Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

yep thats her alright noticed the armed response unit text written in irish as well. Looked very well heading along the western road up to Dennehys cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/superfast-saloons-to-help-gardai-beat-rural-raiders-31317567.html

Looks like certain Garda units will be getting decent cars for a change. According to the article the government is certaintly pumping money into the fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

About time but one little problem I don't see this been enough and way too late.

What is wrong with having capable cars that are in fact good to great handling cars able to perform and also be driven by properly trained drivers.

These last bunch of family estate vehicles that were purchased are not up to police work.

These vehicles should be better then what most people are driving around in and I don't mean they have to be BMW,Audi, mercs but cars that are at least made specially for police work with special suspension and chipped and have decent BHP and pulling power.

i personally think they are buying to many hyundais. The unmarked ones are already very easy to spot and according to twitter they have lorry loads of them being delivered every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

carzony wrote: »
    i personally think they are buying to many hyundais. The unmarked ones are already very easy to spot and according to twitter they have lorry loads of them being delivered every week.

tbh I don't think most of the unmarked ones need to be hard to spot. For the most part, it's just a case of unmarked being cheaper when there is no need for the vehicle to be marked up. ie. GNIB, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The vehicles that they don't want you to spot (i.e. not the Hyundais - they're unmarked, not undercover) are very difficult to spot indeed.

The greatest step forward for the fleet would be an excellent standard patrol car - like the 06/07 2l Mondeo purchase. A handful of quick saloons is a drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

donvito99 wrote: »
    The vehicles that they don't want you to spot (i.e. not the Hyundais - they're unmarked, not undercover) are very difficult to spot indeed.

The greatest step forward for the fleet would be an excellent standard patrol car - like the 06/07 2l Mondeo purchase. A handful of quick saloons is a drop in the ocean.

I've said it before, the Mondeo can do high performance models, high efficiency, estates, saloons, hatchbacks, kitted out for dogs, armoured. There are very few policing roles which the Mondeo cannot do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

I say the influx of i40's in the last few weeks may have something to do with Hyundai launching the new model and the powers that be being offered the cars at a reduced rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Probably, isn't that what happened with the mondeo's ?. Many posters over in the motors forum have rated the i40 as been quite poor in both performance and built quality.

Probably, isn't that what happened with the mondeo's ?. Many posters over in the motors forum have rated the i40 as been quite poor in both performance and built quality.

The station where I am have a 142, I say shes only got 60k km on it and its in and out of the garage like a yo,yo, the clutch is the most recent problem. but body work is a bit flimsy on it also.

One of the other stations in the district branch got an i40 saloon and it does look very well to be fair. Saying that theres an 06 mondeo still knocking about that was previously a branch car and shes still going like the clappers.

• Advertisement

rocky911 wrote: »
    The station where I am have a 142, I say shes only got 60k km on it and its in and out of the garage like a yo,yo, the clutch is the most recent problem. but body work is a bit flimsy on it also.

One of the other stations in the district branch got an i40 saloon and it does look very well to be fair. Saying that theres an 06 mondeo still knocking about that was previously a branch car and shes still going like the clappers.

Blanch still has a 2002 red mondeo flying about.. wonder will the Hyundai's last that long....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Blanch still has a 2002 red mondeo flying about.. wonder will the Hyundai's last that long....

Yeah was in media lately
    I love the look of it, alloy wheels an all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

D Trent wrote: »
    Yeah was in media lately
    I love the look of it, alloy wheels an all

its the zetec s lovely wheels on them also rrar lights are changed as they are off 05 onwards.

Detectives were using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DAVE1972

i

i think with all these hyundais reminds me of 1980s ireland when every car was an austin montego or maestro ., pure buckets and everytime i used to pass johnson & perrot garage in cork city there would be so many of these up on ramps being fixed you would think it was a garda garage ! short term gains usually lead to long term pains .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

DAVE1972 wrote: »
    i

i think with all these hyundais reminds me of 1980s ireland when every car was an austin montego or maestro ., pure buckets and everytime i used to pass johnson & perrot garage in cork city there would be so many of these up on ramps being fixed you would think it was a garda garage ! short term gains usually lead to long term pains .

I have to wonder are the guys in procurement dictated to by politicians? Then is the maintenance budget and the purchasing budget 2 different things?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Re the RSU Volvo V70...it isn't a T6 [2.9 twin turbo petrol] but I noticed it is registered as a "2012 Volvo V70 Authorities D5 5DR Auto", the Authorities bit is certainly something new to me.

Some sort of factory conversion for law enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MissEmcee

Limericks Dunduns (Dumb Dumbs) old armoured x5 I believe

Re the RSU Volvo V70...it isn't a T6 [2.9 twin turbo petrol] but I noticed it is registered as a "2012 Volvo V70 Authorities D5 5DR Auto", the Authorities bit is certainly something new to me.

The manufacturer would have factory fitted the wiring for radios, lights and upgraded other parts for emergency services. Beats the way we do it with retrofitting cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

foreign wrote: »
    The manufacturer would have factory fitted the wiring for radios, lights and upgraded other parts for emergency services. Beats the way we do it with retrofitting family cars.

Might be more appropriate :D

kub wrote: »
    Might be more appropriate :D

I think sh1t is even more appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are those coastgaurd avensis just company cars with blue lights on ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are those coastgaurd avensis just company cars with blue lights on ?

The exact same as the Garda ones. But as you said, company cars with blue lights on them.

The exact same as the Garda ones. But as you said, company cars with blue lights on them.

Most accurate description.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

rocky911 wrote: »
    Most accurate description.

To be honest I meant more it's role rather than it's origins. :-)
    But if the cap fits-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    To be honest I meant more it's role rather than it's origins. :-)
    But if the cap fits-

Agh I know that :) just highlighting the fact there is no difference between a company car and a Garda car bar the lights and mark up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Probably yes - I know BMW seem to do an "authorities" spec - seem to recall seen a pdf of their authorities range brochure online.

Aren't the Insignia traffic corps cars from the last order not converted by GM/Opel/VX themselves in the UK????.

With the Volvo - im going to have to have a quick look - but they were making noise last year regarding a "police spec" XC 70.

Its an interesting concept - cars seem to be either built on the factory line as a police spec from day one - or else converted by the manufacturers themselves.

Heres more on that XC 70

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/volvo-aims-global-market-police-spec-xc70

The manufacturer would have factory fitted the wiring for radios, lights and upgraded other parts for emergency services. Beats the way we do it with retrofitting cars.

Should also mean - in theory - that you have more comeback with the manufacturer if cars give issues.

Impossible for a manufacturer to stand over a conversion that was done AFTER the car arrived in Ireland - unless the converter was APPROVED as a converter by the manufacturer.

If I was a fleet manager theres NOT A HOPE id let someone NOT approved by the manufacturer go converting the cars - especially if an alternative maker was converting the cars from the factory

Old diesel wrote: »

Aren't the Insignia traffic corps cars from the last order not converted by GM/Opel/VX themselves in the UK????.

Those insignias are very impressive looking yokes.. I don't think the insignias will last long? They seem to constantly be on the road and appear on the twitter page attending accidents, checkpoints ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Those insignias are very impressive looking yokes.. I don't think the insignias will last long? They seem to constantly be on the road and appear on the twitter page attending accidents, checkpoints ect...

There is a few of the traffic lads living in my area i see one of the insignias fairly regular.

No pic but I was overtaken by a unmarked 04 Focus saloon earlier on the M8 near Fermoy.

• Advertisement

The insignias may be on the road a lot - but I imagine so are a lot of the other cars on the fleet.

Actually saw a tweet recently re an overturned truck on the M6 (I think) where they closed off a section of the motorway around Athlone/Ballinasloe - and they had a pic of an Insignia blocking of the slip road - what would normally be used to join what was now a closed section.

They DO look the business - but the key question is - are they actually ANY GOOD.

Advertisement