Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada or Australia, which do you prefer to live?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Aus over the two ,but would rather be where i am now ,Thailand .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'd hate to have to choose between those two particular countries as neither appeal to me but I'd choose Canada as most Canadian I've met have been insanely friendly and that really makes life so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

One is too hot, the other is too cold. Go live in Luxembourg OP. Anyone who says anything different is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've been to Australia and loved it, would love to go back. Never been to Canada, never seen the point.

To help you make your decision you should watch Home & Away and Neighbours and then watch Southpark and Trailer park Boys, both are typically based to real people/events and so they should give you a good insight into how life could be in each of the countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

With the amount of Irish heading to Australia I'm suprised by these results.

Even when you look at travel forums e.g. British expats (ok not Irish but similar thinking) you'll see that Australia is by far the most popular destination. 193,000 threads to Canada's 103,000.

So if Australia is so unpopular in this poll, why do so many from this country head there? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

i was talking to an engineer today, hes 28 and desperate to stay in ireland to work and live, He was in canada and oz but either country just didnt suit him, He said canada was the best but he did say somthing interesting, when asked why come home, he said "its not where you live its how you live thats important! ummm... good one!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

i was talking to an engineer today, hes 28 and desperate to stay in ireland to work and live, He was in canada and oz but either country just didnt suit him, He said canada was the best but he did say somthing interesting, when asked why come home, he said "its not where you live its how you live thats important! ummm... good one!! :)

He sounds a bit deluded to be honest.

Opportunities for most engineering professions (particularly those related to construction) have plummeted in Ireland over the past two years.

In Canada and Australia, these opportunities are plentiful.

Also, the quality of life in both country's vastly exceeds Ireland in todays climate.

Sure there is always the issue with being away from family but it depends on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

fat__tony wrote: »
    He sounds a bit deluded to be honest.

Opportunities for most engineering professions (particularly those related to construction) have plummeted in Ireland over the past two years.

In Canada and Australia, these opportunities are plentiful.

Also, the quality of life in both country's vastly exceeds Ireland in todays climate.

Sure there is always the issue with being away from family but it depends on the person.

Deluded he worked in these countrys what can you say??

i think the chap was simply pointing out all the money in the world means nothing to him if he cant have his family and friends around him and stay in his own country and be happy! nothing wrong with that!!

you say both countrys vastly exceed irelands quality of life dont know about that, times are hard at the moment but only 8yrs ago in 2004 ireland was voted the best country in the world to live. swings in roundabouts i suppose?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

I don't think the numbers are the great for Irish emigrating to Canada, supringsly.

Although only 15,000 recieve WHV's for Australia per year. So maybe the concept of Irish emigrating is overhyped and overrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

DColeman wrote: »
    I don't think the numbers are the great for Irish emigrating to Canada, supringsly.

Although only 15,000 recieve WHV's for Australia per year. So maybe the concept of Irish emigrating is overhyped and overrated?

Ya I think the media are really hyping up people on working holiday visas. I think there's 20,000 Irish in Australia and 7,000 Irish went to Canada this year. A Generation Emigration piece on Canada in the Irish Times said 5,000 of the 7,000 in Canada 'emigrated' on working holiday visas. I was one of these 5,000 and didn't consider myself an emigrant for 1 second because I knew I'd be home after a year, and I was. The vast majority of people on working holiday visas will come back to Ireland. Of course there will be a few lucky ones that will get sponsorship of some kind and stay where they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I spent the first 4 years of my life in Edmonton and while I wouldnt like to live there again coz of how cold it was during the winter, I would move to Vancouver in a heartbeat.

As most people have said its an amazing country. When I was 15 we went back for 3 months with the view of staying but we couldnt sort out visas so came home. We traveled down through the Rockies and there are some amazing hidden gems like Hope, Penticton, Jasper.

Dam you OP.....am now looking at visa and gonna try convince my youngest to move with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ya I think the media are really hyping up people on working holiday visas. I think there's 20,000 Irish in Australia and 7,000 Irish went to Canada this year. A Generation Emigration piece on Canada in the Independent said 5,000 of the 7,000 in Canada 'emigrated' on working holiday visas. I was one of these 5,000 and didn't consider myself an emigrant for 1 second because I knew I'd be home after a year, and I was. The vast majority of people on working holiday visas will come back to Ireland. Of course there will be a few lucky ones that will get sponsorship of some kind and stay where they are.

I agree there is too much hype from the media especially RTE, you only have to listen to the The 'Poor Childers' Joe Duffy Brigade about the young people 'emigrating' to Australia. Like I mentioned in my earlier post these people are on working holidays they are not emigrating, once the visa runs out 80-90% will return home.

Like its almost idiotic, imagine someone claiming to emigrate to Santa Ponsa for 2 weeks in July people would just laugh at them. Seriously its a holiday FFS.

Even those who are sponsored are not even classed as migrants, they are only classed as foreign workers. Lose your job and its find a new sponsor or Fuckoffski.

Last year 3700 Irish people migrated to Australia.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

2009-10 < 3222
    2008-09 < 3046

Its all there on http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statist...o/visa-grants/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am thinking of migrating maybe at some point in the future and wondering which country do you all prefer out of these two?

Canada:
    -Good quality of life, free health care and education, beautiful scenary and good climate in some parts (Vancouver). Though Winter can be bad (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa etc).

Australia:
    -Also good quality of life (though Canada I believe is higher), hotter weather and also good scenary ( Canada is still better, more variety IMO).

I have visited both but only Australia for 3 weeks and I'm wondering what country you'd all prefer. I didn't say US because it's impossible to get into. :P

Regards

winter isnt bad in toronto compared to most of the rest of canada tbh

a mate of mine lives in oz and reckons itd be great if it wasnt for all the australians there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I agree there is too much hype from the media especially RTE, you only have to listen to the The 'Poor Childers' Joe Duffy Brigade about the young people 'emigrating' to Australia. Like I mentioned in my earlier post these people are on working holidays they are not emigrating, once the visa runs out 80-90% will return home.

Like its almost idiotic, imagine someone claiming to emigrate to Santa Ponsa for 2 weeks in July people would just laugh at them. Seriously its a holiday FFS.

Even those who are sponsored are not even classed as migrants, they are only classed as foreign workers. Lose your job and its find a new sponsor or Fuckoffski.

2009-10 < 3222
    2008-09 < 3046

It's total sensationalism and lazy journalism by certain aspects of the media. I was more than surprised to read about my 'emigration' to Canada in the Irish Times. I wish it was as easy as they were making it out to be. The night I came home from Canada last month RTE broadcast a documentary about people emigrating. Some people on the show were just going off on working holiday visas. People have always been going off on working holiday visas, just more people are availing of the opportunity to do so in the last 2/3 years. People seem to have this idea that they can up sticks and move to Canada or Australia long term like they were going off to London or something. Unfortunately, for most people, it's a bit more complicated than that.

People shouldn't confuse 20 year old kids going on the piss in Australia for a year or 2 as emigrants. To me emigration means you're leaving for the foreseeable future with much less contact with your family and friends than you would be normally used to. My uncle left Cork in the 50s for Sydney and didn't see his family in Ireland again until the late 80s. When he left my Dad was a young child and when they met again my Dad was a middle aged man. Thankfully with advances in technology emigration isn't as extreme as that anymore but emigration is still sad all the same.

2009-10 < 3222
    2008-09 < 3046

Interesting. It looks like Australia heading for some massive racial demographic changes. It's wierd that, because most people seem to assume Australia is just some white racist country. Brits always take the piss out of them for that, its what they'd have you believe.

But what impresses me most, is, where's Australia's far right party in all of this? Because you can always judge a country with incoming demographic changes and its resistance to it with far right groups. This is a common theme over Europe right now.

BNP got 2 euro seats and 7% of the vote, Le Pen scored huge in France in 2002, Austria far right 30%, Geert De Wilders in the Netherlands, Sweden democrats, True Finns etc all over Europe. Yet where's Australia anti-immigrant party rising? Maybe Australia's more racially tolerant than we give it credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Don't really want to leave but for some reason I'd prefer Canada, maybe cause it has that "Tesco Value America" feel to it.

It's total sensationalism and lazy journalism by certain aspects of the media. I was more than surprised to read about my 'emigration' to Canada in the Irish Times. I wish it was as easy as they were making it out to be. The night I came home from Canada last month RTE broadcast a documentary about people emigrating. Some people on the show were just going off on working holiday visas. People have always been going off on working holiday visas, just more people are availing of the opportunity to do so in the last 2/3 years. People seem to have this idea that they can up sticks and move to Canada or Australia long term like they were going off to London or something. Unfortunately, for most people, it's a bit more complicated than that.

People shouldn't confuse 20 year old kids going on the piss in Australia for a year or 2 as emigrants. To me emigration means you're leaving for the foreseeable future with much less contact with your family and friends than you would be normally used to. My uncle left Cork in the 50s for Sydney and didn't see his family in Ireland again until the late 80s. When he left my Dad was a young child and when they met again my Dad was a middle aged man. Thankfully with advances in technology emigration isn't as extreme as that anymore but emigration is still sad all the same.

Its not easy to migrate, if you look other sites like Britishexpat.com or pomsinoz.com there are people who applied for an Australian GSM 175 visa 3 years ago and are still waiting for it to be processed. Although most applications take between 8-24 months depending on the occupation.

Heard similar timelines of 15-23 month for Canada.

You can get an Australian WHV in 48 hrs because its designed like that because its a holiday visa, there is a bit of difference between 2 days and 2 years for a reason.

The £10 pom days of the 50's are long gone.

Gnobe wrote: »
    Interesting. It looks like Australia heading for some massive racial demographic changes. It's wierd that, because most people seem to assume Australia is just some white racist country. Brits always take the piss out of them for that, its what they'd have you believe.

But what impresses me most, is, where's Australia's far right party in all of this? Because you can always judge a country with incoming demographic changes and its resistance to it with far right groups. This is a common theme over Europe right now.

BNP got 2 euro seats and 7% of the vote, Le Pen scored huge in France in 2002, Austria far right 30%, Geert De Wilders in the Netherlands, Sweden democrats, True Finns etc all over Europe. Yet where's Australia anti-immigrant party rising? Maybe Australia's more racially tolerant than we give it credit for.

There are plenty of racists in Australia, and they are not always white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I would opt for Canada for many of the reasons already mentioned.

I did however think Canada had a fairly comprehensive entry requirement?

There are plenty of racists in Australia, and they are not always white.

Yeah I'm not naive enough not to believe that but I'm interested in its political attitudes towards the changing demographics. If it can avoid any far-right nonsense like what we have over in Europe in the long term I'd be pretty impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement