Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

aaakev wrote: »
    There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes ;)

I have a 3 yr old in tow lol

Bought battery charger today, im away a lot so car constantly needs to be jumped. (Dad never starts them when i ask)

Chopped a bit of timber for fires in preparation of few cold nights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I have a 3 yr old in tow lol

I take it back!! Haha

Bought battery charger today, im away a lot so car constantly needs to be jumped. (Dad never starts them when i ask)

Chopped a bit of timber for fires in preparation of few cold nights

If your going away disconnect your battery, it will last longer than letting ot go right down then charging it back up every time

If your going away disconnect your battery, it will last longer than letting ot go right down then charging it back up every time

ordered a trickle charger off ebay too

• Advertisement

Chopped yet more timber.
    Got a great set of gloves in aldi todsy. There for fishing but perfect for outdoor work. 7.50

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Today I finished my home made skinning knife (well, nearly!). I started by cutting my shape out of paper. When happy with the shape, I cut the shape out of 18mm ply. Still happy with the shape, I then cut it out of an old table saw blade. Then changed the shape!! Cut the scales out of an old oak floorboard. Ground down the metal till I was really happy with the shape. Heat treated the blade. Re ground the blade and final sharpening. Fixed on the scales with epoxy and pins made out of nails, a copper qualpex insert for a lanyard. Shaped the handle to suit myself and oiled it. All that's left is another bit of oil and a final rub of the blade when the handle is finished. It's sharp enough to slice printer paper at the mo. Just have to make a sheath now.
    It's a bit rough in places but as it's my first, I don't mind to much, I learned a lot from this one so the next well be easier, hopefully better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Missed some pics of some steps but here's the finished product so far

Missed some pics of some steps but here's the finished product so far

What do you hunt?
    Excellent knife btw

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

Really nice work there, being researching knife making for a little while now, will be attempting it myself at some stage hopefully. By the way b&q sell 1m lengths of silud circular brass bar, 6 & 9mm I think, less than a tenner afaik. also hollow aluminium tubes, Might be an option for the next one ;-)

• Advertisement

Progressed with application for rifle licence
    Made some logs from paper, sawdust and horse dung :)
    Waterproofed new Clark's leather boots I bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I thought this was a brilliant idea: Granulated sugar in a strong resealable plastic bag with a pouring spout, brand: Gem, 500g, €1,19, Dunnes.

The picture stolen from Tesco's website http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274182053 doesn't show the bag as well as could. The pouring spout is quite substantial. The bag might even make a handy roll up water bottle after the contents have been used up.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

You pay double the price for the convenience but as it should store really well I was happy enough to pay the extra.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Got a Fallkniven D4 sharpener with a handy little leather pouch. Amazon vouchers are a great present ;)

I also established that browsing Boards through their Android app is rubbish, so pretty much a boards free xmas for me.

Progressed with application for rifle licence

Ah do tell us more!

Ah do tell us more!

Have to do a firearm safety course so have applied for it

Have to do a firearm safety course so have applied for it

Have ya picked your gun yet?

Have ya picked your gun yet?

Yeah im buying a .177 rim fire from McCarthys in prosperous. I havent picked exact gun so some suggestions would be appreciated :)

Yeah im buying a .177 rim fire from McCarthys in prosperous. I havent picked exact gun so some suggestions would be appreciated :)

Its a .17hmr. Smashing little round! Cheap shooting and its powerful enough for foxes too if your within reasonable range. My first rifle was a marlin 917v in .17hmr and i loved it, sorry i sold it tbh!

Its a .17hmr. Smashing little round! Cheap shooting and its powerful enough for foxes too if your within reasonable range. My first rifle was a marlin 917v in .17hmr and i loved it, sorry i sold it tbh!

Yea your quite correct... The .177 is the air rifle i have here in manchester

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This sounds like an interesting project, something I'd like to see more of.
    Emily Duffy from Desmond College, Limerick has designed and built a lightweight sleeping bag suited to homeless people that works well in any conditions and also has many clever safety features.

“I wanted to develop a sleeping bag that would solve some of the problems with existing cloth bags,” said Emily, 15, a third year student who is participating in her third Young Scientist event.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/emily-duffy-15-designs-clever-sleeping-bag-to-help-the-homeless-1.2057762

I'd like to see how it's sealed at the base, as it appears to be just a tube?

Also interesting to see how light, durable and packable it would be.

• Advertisement

Is there any price on them?
    Put together my new mountain bike last night

Not even in production, it's just a student science project. But I'd love to see one first hand to see if it lives up to the hype.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Not even in production, it's just a student science project. But I'd love to see one first hand to see if it lives up to the hype.

Off ya go up to the rds so, her project is in the bt young scientist exhibition at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

A 20 year old in America made one and only employs homeless people to make them http://www.fastcoexist.com/1682418/a-single-coat-design-combats-homelessness-in-detroit-and-beyond

ShadowFox wrote: »
    A 20 year old in America made one and only employs homeless people to make them http://www.fastcoexist.com/1682418/a-single-coat-design-combats-homelessness-in-detroit-and-beyond

Excellent, what a great project.

Started to make my logs from waste material. Will post a thread later

Started to make my logs from waste material. Will post a thread later

I'll take some convincing that you don't burn more calories making those logs than you actually get back from burning them :D

my3cents wrote: »
    I'll take some convincing that you don't burn more calories making those logs than you actually get back from burning them :D

It was just adding waste paper, sawdust from saw and dung to a drum n leaving it to form a mushy mulch. Then 5 minutes made me 10 logs.

It was just adding waste paper, sawdust from saw and dung to a drum n leaving it to form a mushy mulch. Then 5 minutes made me 10 logs.

A neighbor makes the paper bricks and spends ages moving them about and turning them to get them to dry out. Then seems to have to use extra coal to get them to burn :confused:

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    A neighbor makes the paper bricks and spends ages moving them about and turning them to get them to dry out. Then seems to have to use extra coal to get them to burn :confused:

Sure see my method then decide

Advertisement