Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

200k is 0.00125% of the current budget deficit.
    Multiplied by the 101 other ways you apparently have and we've come up with 0.126%.

Well done, only another 99.87% to go.

It would have covered the wage increase of Enda's adviser for a good many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Ian64

It would have covered the wage increase of Enda's adviser for a good many years.
    Which has nothing to do with the property tax!

Ian64 wrote: »
    Which has nothing to do with the property tax!

it could have helped him to pay his :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Maybe you hang out with a certain type of person:D

I did the same exercise last week. Everyone (without exception) that I know is paying it. An even more interesting exercise imo.

Feck lads, here`s Donal, just say we are all paying, it will be easier:pac:

robbie7730 wrote: »

He hangs out with his Party faithful no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

You can empathise with that particular post, yet you call for a €700 property tax as soon as possible (post#1166).

So living standards for you wont be too bad, just others already at disaster stage now. Maybe that will change for you if the country goes into the abyss, and thats all your losing sleep over, where as for many others, it really cant get much worse.

No wonder other posters think you have a government influenced agenda, because you really sound like a party member.

Well that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

There's a big diff between 'not able to pay it' (even if that is only your own perception) and 'not willing to pay it' which is the stance adopted by a lot of the goons on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Ah grand. Tell you what, if it satisfies you and Tayto lover, I'll say I am in FG (or whatever party you want) even though I'm not. I couldn't give a monkey's.

Now. Hopefully that fixes everything. Now pay your tax.

Ah grand. Tell you what, if it satisfies you and Tayto lover, I'll say I am in FG (or whatever party you want) even though I'm not. I couldn't give a monkey's.

Yeah right. We believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

You can empathise with that particular post, yet you call for a €700 property tax as soon as possible (post#1166).

So living standards for you wont be too bad, just others already at disaster stage now. Maybe that will change for you if the country goes into the abyss, and thats all your losing sleep over, where as for many others, it really cant get much worse.

No wonder other posters think you have a government influenced agenda, because you really sound like a party member.

It could get worse though. Our tax revenue at the moment is approx €34B versus expenses of ~€52B, so we are capable of financing about 66% of our expenditure (that €18B hole relates to public spending deficit, not the banks).

If we were to default nobody will lend to us and we'll have to close the €18B hole immediately. Some hypothethical events;
    • Dole, pensions, disability, etc. and public sector pay would be cut by around 40%
    • Subsidised third level fees, rent allowance, childrens allowance (needless to say public services such as schools, hospitals, functioning police force) would all be in shreds
    • Far less infrastructural maintenance
    • The sudden sharp collapse of disposable income floating around the economy would make unemployment rise quickly
    • This in turn would mean less tax revenue and more welfare expenditure....
    So tax credits would be reduced and we'd be well on our way back to the 1980's when VAT stood at ~35% and the government was taking about 65% of your gross pay in deductions.

But that would be cool, because at least we wouldve given two fingers to the IMF (greedy bastards, lending us money at a cheaper rate than we were ever able to get on the markets, even at the height of the boom!!) and stood up to the bankers who are trying to make us pay a property tax to fund their gold yachts that they sail around in an ocean of diamonds while swigging brandy and laughing at us :)

If this property tax fails then the government can simply do something like say, gradually reduce all tax credits by about €700 a year instead or something. Would that be prefereable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

200k is 0.00125% of the current budget deficit.
    Multiplied by the 101 other ways you apparently have and we've come up with 0.126%.

Well done, only another 99.87% to go.

1,462,296 dwellings in the country. Deduct the number of dwellings inelligable for the property tax. Multiply that number by one hundred.

Say we make one hundred million from this caper. What percentage of our budget deficit is that?

I'll tell you. It's fuhk all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well now Donal, post #1415 was just a joke, suggesting why everyone you know has told you they are paying, without exception.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

squod wrote: »
    1,462,296 dwellings in the country. Deduct the number of dwellings inelligable for the property tax. Multiply that number by one hundred.

Say we make one hundred million from this caper. What percentage of our budget deficit is that?

I'll tell you. It's fuhk all!

It'll pay for the pensions of a few top public servants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

There's OAPs who have been living on farm income subsidies most of their lives. Some of them haven't ever even had a dog licence FFS.

