Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada or Australia, which do you prefer to live?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Thisnewseason

Canada,but it's more of a bitch to get into though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

Canada,but it's more of a bitch to get into though.

Is it? I thought Canada was relatively straight forward (providing your skilled of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The murder rate and cheaper healthcare.
    The murder rate is only higher in some places in the US and is a result of it's more inequal economic system. A system that you as an educated european would benifit from if you moved there.

There was talk in America about bringing in universal healthcare last year it seems to have been swept under the rug but I'd say it will happen eventually. In the mean time health insurance isn't that expensive and goods and services in America are much cheaper then Canada to make up for it. If you don't believe me check the Big Mac index. Trivial I know but it works.

Hell, just think of the savings you'd make on the price of oil alone by living in the warmer US.
    Shhh wrote:
    Err free health care, few red necks, open and tolerant society?
    Canada has a lot of Rednecks in the prarie states and it's not fair to say a country as diverse as America is intolerant. They're more tolerant towards homosexuals in New York then they are here. Same sex marraige is legal there. Point taken on America not being as open as Ireland but with the size of their economy they can afford to be protectionist in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The US has all that and more. Why would anyone choose Canada over the United states?

You're either on a wind-up or incredibly stupid.

The US economy is still suffering from the aftermath of the housing bust and high unemployment.

Canada in comparison has weathered the global economic storm rather well and hence has plenty of opportunities for skilled immigrants.

Its also a safer country with a higher standard of living.

Canada by a mile.

Australia is full of the GAA jersey brigade and I've never met an Australian that I liked.

Yaay generalisations!!

• Advertisement

fat__tony wrote: »
    You're either on a wind-up or incredibly stupid.

The US economy is still suffering from the aftermath of the housing bust and high unemployment.

Canada in comparison has weathered the global economic storm rather well and hence has plenty of opportunities for skilled immigrants.

Its also a safer country with a higher standard of living.
    Calling someone stupid on discussion forums is not a good way to stimulate conversation, never the less I'm happy to explain my stance to anyone.

Yes the US economy is on the rocks at the moment, but it would be foolish to think the worlds largest economy with the worlds greatest economists and more natural resources then any other country will stay that way. Canada has a lot of land but very little of it is habitable hence why the Windsor corridor is so densely populated. Canada doesn't have the potential for growth in the same way the US does so the possibilities of advancement for skilled workers are smaller. Like comparing Dublin and London.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Canada has a lot of Rednecks in the prarie states and it's not fair to say a country as diverse as America is intolerant. They're more tolerant towards homosexuals in New York then they are here. Same sex marraige is legal there. Point taken on America not being as open as Ireland but with the size of their economy they can afford to be protectionist in some cases.

Good point re the prairies for rednecks, but you know it always feels to me like there are proportionately less of them in Canada, yes even in Winnipeg and Edmonton! I didn't say America is intolerant, though I admit I probably did imply it. I think new York is a real exception in the US. Then of course there's the whole warmongering issue......is that a can of worms I hear being prized open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

canada simply because could live close enough to alsaka so i could go do back country snowboarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

canada, buddy

i'm not your buddy guy

Snowie wrote: »
    canada simply because could live close enough to alsaka so i could go do back country snowboarding.
    I'm sure you could do that in Canada.

• Advertisement

Calling someone stupid on discussion forums is not a good way to stimulate conversation, never the less I'm happy to explain my stance to anyone.

Yes the US economy is on the rocks at the moment, but it would be foolish to think the worlds largest economy with the worlds greatest economists and more natural resources then any other country will stay that way. Canada has a lot of land but very little of it is habitable hence why the Windsor corridor is so densely populated. Canada doesn't have the potential for growth in the same way the US does so the possibilities of advancement for skilled workers are smaller. Like comparing Dublin and London.

The US does not have more natural resources then Canada does.

If we take oil and fresh water for example then Canada is well ahead.

http://www.unitednorthamerica.org/simdiff.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Me and my partner are considering emigrating to canada next year. I have been to Australia, he hasn't. While I loved it there, my OH wouldn't want to be that far from his family. We both need to be happy with the decision so Canada seems like the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

has to be canada, skiing in the winter and mountain biking in the summer = my personal heaven :( if only i had money

The US does not have more natural resources then Canada does.

If we take oil and fresh water for example then Canada is well ahead.

http://www.unitednorthamerica.org/simdiff.htm
    Oil, nickel and water is nice but arable land is better.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_population_density_%28based_on_food_growing_capacity%29

BTW, thanks for the link, very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Cause you can't get a visa for the states.

