Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Are all the foresters gone haven't seen one in quite a while.

Yeah the last Forester was the blue one attached to K TC and was essentially driven into the ground. I believe it was used for compol afterward. Haven’t seen it around in about 3 years. It moved from santry when that closed/went part time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yeah the last Forester was the blue one attached to K TC and was essentially driven into the ground. I believe it was used for compol afterward. Haven’t seen it around in about 3 years. It moved from santry when that closed/went part time

Funny that's where seen it last as was on the 44....

Funny that's where seen it last as was on the 44....

Yeah, it was a real power house of a car but it had be phased out of it role though it was ageing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Any news on the new Skodas ?

Yeah, it was a real power house of a car but it had be phased out of it role though it was ageing

Wonder why they didn't continue, loved the sound.

Quick too, got to drive a few back around that time....

• Advertisement

That will be interesting alright....

Was watching the new traffic cops aired on channel 5 and they have some serious kit....

BMW X5,530d, 330d, seat Leon cupra estate, golf r, Audi S3 saloon and hatch and the lights on them are seriously good

Do miss the Volvo's and Scoobies though....oh and of course the auld cosworths....

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Some branch cars already out.

POGAN wrote: »
    Some branch cars already out.

What are they? Octavia or superb?

I've seen a few 2017,18 kodiaq...

Wonder why they didn't continue, loved the sound.

Quick too, got to drive a few back around that time....

It was just aged AFAIK.
    It was pre owned 2006 model which was returned to the dealership in Thurles. It’s had few bangs too. It’s the same as camrys, both were bomb proof but just had to discontinue the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

BMW X5,530d, 330d, seat Leon cupra estate, golf r, Audi S3 saloon and hatch and the lights on them are seriously good

Do miss the Volvo's and Scoobies though....oh and of course the auld cosworths....

I would love to see the full cost of putting two Gardai in a 330d or Volvo V90CC vs an i40/Tuscon over its lifetime.

Kitting the car out, equipment, maintenance, fuel, and of course salaries for the Garda driving it, because you're not just paying for a car, you're paying for two Gardai to police the roads.

I'd wager that the difference in total cost is in the single digit percentages. Salaries far outweigh any equipment cost. For a small capital and operational costs increase, we'd have a far more capable and respected police force. Ml

Obviously I don't know details, but perhaps Golf R was sacrificed because it was the car that could do the job vs the Merc, when another couldn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I would love to see the full cost of putting two Gardai in a 330d or Volvo V90CC vs an i40/Tuscon over its lifetime.

Kitting the car out, equipment, maintenance, fuel, and of course salaries for the Garda driving it, because you're not just paying for a car, you're paying for two Gardai to police the roads.

I'd wager that the difference in total cost is in the single digit percentages. Salaries far outweigh any equipment cost. For a small capital and operational costs increase, we'd have a far more capable and respected police force. Ml

It's well known that years back BMW put forward their choice for the tender at the time and the deal that they offered would include police spec cars already fitted with equipment etc for similar money (apparently bmw heavily discount for police) as all the others Toyota, Ford etc but the powers above still went with Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

It's well known that years back BMW put forward their choice for the tender at the time and the deal that they offered would include police spec cars already fitted with equipment etc for similar money (apparently bmw heavily discount for police) as all the others Toyota, Ford etc but the powers above still went with Toyota.

General maintenance and repairs would be a lot more expensive on the BMW than the Toyota, fords ect.. That's why the chose the Toyota over the BMW.
    BMW heavily discount them simply because they make more money from the repairs rather than the initial sale of the vehicles..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

There’s a real moral hazard of Garda driving into council estates in BMW’s et al , and I think the irish police have the right idea of not rubbing the plebs nose in it, unlike the UK where there’s a real disconnect between police and ordinary people. No harm in having a few elite garda driving special vehicles to let them know they’re not dealing with muck here, but few and far between has the right effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Bigus wrote: »
    There’s a real moral hazard of Garda driving into council estates in BMW’s et al , and I think the irish police have the right idea of not rubbing the plebs nose in it, unlike the UK where there’s a real disconnect between police and ordinary people. No harm in having a few elite garda driving special vehicles to let them know they’re not dealing with muck here, but few and far between has the right effect.

Ah will ye stop, moral hazard, this isnt Ethiopia the Garda should be supplied with the best cars they can get regardless of their relationship with the public.

It was just aged AFAIK.
    It was pre owned 2006 model which was returned to the dealership in Thurles. It’s had few bangs too. It’s the same as camrys, both were bomb proof but just had to discontinue the service.

Sorry meant continue on with new purchase as they were so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

There’s a real moral hazard of Garda driving into council estates in BMW’s et al , and I think the irish police have the right idea of not rubbing the plebs nose in it, unlike the UK where there’s a real disconnect between police and ordinary people.

In some respects I'd agree, but in many cases, the criminals in less affluent areas are by no means poor themselves and are driving around in X5's and Range Rovers and laugh at Gards in Hyundai's.

One thing that could be done differently here and across in the UK such as have crash bars on the front to help prevent catastrophic damage due to escapee reversing into pursuing vehicles....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

some serious cars in these council estates for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Slapping a sticker on the side of a Hyundai doesnt make them invinsable!

The only Skoda I’ve seen is the black SDU superb other than that I’ve not seen any other one

• Advertisement

The only Skoda I’ve seen is the black SDU superb other than that I’ve not seen any other one

Harcourt street has a few, 2009, 2011 etc.

The kodiaq I've seen is Wicklow area and honestly you wouldn't have a clue until the lights are activated.....

Seen it a rainy morning pulling an idiot in a 3008 that cut him off and then continued down the hard shoulder, he was pulled in just off the slip road....

Harcourt street has a few, 2009, 2011 etc.

The kodiaq I've seen is Wicklow area and honestly you wouldn't have a clue until the lights are activated.....

Seen it a rainy morning pulling an idiot in a 3008 that cut him off and then continued down the hard shoulder, he was pulled in just off the slip road....

I’ll be in harcourt next week, I thought the 2011 was for the head of the armed response teams I didn’t think it was an actual patrol car. I like skodas i drive one personal use I would love to see one in the patrol sense

I’ll be in harcourt next week, I thought the 2011 was for the head of the armed response teams I didn’t think it was an actual patrol car. I like skodas i drive one personal use I would love to see one in the patrol sense

Sorry not marked, they're all unmarked any I've seen. Pass there a lot so see a good few even the Peugeot.

Rumours going around that i40 burst into flames last night while on a motorway patrol. Attached to Clare RPU...

Sorry not marked, they're all unmarked any I've seen. Pass there a lot so see a good few even the Peugeot.

Peugeot’s are generally bad news like a poor mans Reno lol

Peugeot’s are generally bad news like a poor mans Reno lol

Ha, they've improved a hell of a lot....

New saloon unmarked i40s have the holographic Garda markings looks pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Rumours going around that i40 burst into flames last night while on a motorway patrol. Attached to Clare RPU...

I heard it was a trafficc Tucson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Seeing as how there are still a few 06/07 era Mondeos floating about. Are their any Toyota Avensis still in active use?

• Advertisement

Seeing as how there are still a few 06/07 era Mondeos floating about. Are their any Toyota Avensis still in active use?

Yes but not many at all.

Know of a 2011 unmarked, see regularly.

Advertisement