Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Don't think so. Battenburg was copied from the brits. The regular do more accidents then traffic. Every patrol car should have rear reds for accidents and stops.

All the new cars and transit connects I've seen do have rear reds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Back to my question -
    Capri wrote: »
    Is there any legal status/guidance to the red flashing lights in use lately, blue/amber/green yes but the reds. I saw them on the front of a tow truck the other day and a lot of Garda vehicles are now using them - but have they been added to the RTA (Road Traffic Act ) ? :confused:

I take it anybody can fit them then , like the blue bulbs etc favoured by the boy racers - seems there is no specific law drafted saying these flashing red lights are only for Garda vehicles :confused:

Actually, just saw a 131 reg TC Mondeo with no rear reds on the dock road in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Back to my question -

I take it anybody can fit them then , like the blue bulbs etc favoured by the boy racers - seems there is no specific law drafted saying these flashing red lights are only for Garda vehicles :confused:

There is a specific law - Road Traffic lighting of Vehicles Regulations 1963, section 41. Essentially only white/yellow lights to the front and red to the rear.
    Section 42 covers restrictions on flashing lights.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html#zzsi189y1963a41

Like Fire and Ambulance, Garda vehicles are exempt from the bulk of the road traffic legislation excluding drink driving/ dangerous driving therefore the rules re lights don't actually apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭sgthighway

source wrote: »
    Actually, just saw a 131 reg TC Mondeo with no rear reds on the dock road in Limerick.

Was it stopped or moving?

Any one I saw had to have the hand brake engaged for the red lights to come on or so it was the complete opposite; red light went off when hand brake was engaged.

Somebody run outside and check ;)

• Advertisement

Restrictions on flashing lights.
    42. No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

That rules out all construction vehicles , bin lorries etc with these strobe lights :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Not this again....

sgthighway wrote: »
    Was it stopped or moving?

Any one I saw had to have the hand brake engaged for the red lights to come on or so it was the complete opposite; red light went off when hand brake was engaged.

Somebody run outside and check ;)

I'm talking about the light bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

source wrote: »

Herny street one is it? Ya on the light bar it doesn't show them there on the inside by the Garda sign, saw estate one with the same light with rear reds going!!

Not this again....

I have started this again!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

.243 wrote: »
    too much fun for one person,
    i still think the paintball gun is the better (cough painful cough)method
    A paintball shot at an unprotected person (no face mask) could prove potentially fatal.
    19POLISBIL-03.jpg

Mercedes win contract to provide swedish police with the E-cLass. That'll be a fair hit for volvo, Saab and VW

Looks well IMO

More pics here
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article17161754.ab
    I somewhat doubt Saab were ever in the running :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

flazio wrote: »
    A paintball shot at an unprotected person (no face mask) could prove potentially fatal.

I somewhat doubt Saab were ever in the running :rolleyes:

Shame, the 9-5 HOT vehicles they used could move fairly rapidly when they needed too :D

L-Saab-9-5-Police-Car.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Anyone else find this odd?
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...94371973_n.jpg
    It's the exact same car attached to Drogheda station but they've changed the markings and lightbar on it to be a TC car. Would it be because it's a 2.0l petrol or for any other specific reason? All photo credits go to Shane Maguire

No because it is a traffic car hence the engine size/power. AFAIK there is some EU law which states that traffic cars must have rear reds on the lightbar, the old light bar never had those so.....

BX 19 wrote: »
    Shame, the 9-5 HOT vehicles they used could move fairly rapidly when they needed too :D

L-Saab-9-5-Police-Car.jpg

Saab Automotive don't exist any more. They went bust about 2 years ago.

No because it is a traffic car hence the engine size/power. AFAIK there is some EU law which states that traffic cars must have rear reds on the lightbar, the old light bar never had those so.....

It was remarked car (part of fleet unmarked car called back to the depot to be marked reason lack of marked patrol cars being low mileage and engine size) that was sent to that station for traffic unit while there no purchase of cars for the fleet, taught on the regular markings was that the car would be redeployed to the regular before they bought fleet of cars from ford.

Being that the car was on traffic it got remarked again with battenburg markings and change of lightbar

batter burgers?

Seriously? Try not to post when you are making stuff up.

batter burgers?

That's changed now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Saab Automotive don't exist any more. They went bust about 2 years ago.

