Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

bonniebede wrote: »
    Can you eat that sort of food out of Dublin bay? I'm always afraid of pollution, not to mention Sellafield. Anyone have an opinion?

I'd be OK with any shellfish in our area (South Coast) since we bit the hand off the EU taking money to get the sweage sorted out. All the sh!t that used to go straight into the sea locally is now treated first so that must have improved things. One beach up untill not so long ago had a public toilet that "dumped" straight into a local river that 100yds further on hit the sea. The initial solution was a sign by the river saying not to bath in it :rolleyes: Thankfully thats all changed :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Can you eat that sort of food out of Dublin bay? I'm always afraid of pollution, not to mention Sellafield. Anyone have an opinion?

I've seen people "harvesting" stuff from the beach below the high water mark quite regularly around Seapoint and towards Blackrock, you see them from the train. I might be worth stopping by and asking them for advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

To day I sorted out the stuff I had gathered for my bags and organised one for the car (get home bag) one for the house (BOB).

Still trying to make a rational list for what I expect could happen, and what I am preparing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Still trying to make a rational list for what I expect could happen, and what I am preparing for.

I think this is wrong approach, well certainly the wrong angle of looking at it. To list any eventuallity and the prep required for it will melt your brain and drain your wallet, look at keeping it simple.

Start with the basics, you need to factor the following both for a static location (your home) and to be mobile to get you to a alternate location dependant on the situation.

Lets look at your static location as you have a BOB with a decent kit list to cover mobile:

Shelter - Plan for the possibility of the shell of your home to fail like broken windows or missing roof tiles. Tarps, perspex, selant, expanding foam and a few tools will plug holes simply.

Warmth - Insulation, secondary heat sources not reliant on gas electricity etc. Insulate your home and install secondary heat sources like log stoves. Plan to live in one (warm) room away from prying eyes.

Food preperation - How will you cook? See warmth, have a stove that you can with or make one.

Food - Do you store or grow your own or stock up on trade items?

Water - What will be your water plan when the taps stop flowing? Collecting and filtering

Home Defence - Passive, agressive or overt (post guards in the street etc) - I suggest passive if you are alone (single home) and overt if you form a group.

krissovo wrote: »
    I think this is wrong approach, well certainly the wrong angle of looking at it. To list any eventuallity and the prep required for it will melt your brain and drain your wallet, look at keeping it simple.

Start with the basics, you need to factor the following both for a static location (your home) and to be mobile to get you to a alternate location dependant on the situation.

Lets look at your static location as you have a BOB with a decent kit list to cover mobile:

Shelter - Plan for the possibility of the shell of your home to fail like broken windows or missing roof tiles. Tarps, perspex, selant, expanding foam and a few tools will plug holes simply.

Warmth - Insulation, secondary heat sources not reliant on gas electricity etc. Insulate your home and install secondary heat sources like log stoves. Plan to live in one (warm) room away from prying eyes.

Food preperation - How will you cook? See warmth, have a stove that you can with or make one.

Water - What will be your water plan when the taps stop flowing? Collecting and filtering

Home Defence - Passive, agressive or overt (post guards in the street etc) - I suggest passive if you are alone (single home) and overt if you form a group.

I understand what you mean about trying to prepare for every eventuality driving you nuts, I am not trying to do that!
    but just to put some thought into what could be useful, like suppose my car breaksdown, not the whole of society, and at the same time my mobile phone is dead. Then i would have no phone numbers to contact family or breakdown assist. In that scenario, a scrap of paper with a few essential phone numbers, and the price of a taxi in cash would be more use than a rabbit snare, fire starter kit and a tarp, if you see what I mean.

I just don't want to be ready for the end of the world but not have the resources to cope with a flat tire:)

So my thinking goes somewhat in the following manner:
    1. Can i get home, without my car, in normal circumstances?
    2. Can i get home without my car in abnormal circumstances?
    3. If the car is stolen, can I get home, again, normal and abnormal circumstances.
    4. Can I protect myself in any circumstance?

then when i get home (urban location) can i bug in for a few months? shelter heating, water, food.stored and growing

Can I bug out to other home (rural location) how to get there without a car? and once there all the same issues as above.

And defence of our home wherever we are, mostly grey man and hidden caches etc.

• Advertisement

I should add that the decision to stay or go depends on the particular circumstances. Societal collapse i would rather get out of the city asap, but suppose it is a plague scenario, where loads of infected and infecting people are trying to rush out to the countryside? Better to stay put and hidden, at least for a few weeks before bugging out. It's good to have various options, gives me more flexability.

