Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday - Friday windstorms & snow - REPORTS AND CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Longest and most violent shower of the day just passed. But as harps said seen it worse on quite a few occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Been snowing on and off all morning here but not settling outside of along ditch walls, the roadside and the sides of buildings.

Also had a heavy graupel shower in the past hour.

VIDEO
    A heavy graupel (also called soft hail or snow pellets; METAR code: GS) shower in West Clare on Tuesday, 13 December 2011. Winds gusting to 70kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

seamus wrote: »
    "Snowing" is pushing it a bit :)

It's sleet with a few heavy snowflakes thrown in. :)

There were lots of big flakes outside my window anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

bloody hell, here it comes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

heavy snow just swept through Dublin 8. a few heavy showers today, not sticking but heavy falls of snow nonetheless. Amazing how much colder winters in Ireland are getting. Doesnt even come as a shock anymore when it snows in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Yup, we've come to expect it. I'm wrapping up hella warm, in my snow boots soon to venture to the shops. wish me luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Last week a wind turbine in Scotland.
    This week a bird house in Mayo.

Where will it end!!

Wind has picked up here but nothing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Very bad here at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Same here, gotten a lot stormier in the past hour with near constant precipitation, pretty much a mix of everything, rain, hail, sleet, snow & graupel at various intervals!

Currently heavy hail with some snowflakes mixed in, unfortunately I've now got a 15 minute walk ahead of me which won't be much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just came across this on twitter

@daraobriain
    Rare snow-fall in Dalkey. Locals kids are so confused they're chopping it up with their credit cards. #sneachta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sky News still showing storm for Thursday crossing over the South of Ireland:eek: Looks nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dmaprelude wrote: »
    grrrrrrrr why wont it stick!

too warm ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

6.0C here is Cork, but the dew point is at -0.3C, so any showers should at least have some sleet in them. Wind is sounding much stronger the last hour or 2 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some gusty wind but otherwise little to report, blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    6.0C here is Cork, but the dew point is at -0.3C, so any showers should at least have some sleet in them. Wind is sounding much stronger the last hour or 2 as well.

Wind has gotten really strong alright! It's whistling through the doors here in work:D

Sorry, I'm in Cork City not the North Pole!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Can people put up where they are please? Saying "Jaysus its terrible here" means jack-all without a location.
    I'm in Dublin City Centre and apart from a few flakes on way to work at 8.50am there's been nothing except some gusty winds. Hardly snowmageddon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Brain storming, I am in Dublin city centre and there have been a number of heavy snow showers and another one about 20 minutes ago. I am around Kilmainham area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ongoing snow showers here in increasingly gusty winds - sticking above about 700ft

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

74 knt gust at Malin and still goin strong.

So thats the "there won't be any gusts higher than 70 kts" claim busted. :)

Was surprised at the amount of snow reports, wasn't expecting it to be that widespread.

DUBLIN AIRPORT SW 27 Gust 50 RECENT SNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Intermittent snowy/sleety showers in Glasnevin for much of the day. Most recently around 30mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

dmaprelude wrote: »
    Belting down again in Ballymount :)

I was walking in that..I'm still thawing out, ferocious wind behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Can people put up where they are please? Saying "Jaysus its terrible here" means jack-all without a location.
    I'm in Dublin City Centre and apart from a few flakes on way to work at 8.50am there's been nothing except some gusty winds. Hardly snowmageddon!

I have seen a number of showers in Dublin CC, Dublin 2. Right up to lunch time.

Not sure I would classify Kilmainham as City Centre slasher....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dmaprelude

too warm ? ;)

Fix it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Noopti wrote: »
    I have seen a number of showers in Dublin CC, Dublin 2. Right up to lunch time.

Not sure I would classify Kilmainham as City Centre slasher....

I'm overlooking Stephen's Green so i'm pretty central, and there aint no snow here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Heavy Showers of rain/sleet/hail are alot more frequent now and violent gusts here in Ballina, North Mayo. Was out in it earlier and it wasnt that windy put its really picked up now..ME 3 hour forecast is showing alot of crap coming this way..

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Took a spin up the Military Rd./Sally Gap (Wicklow) and although there was some snow, I expected more given the reports along the east coast of snow at much lower levels this morning.

Both of these were taken at approx. 400m asl. Click on the second photo for a video (poor quality)
    photo212.jpg

th_IMG_1089.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

SLP reported 945 mbs at South Uist (Scotland) and enough wind there to suggest actual centre is located to their northwest by about 50 nm, probably about 942 mbs ... so this has turned out to be one of the deeper Atlantic storms of recent years.

Plenty of local variation with this storm, it's almost like everyone got their own personal storm or non-event as the case may be. I expect the worst of the conditions to let up soon in the north, but it will continue to be very hit or miss across most other regions just depending on how the sea effect streamers or clusters navigate their way through the terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

leahyl wrote: »
    Wind has gotten really strong alright! It's whistling through the doors here in work:D

Sorry, I'm in Cork City not the North Pole!

So the South Pole really! Better for snow there anyway :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm in ballincollig in cork and its about 4 degrees,very windy,partly sunny and bits of rain every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Some serious winds here at the moment.

Advertisement