and if you kill someone, you can just say you didn't realise murder was a crime.

Not paying a charge a lot of people cant afford does not equal murder. Differnt laws have different levels of logic or lunacy attached to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im genuinely interested to see how this is going to pan out. It seems to me that if you don't plan on selling your house in the next 12 years then the government have no way of forcing you to pay. No doubt if huge swathes of the population don't pay they will bring in other legislation to combat it in other ways.

The bottom line is there is a huge hole in our public finances (never mind what we owe to the troika) that has to be plugged somehow. At the moment a huge lump of the governments revenue comes from taxes such as VAT and Stamp duty both of which are directly related to economic performance. Our government needs more dependable sources of income that won't fluctuate with the economy. Most countries have a property tax and to be honest by european standards €100 euro per year is f*ck all, it will have to increase a lot over the next few years to bring it to similar amounts that people pay in france and germany.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Not paying a charge a lot of people cant afford does not equal murder. Differnt laws have different levels of logic or lunacy attached to them

I find it hard to believe there is anybody in this country who can't afford €8.33 a month. That the price of 2 pints ffs.

And Jack ignorance isn't a valid excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MadYaker wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe there is anybody in this country who can't afford €8.33 a month. That the price of 2 pints ffs.

Its a pity you didn't bother to read the whole thread and i am not going to say it again for you in its entirety BUT every dog in the street knows it wont stay at 100e and that is why paying the initial fee will have you on the register and at their mercy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

€100 euro per year is f*ck all,

€300 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

That's two pints of stout that I would prefer go down my throat than a couple of mls of kristal champagne down the neck of some obscenely rich bond holder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

steddyeddy wrote: »

You can pay in installments? If people are getting their electricity cut of because they cant afford it an extra hundred would matter. Ask a social worker about what people in this country can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A lot of people can't judging by the amount of people who can't keep their electricity bills paid or can't afford heating. I bet they would love to be in a position with a disposable income but without any smugness.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Lets make it abundantly clear here.

No one can force you to pay this unjust, unfair tax, (which goes straight to billionaire bondholders btw)

Non payers force a "fine:rolleyes:" or total plus interest deducted from the final sale of your house.

But after twelve years it becomes wiped clear...... (i.E you no longer owe, and they can no longer deduct from the sale of your property)

So, twelve years from now, when you lot are paying thousands per year for foolishly registering and paying for this unfair Levy, we who haven't paid/registered don't have to pay a penny, and legally the govt cannot do a thing about it, including being:D unable to attach the charge to property/properties you own.
    Why oh why would anyone bother making an eejit out of themselves to pay it, when there are no repercussions involved if you don't (after twelve years anyway)
    Personally, with my house in negative equity, i'm willing to sweat it out for twelve years, lord knows it'll take twelve or a hell of a lot more to return to its previous mortgaged price!

Didn't really think that one out properly, did you lads. You gombeens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Paid

Gorteen wrote: »
    Paid

Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Paid

Schönen Dank,

Angela xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Im genuinely interested to see how this is going to pan out. It seems to me that if you don't plan on selling your house in the next 12 years then the government have no way of forcing you to pay. No doubt if huge swathes of the population don't pay they will bring in other legislation to combat it in other ways.

The bottom line is there is a huge hole in our public finances (never mind what we owe to the troika) that has to be plugged somehow. At the moment a huge lump of the governments revenue comes from taxes such as VAT and Stamp duty both of which are directly related to economic performance. Our government needs more dependable sources of income that won't fluctuate with the economy. Most countries have a property tax and to be honest by european standards €100 euro per year is f*ck all, it will have to increase a lot over the next few years to bring it to similar amounts that people pay in france and germany.

....assuming that the only resolution open to the local authority is placing a charge on your home.

They can (of course) fine you for late payment, register judgement against you for non payment and apply the full collections protocol that is used for all tax defaulters.

Agree with your comments re:magnitude of this mickey mouse charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Ghandee wrote: »
    But after twelve years it becomes wiped clear...... (i.E you no longer owe, and they can no longer deduct from the sale of your property)

Hi, I'm looking for further reputable info/links on this aspect please, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Most reputable place you can look at is the Irish court system.