I have discovered fire, which might be very useful.:)

MAtches (safey) for GHB and BOB and storage, lighters ditto. Wind up or battery lantern for storage..

Tried out my new boots, very swweet only need to give slightly on one foot and they will be perfect.

Bought a small travel size can of spray deodorant, thought coud be handy to carry,fits nicely in one hand so won't over burden my EDC stuff, many uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I have discovered fire, which might be very useful.:)

MAtches (safey) for GHB and BOB and storage, lighters ditto. Wind up or battery lantern for storage..

Tried out my new boots, very swweet only need to give slightly on one foot and they will be perfect.

Bought a small travel size can of spray deodorant, thought coud be handy to carry,fits nicely in one hand so won't over burden my EDC stuff, many uses.
    What boots did ya get? Dont rush them, break them in over a few days before you go for a hike or that in them. I usually wear boots for a week before i wear them huntin or hikin! Went hiki g durin the summer with a friend and his new boots that came out of the box the day before, his feet were in bits after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

(though I must look for a spare top up card and throw a fiver on it).

O2 (and possibly 3) give you €10 credit with a pay as you go SIM, where as the other shower charge you €10 for the SIM and give you no credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

johngalway wrote: »
    O2 (and possibly 3) give you €10 credit with a pay as you go SIM, where as the other shower charge you €10 for the SIM and give you no credit.

With 3 you have to make one chargeable call every 6 months to keep your credit for another 6 months and its easy to forget ;). Not sure on 02 they used to allow you to keep your credit forever and a day :confused:

• Advertisement

What boots did ya get? Dont rush them, break them in over a few days before you go for a hike or that in them. I usually wear boots for a week before i wear them huntin or hikin! Went hiki g durin the summer with a friend and his new boots that came out of the box the day before, his feet were in bits after it

Thats what I figured. Emm boots are from trespass, goretexx, vibram sole, nubuck upper. Plain and simple.
    However I am realising that I have been getting to used to sandals, mukluks around the house and lightweight shoes and boots. Need to toughen up my feet a bit.

Today I...
    checked out lidl. not much there, got a tin of chicken meatballs might add to my storage menu to vary the meal possibilities (hat tip krissovo)
    Got sugar free breath mints i don't need because they came in a nice tin. (sigh bad impulse shopper moment)

Also got two wind up hand led torch in the local garage. Probably cheap and nasty but will do to add to the collection of torches for the moment, one gone to GHB and one to BOB.

Added 2 bars cadbury's chocolate to each bag. Can't decide what would make good 72 hour rations for BOB. Any suggestions?

With 3 you have to make one chargeable call every 6 months to keep your credit for another 6 months and its easy to forget ;). Not sure on 02 they used to allow you to keep your credit forever and a day :confused:

Ah, interesting! I got two O2 SIMS to try to make a GMS trip wire alarm, haven't quite got there yet, but if O2 are the same as 3 with a time limit I'll bin that project. Must ask next time I pass a carphone warehouse.

Thats what I figured. Emm boots are from trespass, goretexx, vibram sole, nubuck upper. Plain and simple.
    However I am realising that I have been getting to used to sandals, mukluks around the house and lightweight shoes and boots. Need to toughen up my feet a bit.
    Sound like very good boots! Take my advise, wear them everyday around the house and oing about your business and what not. Once they are broken in they will feel like slippers! Never dry them by heat so if that means a few days sitting outside on the balcany or a windowsil so be it, nothing worse than destroying a decent pair of boots :( believe me

Sound like very good boots! Take my advise, wear them everyday around the house and oing about your business and what not. Once they are broken in they will feel like slippers! Never dry them by heat so if that means a few days sitting outside on the balcany or a windowsil so be it, nothing worse than destroying a decent pair of boots :( believe me

Great advice, thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I understand what you mean about trying to prepare for every eventuality driving you nuts, I am not trying to do that!
    but just to put some thought into what could be useful, like suppose my car breaksdown, not the whole of society, and at the same time my mobile phone is dead. Then i would have no phone numbers to contact family or breakdown assist. In that scenario, a scrap of paper with a few essential phone numbers, and the price of a taxi in cash would be more use than a rabbit snare, fire starter kit and a tarp, if you see what I mean.

I just don't want to be ready for the end of the world but not have the resources to cope with a flat tire:)

So my thinking goes somewhat in the following manner:
    1. Can i get home, without my car, in normal circumstances?
    2. Can i get home without my car in abnormal circumstances?
    3. If the car is stolen, can I get home, again, normal and abnormal circumstances.
    4. Can I protect myself in any circumstance?

then when i get home (urban location) can i bug in for a few months? shelter heating, water, food.stored and growing

Can I bug out to other home (rural location) how to get there without a car? and once there all the same issues as above.

And defence of our home wherever we are, mostly grey man and hidden caches etc.
    Something that might be handy all mobile phones with or without a sim card can call 112 if you have an old phone keep it in your GHB / BOB check it every 6 months when your rotating food,water and medical supplies

I plan to BUG IN if at all possible Ive precut marine ply to fit all the windows and doors in my house inside and out plus some other items to secure them Ive also set up low voltage CCTV thats rigged to my tv but can be rigged to a 12v monitor if needs be Solar panels/wind turbine and 4 batteries (hope to add to this this year) So far 2 to 3 weeks of extra food and drinking water ( Water is in the shed have to figure out a way to store this inside or most of it ) Also 55 gallon drums of rain water connected to the down stairs toilet for flushing
    Whats left to do......
    Work out how much fuel ill need for cooking/heating for a month or 2
    Secure my back garden more
    Emergency lighting (solar shed lights solar panel out doors lights indoors)
    Hopefully get some neighbours/people interested in forming a group

got three tiny little led lights that go on a keyring. cheap but smart. One of my key ring, on eack on the zip tab og my bug out bags to help me find the other stuff inside the bag.

Also bought wilderness medicine and first aid pocket book, going in my bob.

And worked really hard and got exhausted and wondered how i could ever have a romantic thought about low tech self sufficiency as a way of life, hard work is, well hard work. thank God to be home with a freezer meal in the micro and the telly . Ahhh. Might as well enjoy it before it all goes. Can you imagine how disgusted your tribal youngsters will be sitting around a campfire in some distant post eotw scenario, waiting eagerly to be told of the lost wonders of our age, only to discover that while you could have been using all that magic stuff, you preferred to sitting around a campfire anyway. They'll think we were nuts. Plus sa change, i suppose...:)

Got an 'Allo Vera! plant to start my medicinal herbs and plants collection.

Anyone know a good source for the key ring led lights? Plenty of links pop up on a search but I would like to find one that is proven, also seen them in my local garage but they dont look very strong.

Anyone know a good source for the key ring led lights? Plenty of links pop up on a search but I would like to find one that is proven, also seen them in my local garage but they dont look very strong.
    LED lenser K3 will cost ya around 10 quid if i remember right

• Advertisement

LED lenser K3 will cost ya around 10 quid if i remember right

Thanks for that, didnt realise you could get that quality for that sort of price. Do you know any that may fit in a tin?

Ive one of these on my keys the past 2 years never a problem with it
    http://www.survivalmetrics.com/id_Photon-Freedom-LED-Micro-Lights

grapeape wrote: »

0.65 cent on amazon, thank you sir!

grapeape wrote: »

0.65 cent on amazon, thank you sir!
    link??

led lenser k3 a tenner in Northface in Dublin at th emoment, also little keyring lights at 3 or 4 for a tenner , great for searching your pack or finding the keyhole etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

At Ikea today, mistakenly picked up some extra single servings of coffee and UHT milk from the free refill section. Suppose I'll have to put them in my BOB now ;)

On another subject, a local Chinese stocked 2 euro type shop has small laser lights, apart from blinding pilots are these useful for anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Tabnabs wrote: »
    On another subject, a local Chinese stocked 2 euro type shop has small laser lights, apart from blinding pilots are these useful for anything?

Blinding everyone else?

Tormenting cats? :D

(as in them chasing it, not blinding them!)

I'm looking for dust/particle googles for my BOB and came across these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flakjak-dust-Desert-ANTI-FOG-Goggles/dp/B001O2KCPG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1326732074&sr=8-6

any thoughts or tips?

• Advertisement

I'm looking for dust/particle googles for my BOB and came across these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flakjak-dust-Desert-ANTI-FOG-Goggles/dp/B001O2KCPG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1326732074&sr=8-6

any thoughts or tips?[/QUOTE
    Just make sure they arent airsoft ones as they have a lot of vents in them i got ess goggles on eBay for 25 they have ballistic lens

Advertisement