Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Thanks to everyone who replied to me :)

By the way, does anyone else find it easier to talk to a female psychologist/therapist than a male one? I'm not sure why but I find it less difficult to talk to a woman about these kind of things. Perhaps it's a maternal thing, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

pinkstars i found using myfitnesspal.com to track what I eating helps, it means I eat enough to stop my body going into starvation mode when I am very down and keep me eating a right balance. Protiens make you feel full for longer
    it is harder to pass up the buscuits for a handful of whole hazel nuts but I find it helps.

PND and 'BABY' Weight is a bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Suas11 wrote: »

By the way, does anyone else find it easier to talk to a female psychologist/therapist than a male one? I'm not sure why but I find it less difficult to talk to a woman about these kind of things. Perhaps it's a maternal thing, I don't know.

Hi I go to a male psychologist and he is brilliant. I went to a female one last year but wasn't in the right frame of mind for psychology so I stopped and requested a different one. There wasn't many differences between the female and male one except she was overly sympathetic which I didn't like and the man I see now applies a more logical approach to my situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Hey all! How's everyone?

My therapist said im making great progress, which I am...given the state I was in 5/6 weeks ago it wouldnt be hard.

Thing is, I dont really know her to tell her that the only thing keeping me sane is the medication. I dont experience the terror and panic that happened then but my thinking is still all over the shop. Sleep seems to be my only saviour and because of that i'm spending my days counting down the hours to bedtime.

Sigh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Chiquitita wrote: »
    Hey all! How's everyone?

My therapist said im making great progress, which I am...given the state I was in 5/6 weeks ago it wouldnt be hard.

Thing is, I dont really know her to tell her that the only thing keeping me sane is the medication. I dont experience the terror and panic that happened then but my thinking is still all over the shop. Sleep seems to be my only saviour and because of that i'm spending my days counting down the hours to bedtime.

Sigh :confused:

It's good you're making those little steps forward. Not doing great myself. Feel like I'm on the verge of a downhill slope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Sunday marked a year to the day since I was standing on the edge of a ditch ready to stop running from monsters. I stopped worrying about the monsters under my bed when I realised they were in my head. Every thought was a battle, every breath was a war. I knew I was winning no more.

I've arranged to meet one of my friends when she gets a free weekend (probably the 8th of March) but I haven't told her why yet. I am going to tell her about my depression. The first friend I will tell about it all. The 4 and a 1/2 year war knowing I'd either win or die trying. She is very understanding so that's why I have decided to tell her first. If it feels like I'm making her anxious, I'll hit eject and let her be in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sunday marked a year to the day since I was standing on the edge of a ditch ready to stop running from monsters. I stopped worrying about the monsters under my bed when I realised they were in my head. Every thought was a battle, every breath was a war. I knew I was winning no more.

I've arranged to meet one of my friends when she gets a free weekend (probably the 8th of March) but I haven't told her why yet. I am going to tell her about my depression. The first friend I will tell about it all. The 4 and a 1/2 year war knowing I'd either win or die trying. She is very understanding so that's why I have decided to tell her first. If it feels like I'm making her anxious, I'll hit eject and let her be in peace.

One thing I'd say is that when I'm depressed I find I project my feelings on to other people, and actually believe that by talking too much about my depression I might 'infect' them. Of course, this is rubbish and people in a sound mental state are not so easily sent out of balance.

It's great that you're going to talk to someone you trust, a fantastic step to take and probably the first to recovery. Just remember when you're telling her that she might be upset and concerned for you, but don't be too eager to construe this as anxiety or anything out of the ordinary and abort too early. You need to get this out in the open and start recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Hi Guys, how do you differentiate depression other feelings?

Much of the time I feel sadness, self loathing,hopelessness, anxiety,worry, anger, loneliness, no interest in doing anything but cabbage out in front of the telly/laptop. Other days I'm ok, kind of like a yoyo effect not having much control over my emotions. I never felt the need to self-harm(unless you count getting ****-faced drunk). Positive feelings tend to be in the minority though.The OP refer's to depression as a sort flatline of no feeling which I can't say resonates with me.

I suppose it's silly coming on here for a self diagnosis but would be interesting to hear some info.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭FollatonWood

I think it's more to to with the person themselves rather than gender - every therapist will have a different approach. I never thought I'd be able to talk to a male psychologist because of my history, but I ended up with one who is completely on my level, same sense of humour and the logical approach I wanted - with no bull**** or wishy washy sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Not for me, it really depends on whether I click with them though.

I am currently seeing a male psychologists and I find him easy enough to talk with them. there seems to be more women in this line of work though. And I've seen a few over the years. Some I've clicked with, others I couldn't get away fast enough. (thats not to say they were bad at their job, they just didn't 'suit' me.)

They are human after all, some you'll get on great with, others not so much. Give them a few sessions, if you're still feeling with them or what not, ask to see another. Its perfectly ok if you feel you need to switch. However you'll have to go through the first session again with a new counsellor.

One thing that helped me to get comfortable with a counsellor, is to think of them as a tool.
    They are tool to help you get better, help you see things from a different view etc etc. But like a tool you can use them as much or as little as you need.
    (might be an odd way to view them, but I used to have this idea that I didn't deserve their help... and this made it easier, as you don't really think you deserve a tool you need to use to get something done.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

One thing I'd say is that when I'm depressed I find I project my feelings on to other people, and actually believe that by talking too much about my depression I might 'infect' them. Of course, this is rubbish and people in a sound mental state are not so easily sent out of balance.

It's great that you're going to talk to someone you trust, a fantastic step to take and probably the first to recovery. Just remember when you're telling her that she might be upset and concerned for you, but don't be too eager to construe this as anxiety or anything out of the ordinary and abort too early. You need to get this out in the open and start recovering.

Thanks for that. I've actually recovered a lot since then at home by typing everything I have ever needed to say in a notepad file. I have it all saved so I can look back one day. I was afraid of telling her before because I was afraid if she reacted badly and ignored me thereafter I'd relapse.

Could someone advise me on how to tell her about my depression.

Thanks for that. I've actually recovered a lot since then at home by typing everything I have ever needed to say in a notepad file. I have it all saved so I can look back one day. I was afraid of telling her before because I was afraid if she reacted badly and ignored me thereafter I'd relapse.

If she asks how you are/feeling..
    Start with 'not so good', and tell her the truth.

If you want to guage her opinion on depression and the likes.
    Mention that you signed the mental petition(to keep Ireland from cutting back on mental health, you can find out about it on facebook), and if she's heard of it/plans to sign it.
    Does she think it's important etc etc.

That should give you an idea of how she feels about mental health.

But in the end you simply have to trust her and hope that your trust is well placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Interesting letter on suicide prevention in today's Irish Independent: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/keanes-courageous-stance-on-human-rights-30038104.html

It can be good to talk it through with your therapist before telling a friend. It's really important that you have boundaries in place to protect yourself if their reaction isn't positive - i.e. being aware that their reaction/lack of understanding is THEIR problem and not yours. That said, I've been on both sides of this and it's also important to realise that if she's never experienced it then you can't expect her to fully understand it; but what you can expect of her is for her to try, and to offer her care and support - because that's what friends are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

She'll know already, I doubt she's missed something like that, women in general are very perceptive. Telling her will help explain any unusual behaviour she might have noticed. Explain that depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and is treatable by a variety of methods, including CBT, exercise, laughter, sex, prescription drugs and talking. Be as honest as you can and try to educate and inform her.

She'll know already, I doubt she's missed something like that, women in general are very perceptive. Telling her will help explain any unusual behaviour she might have noticed. Explain that depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and is treatable by a variety of methods, including CBT, exercise, laughter, sex, prescription drugs and talking. Be as honest as you can and try to educate and inform her.

Lots of people, including myself, would hold a different view to it being a chemical imbalance. Did you ever read Áine Tubridy and Michael Corry's book "Depression an emotion not a disease?"

lighthouse wrote: »
    Lots of people, including myself, would hold a different view to it being a chemical imbalance. Did you ever read Áine Tubridy and Michael Corry's book "Depression an emotion not a disease?"

Yes, I've read it and it's an interesting book, however emotions are chemical reactions too, pretty much everything is at a neurological level. The point is that whatever the reasons, the treatments are the same. I don't really have much use with arguing semantics, I just help people feel happier.

Yes, I've read it and it's an interesting book, however emotions are chemical reactions too, pretty much everything is at a neurological level. The point is that whatever the reasons, the treatments are the same. I don't really have much use with arguing semantics, I just help people feel happier.

I'm just making the point that the reasons determine the treatments, whether one should go for therapy or pharmacology and there is even disagreement between the experts about this.

lighthouse wrote: »
    I'm just making the point that the reasons determine the treatments, whether one should go for therapy or pharmacology and there is even disagreement between the experts about this.

Neither is a panacea. They're best combined, and thankfully the therapy is getting more effective now. No more years of talking cures, attitudes can be adjusted in far fewer sessions now. Thank the gods for people finally realising that long term talking cures are largely ineffective and way too expensive.

No more years of talking cures, attitudes can be adjusted in far fewer sessions now.
    If only that were true. I presume you have sound scientific facts for this obversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Can anybody help me.
    What keeps happening is if I am at work etc and looking up the internet, having a fag etc, when I am concentrating I jump with a startle and sort of shake and want to scream out loud and feel as if my hands will go up in the air with a fright, I kind of shake a bit too......
    It sounds very strange, I dunno what is going on?

pinkstars wrote: »
    Can anybody help me.
    What keeps happening is if I am at work etc and looking up the internet, having a fag etc, when I am concentrating I jump with a startle and sort of shake and want to scream out loud and feel as if my hands will go up in the air with a fright, I kind of shake a bit too......

I wonder if it's some kind of panic attack you are having.

pinkstars wrote: »
    Can anybody help me.

Are your muscles tense? Are you anxious over something?

Similar used to happen to me alot, til I got into the habit of asking the above questions.

Often my arm/shoulder muscles would be quite tense and I'd immediately feel better (though strange in the beginning), by breathing deep and letting them relax.
    The second question allows me to figure out why I was tense in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Gleeso_Finglas

Hi Folks just wondering if i could get some advice.

I have attended a day hospital for the past 5 weeks and this will be my last week. My company doc has also started to introduce me back into work slowly. Everything seemed to be on the up however i seem to be falling again slowly.

I am on my final week in the aware lifeskills programme
    I could teach a class on my illness i know that much about it and what i need to do to beat it but nothing is working and i cant stop the thoughts and im starting to cry again. I mentioned to the psych doc about upping my anti depressant but i was told im not depressed. I really thing shes wrong as i am on my meds over 2 months and i still feel like sh*t.

I have attanded the day hospital and all the classes
    I am doing the aware life skills
    I speak to a psychotherapist
    Im slowly getting back to work
    I still cant get the motivation to exercise as i feel constantly drained and tired
    i meditate
    i try mindfulness

I am trying my best to beat this but nothing is working ive lots of family and friends who care, everyone is routing for me and im trying my best to fight it. But im falling. what else am i suppose to do?

Hi Folks just wondering if i could get some advice.

I have attended a day hospital for the past 5 weeks and this will be my last week. My company doc has also started to introduce me back into work slowly. Everything seemed to be on the up however i seem to be falling again slowly.

I am on my final week in the aware lifeskills programme
    I could teach a class on my illness i know that much about it and what i need to do to beat it but nothing is working and i cant stop the thoughts and im starting to cry again. I mentioned to the psych doc about upping my anti depressant but i was told im not depressed. I really thing shes wrong as i am on my meds over 2 months and i still feel like sh*t.

I have attanded the day hospital and all the classes
    I am doing the aware life skills
    I speak to a psychotherapist
    Im slowly getting back to work
    I still cant get the motivation to exercise as i feel constantly drained and tired
    i meditate
    i try mindfulness

I am trying my best to beat this but nothing is working ive lots of family and friends who care, everyone is routing for me and im trying my best to fight it. But im falling. what else am i suppose to do?

Just keep going.

I know it sounds like nothing, but it's alot in itself. If you just keep going then you'll find the uplifts in your mood here and there that will give you the motivation for the next day... and the next...

With regards to your psychiatrist - can your psychotherapist speak to them for you?

Hang in there best you can. I know it feels like you're getting nowhere, but you're doing bloody amazing by getting back to work and doing the CBT and seeking to understand your issues as best you can so that you can deal with them. You're doing all of this whilst fighting a hell of a fight, and that makes you incredibly strong in my book.

Just keep going.

I know it sounds like nothing, but it's alot in itself. If you just keep going then you'll find the uplifts in your mood here and there that will give you the motivation for the next day... and the next...

With regards to your psychiatrist - can your psychotherapist speak to them for you?

Hang in there best you can. I know it feels like you're getting nowhere, but you're doing bloody amazing by getting back to work and doing the CBT and seeking to understand your issues as best you can so that you can deal with them. You're doing all of this whilst fighting a hell of a fight, and that makes you incredibly strong in my book.

Thank you very much for your reply. my psychotherapist will not speak to my psych doc as i see the therapist privatley. Everyone keeps telling me how strong i am but i certaintly dont feel it. I was sick of the stigma around mental health problems so i put exactly what has gone on in my life the past few months up on facebook with the hope that one person might see it and it will help them talk about it. i have around 200 comments from people with nothing for but support and looking to help me.

My life is begging to be lived again but i just cant break free. everything is just negative and gloomy and i dont want it to be. I was really in love with life. now i feel like green fugus on the banks of the liffey.

Thank you very much for your reply. my psychotherapist will not speak to my psych doc as i see the therapist privatley. Everyone keeps telling me how strong i am but i certaintly dont feel it. I was sick of the stigma around mental health problems so i put exactly what has gone on in my life the past few months up on facebook with the hope that one person might see it and it will help them talk about it. i have around 200 comments from people with nothing for but support and looking to help me.

My life is begging to be lived again but i just cant break free. everything is just negative and gloomy and i dont want it to be. I was really in love with life. now i feel like green fugus on the banks of the liffey.

Have you asked them to? I see a psychologist privately, but when I was at my worst he was the one who called a doctor for me and gave them my history etc. and his recommendation re: meds.

I know what you mean about not feeling strong, sure I'm the same. It's very easy to say it to other people when you're on the outside looking in, but not so easy to apply the same logic to yourself.

What you did with Facebook was very very courageous - I can't imagine doing something like that and sure I only have about 70 people on mine now. So don't play that down - that was a big thing and I'm sure it's helped some people to feel less alone.

Have you asked them to? I see a psychologist privately, but when I was at my worst he was the one who called a doctor for me and gave them my history etc. and his recommendation re: meds.

I know what you mean about not feeling strong, sure I'm the same. It's very easy to say it to other people when you're on the outside looking in, but not so easy to apply the same logic to yourself.

What you did with Facebook was very very courageous - I can't imagine doing something like that and sure I only have about 70 people on mine now. So don't play that down - that was a big thing and I'm sure it's helped some people to feel less alone.

Very easy to help others and give them advice but i cannont do it for myself. Ive never seen a psychologist and i have not had bloods taken either.

Very easy to help others and give them advice but i cannont do it for myself. Ive never seen a psychologist and i have not had bloods taken either.

I'm not sure why you'd need to have bloods taken? By your history - I just meant your MH history. Your psychotherapist might well be able to give your psychiatrist a call for you if you explain the situation though, does he/she think you should stay on/upp the meds?

One thing I would say though, is to try to remember how hard it is to be objective when your mood is that low. For example, I've had my psych tell me when I'm in the pure height of it that he still thinks I'm progressing, but when I'm feeling that low I just can't see it. Fast forward a week later if I've had an okay day, and I can see things much more clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Recovery can sometimes feel like slipping back for this reason:

Suppose you werent able to manage level 1 and then you got some help and you got things under control and now you can manage level 1 and its all good. And then they push you towards level 2 and suddenly you feel like you cant manage and it feels like its all back to square one. But its not, it just might feel like that *relatively*. The truth is that you made good recovery and its very very tempting to just want to stay there and keep things as they are because we all fear change and the uncertainty of a new challenge. You havent slipped back, you just have a new set of challenges to face on the road to getting back to loving life.

Advertisement