Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I wonder how many more of the pro household charge people on here actually own property?

One doesn't need to own a liable property to be entitled to an opinion on this tax. The majority of people will end up owning a property at some stage in their lives and will thus be affected by this tax.

And btw, I do own a liable property.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

What effect did stamp duty have on prices?

None in a market that was rising at almost double digit figures yearly for about for about 10 years.Those that got in early and sold at the right time made a hefty profit because there was plenty of buyers willing to throw any amount money at them.

But the market has changed as we all know and were current property buyers may make an offer anywhere between 5-20% of current asking prices,future buyers will have to consider a property tax of lets say 1000 euro a year.A lifetime living in a property would add 10's of thousands to the cost of owning property so would you not think the buyer would also deduct this from their offer therefore devaluing the cost of the sellers home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 PocketAA

THE FIRST REASON

- I work hard - Honest hard work and contribute to our Private Sector economy. PAYE workers continue to overpay any obligation to Bank bad debts through USC as well as recent and potential future Income Tax adjustments.

Now it is critical for the worker to Switch TAX liability to Property Owners.
    (if You are Renting 14 apartments you pay 14 x Property Charges)

I'll pay once for my family home.

The alternative to registering is more and more income tax on my wages.

THE SECOND REASON I AM HAPPY I PAID IS...

- Stupid ignorant lazy minded anarchists and toxic retarded anti-business attention seekers can no longer hijack (through statistics) my non payment as support for their economically retarded whinging. God I am sick that I gave Joe Higgens a transfer vote in a naive whim that behind the quest to carve out a career in represententing the naive there might be a force focused on impactful change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

i wonder what benefit someone leaving out in the middle of the country miles from the nearest town is going to get from the household charge.

i wonder what benefit somebody who is emigrating in a month or two is going to get from the household charge.

i wonder what benefit the government is going to get in 2012 and 2013 from the household charge since they will have spent so much trying to get people to pay it that they will hake a loss.

i wonder why all the people in ireland are cowards who said they wouldnt pay and are now letting the media bully them into paying the household charge.

i wonder why the people have to sort out their own payment of the household charge when the government could easily have taken 2euro a week off each working persons wages and social welfare and benefits to a lesser degree and called this the household charge thereby saving lts of taxpayers money in the future.

i wonder how the government expects every man woman and child liable for the household charge to pay. Are they going to go halfway up a mountain in Kerry or travel to a remote island off Donegal to knock on a persons door to get the household charge.

I wonder does the government realise that some of the people on the land registry files have just recently deceased or have fecked off to live somewhere else and will by no means be paying the household charge.

I wonder why everyone rich and poor have to pay the household charge. Its as bad as playing a Merseyside Derby FA Cup Semi-Final at 12-30pm.

I wonder if I will pay the household charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it seems that the people of Ireland have shown themselves up again as the spineless ***lickers that they truly are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

For people who might of missed this little bit of information in the 2011 census published recently. It says that there are now 2,000,000 households in Ireland. Not the 1,800,000 according to the Government figures regarding the Household charge.

Above is a link to the census results. Scroll down to page 17. It shows an increase to 2,004,000 homes in Aprils census.

This changes the figures. And more importantly the percentages of compliance.

Housing

Total housing stock

Housing numbers (dwellings) have increased more rapidly than total population between 2006 and
    2011, with a 13.3 per cent increase in dwellings compared with 8.1 per cent for the population. The
    number of dwellings increased by 234,562 from 1,769,613 in 2006 to 2,004,175 in 2011, representing
    an annual average increase of 46,912.

Its a choice we have - Tax Property owners...or Tax Workers with more Income Tax and VAT...?

I'm for the worker

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭pache

pauldry wrote: »
    i wonder what benefit someone leaving out in the middle of the country miles from the nearest town is going to get from the household charge.

i wonder what benefit somebody who is emigrating in a month or two is going to get from the household charge.

i wonder what benefit the government is going to get in 2012 and 2013 from the household charge since they will have spent so much trying to get people to pay it that they will hake a loss.

i wonder why all the people in ireland are cowards who said they wouldnt pay and are now letting the media bully them into paying the household charge.

i wonder why the people have to sort out their own payment of the household charge when the government could easily have taken 2euro a week off each working persons wages and social welfare and benefits to a lesser degree and called this the household charge thereby saving lts of taxpayers money in the future.

i wonder how the government expects every man woman and child liable for the household charge to pay. Are they going to go halfway up a mountain in Kerry or travel to a remote island off Donegal to knock on a persons door to get the household charge.

I wonder does the government realise that some of the people on the land registry files have just recently deceased or have fecked off to live somewhere else and will by no means be paying the household charge.

I wonder why everyone rich and poor have to pay the household charge. Its as bad as playing a Merseyside Derby FA Cup Semi-Final at 12-30pm.

I wonder if I will pay the household charge.

I wondered lonely as a cloud that floats on high o'er...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

The Lone Stone is very suspicious of new accounts made for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

PocketAA wrote: »
    Its a choice we have - Tax Property owners...or Tax Workers with more Income Tax and VAT...?

I'm for the worker

Stopping the massive waste / overspending/salaries and pensions we can't afford is the choice the Government should be taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

None in a market that was rising at almost double digit figures yearly for about for about 10 years.Those that got in early and sold at the right time made a hefty profit because there was plenty of buyers willing to throw any amount money at them.

