Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Could you recharge them on a hobby charger and just use the crank handle for topping up?

Nice job btw., been meaning to get a wind up radio with a while.

Ordered a 5.11 Rush 72 as my new hiking bag and bought a couple of tarps to try a lighter, tent-less camping style. Not sure how that will go with our usual weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Could you recharge them on a hobby charger and just use the crank handle for topping up?

Nice job btw., been meaning to get a wind up radio with a while.

Ordered a 5.11 Rush 72 as my new hiking bag and bought a couple of tarps to try a lighter, tent-less camping style. Not sure how that will go with our usual weather?

you could as long as it was current limited. just set to 2.7v and should be mostly full in about a minute

5.11 used to make a few supercap powered torches but they discontinued them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

bought some concrete mix to set a diy anvil in and some fire cement to help with a forge.

Ill clearly be an awesome blacksmith in about two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Took the kids fishing on sat and thought them how to fish, we caught 17 Mackerel and 3 Pollock in about 4 hours, they took part in it all, setting up the rods, casting, reeling in a catch, dispatching the fish and gutting them and then getting them ready for the bbq that evening! Fun family day out and some new skills passed on the the little ones! Might go again this weekend:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Was given two surefire flashlights 6p and 9p and an as new s10 respirator / gas mask.......sorted now for a night time gas attack lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Entered into (early) negotiations on two potential pieces of land: a 5 acre plot and a 2.5 acre plot, both with forested sections. I'm mulling over what size plot would be best for a 'retreat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Danpad wrote: »
    Entered into (early) negotiations on two potential pieces of land: a 5 acre plot and a 2.5 acre plot, both with forested sections. I'm mulling over what size plot would be best for a 'retreat'.

Wow..if the aspect and location are similar and you can afford it go large, you never hear anyone saying I wish I had less land ... :):) (except when mowing the lawn )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Today, I made a batch of garlic syrup, meant to be very good for colds and boosting your immune system, and seeing as how I had a cold coming on and will be working on roofs for the next while, I said I'd give it a shot. Also made another batch of cayenne pepper salve for the auld sore joints, reason being the same as above. I also started beach fishing at the weekend, caught 3 dog fish. Also did a quick recky of my area (got a dog, started walking!) collected a good bit of birch bark for fire starting. Cut down some dead pines last week too, added to the fuel store. Got to say though, thought during the week with the whole syria thing going on, I got to thinking I'm not so prepared. Talked to a few lads in work and realised I'm a lot more prepared then some!!!

It was actually about a month ago, not today . but I bought a jeep! My first

Coming from a golf that couldn't even look at speed bumps it's great. Love the big tires and ground clearance. Big boot is brilliant too.

Carting pallets home from work today to cut up for the stove

Markcheese wrote: »
    Wow..if the aspect and location are similar and you can afford it go large, you never hear anyone saying I wish I had less land ... :):) (except when mowing the lawn )

I've opted to go for a 5 acre plot, two thirds of which is forested (approx. 3000 trees, mainly spruce but with a few clumps of birch, ash and most excitingly I'll be getting a couple of clippings of Californian redwood!!). It'll be spring next year before I 'get the keys' but I'm already buzzing with excitement. I plan on erecting a wooden cabin with a surrounding camp area and I may film/document the whole experience as I'll be doing it all from scratch with no experience of owning/managing such a plot or building a cabin. So, all in all it'll be a 'walk in alien corn' for me...and then there's the jet black bog eel to watch out for who apparently lives in the water course which runs along one of the perimeters!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Seriously jealous of that purchase, my dream project right there! Please do a blog or something to keep us updated. Something along the lines of http://laptopandarifle.wordpress.com/ would be great.

Congrats Danpad, delighted for you!! If you need a hand, just shout. If you've got food and coffee, I'll work for free!!!
    I've opted to go for a 5 acre plot, two thirds of which is forested (approx. 3000 trees, mainly spruce but with a few clumps of birch, ash and most excitingly I'll be getting a couple of clippings of Californian redwood!!). It'll be spring next year before I 'get the keys' but I'm already buzzing with excitement. I plan on erecting a wooden cabin with a surrounding camp area and I may film/document the whole experience as I'll be doing it all from scratch with no experience of owning/managing such a plot or building a cabin. So, all in all it'll be a 'walk in alien corn' for me...and then there's the jet black bog eel to watch out for who apparently lives in the water course which runs along one of the perimeters!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Seriously jealous of that purchase, my dream project right there! Please do a blog or something to keep us updated. Something along the lines of http://laptopandarifle.wordpress.com/ would be great.

Agreed! Really interested to hear how you get on.

Thanks guys, I'm absolutely chuffed about the whole opportunity and I may be looking for a dig out with various tasks for anyone that's into it. As payment, I'll not only offer pots of Aldi's finest instant brewed over the camp fire but some of my infamous pasta/pesto 'mulch' as my good lady wife describes it (as she's eating it, I should point out!) and I also do a mean stew. Also, if the world ever does turn to custard, I'll give you first refusal to come and knock on my fence where you'll be offered sanctuary amongst nature's bounty. I'll at a minimum definitely blog about it from day one but first there's the small matter(s) of clearly marking out boundaries to facilitate the purchase and all the red tape that follows...there's also the matter of visiting the land with the current owner on Saturday to see if the deer he spotted are transitory or looking to settle for a while. But, do you know what one of the best feelings is?....making the leap to do it. We won't be living there but it will become a massive part of ours and our kids lives.

I knew a guy who made a mean stew. One bit of meat and a bowl of gravy!!
    Again, delighted for you, it's something I've been looking into for a long time.
    Thanks guys, I'm absolutely chuffed about the whole opportunity and I may be looking for a dig out with various tasks for anyone that's into it. As payment, I'll not only offer pots of Aldi's finest instant brewed over the camp fire but some of my infamous pasta/pesto 'mulch' as my good lady wife describes it (as she's eating it, I should point out!) and I also do a mean stew. Also, if the world ever does turn to custard, I'll give you first refusal to come and knock on my fence where you'll be offered sanctuary amongst nature's bounty. I'll at a minimum definitely blog about it from day one but first there's the small matter(s) of clearly marking out boundaries to facilitate the purchase and all the red tape that follows...there's also the matter of visiting the land with the current owner on Saturday to see if the deer he spotted are transitory or looking to settle for a while. But, do you know what one of the best feelings is?....making the leap to do it. We won't be living there but it will become a massive part of ours and our kids lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

In a couple of hours I am going to get my garden basically

wooden growing boxes with loads of vegtables planted and picking up a green house from BNQ to store these

I will be also picking up a multitool ( leatherman ) and an axe. Have been pricing a katana also

This day next month when the wages come in I will be going to finally buy all the parts to put together my solar system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

That's a good start ghogie but I wouldn't bother with the katana unless you're worried about a ninjapocalypse! They're completely illegal in this country for starters. Get yourself a decent dog instead and make sure it's well trained, best burglar alarm ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

ghogie91 wrote: »
    In a couple of hours I am going to get my garden basically

wooden growing boxes with loads of vegtables planted and picking up a green house from BNQ to store these

I will be also picking up a multitool ( leatherman ) and an axe. Have been pricing a katana also

This day next month when the wages come in I will be going to finally buy all the parts to put together my solar system
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    That's a good start ghogie but I wouldn't bother with the katana unless you're worried about a ninjapocalypse! They're completely illegal in this country for starters. Get yourself a decent dog instead and make sure it's well trained, best burglar alarm ever.

Have to agree with Doc Ruby A Katana is illegal and not only that its too long for close quarters like inside your house you cant swing it as you walk through a door so not much point. A well trained dog is great and cant be beaten

Stocked some more coal, wood and briquets. Buying about 30e/week and they're piling up quite well. Not the greatest prices due to the smaller amounts but handy to spread the cost.

Took a step closer to achieving the dream of acquiring my bolt-hole. Visited the 5 acre plot, shook hands with the current owner, agreed in principal and we're now engaging legal eagles to do whatever it is they do! Took a few pics as well, haven't got a good phone though so they're not great quality. You can see the creek (watercourse), it needs to be cleared a bit to improve efficiency. One pic is of a massive buck hoof print who roams the land. We stumbled across a chaotic sight of torn, smashed branches and judging by the erratic sign on the forest floor it looks like said buck may well have been teaching a young pretender a lesson in dominance. Plenty of badger, rabbit and hare sign too. Also, Chaz the worlds boldest horse is allowed graze on the foreground. He tried intimidating us by charging us but he underestimated my two sons who were just as eager and charged him back. The affair was settled by feeding him clumps of grass...and then he bit my wife's thumb before legging it again. You'll understand I've tried to maintain a modicum of opsec by not revealing too much of the surrounding area.

• Advertisement

The scene of the buck scrap and chaz the horse, plus other bits!

Sorry, this is damage caused by the bucks milly up!

Well its that time if the year again.... Got a van load of dry timber last week, fired up the chain saw yesterday evening and now have a nice pile in the garage for when we decide to light the fire. Shoul havr another van load or two over the next week too so happy days!

Nice. What was the damage for that? (or do you have land?)

FOC my friend! Scrap timber that was destend for a skip, loads of old roofing joists and pallets.... Filled the van and there is a couple of weeks worth of good burning there already! Would be a shame to waist it

Nice. Very nice. Living the dream. :) My wife knows I have a thing for getting a decent wood supply built up. There's a fuel depot that we pass quite a bit and they have a huge log pile out the front that's been seasoning since last year. I keep threatening to buy the whole thing. :D

(I also keep threatening to buy a stove. God I'd love a stove.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 miggs

Made sloe gin today (No point surviving SHTF if you can't enjoy it).

Found a really good spot for mushrooms yesterday, identified some of them and ate them. Photos below. It's good to know in advance spots like this.

Also dragged some seaweed up from the beach to cover my raised beds and planted some jeruselam artichokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Insulating door of food storage area. They are last weeks but I started on another door should have that finished tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Just got a couple of items arrive from Amazon, a little Samsung E1190 SIM free phone as an emergency spare for the car (like and idiot I forgot to get a car charger for it but its capable of 600hrs on standby and it won't even be left on) and to make the order value up to £25 I bought a pack of 4 sporks (Light My Fire), one each for the bob's.

I thought the cheapest sporks I could find http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013L2FGW/ were a bit expensive but the quality is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Took a step closer to achieving the dream of acquiring my bolt-hole.

Congrats on land acquisition, looking at pictures it looks a lot like the type of land I bought.

I have similar plans to yourself, cabin (check out tinyhouse website) and a garden.

Basically a place to spend time during the summer and a few weekends over the year.

My place also has a stream for fresh water and I intend putting in a composting toilet system.

It gets enough wind that I should be able to install one of my home made wind turbines to charge a few batteries for light.

The best part is its fairly isolated yet within hiking distance of a village shop and walking distance to neighbours.

Congrats again on purchase.

Bauraglanna9.jpg

Bauaraglann8.jpg

Bauraglanna.JPG

Advertisement