Well aware of that, that's why I said it was a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Is there any legal status/guidance to the red flashing lights in use lately, blue/amber/green yes but the reds. I saw them on the front of a tow truck the other day and a lot of Garda vehicles are now using them - but have they been added to the RTA ? :confused:
    Front? No. Rear, yes.
    POGAN wrote: »
    Isn't it European legislation that traffic fleet have to have the rear reds?
    That's my understanding also.
    foreign wrote: »
    Don't think so. Battenburg was copied from the brits. The regular do more accidents then traffic. Every patrol car should have rear reds for accidents and stops.
    Seriously? Try not to post when you are making stuff up.

First of all, post reported for back seat modding. Its not your place to tell me not to post.

Secondly I was basing my post on what was said a page or so back. So I assume you are now going to hop on your high horse at those that I quoted above ? And while your at it why don't you explain why you think I along with the others are wrong instead of ''Don't think so''.

• Advertisement

First of all, post reported for back seat modding. Its not your place to tell me not to post.

Secondly I was basing my post on what was said a page or so back. So I assume you are now going to hop on your high horse at those that I quoted above ? And while your at it why don't you explain why you think I along with the others are wrong instead of ''Don't think so''.

I have pointed it out in other threads about the battenburg and rear reds not being european law. If so, why don't the european forces have it? Also, look at the 131 Traffic Corp Mondeo on the news re the Ennis murder this week, no rear reds in light bar.

As for engine size, this is a 1.6.

focus_front.jpg

Euro law ? :confused: - other EU forces ....

German Polizei BMW - 2 blues and white reflective strips ( maybe the green and 'POLIZEI' logo are reflective
    http://www.carspotting.de/userfiles/70/BMW-Polizei-Touring-525d-_256.jpg

French Gendarmerie Citroen - ONE blue and rear chevron reflectives
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Citroen_C4_Gendarmerie_nationale_France.jpg

Spanish Guardia civil - light bar with blue and reds under
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Opel_Astra_Guardia_Civil.JPG

Our lot just copy what the UK does - bit like all the other 'colonies' :mad:
    Hong Kong STILL use UK style police markings
    http://police-car-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2093.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

German Polizei BMW - 2 blues and white reflective strips ( maybe the green and 'POLIZEI' logo are reflective
    http://www.carspotting.de/userfiles/70/BMW-Polizei-Touring-525d-_256.jpg

The green strips aren't reflective i don't think and they mostly have gotten rid of the green colour scheme in Germany... I believe Bayern is the only Bundesland that hasn't gone to the new blue scheme.

To the best of my knowledge it's only the POLIZEI lettering and a silver stripe either side of the blue/green that is reflective on the markings.

The Autobahn cars are the only vehicles that are mostly covered in reflective markings! Think you can see what i mean in this comparison pic :P
    brb_FuStkw-BABundFuStkw-WWDVWT5beiNacht.jpg

Autobahnpolizei_Niedersachsen_Fahrzeug.jpg

DFB Marine rescue in Charlestown,Finglas - somebody's duck drowning in the bath ??

Skoda Superb estate - undertook everyone earlier (blue strobes on ) at the M50/M11 hard shoulder to pass the traffic jam, then pulled into Topaz to get smokes Gas, because I just drove as normal and caught up with him anyway in the normal flow of traffic. Think he used to drive a black 04 Focus before - same MO on the N11 to get home quicker !

You seem to spend lots of time taking photos while driving. Is this wise?

You seem to spend lots of time taking photos while driving. Is this wise?

Phone in a cradle? No problem with that.

Phone in a cradle? No problem with that.

Cradle free with phone and screen programmed to 'photo' so just 1 tap - not handheld ;) (BTW - the member in the Skoda WAS holding his phone while driving on the hard shoulder - not 'illegal' as usual but bad example :mad: ) Pity most other motorists don't invest in a €10 cradle from phone shops and save themselves money/points/licence /a life :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Surely they could have picked him up and just put the cuffs on him? seems very dramatic to me..

carzony wrote: »
    Surely they could have picked him up and just put the cuffs on him? seems very dramatic to me..

Have you ever been in their position? Because I have, and it's not as easy as you think when you have a struggling subject fighting against you.

Is easier and safer for all to pin him down until backup arrives and do it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

They? Looked difficult for the male guard to do it on his own!

• Advertisement

I'm sure the mule is kicking himself now thinking the same thing.

Advertisement