But the market has changed as we all know and were current property buyers may make an offer anywhere between 5-20% of current asking prices,future buyers will have to consider a property tax of lets say 1000 euro a year.A lifetime living in a property would add 10's of thousands to the cost of owning property so would you not think the buyer would also deduct this from their offer therefore devaluing the cost of the sellers home

Is that how the market works in other countries with property taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Why should we pay?

Back down home we have:
    -No Sewage scheme
    -No group water scheme
    -No DSL broadband.
    -Badly maintained roads

If these are provided, we might consider paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Francis H Murphy

Have you seen the photograph of Big Phil - front page of the Irish Independent ?
    If ever a picture could tell a story
    Who does he think he is ..... Ronnie Briggs the great train robber !

What arrogance.
    To pose for such a photo confirms how out of touch the man is with the real difficulties facing ordinary people. Little wonder people are so cynical about politicians. 1 year in and you can not tell the difference from FF - new bottle , old wine
    Bring back Willie with his gun !!!
    Shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I had to laugh to myself when I read them saying they were confident their online system could cope with a late surge of people paying the charge. I'm pretty sure they are going to end up disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I had thought this tax was going to fail, but it looks as though it may in fact succeed. Hopefully we can get this money to the government quickly so we can funnel it to 'dhe bankurs' and 'dhe forrin gamblurs' ASAP ;)

In all seriousness though, its excellent news (for everyone, including the "No" side). Coupled with the fact Fine Gael support is up in the most recent opinion polls, it shows that most people in the country understand that we have a deficit that needs tackling.

What's more likely to influence prices (assuming credit is available) is comparison with rental costs. If the property tax is passed onto tenants as it surely will be, then the cost implication of the tax when considering owning the property becomes negligible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

So...what's the % of non-registers at the deadline....65%?

Pay the poxy 100euros...

its a fairer way to collect revenue and safer for economic activity than more direct taxes.

Its 100 euros Do you sound off like one of these lunatics
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3RiPXdaWM

Please focus your non conformity energy on public expenditure reform not protecting property owners !!!!!

- in the meantime I'll keep working hard and paying my fair share for the Country I Love !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Pay the poxy 100euros...

its a fairer way to collect revenue and safer for economic activity than more direct taxes.

Please focus your non conformity energy on public expenditure reform not protecting property owners !!!!!

- in the meantime I'll keep working hard and paying my fair share for the Country I Love !

A brand new account just to promote the household charge. whatever next

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I'll keep working hard and paying my fair share for the Country I Love !

The country you love is a land of the spineless?

Slugs have no spines...but I couldn't say I love them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Have you seen the photograph of Big Phil - front page of the Irish Independent ?
    If ever a picture could tell a story
    Who does he think he is ..... Ronnie Briggs the great train robber !

What arrogance.
    To pose for such a photo confirms how out of touch the man is with the real difficulties facing ordinary people. Little wonder people are so cynical about politicians. 1 year in and you can not tell the difference from FF - new bottle , old wine
    Bring back Willie with his gun !!!
    Shame

Indeed. The sheer arrogance of it defies belief. We live in a country where you either get everything for free - or you pay for everything. There is NO middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Yup time to pay up and move on

(let's get angry about something meaningful like the Childrens Hospital)

Flex wrote: »
    I had thought this tax was going to fail, but it looks as though it may in fact succeed. Hopefully we can get this money to the government quickly so we can funnel it to 'dhe bankurs' and 'dhe forrin gamblurs' ASAP ;)

In all seriousness though, its excellent news (for everyone, including the "No" side). Coupled with the fact Fine Gael support is up in the most recent opinion polls, it shows that most people in the country understand that we have a deficit that needs tackling.

The only way to tackle the deficit is to reduce public sector wages and the SW bill. Both are the root causes of it. Simple maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Pay the poxy 100euros...

Well done you, give yourself a pat on the back there. I will not be paying and when people like you make obnoxious statements I realise I did the right thing in not paying.
    I will keep working hard as well paying my fair share for the country I love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Pay the poxy 100euros...

that you Mr Hogan?

oh wait it couldnt be, you say you work hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Yup time to pay up and move on

(let's get angry about something meaningful like the Childrens Hospital)

I would prefer to give the €100 to the children's hospital, that way at least they would get it.

I joined a board to share a view...

I've posted twice

I attract more comments highlighting lack of prior posts than thought out responses on my shared view

What a waste of time

( to the bloke who said its lack of spine... its not man..its about an alternative to be crying at the tax I pay every f'n month in me wages )

Let them with property portfolios step up...nows their time

Pay the poxy 100euros...

Sweet Jesus.:rolleyes: I see you came late to the thread. If you wanna take it up the ass then its your own business. Don't expect everyone else to. Public expenditure reform means slashing public sector wages an the SW bill. Not penalising hard pressed taxpayers who bought their house (and didn't cost the Government a brass cent to house). Enjoy the Ard Fheis tomorrow. It;'s amazing how many of you have crawled onto this thread in the past 24 hours.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The country you love is a land of the spineless?

Slugs have no spines...but I couldn't say I love them :D

I'm really glad I don't have your outlook on the future - it must be quite depressing.

I think we can get out of this mess if most of us stick together and ignore voices such as yours, whose only purpose is drag people down to your level.

• Advertisement

I joined a board to share a view...

I've posted twice

I attract more comments highlighting lack of prior posts than thought out responses on my shared view

What a waste of time

( to the bloke who said its lack of spine... its not man..its about an alternative to be crying at the tax I pay every f'n month in me wages )

Let them with property portfolios step up...nows their time

Joining to share a view and joining to try to convince people of some BS pipe dream are two different things. WTF did you expect?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement