Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I won't put this in bargin alerts as its a Lidl offer from about a month back (€6.99) anyway picked up one of last few of these First Aid kits for the car.

MT_69006_01_b.jpg

Plan is to open it up and replace/add a few more items to make it a little more userful, there seems to be a bit of space left in the bag and I liked the idea of a soft case. I've had hard cased first aid kits in the car and managed to crack them with stuff rolling around in the boot.

Knowing Lidl the same one will be back in the shelves within the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Grabbed a couple of them axe/hammer multitool things from Lidl. Decent quality and serviceable, not bad for seven euros.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

British Army surplus sleeping bag liners (unissued and still in wrapping) and surplus unissued Shemaghs.

The British Army are selling off a load of gear at the minute because they are flat broke. Some really good bargains to be had.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Grabbed a couple of them axe/hammer multitool things from Lidl. Decent quality and serviceable, not bad for seven euros.

Come on Doc, put one through its paces and see how tough they really are and report back with pics :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Tabnabs wrote: »
    British Army surplus sleeping bag liners (unissued and still in wrapping) and surplus unissued shegmaghs.

The British Army are selling off a load of gear at the minute because they are flat broke. Some really good bargains to be had.
    Where ???

• Advertisement

They seem to be filtering through to various ebay and online vendors (eg http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Olive-Green-Cotton-Army-Issue-Sleeping-Bag-Liner-/380250391512?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item5888b083d8) but I read about it in a newspaper article and looked at a main site that had all sorts of equipment for sale (including boats and aircraft) but they only sold to UK customers.

Keep an eye on your favoured surplus vendors would be my recommendation.

Come on Doc, put one through its paces and see how tough they really are and report back with pics :pac:
    Ahaha, I already laid into a few bits of wood I have lying around the place with the axe, won't be felling any mighty oaks with it but the extra mass of the hammerhead behind lets it punch above its weight. Its got a nice compact feel, if I get a chance over the weekend I'll see just how far it can go.

all sorts of equipment for sale (including boats and aircraft)
    Hrm, anyone know what the VRT on a Spartan would be like, I can't find a category for it in the revenue online calculator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hrm, anyone know what the VRT on a Spartan would be like, I can't find a category for it in the revenue online calculator.

Its a commercial so i assume commercial rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Its a commercial so i assume commercial rates
    They wont catch ya, uk plates all the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I'd skip the VRT. Who's going to try and stop you in that bad boy!

I was kinda half kidding but here's a guy taking one for a spin down to the shops to pick up his groceries

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The FV 432 would be a more reliable tracked vehicle as it takes less maintenance to keep going. ;)

The Spartan is the Ferrari of military tracked vehicles, the speed of these things is unreal considering you are in a small tank with a basic one hitting 70mph on a metal road. They have also gone diesel in the last few years so thats the one to get.

Anyway we are getting way off topic unless you bought one:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i really have to start actually getting some stuff together this year....i always put it on the long figure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd skip the VRT. Who's going to try and stop you in that bad boy!

You can actually skip the road tax too!!This is a genuine clanger on part of the Irish revenue and road tax law here. It states military vechicles are exempt from road tax !!!!
    Doesnt say military vechiles currently in use by the Irish army,past or present,decomissioned or active in private civillian hands or in any mans army either.:D
    So if you happen to have a M1a1 tank handy or a lowly ferrett or sara -cen armoured car[What a cool BO vechicle that would be!!:eek:].Drive away ...Proably get you on the tank treds mucking up our pristine roads mind or blocking traffic...:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You can actually skip the road tax too!!This is a genuine clanger on part of the Irish revenue and road tax law here. It states military vechicles are exempt from road tax !!!!
    Sweet. Be warned anyone thinking of hitching a ride though, I reserve the right to chew a dirty great smouldering cigar while I drive it, and wear my hat backwards. If ye can deal with that its still byob.

Fifteen grand sterling gets you the final word in bovs, because nothing says prepared like a nine ton war machine. You know you're doing something right when you have to consult a solicitor before buying a vehicle. Insurance is a bargain too, apparently!

Begobs I'm half tempted.

*end threadjack* :p

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Got a tiny repair kit for glasses in the airport. It has very serviceable tiny screwdriver, selection of replacement screws for glasses, tweezer thing(?) and nose cushions. I'm going to add some better cushions and nose pieces, some more screws. Without glasses I am in serious trouble... definitely an item to make a high priority.

(Confession time...I decided at the last minute to stick my haversack into my check on bag and not carry it onboard...as soon as I got through security I bought a cute foldable haversack and this tiny tool kit... felt much more prepared after that....hmmm...):o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Got myself one of those lidl multi-tools. Really good value for 7 euro. The axe is a bit questionable, but the hammer seems decent enough.
    bonniebede wrote: »
    Got a tiny repair kit for glasses in the airport.

Good call. I must get one of those. I have a tiny screwdriver in my swiss that is good for working with glasses, but the spare screws would be important alright.

Khannie wrote: »

Good call. I must get one of those. I have a tiny screwdriver in my swiss that is good for working with glasses, but the spare screws would be important alright.

DON'T FORGET A SPARE PAIR OF GLASSES or at least a small hand lense! Last time I repaired my glasses I couldn't see to do the job so had to use a huge magnifying glass to see what I was doing. A real chicken and egg situation.

If you are throwing out old pairs of glasses take the screws out of them for spares.

DON'T FORGET A SPARE PAIR OF GLASSES or at least a small hand lense! Last time I repaired my glasses I couldn't see to do the job so had to use a huge magnifying glass to see what I was doing. A real chicken and egg situation.

If you are throwing out old pairs of glasses take the screws out of them for spares.

I've decided to keep my last pairs of glasses, they are not that far off my current prescription and in a eotw sit would be the best i could get as replacements.

Great idea re magnifying lens, and it can double as a firestarter.:D

• Advertisement

walked, still breaking in my new boots.

15 mins in the garden, clearing spacce to make a raised bed. Long way to go yet. phew!:pac:

Found a local source of scavengable firewood. Might walk there tomorrow too.;)

Tended my indoor herbs, and cooked a delicious fines herbes omelette with my own homegrown herbs. Woohoo:D Iam motivated!

Got back on my 'get healthy' schedule. I've had a nice break, now time for some more hard work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bolted my3500lb winch onto the back of my Jeep .Now to figure out a quick detach mount so it can be moved to either front or rear as needed.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

got sharpeners in lidls, two, thanks to those who pointed them out.;)

also little multi tool lidl, very nice.

For storage - soap, candles, tinned meat, tinnned fish, noodles (more cheapies in lidl and a good long expiry date on them), two little maglites.

Going to sort out a proper storage area/box, as my stuff is starting to pile up, also need to start to make lists of expiry dates so i can keep up with rotating stuff.

Got a fire blanket for the kitchen.

All the goodies were sold out in my local Lidl but picked up a nice FAK for small change.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Not all today but...

added cheap toothbrush, paste and some moisturizer to my emergency bag.
    made a wire "grill" for my hexi stove - steel mug now sits nicely on top.
    picked up a multitool in Lidl.

repacked by emergency bag - its now in the car, 25l and pretty full.

Researched some ways to become more self reliant in my food garden eg. homemade fertilizer, soil amendments, DIY soil testing etc.

Forgot to get a small tin of evaporated milk, still no "real" tea in my bag :(

Considered starting a thread on cheap emergency packs - doing it cheap, possibly having a few or just for those who don't want to or cant spend a lot of money on emergency supplies.

Considered starting a thread on survival gardening, using DIY techniques.

Any opinions?

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Not all today but...

added cheap toothbrush, paste and some moisturizer to my emergency bag.
    made a wire "grill" for my hexi stove - steel mug now sits nicely on top.
    picked up a multitool in Lidl.

repacked by emergency bag - its now in the car, 25l and pretty full.

Researched some ways to become more self reliant in my food garden eg. homemade fertilizer, soil amendments, DIY soil testing etc.

Forgot to get a small tin of evaporated milk, still no "real" tea in my bag :(

Considered starting a thread on cheap emergency packs - doing it cheap, possibly having a few or just for those who don't want to or cant spend a lot of money on emergency supplies.

Considered starting a thread on survival gardening, using DIY techniques.

Any opinions?

Go for it on the emergency gardening. I think one of the most important parts of my strategy is to learn in a small way how to grow food, but while there is cheap food i don't see myself becoming totally self sufficient, but i do want to stockpile enough seeds and such that if i had to switch on full time production quickly i could.

today...checked out seed potato and planters, very nice , very pricey for a january budget.:(

Got a plant mister for the indoor salad veg. Been harvesting them this week, delicious. Have others to start soon too. Himself still hasn't noticed we now have six feet of veg planted in the back room. :D

today...checked out seed potato and planters, very nice , very pricey for a january budget.:(

Got a plant mister for the indoor salad veg. Been harvesting them this week, delicious. Have others to start soon too. Himself still hasn't noticed we now have six feet of veg planted in the back room. :D

St Patricks day is the traditional day for planting potatoes in case you didn't know. Its right most of the time as the timing means the spuds come up after the last frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

today...checked out seed potato and planters, very nice , very pricey for a january budget.

Lidl from today €2 first earlies seed potatoes. Ikea bags, bin bags, coal bags etc. make great potato planters!

Also Aldi have fruit shrubs / hanging baskets and seeds on offer now too. All are from NI / UK so should be fine with our climate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Chopped the last of my wood this evening. Havent paid for logs all winter, all they cost me was doing a bit of shooting for a mates da (which i would have done anyway for the crack) and cuttin and choppin them all which i enjoyed too! Have probably a months worth left stacked in the garage so time to start lookin for next years supply!

Advertisement