Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

FWT, your plot looks great! Mine has a watercourse running through it rather than a stream so I won't be reliant on it for water but I shall be installing a well to access the subterranean, gargantuan pockets of granite filtered water. Also, with a water course, I'll be responsible for managing and maintaining it so there's a bit of duty involved but hey ho, it's part and parcel of my returning to nature's way as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In case you haven't already seen it, I'd recommend the Small Woodland Owner’s Group website http://www.swog.org.uk/ It's a British site, but lots of useful stuff for small woodland owners here too.

They have a leaflet about getting sheds etc. onto your land and how to get the planners on-side.
    http://www.woodlands.co.uk/owning-a-wood/sheds-leaflet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

Congrats on land acquisition, looking at pictures it looks a lot like the type of land I bought.

I have similar plans to yourself, cabin (check out tinyhouse website) and a garden.

Basically a place to spend time during the summer and a few weekends over the year.

My place also has a stream for fresh water and I intend putting in a composting toilet system.

It gets enough wind that I should be able to install one of my home made wind turbines to charge a few batteries for light.

The best part is its fairly isolated yet within hiking distance of a village shop and walking distance to neighbours.

Congrats again on purchase.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.
    Wow that looks the businness

I be jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

ron jambo wrote: »
    Wow that looks the businness

I be jealous

Don't be, I'll have a friendly fence, anyone with a like mind can visit, stay,help out, and breathe the clean air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Khannie wrote: »
    Nice. Very nice. Living the dream. :) My wife knows I have a thing for getting a decent wood supply built up. There's a fuel depot that we pass quite a bit and they have a huge log pile out the front that's been seasoning since last year. I keep threatening to buy the whole thing. :D

(I also keep threatening to buy a stove. God I'd love a stove.)

me too I have wanted a wood burning stove for a few years now it was a bit of an obsession (a bit like my obsession to buy a land rover 3 series. I like my low tech - I think!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Glad I'm not alone. I drop hints all the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

keep an eye around, some places have stove offers at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

GY A1 wrote: »
    keep an eye around, some places have stove offers at the mo

Any links??

saw a leaflet in the paper,
    it was either joyces headford or ganly's athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I been looking for a bit of land. Mainly for planting trees on to milk the subsidies, only a few acres to start off like but there is nothing reasonable down in Cork and although I havn't been looking long I'll soon get blue in the face from POA listings and having to call auctioneers, be put on hold, told I'll be called back only to find out that the lad wants €15,000 an acre

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

After reading this

http://dirttime.com/bug-out-security-with-uv

I now have a uv pen and uv LED on my wish list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Tabnabs wrote: »
    After reading this

Sorry for being so cynical but I do see a problem in that if you are found with a UV pen or lamp then someone is going to be looking for stuff that is marked with UV.

The only way around that I can think of is to mark all your gear so it looks like you are using the UV marking for theft protection rather than some covert operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Tabnabs wrote: »
    After reading this

Lemon juice and heat when needed. an oldie but a goodie.

Sorry for being so cynical but I do see a problem in that if you are found with a UV pen or lamp then someone is going to be looking for stuff that is marked with UV.

The only way around that I can think of is to mark all your gear so it looks like you are using the UV marking for theft protection rather than some covert operation.

The pen you only need once and then leave it at home or wherever, the little LED torches look just like normal torches.

If you keep them all together in a bag, then...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Blue_Ghost_Ink_3oz_p/n19190.htm

Invisible fountain pen ink, they make a lot of really nice coloured inks and security inks also.

Nothing fancy but something I've been meaning to do for a long time is move some of our food stores up above the flood level we can get here. With the current weather and storms it seemed I should get on with it. Anyway after trying different ideas I started my stacks of plastic boxes on top of upturned fish boxes (the big heavy plastic ones - I pick them up on the beach) which with the height of the plastic store boxes gives me 2' 6" before they get swamped. Might do some calculations based on the horror stories locals come out with about the water coming up as high as the windows and see how high I really need to go. From what I can work out high tides storms and a flooded river can land us in a foot of water, the really deep floods only come after snow in the mountains and a sudden thaw which is a fortunately a rare occurrence and one that its possible to prepare for in advance (I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Bought some solid fuel.

Went to land and cut down 4 huge firs, stripped branches ready to cut and stack for drying.

Fitted an extra double security light in my yard.

Bought some more tinned food.

Bought some solid fuel.

Went to land and cut down 4 huge firs, stripped branches ready to cut and stack for drying.

Thats a productive day dazza :cool:

aaakev wrote: »
    Thats a productive day dazza :cool:

Had to do something to burn of the christmas choccies!! First bit done in a while but hopefully only the beginning.

Bought some solid fuel.

LOL we have a single 60 Watt bulb outside the back door and I sometimes think that produces too much light pollution :D

I have a secret desire to go around to some of the neighbors with a catapult and put out the big sodium lamps that are left on day and night but enough of my eccentricities :o

Picked up 3 rolls of duck tape in Lidl, bobs are in a constant state of being refined and a roll in each seemed like a good idea.

Off tomorrow for a look around Waterford to see what I can spend some money on, bet I can't find the one thing I'm looking for, a traditional enamel mug (did see them in Woodies a while back so will try there first). I'm also on the lookout for coffee bags, still tying to refine my on the move brew kit.

• Advertisement

Bought some solid fuel.

Have some chopping up to do here to

LOL we have a single 60 Watt bulb outside the back door and I sometimes think that produces too much light pollution :D

I have a secret desire to go around to some of the neighbors with a catapult and put out the big sodium lamps that are left on day and night but enough of my eccentricities :o

Picked up 3 rolls of duck tape in Lidl, bobs are in a constant state of being refined and a roll in each seemed like a good idea.

Off tomorrow for a look around Waterford to see what I can spend some money on, bet I can't find the one thing I'm looking for, a traditional enamel mug (did see them in Woodies a while back so will try there first). I'm also on the lookout for coffee bags, still tying to refine my on the move brew kit.

Hence why i have them on timed motion sensors :-)

I bought one of those mugs last week in the army surplus shop in killarney for €3.

Coffee bags available online i took a few camping before...... Taste isnt as nice.

Duck tape is a great idea for the BOB'S , must add a roll to ours.

GY A1 wrote: »
    Have some chopping up to do here to

Time to borrow my fathers chainsaw i think!=)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

I cleaned my house from top to bottom
    Drove to Derry to buy quality cat food in Jollys
    Handed in some clothes to the charity shop and bought some more.
    Brought my nephews to watch 'Frozen' I cried, they sniffled..it was brilliant!
    Bought some more clay to do a bit of sculpting - two overdue Christmas presents to make :)

Hence why i have them on timed motion sensors :-)

I bought one of those mugs last week in the army surplus shop in killarney for €3.

Coffee bags available online i took a few camping before...... Taste isnt as nice.

Duck tape is a great idea for the
    BOB'S ,
    must add a roll to ours.
    sorry what are BOBS?

nikinova wrote: »
    sorry what are BOBS?

Haha you must be new ;)

Welcome!

BOB = Bug Out Bag aka go bag aka THE NAZIS ARE COMING DROP EVERYTHING AND RUN BAG!!!

aaakev wrote: »
    Haha you must be new ;)

Welcome!

BOB = Bug Out Bag aka go bag aka THE NAZIS ARE COMING DROP EVERYTHING AND RUN BAG!!!

:-D :-D :-D

AHAHA i

Boy i never heard of it:) Now I have learnt something new for tomorrow:) :)

Thank you for the welcome, I love this thread:)

If ya like this thread ya will like the rest of the forum too

• Advertisement

Added a few more items to store and bobs this week.

In a sale I picked up some cheap folding water containers (10l iirc) and added one to each bob. Ditto some enamel bowls.

In the store went 2 of the big Dunnes packs of firelighters, I've double wrapped them in cling film but I know they can smell a bit and taint some food so will keep them separate with other non food stuff. Also put in a couple of rolls of tin foil, always useful for campfire cooking.

Advertisement