You serious have that stop doing that??:eek: Would it be easier to get a visa with Canada than Oz then?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

lived in both oz to far, to hot , no real culture , boring , to expensive and you wont get a simple hello on the street, its full of things that can kill ya land and sea , also you have to work very, very hard if you want a good standard of living :( canada on the other hand is much better but to be honest i really missed ireland and for me ya cant beat home :)

anyway best of luck, id pick canada if i had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Canada, i love the cold in the winter and heat in summer
    know some people there
    and i'd probably move to Quebec and i'd have a lot of the requirements they look for that i wouldnt for australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Lived in Oz, too many Irish. Plan on heading to Canada myself so Imma gonna say go with Australia...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jaysus some load of Canada lovin going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

retalivity wrote: »

That said, Australia seems like the land that ireland exports its assholes to.

The best bit is you get them back in a year or 2 when their visa's run out.

• Advertisement

what is wrong with that?

it offers a much better quaility of life to people than Ireland ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

what is wrong with that?

it offers a much better quaility of life to people than Ireland ever will.

Not a thing!

Just needed too comment on the thread to have it added to my threads, and I had nothing constructive to say, so I just pointed out the obvious.

:)

Oil, nickel and water is nice but arable land is better.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_population_density_%28based_on_food_growing_capacity%29

BTW, thanks for the link, very interesting.

No problem, apologies for the initial snappy response, its Monday and Im cranky today. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

People saying they'd go to Canada because they don't like the heat. LOL

My grandparents are from Winnipeg, live in BC now, but talk of growing up with -40 in winter and +40 in summer. And before people think that they can handle cold, you can't. In Ireland it gets down to about -8 maybe once a year, in the middle of the night. Try middle of the day highs of -30, where you can't breathe. You have to keep all skin covered or else it'll freeze, and you've got to keep blinking or else your eyes will freeze open/shut. It's a whole different ball game. Try sitting in your freezer for about 15 minutes. West coast of Canada is where it's at. Vancouver is literally the most beautiful city on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Maedbhish wrote: »
    Canada!

Do you not know who Robin Sparkles is?? :O

Sudden urge to go to the mall.....

Anyway I'd pick Canada; beautiful scenery, wonderful standard of living and lots of maple syrup. What's not to love?

Also Australia is full of the world's deadliest spiders, deadliest snakes, deadliest jellyfish, deadliest sharks, deadliest fluffy bunnies (probably).....ok, so Canada has bears but they're probably easier to avoid than poisonous spiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I am still surprised by people who move to Canada and are cold.

Really ??

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Hate to say it but it depends on your age, length of stay, social tendancies etc.

I've been to Toronto and it’s a beautiful place but the winters are meant to be getting close to -20 so if you are planning on moving for a while then I'd get somewhere that has a better year round climate.

Vancouver fits this bill. All the bums/homeless ppl live in Vanny coz the winters are more pleasant. It’s a lovely city but lacks a bit of vibrancy that other big cities offer.

Sydney is a big city. Its got wicked nightlife, gorgeous beaches but life is a little bit serious there and is similar to London in that regard.

Melbourne is more laid back. Hasn't got the beaches that Sydney has but hosts a wealth of events like the grand prix, tennis ozzie open, Melbourne Cup (that’s horse racing) etc.

The weather is usually slightly worse than Sydney but temperature rarely drops below 12 degrees and think it was voted the most liveable city in the world. Think Vancouver was 2nd though.

No need to worry about cost of living - wherever you choose it is gonna be expensive to live so ensure you get a job or have a fat savings account.

Canadian ppl are so pleasant and nice in comparison to Aussies.

That's pretty much my synopsis of your dilemma !

Peach amach !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

What do you expect, the alternative is a kip full of racist, pig ignorant, unfriendly dregs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Canada:
    -Good quality of life, free health care and education, beautiful scenary and good climate in some parts (Vancouver). Though Winter can be bad (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa etc).

Good quality of life - Canada's a big country, depends which part you go to. Also depends what kind of money you're making.

Free health care only if you're a resident.

Beautiful scenery - again, depends where you go. Toronto is a pretty drab city, bit of a concrete jungle. Vancouver or Montreal is a better choice for scenery.

Good climate in Vancouver? Van is the Rain Capital of Canada.

• Advertisement

beks101 wrote: »
    Good climate in Vancouver? Van is the Rain Capital of Canada.
    This +1, it makes Galway look dry.

Advertisement