Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Extended my urban farm ; one more window box.

Bought a bag and started collecting gear for get home and bug out bags and carry kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OneGoalNoSoul

bonniebede wrote: »
    Bought a bag and started collecting gear for get home and bug out bags and carry kits.

Do you mind if I ask what bag you bought?

Im in a similar situation at the moment, looking for a bag for a GHB/BoB but one that won't stand out while I commute and at the same time is as durable as some of the military spec brand name bags out there, after all I want it to last me a life time.

At the moment I've bookmarked 3 options.

http://www.ebags.com/product/the-north-face/mainframe/218068?productid=10143910

http://www.kelty.com/p-416-redstart-26.aspx?category=backpacks&color=cypress

http://www.kelty.com/p-415-redtail-30.aspx?category=backpacks&color=cypress

Any recommendations advice would be greatly appriciated

emmm... they are some lovely looking bags. I bought one for 8 yoyos in dunnes, just a small haversack.

Because, firstly i can't afford anything else.
    SEcondly what money i do have i would rather spend on vital equipment than a bag to put it in. After that i will worry about quality carry bags.

Ok I know some people are going to point out that a bag is essential, but..
    My bob's are to sit on the floor at home and in my car. They won't get high usage that way, so FOR THE MOMENT a cheap bag is an ok option.

I have a sturdier day bag for hill walking.

If it hits the fan, then i expect my bob to get one use only, like to get me home or away to the country. THen I'll be staying put, not roaming around playing commando. And if I do have to take cover then my smallest daybag will be a better carry than a big huge camping item.

So thats where i'm at at the moment.

Still trying to work out what scenarios I am really preparing for. Like rabbit snares are nice to have, but I am probably going to find a spare change or a wind up phone charger more use :)

My strategies are based on...get home safely, get to rural bug out place safely, hunker down and eat stored food for a year, have the resources to become a self sufficient small holder safely and defensively,with a network of likeminded individuals.

Long periods of living off the land scenarios don't seem that likely to me.
    Why be a hunter gatherer when you can be a farmer, at least in the long term.

however I do want to have skils and equipment enough to forage until the harvest is ready and to supplement what can be grown.

Today I...
    replaced my walking boots. New boots! I feel the hills calling:D

Got a victoinox folding knife/swiss army knife type thing, for my key ring.

Bought paracord, walking socks, 2 sporks.

Thought about containers for a survival tin.

6 candles for the supply stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Bought two small fire extinguishers for €10 each - one for the house, one for the car.
    Bought a small pack of high calorie dog treats to put into my pack for my little girl.

Decided to extend my rations packs - in case I get stuck for more than a day/2day (depending on if it is me / me +1) also to try make my bag smaller.

Decided on new rations:

2 x tinned salmon
    2 x packet noodles
    2 x quick snack pot (pasta + tomato / pasta + mushroom)
    6 x granola bars
    4 x tea bags (2x normal tea / 2x herbal)
    4 x sugar sachet
    6 x uht milk sachets

TODO:
    find reasonably priced water purification tablets.
    restock main first aid kit.
    find/buy new camping stove.
    buy more safety pins.
    buy paracord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

emmm... they are some lovely looking bags. I bought one for 8 yoyos in dunnes, just a small haversack.

I started off with a cheap bag too until i got a cheap surplus bag What I did with the cheap bag was restiched the straps top and bottem juat to make them stronger then used it on a couple of day hikes just to be sure if i had to carry it it held up
    Check out ebay or some of the airsoft shops for military surplus bags and pouches I got a 120l bergan on airsoft advert here on boards for €40 this bag new is over €100 and its perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

bought a tarp today in ikea....at the tills area , only 6euro, good size too....there must be more for us here in this monster of a place??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

bought a tarp today in ikea....at the tills area , only 6euro, good size too....there must be more for us here in this monster of a place??

If you want to make yourself a little hobo stove, then the cutlery strainer in Ikea is ideal. There's even a YouTube video by a guy who made a fire drill from ikea bits and bobs.

to day got a bivvi bag. building towards a good bob.

checked out my new edc knife for my keyring, a victorinox. think i know what everything is for.

Decluttered a bit at home. I find clutter is the enemy of preparedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Not on the same quality line as others, but picked up a multitool in aldi today for 4.99 which will go in the bob i'm trying to build up. Will upload pics later.
    Also started putting together other contents such as first aid, lights, batteries, matches (some wax dipped for waterproofing) and a spare mobile with no sim card (though I must look for a spare top up card and throw a fiver on it).

Money's a bit tight at the mo, so most of what I'm putting in is cheap stuff, but once I have the bulk of what I want in the bag I'll be slowly replacing each piece with better quality versions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I didn't do it today but I've ordered a firesteel.com firesteel, thought it would have come by now but it seems they shipped nothing over the Christmas period.

Gathering up wood on the farm if that counts :D

Got a few bits and bobs from my hillwalking days, not sure what's in the backpack at the moment but I must have a rummage.

johngalway wrote: »
    I didn't do it today but I've ordered a firesteel.com firesteel, thought it would have come by now but it seems they shipped nothing over the Christmas period.

Gathering up wood on the farm if that counts :D

Got a few bits and bobs from my hillwalking days, not sure what's in the backpack at the moment but I must have a rummage.

Fire wood is very important!

My plans for it at the moment are
    1. burn the sofa.
    2. burn the bed.
    3. Burn the neighbours sofa.:o

But only if they've all died of a plague of something.

A few years ago we boarded up the fireplace. Big mistake. Hoping to get it reopened this year sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Fire wood is very important!

My plans for it at the moment are
    1. burn the sofa.
    2. burn the bed.
    3. Burn the neighbours sofa.:o

But only if they've all died of a plague of something.

A few years ago we boarded up the fireplace. Big mistake. Hoping to get it reopened this year sometime.

If you can don't just open up the fireplace fit a woodburning (multifuel) stove and chimney liner (the liner is quite important with a woodburing stove).

The point of using a woodburning stove is that you get at least twice the amount of heat into the room from the same amount of firewood. An open fire puts at least 60% of the heat up the chimney but a stove can loose less than 30% of the heat that way.

4 candles, ~15hr burn time each ~€2!
    Also I have an ikea can opener, think it cost ~€2 much easier to use in the cold than the little stabby ones.

Today:
    Bought some new gear online (I found an Irish online shop which has good prices, am I allowed post link up?)

Bought:
    1 x Emergency Survival Bag
    1 x Reflective Survival Blanket (mylar)
    1 x mini fishing kit
    1 x Gaffa Tape
    1 x Chlorine Tablets (free with purchase!)
    1 x Neutralizing Tablets for Chlorine and Iodine (free with purchase!)
    1 x 190 Cartridge
    1 x Instaflam 190S Gas Stove
    1 x 5 in 1 Emergency Whistle, (whistle,compass,matches,flint,mirror)

TODO:
    Figure out more ways to minimize my kit - I want tot fit it into the boot of my car (hatchback) without it taking over (It currently uses quite a bit of space in my bedroom)

evilmonkee wrote: »
    4 candles, ~15hr burn time each ~€2!
    Also I have an ikea can opener, think it cost ~€2 much easier to use in the cold than the little stabby ones.

Today:
    Bought some new gear online (I found an Irish online shop which has good prices, am I allowed post link up?)

Bought:
    1 x Emergency Survival Bag
    1 x Reflective Survival Blanket (mylar)
    1 x mini fishing kit
    1 x Gaffa Tape
    1 x Chlorine Tablets (free with purchase!)
    1 x Neutralizing Tablets for Chlorine and Iodine (free with purchase!)
    1 x 190 Cartridge
    1 x Instaflam 190S Gas Stove
    1 x 5 in 1 Emergency Whistle, (whistle,compass,matches,flint,mirror)

TODO:
    Figure out more ways to minimize my kit - I want tot fit it into the boot of my car (hatchback) without it taking over (It currently uses quite a bit of space in my bedroom)
    Can you post or pm me the link to the on line shop you found cheers

TODO:

Any space around or inside the spare wheel? Handy place if the spare wheel is inside the boot to fit a decent length of rope if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Today:

Think it's ok as long as you are not blatantly trying to promote the site, but I could be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I bought some cardboard roofracks and some very strong webbing straps from ikea. Handy for a quick getaway on any vehicle.

Also used some kitchen units in my van.

I am sure there is a lot more but by time I get to the homeware section I have lost the will to live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

Come on Grapeape whats the website address. I've been searching for a good place to get my prepper stuff in Ireland. Mayhaps this website thoust speakith of could be it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Is it this place? www.beprepared.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

That's more of a survival site Krusty........We need a pepping site with food storage and stuff like that.

Thats the place I ordered my new stuff from, I can let everyone know when I get it, if people are interested? They have good prices though. And they're clearing out purifying & neutralizing tablets, so if you make a purchase you can take one free.

Brought the kids hiking mainly to test the weight in our packs and practice collecting water and purification how to set up shelters with a poncho and testing mres ill stick to wet mres rather than freeze dried ones they are a little heavyer but a lot nicer

Firesteel.com firesteel arrived today, first things first... Off out I went with some 0000 wire wool, it does indeed work as tinder and very well too!

Thats the place I ordered my new stuff from, I can let everyone know when I get it, if people are interested? .
    Well, whether your interested or not :D here goes.

I got my order today , dispatched yesterday by courier - great delivery time, I do live in Dublin however.(shop is registered in Laois)

Contents:
    1 x survival bag - as expected
    1 x survival blanket - very lightweight but for <€3 it's as expected.
    1 x chlorine tablets - great little packaging tub (sturdy), plenty of tablets(~75), instructions on tub
    1 x neutralizing tablets - same as above (both were free as they're clearing out stock usually ~€6)
    1 x instaflame 190g gas stove - as expected , cheap and cheerful. €9.99
    1 x 190g gas cartridge - does what it says on the tin (hopefully!)
    1 x 5 in 1 emergency whistle - matches missing from contents *
    1 x camp survival kit (fishing stuff) - marked as out of stock *

* I emailed them and get a very fast response, as I received the email, I also received a refund for the cost of the fishing kit (I'm guessing I emailed faster than they got it put through). Regarding the matches they apologized (he said that the manufacturer doesnt include them but he felt this was not good enough, so they include them themselves but had forgotten) they will post them out.

Overall I'm very happy with the service, they were brilliant to get in contact with, the goods are as expected for the price and the delivery was fast.

The only issue I would have is delivery at €7.50 is a bit much unless you were purchasing a fair amount of stuff.

UPDATE: Received an email earlier today informing me that the matches had shipped via regular post. Great service IMO.

While out for a good long walk on the beach with the Wolf (we call our large dog of dubious origin the Wolf) I bumped into some lads digging bait on the beach. So stopped for a chat to intoduce the Wolf and got a lesson in how to dig lugworm and the best places to go for bait.

On the way back and on our rocky beach (walk covers shingle beach, sandy beach, and a rocky shoreline) I bumped into another local picking winkles (I think as bait as the guys a mad fisherman) and got another lesson on the best places to fish locally.

Strange really I regularly do that same walk and don't meet another living soul - the reason for going that way.

UPDATE: Received an email earlier today informing me that the matches had shipped via regular post. Great service IMO.

Got my matches delivered this morning - box of 25 storm matches.

On the way back and on our rocky beach (walk covers shingle beach, sandy beach, and a rocky shoreline) I bumped into another local picking winkles (I think as bait as the guys a mad fisherman) and got another lesson on the best places to fish locally.

People around here have picked them for years upon years, they sell them on to middlemen I guess who resell them. I'm not completely sure of the end destination whether it's restaurants, for export or both.

Friend of mine did it for years, reckons now he'd have to be awfully hard up to go back to the shore again, real tough work, bent over most of the day, cold and always wet.

Some times of the year there's decent money out of it though.

Can you eat that sort of food out of Dublin bay? I'm always afraid of pollution, not to mention Sellafield. Anyone have an opinion?

• Advertisement

Today I planted up a window box, thus doubling the size of my growing area.:D

Planted pea for salad shoots ( three weeks), cress, broccolli and rocket micro greens, all ready in a week.

I was thinking this sort of food could add the issing component to a storage food diet very quickly, so maybe some packets of this will go in the seed bank, along with the other more main crops. But I want to try them first. Theu could be blah.:P

Also sorting out my various bags and doing some planning for them.

Advertisement