Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I bought this today. Couldn't help myself. I'll stick up a review when it comes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What are you thinking of charging with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Khannie wrote: »
    I bought this today. Couldn't help myself. I'll stick up a review when it comes.

My mate bought something similar recently for a 10 day Stand Up Paddle board trip from the east coast to the west coast via the canals and the shannon. It kept his phone charged most of the way which was great because he camoed rough most nights and had nowhere to charge his phone to stay in touch and update his blog with pictures ect.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What are you thinking of charging with it?

Well...anything USB I suppose. I reckon it'll charge my phone over the course of a day, nook (easily), stuff like that.

I was thinking of getting a USB AA / AAA battery charger too. Then I could charge torch batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

solar power phone/accessory charger came today.

Ive been mostly researching stuff which could be incorporated into a self build.
    Heres a few I'm thinking straight away
    Energy sources
    cool storing area/larder
    cctv points
    insulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

solar power phone/accessory charger came today.

Ive been mostly researching stuff which could be incorporated into a self build.
    Heres a few I'm thinking straight away
    Energy sources
    cool storing area/larder
    cctv points
    insulation

You'll have great difficulty incorporating a cool store/larder into a modern airtight new build. It's something I looking into and couldn't easily make happen.

Bought a 12ft boat today with a trailer for very handy money so it will be a project for the summer evenings here after work.
    Also moving furter on with getting the jeep on the road

Went out hunting for the first time in ages this evening and now have a freezer half full of rabbit meat!

aaakev wrote: »
    Went out hunting for the first time in ages this evening and now have a freezer half full of rabbit meat!

What method??

What method??

Shotgun

• Advertisement

Interesting. I've never been hunting (yet!), but I'm surprised you could get close enough with a shotgun. What kind of range do they have? And was the rabbit meat not riddled with pellets?

Interesting. I've never been hunting (yet!), but I'm surprised you could get close enough with a shotgun. What kind of range do they have? And was the rabbit meat not riddled with pellets?

For rabbits i use a .22 rifle or ferret and nets… the ferret is the cheapest option as they will eat the off cuts etc from the rabbit.

For rabbits i use a .22 rifle or ferret and nets… the ferret is the cheapest option as they will eat the off cuts etc from the rabbit.

Also no licensing needed

60 + yards no problem and iv often shot 2 with the one shot which is a bonus! The pellets dont penetrate the meat so not riddled with. If I shoot rabbits with my .223 they just explode so its a waist, an expensive one at that too!

Bought 500g of millicano for £7 . Stocking up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Just bought two more Mason jars.

I use my current ones which keep my salt, pepper and other spices fresh. This may not seem vital to you but post collapse it's going to be the only way to vary the endless meals of meat and vegetables..! :)

Also been looking up plans for cooking with a hay box. And am currently grabbing some shredded newspaper (easier to get hold of than hay if you're an Urbanite and also easier to store) to give it a whirl - going to give chicken casserole a try, watch this space...

Bought a spork & did some cardio to try build up fitness

Also bear grylls fleece arrived

Fishing rod set up. shakespeare reel and also bought a few lures, spinners etc. Rod is retractable so handy for the boot of the car.

Fishing rod set up. shakespeare reel and also bought a few lures, spinners etc. Rod is retractable so handy for the boot of the car.

My retractable rod lives in the back of my van too. I can often be found spending my lunch hanging off howth pier catching Mackrell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

bought a second freezer yesterday.

Currently cooking about 5 lasagne's, planning to have a pretty good rotating store of frozen meals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Refreshed my first aid kit contents and swatted up on the core skills drill to keep it fresh in mind. Packed a kit to leave in her car too while I was in the swing of it.

Loaded a 60 litre food grade barrel with a full kit for winter emergencies or unplanned stays. Food and trangia, clothes, compact sleeping bag, small wash kit, old
    Nokia brick with a couple of chargers and that kind of thing. Stuffed in my old down jacket and an old pair of boots and waterproofs and several pairs of gloves and hats. All the basics too, knife, torch and spares, maps and compass and a small tarp. I'll chuck it in the jeep come late autumn and it can stay there until late spring. Handy because it keeps it all safe and dry and more importantly out of the way and nondescript. Gonna write something like Compost on the side so nobody will bother their hole trying to rob it too.

Any of ye keep grub in the car and if so what? I usually have beans and sausages in tins, cuppa soups, 10 or so snickers and a few single servings of flahavans porridge. My brew kit never gets brought inside so it's always in the car with some 3 in one sachets, tea bags and coffee mate, all packed together in a big biscuit tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Finally learned how to use a sewing machine. Cordura and 1" webbing to order then I will make some custom kit bags or pouches and tool rolls. Should have done it years ago.

Found a Garmin GPS12 like new in a flea market. No PC cable or 12v power lead but boxed with manuals and will work the finest on AA's as a spare. That can go in the cache barrel.

Sounds great theemigrant, I spoke to a Survivalist over the weekend who plans to bug out by living on his boat when the SHTF, do you have any thoughts on this? I can just about see how it would work but presumably you'd have to stay quite close to land to avoid bad weather and make runs inland for supplies you can't fish out of the ocean?

Sounds great theemigrant, I spoke to a Survivalist over the weekend who plans to bug out by living on his boat when the SHTF, do you have any thoughts on this? I can just about see how it would work but presumably you'd have to stay quite close to land to avoid bad weather and make runs inland for supplies you can't fish out of the ocean?

I would rather keep a strongholding of land with a boat hidden on a freshwater lake so that i could keep other animals too.... My main plan, bad as it sounds would be to accquire as many sheep & cattle as possible. If the shtf in a proper scenario i would imagine farmers etc will no longer take care of these

I would rather keep a strongholding of land with a boat hidden on a freshwater lake so that i could keep other animals too.... My main plan, bad as it sounds would be to accquire as many sheep & cattle as possible. If the shtf in a proper scenario i would imagine farmers etc will no longer take care of these

Good man, I want to keep goats and pigs myself for milk and manure respectively. My OH laughs at this as I wouldn't have the heart to slaughter a pig.

Anyway on to more relevant matters, I've ordered more water purification tablets and also some more perlite for the bottle garden I have planned for my balcony, details to follow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

My OH laughs at this as I wouldn't have the heart to slaughter a pig.

Are you a man or woman?
    You and your OH could consider couples counselling?

userod wrote: »
    Are you a man or woman?
    You and your OH could consider couples counselling?

I admit it's a poor Survivalist who refuses to kill animals but then come the apocalypse I can always trade piglets if you fancy some bacon.. you'll just have to do the err... necessaries yourself. :-D

Edit : On a more serious note there is something to be said for feeding scraps to your pigs and using them to manure the soil as you can grow far more food on the same amount of land which they fertilise for you then you'd ever get out of a few hams and sides of bacon! :-D The current plan is to have a pen that can be moved around the land as necessary so that the piggies can do their duty by it. ..

I admit it's a poor Survivalist who refuses to kill animals but then come the apocalypse I can always trade piglets if you fancy some bacon.. you'll just have to do the err... necessaries yourself. :-D

Edit : On a more serious note there is something to be said for feeding scraps to your pigs and using them to manure the soil as you can grow far more food on the same amount of land which they fertilise for you then you'd ever get out of a few hams and sides of bacon! :-D The current plan is to have a pen that can be moved around the land as necessary so that the piggies can do their duty by it. ..

Id buy one fit for the freezer. Also.. Wouldnt it be great if we devised a list of other preppers/potential allies abd skills they have which may be of use in preparation of a shtf scenario

Today i bought a 64gb memory stick purely for storing info on

Continuing to store info on the usb.
    Also bought some books on farming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

have solid fuel and wood stock sorted for winter
    and all stacked this week

Advertisement