Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Flancrest wrote: »
    So the All Star reserves were announced yesterday. Both Dirk and Paul Pierce are in. While both have been fantastic players over the years these are supposed to be the best players in the league at the moment which being honest niether of these are this year.

Yeah but, in reality, the All-Star picks are just supposed to piss people off and get debates going to hype the game, get good ratings as a result and earn some easy money (otherwise, it'd be done on stats, not public voting).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Congrats to Luol Deng and the other first-time All-Stars....Roy Hibbert, Andre Iguodala, LaMarcus Aldridge & Marc Gasol. Even for team-oriented players like Deng, it must be a big thrill getting named to the All-Star team for the first time.

Sam Smith has a good piece today on Deng's career to this point, which hasn't always been smooth:
    Luol Deng finally makes his mark

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

killwill wrote: »
    I don't get what you mean
    Shoulda been call instead of all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

kmart6 wrote: »
    Shoulda been call instead of all!

Was it not a step on his chest? All I meant originally was it was not on his face.

Ah I don't know, the angle on it wasn't great,seemed to kinda takedown him, but not too hard like!

• Advertisement

Lin is having another phenomenal game here against the Lakers. He really reminds me of Tebow in that you expect the run to end every single game...but it doesn't.

Overall that is a terrible performance from the Lakers, they lost that game more than the Knicks won it! Pau and Bynum didn't seem bothered contesting the difficult rebounds! MWP was acting the **** in the first half and Brown still let him in! For the two shots Fisher made they were lazy mistakes having his foot on the line! Why Murphy is getting minutes when he can't hit a shot is beyond me...McRoberts was playing much better than him earlier the season and gave more speed on the offense!

As good and all as Lin is coming across it was as if the Lakers guards had never seen a fast guard before! Be interesting to see how last this lasts, as soon as Melo and AS are back he won't be getting as many shots!

Got annoying listening to the commentators with the 'Lin and Kobe going at each other'....they barely guarded each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

Lin-sanity.

MVP.

Knicks for the playoffs.

Borisss wrote: »
    Lin-sanity.

MVP.

Knicks for the playoffs.

I know you're probably being tongue-in-cheek, but if he can keep this run goIng and get Knicks into the playoffs while replacing Carmelo...he could genuinely be the most valuable player to their individual franchise (though how do you look past Durant in saying that).

What and Fisher is known for his mobility?!

He's had 4 good games, in his previous 30 or so did nothing, he has to make it consistent!

Talk of him being an MVP candidate is just bullsh1t and I'd really question people's knowledge of the sport to suggest he could be!

• Advertisement

MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

He's had 4 good games, in his previous 30 or so did nothing, he has to make it consistent!

Talk of him being an MVP candidate is just bullsh1t and I'd really question people's knowledge of the sport to suggest he could be!

The whole mvp thing is tongue-in-cheek, I thought that much was obvious... Last year Miami were chanting MVP at Joel Anthony! What I'm saying is that he has game, I'm not sure that he will be a starter, but a great role player/sixth man. Plus the knicks have won 5 in a row, when the knicks are doing well its good for all the nba, they love an unlikely hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think we all know there's only going to be one MVP this season:

6a01156f2c3287970c0147e3cecdcf970b-320wi

buyer95 wrote: »
    The whole mvp thing is tongue-in-cheek, I thought that much was obvious...

Why spoil the party?

Bulls fan mad.

Nah, of course it's completely premature and conditional...on stats alone LBJ would have to get it if MVP were handed out today...but it's just for fun.

Having said that, what I like is that he's showing qualities consistent with great players and not just beginner's luck. I was particularly impressed with his ability to step up as a leader against the Lakers and hit the big scores when it counted to kill them off. There's having skill, there's being a winner, and there's leading from the front: not many can combine all 3 while playing for the league's 2nd biggest franchise against the biggest. Especially when the world is watching and expecting you to fail.

The difference between him and the most similar US sports story of the year, Tim Tebow, is that Tebow was just doing what his expected job was...except at crucial moments and regardless of if he was having an average game or not. Whereas Lin is showing a severe step up in class on a consistent basis.

So IF he were to do that on a consistent basis, unseat a healthy Carmelo (who is still an All-Star, whether that's a BS pick or not) and lead the Knicks to a strong playoff spot...who would be more valuable to their franchise than that on current form? He'll never get it, mind, even in the unlikely event that all of the above did happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The officials let kobe travel for that game winner last night. Saw it on youtube and I dont know how he didnt get called for it

There was no travel on the game winner!

Anyone fancy Utah -4 points away to New Orleans tonight. 10/11 seems a nice price to me.

They had a tough enough game last night away to Memphis so could be tired...prob go with it though!

Well that was a turn up for the books!

• Advertisement

Certainly was a turn up for the books. Not to worry, Miami Heat -1 tonight at 10/11 will make up for it ;)

Jesus that's great odds..should be free money!

Jesus that's great odds..should be free money!

Cue me when I wake up and check the score:

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

Actually sorry, it was -2 I got them at. They were -1 early this morning but jumped to -2 and are now -3.

Still, a cracking bet IMO. Well worth a decent lump.

Haha I will laugh if I've jinxed it, checked it myself a while back and it was -2...crazy...beat them by 35 the first time they played!!!!!!!!!!

Ah only 15 this time around!

And that ladies and gentleman is a perfect example from Toronto of how to lose a basketball game in the last 2 minutes!

Now...I wonder how much are Lin's 8 TO's going to be ignored!

Borisss wrote: »
    MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP

What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

There was no travel on the game winner!

There definitely was. Very clear actually.

Linsanity continues with a Knicks blowout against the Kings tonight. Lin had a career high 13 assists to go along with 10 points and 5 boards. He played pretty well and the Knicks didn't seem to miss any shots at all tonight.

Well your the only person who seems to have seen it...not one network or major site picked up on it...which they would since it was a Kobe game winner!

He'd wanna get his TO's in control...averaging 5 a game since he got the starting role isn't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Well your the only person who seems to have seen it...not one network or major site picked up on it...which they would since it was a Kobe game winner!

He'd wanna get his TO's in control...averaging 5 a game since he got the starting role isn't great!

It wasn't me who first mentioned it here, and I've seen plenty discuss it on other forums. Not that big a deal really though, refs are never going to call Kobe for that especially not at the end of a game. If you watch the video, he takes two steps before he even starts to put it on the floor. It is not the regular two steps you see being taken while the ball is on it's way down. I think Kobe thought about shooting as soon as he caught it and kind of changed his mind, which caused the travel.

Yes, Lin needs to get his TO's under control. I think that will happen in time, provided he keeps playing well enough to get these big minutes. He doesn't have a low basketball IQ, his TOs seem to stem from being relatively inexperienced and over-excitedness at times. He should be OK in that department in time.

• Advertisement

Oh surprising...they've changed the All-Star weekend to fit Lin in!

Advertisement