Likewise foreign nationals living in apartment blocks who wouldn't know what a TV licence is......

The truth of the matter is the low hanging fuit will be picked from the tree first. Just another tax which will be avoided by those who can.

He hangs out with his Party faithful no doubt.
    "Party Faithful" a real Fianna Fail expression, no surprise there then!

There's OAPs who have been living on farm income subsidies most of their lives. Some of them haven't ever even had a dog licence FFS.

Likewise foreign nationals living in apartment blocks who wouldn't know what a TV licence is......

The truth of the matter is the low hanging fuit will be picked from the tree first. Just another tax which will be avoided by those who can.
    There are no shortage of forigen nationals who pay all their taxes, why the need to introduce petty racisism?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Hijpo

If you can pay it, pay it, how they expect people to pay the fine if they cant pay the 100 euro in the first place is idiocy and can only be described as scaremongering of the highest order.

Can any of the "pro household tax and water rate" or troll posters like bishop, ian64 and black tell me how much the government is earning by charging every plane that flies over irish air space?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Is it an offence to urge and campaign, that people should break the law?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Although i disagree completely with the water charge i too feel that i will be paying it. Too busy to attend court and all that. Anyway, i'll just cut back spending elsewhere, to offset whatever it costs now and in the future.

Anyway, does anyone find that "Uproar-osity" is inversely proportional to the amount of money we get shafted for? The conspiracy theorist in me seems to think so! Are we mad or what??!!

Hijpo wrote: »
    If you can pay it, pay it, how they expect people to pay the fine if they cant pay the 100 euro in the first place is idiocy and can only be described as scaremongering of the highest order.

Can any of the "pro household tax and water rate" or troll posters like bishop, ian64 and black tell me how much the government is earning by charging every plane that flies over irish air space?
    If youb cant win the arguement just personally abuse those who disagree with you is obviously your motto, this thread is about the household tax and i havnt notice any flying houses lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Xenophile wrote: »
    Is it an offence to urge and campaign, that people should break the law?

Ask Martin Luther King.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mikom wrote: »
    Ask Martin Luther King.

Yeah, this campaign goes down in the same annals as King, Ali and Rosa Parkes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, this campaign goes down in the same annals as King, Ali and Rosa Parkes.

Rosa Parkes...... is she from Parke's Castle in Sligo?

Rosa Parks?
    Never said that.
    History will be written by the victors. , so best to leave the annals aside for a while.

Ask Martin Luther King.
    good to see you that you have a sense of humour!

Ian64

*Humorously sniggers at the vested interest possibilities.*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rosa Parkes...... is she from Parke's Castle in Sligo?

Rosa Parks?
    Never said that.
    History will be written by the victors. , so best to leave the annals aside for a while.

He's a great spell checker too.

What would we do without Mikom.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ian64

*Humorously sniggers at the vested interest possibilities.*
    I have no isssue in declaring a vested interest, i have a vested interest in seeing my country recover and in protecting it from the worst excesses of the looney left "something for nothing-you pay for me" brigade.
    As for your sniggering, i am minded of the old expression "what you expect from a pig but a grunt".

K-9 wrote: »
    He's a great spell checker too.

What would we do without Mikom.
    So I make some spelling mistakes, thats hardly a crime. Unlike encouraging other to become tax evaders, which is a crime!

I have no isssue in declaring a vested interest, i have a vested interest in seeing my country recover and in protecting it from the worst excesses of the looney left "something for nothing-you pay for me" brigade.
    As for your sniggering, i am minded of the old expression "what you expect from a pig but a grunt".

95% grunts?

Damn and Blast!
    Cant find the bit in the Charter and posting rules that says you can only post if your grammer and spelling are correct!
    Obviously however, so long as you spell check your messages then no matter how economically illiterate and politically bankrupt your postings are, you must be right!
    And everyone who doesn't agree with you must be a FG member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

There are no shortage of forigen nationals who pay all their taxes, why the need to introduce petty racisism?

WTF? Are you for real? Because I disagree with you I'm automtically a bad person, is that it? Has it not occured to you that you are in the wrong?

Check the poll again.

I don't see how slandering other posters makes your argument more credible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement