Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

alastair wrote: »
    You haven't heard the news about water charges?

yes, of course. lets see how that pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Sionach wrote: »
    That doesn't answer the question I posed. Can't admit your wrong.

So, you're saying the poll tax wasn't a tax either?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

hondasam wrote: »
    I would not say that, even people who are unemployed can afford €2 a week.

Am I missing the option to pay by 2 euro a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Ghandee wrote: »
    who told you that?
    Someone from the govt?

Lying hoors the lot of em!:pac:

Come join the no side Alastair, not to late yet.
    I already paid this unjust tax, is it too late for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I expect a standing charge on water, probably €200-€250 a year until they role out meters which will take years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Can you confirm the name of the topic in which you are posting.

Never thought id be agreeing with alastair in this thread, but it certainly is a tax.
    It's a charge. You don't have to register for taxes. You do have to register for charges. For example bin charges.

emo72 wrote: »
    yes, of course. lets see how that pans out.

Different circumstances, different realities. We had our break from rates, and it didn't work out. Time to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, because we don't pay enough....it's all very simple!
    There was enough at the height of the bubble and we still didn't get them.
    What makes you think that'll change now?

It's a charge. You don't have to register for taxes. You do have to register for charges. For example bin charges.

You don't have to register to be liable for this tax. That much is going to become much clearer to many in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

That doesn't answer the question I posed. Can't admit your wrong.

So, you're saying the poll tax wasn't a tax either?
    Poll TAX, Household CHARGE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You do not have to register for bin charges here. That is a private transaction between you and the bin company. You can always dispose of your own rubbish.

Poll TAX, Household CHARGE.

So, you don't know what the poll tax was actually termed? Wikipedia might be your friend there.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I was thinking of this,srs.

What if for the next 3 or 4 years we just gave cent of disposible income to the goverment to pay of our debts,i mean everything.We just keep enough for food,heating,alcohol and cigs etc etc,the bare essentials.

LOL

Different circumstances, different realities. We had our break from rates, and it didn't work out. Time to move on.

yea but, before we move on. do you acknowledge the backtrack? just to let people know that sometimes when there is enough of a protest that governments change their minds. its happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

lividduck wrote: »
    I already paid this unjust tax, is it too late for me?

Not at all!

Sure I'm exempt!

Told all posters on this thread (when I found out I was exempt) I was exempt, but I'd oppose it to the end.

If something doesn't sit right, it's up to you to say so.

Move over in the bed lads, let livid in lol!

emo72 wrote: »
    yea but, before we move on. do you acknowledge the backtrack? just to let people know that sometimes when there is enough of a protest that governments change their minds. its happened before.

No need to go back that far - the OAP's and medical cards aren't that long ago - but this is a far bigger deal, and they've committed to the troika to get this sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Roverek

Let's put this to bed - you'll have to pay up one way or another - hoping that enough volume of people will be prepared to go to court is only going to lead to disappointment. The state will either bring people before the court or ensure the debt (with tasty penalties) will be anchored to the property, so it can't be sold or transferred without payment. There's no hiding from the obligation to pay up. Your gaff is hard to disguise.
    How much do you get paid for posting this?
    Put me into jail. You will pay for my food and tv behind the bars. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Money you pay to a government for their expenditure is tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Ghandee wrote: »
    Not at all!

Sure I'm exempt!

Told all posters on this thread (when I found out I was exempt) I was exempt, but I'd oppose it to the end.

If something doesn't sit right, it's up to you to say so.

Move over in the bed lads, let livid in lol!
    happy to join, but anyone farts in the bed I'll get very ffing nasty!
    Be nice to be on the same side as yourself,tayto,Gerry and the one and only Biggins1
    Don't Register and Don't pay

Roverek wrote: »
    How much do you get paid for posting this?
    Put me into jail. You will pay for my food and tv behind the bars. Good luck!

Just to be that bit clearer - you don't need to be put in jail (unless you wind a judge up by being an arse) - they'll get the money anyway. No-one will need to subsidise your lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You don't have to register to be liable for this tax. That much is going to become much clearer to many in short order.

Short order?
    Considering the efficiency and professionalism afforded to the original campaign.........
    There are a few heave-ho's to come folks.

mikom wrote: »
    Short order?
    Considering the efficiency and professionalism afforded to the original campaign.........
    There are a few heave-ho's to come folks.

I thought today was supposed to be the real show of resistance? That's what I was told anyway. It's promises, promises with you lads.

(admittedly - 'short order' could mean a bit of a wait - but it'll happen regardless)

Old Phil has been hit by all sides including his own party members. Not looking like he is up to the job.

No need to go back that far - the OAP's and medical cards aren't that long ago - but this is a far bigger deal, and they've committed to the troika to get this sorted.

yea, i dont think the government has a choice. they have to be seen to implement it. it would suit them to blame a mass boycott. unfortunately for our government they will need to seek re-election.

this is all pissing against the wind anyway. 160 million is a drop in the ocean compared to over 3 billion that has to be cut in the next budget. its an impossible task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

Looks like the numbers protesting at the Ard Dheis may have been higher than reported by RTE.

Hopefully this has a snowball effect and more people get out and protest, it will certainly make Kenny and co. sit up and take notice
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/protest-group-claim-10000-attend-household-charge-march-545750.html

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I expect a standing charge on water, probably €200-€250 a year until they role out meters which will take years.
    And that is the problem. They are too lazy to do anything properly. Property tax is fair if it depends on the value of the house.
    Motor tax depends on the size of the engine it is not a flat charge!

Link doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's promises, promises with you lads.

Lol at the irony.
    Put that on a postcard and stick it in FG Phils slot why doncha......

Just to be that bit clearer - you don't need to be put in jail (unless you wind a judge up by being an arse) - they'll get the money anyway. No-one will need to subsidise your lunch.
    You will :-),thank you.

• Advertisement

Roverek wrote: »
    And that is the problem. They are too lazy to do anything properly. Property tax is fair if it depends on the value of the house.
    Motor tax depends on the size of the engine it is not a flat charge!

Poor planning by your public authority has lead to significant numbers of house built over the past 10 years without water meters. These are the same wasteful officials this tax is going to be given too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement