Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

carzony wrote: »
    They'll get years out of that van if it's just for community work..

Thats all its for.. the regular dont get near it nor have the need to be honest. Its used a lot for community groups in the glen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I saw an unmarked Audi A6 this morning heading Southbound on the M50 (just before 9am, before Dundrum)
    I didn't see if it had lights. I didn't see any on the back and didn't see the front, only heard the siren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Probably enda leaving the tv3 studio this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

He's in an S-Class with a 5 series beemer in tow usually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Any time I've seen him , hes in an audi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

What puzzles me is why in 2014 they bought 30 Insignias for 15k each and then went and bought 14 Astras at near 17k each. If it's economies of scale that's applying here why not buy 44 Insignias at even a lower price? Unless for unmarked purposes I can't see when an Astra would be a superior choice tbh.

Boaty wrote: »
    Any time I've seen him , hes in an audi

do they use a pool of cars maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭EireGun

do they use a pool of cars maybe?

Since November 2014, the Garda Special Detective Unit have used a dark coloured 2013 Audi A6 (3.0L TDI QUATTRO SPORT LINE 242 BHP 4DR AUTO) to transport Enda Kenny, replacing his 2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

It has grille lights, as you can see below.

specialbranchAUDI.PNG

The Taoiseach's security detail always includes a follow car, currently an unmarked silver 2006 BMW 523I (2.5L petrol) AUTO E60. It has lights and sirens too.

followcarBMW.PNG

Tánaiste Joan Burton is also transported in another 131 Audi A6 Sport 3.0L diesel (242 bhp) automatic, bought at the same time as Kenny's. The SDU brought this in following the Jobstown incident.

specialbranchAUDIA6.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

how come the audi has both an insurance and tax disc on the windscreen

kooga wrote: »
    how come the audi has both an insurance and tax disc on the windscreen

Wouldnt be owned by the DOJ I would imagine so the tax disc may read exempt but the car could in fact be registered to the Dept of Finance. Not sure of their policy on insurance particulars. May also be a parking permit if not an insurance disc... both just guesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If they have been in use since November 2014 and are 131s, where have they been in between H1 2013 and late 2014?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

They got them during the European presidency back in 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 more57

Had a run in with the black 132 D Focus ST today in Dublin an absolute beauty and done well with the tinted windows and lights well hidden !

GNIB have a lovely insignia estate with black alloys. Lovely car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The plates were from a Britain car as opposed to a Northern Irish car, (British plates have two letters two numbers indicating the year and three letters, NI plates have 3 numbers and 4 letters

i saw a beteer close up on the news last night uk plated 7 series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

The Reg was either RAI2 UBV or RA12 UBV. Have a pic here but don't have the photographers permission to post it.
    Not sure was that an I or 1 for the third character.
    AFAIK it it a custom 760.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

So the SDU must use a lot of those cars for every day duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Seen an unmarked i40 saloon tonight. First one i've seen usually there saloons.. Was a very impressive looking yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

sgthighway wrote: »
    The Reg was either RAI2 UBV or RA12 UBV. Have a pic here but don't have the photographers permission to post it.
    Not sure was that an I or 1 for the third character.
    AFAIK it it a custom 760.

Test here of the high security offerings from BMW / Mercedes / Audi

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-news/mercedes-s-600-guard-bmw-7-series-high-security-audi-a8l-security-spec-comparo-395225.aspx?eid=51&edate=20150523&utm_source=20150523&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=weekly_newsletter

• Advertisement

During the visit of HRH Prince Charles to the Republic and Northern Ireland, he was transported in a 2012 British-registered BMW 7 Series (760) High Security 4.3L Petrol model, which although was manufactured in 2012, was only registered in the UK on 11 May 2015, according DVLA records.

It is understood the car was one of two (the other being a 2013 Audi A8 L 6.0L Petrol W12 High Security used to transport Camilla separately) brought over from the UK during the visit. They belong to the London Met Police.

Both of these vehicles were the only vehicles in the motorcade(s) not driven by Gardaí. They were driven by trained and possibly armed drivers from the London Metropolitan Police Royalty Protection Branch or "SO14". The rest of the vehicles in the motorcade were either unmarked high-performance vehicles belonging to the SDU or ERU, and as with the visit of the Queen and Barack Obama, it is understood BMW Ireland supplied four BMW X5 3.0L Diesel models and a lefthand BMW 7 Series (760) High Security model, for the duration of the visit. Some of these vehicles were also seen during the preceding visit of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang to Ireland last week.

The Garda Special Detective Unit (SDU) and Emergency Response Unit (ERU) provided armed close protection, although Camilla was accompanied by at least one female close protection officer from SO14, likely armed. Garda ERU marksmen were also on duty.

PC11.PNG
    SzlGGRkSmdcg47uj5Tn4loXgxuob1R7bC53Pm6aOTUg=w836-h519-no

This article dated Sunday 17 February 2013 from The Independent.co.uk lists the security features in Prince Charles BMW 7 Series, whose first two characters on the reg plate were "RA", a rather unfortunate coincidence.
    Scotland Yard is testing an armour-plated BMW capable of repelling gunfire and poisoned gas to give greater protection to the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall from potential attacks, it was claimed today.

The £300,000 car is loaded with high security features such as removable bulletproof windscreens, in case the Royal couple need to make a swift exit, and an “assault alarm” that automatically distinguishes fires under the chassis and engine bay.

It is designed to prevent a repeat of the 2010 security scare when Camilla and Charles were targeted by student fees protesters while on their way to a Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium.

During the attack demonstrators chanted “off with their heads”, pelted their ceremonial Rolls Royce with paint bombs and poked Camilla with a wooden pole through the car window.

The BMW 760 high-security car is boasted by its makers to be the most secure in the world after President Barack Obama’s Cadillac One, which is nicknamed “the Beast”. It is thought to be safer than the armoured Jaguar Charles occasionally uses and has been described by motoring experts as an “über-technical land yacht”.

Dai Davies, a former head of royal protection at Scotland Yard, said: “This is best security car of its kind and in my view the police should be using it because they couldn’t countenance another attack like the one during the student riots. “History shows that attacks are most likely to happen when people are being taken to and from their homes, especially with the royal family. If you’re going to spend millions on protecting the royals then it seems nonsensical not to have to the right equipment.”

Among its many hi-tech additions, the BMW 760 has a special alarm that can detect poison gas. It automatically closes the windows and fresh air vents and engages the central locking system, while an oxygen supply provides breathable air.

The luxury car also has concealed microphones and speakers to allow the driver and passengers to speak to people outside the vehicle without opening the windows. Other features include anti-terrorist devices such as a remote ignition which enables the engine to be started from 150 yards if it is suspected that explosives have been hooked to the starter system.

The BMW is further equipped with an “anti-kidnap” remote locking mechanism that allows the boot to be locked and unlocked remotely by a police, making it impossible for Charles and Camilla to be trapped inside.

According to reports, Scotland Yard has said the car is on trial with a view to the lease or purchase of at least two of the vehicles later this year.

Both the Met and Clarence House declined to comment this evening.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/armourplated-300000-bmw-with-poisoned-gas-alarm-for-charles-the-prince-of-wheels-8498723.html

PC15.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I hope the lads and lassies in the rank and file who were standing around while these magnificent vehicles passed them by, knew that they were only loaned by BMW.

Must have been difficult looking at those and going back to Hyundai's.

kub wrote: »
    I hope the lads and lassies in the rank and file who were standing around while these magnificent vehicles passed them by, knew that they were only loaned by BMW.

Must have been difficult looking at those and going back to Hyundai's.

True, although only 5 were loaned by BMW Ireland, 4 BMW X5s and 1 BMW 760i High Security, a lefthand drive copy of Prince Charles' vehicle. Only two of the X5s loaned were in Prince Charles' motorcade, the other two accompanied Camilla twice when she left for separate engagements to her husband.

The Special Detective Unit/Emergency Response Unit uses the following unmarked cars;
    -2012 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.5L V8 Diesel
    -2008 BMW 5 Series
    -2008 Audi Q7 3.0L Disesel (240bhp)
    -2010 Land Cruiser Ranger Rover 3.0L Diesel V6
    -2006 Volvo S80 Premium 2.4L Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I see the SDU are busy again today with a VIP from the UN in the country, they are certainly clocking up the miles.

kub wrote: »
    I see the SDU are busy again today with a VIP from the UN in the country, they are certainly clocking up the miles.

Indeed, in 2012 alone the ERU was reported (Irish Independent) to have carried out over 100 successful VIP bodyguard missions.

Saw in Cork today the regional support unit with a 141 x5 don't know whether it is a replacement for the 05 x5 or the volvo in Anglesea st or from elsewhere. Looked the bis though

Saw in Cork today the regional support unit with a 141 x5 don't know whether it is a replacement for the 05 x5 or the volvo in Anglesea st or from elsewhere. Looked the bis though

Was she marked up ?

rocky911 wrote: »
    Was she marked up ?

yep

yep

Interesting.. The had the old one the other day on a shout.. looking forward to seeing this :)

• Advertisement

Ex Demo model from the UK.

https://www.esforum.org/showthread.php?tid=7079&pid=169134#pid169134

Advertisement