See what happens when somebody doesn't pay their legitimately accumulated debts.

For some reason some people now seem to have resorted to the conclusion that the local authorities will take no action in the intervening 12 year window from when the debt first becomes due!! Astonishing! I presume they won't want water for that period either. Those who have registered will understand the link.

BTW, even if the charge was not collected within the first 12 years, the liability relating to the most recent 12 still remains outstanding. Based on the consensus view that the charge will ultimately increase to some sort of a relevant amount, the liability will be big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

....assuming that the only resolution open to the local authority is placing a charge on your home.

They can (of course) fine you for late payment, register judgement against you for non payment and apply the full collections protocol that is used for all tax defaulters.

Agree with your comments re:magnitude of this mickey mouse charge.

The exact same thing as a creditor you owe money too. Be it CU or main street bank if you don't pay your loan and you can't they will register it as a judgement against your property. Just because the creditor will be the state doesn't mean it can't or won't come into force the exact same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 john256

i have no intention of paying any charge
    i live in rural ireland and we have been pissed down on for too long
    post offices gone,garda stations gone,local pups shut we have had enough
    i have no problem paying a charge if we recieve something for it i have my own septic tank,my own water i pay a fortune for diesel for the privalige of living in the country i pay road tax for crap roads
    i have had enough and im not paying either of these charges septic tank or water or household they can lock me up
    if i could move from this god forsaken country i would but im stuck with a house i cant sell and even if i did i would lose thousands no job and no future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Household Charge
    Paid

Angela likes this "thumbs up".

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

john256 wrote: »
    i have no problem paying a charge if we recieve something for it i have my own septic tank,my own water i pay a fortune for diesel for the privalige of living in the country i pay road tax for crap roads
    i have had enough and im not paying either of these charges septic tank or water or household they can lock me up
    if i could move from this god forsaken country i would but im stuck with a house i cant sell and even if i did i would lose thousands no job and no future

You can hardly blame the government for your local pub closing and your post office. My post office closed too but they retired and new owner opened up across the road. As for the pub if they lost business because of the smoking ban they should have put in a smoking shelter. You can't blame the government for you living in the country and paying a fortune for diesel because of it. I live in the country too with no car and you know what I do to get around? I cycle, so I don't need to bitch about the price of fuel or the roads messing up the suspension. Maybe you should look at that option save you a fortune on diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

john256 wrote: »
    Jesuz if your lifes that ****e why not just do yourself in, I mean f**k the charge (which I paid) but you sound like one miserable poor bollox

mod: poster banned.

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    You can hardly blame the government for your local pub closing and your post office. My post office closed too but they retired and new owner opened up across the road. As for the pub if they lost business because of the smoking ban they should have put in a smoking shelter. You can't blame the government for you living in the country and paying a fortune for diesel because of it. I live in the country too with no car and you know what I do to get around? I cycle, so I don't need to bitch about the price of fuel or the roads messing up the suspension. Maybe you should look at that option save you a fortune on diesel.

Jaysus.

Maybe he should sell the house and live in a cave while he's at it. :rolleyes:

If you read the thread you would see I linked it a few pages ago.

https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx#fk19

I would like to know why they put a 12 year limit on it. Seems strange you'd think it would be more effective if it was permanent.

Will the government apply the usual treatment for tax defaulters to people who don't pay the charge? As in fines, court appearances and jail if it goes that far? There is no mention of this on the website for the household charge. Have any members of government said that this is what will happen?

lividduck wrote: »
    Jesuz if your lifes that ****e why not just do yourself in, I mean f**k the charge (which I paid) but you sound like one miserable poor bollox

And you look like a silly one paying it. :pac:

lividduck wrote: »
    Jesuz if your lifes that ****e why not just do yourself in,

Bertie, glad you could join us.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    Jaysus.

Maybe he should sell the house and live in a cave while he's at it. :rolleyes:

Maybe he should if he's so pissed off at the state of the roads, price of fuel, then yes he should go live in a cave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement