Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

a few people tried to contact Blanchardstown Station and there was no reply to the call.
    :eek: That is scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

daymobrew wrote: »
    :eek: That is scary!

Have been told by the Gardai to ring 999 rather than the station for anything sinister, the call will be dealt with faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

There was an incident couple of weeks back outside Hartstown Community School. As the kids were coming out through the main gate, a <SNIP> kid jumped out of a car brandishing a knife followed by his father with a hatchet. They chased after one of the pupils who i believe is <SNIP> and 17 years old. Guards were called and are investigating. From what i've heard the <SNIP> kid brandishing the knife who was also a student of the school has been expelled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont see the need to add in ethnicity, it's not like it makes any difference to the incident you're reporting, could just as easily be white Irish thugs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I saw a few snips hanging around looking menancing on Sunday in coolmine woods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is like the Little Britain sketch over again.

If someone is a witness or is asked to give information they havr, or be vigilant for persons in particular, their ethnicity is absolutely central to it. People of all colour commit crime, not being able to narrow down a genuine description by race, in case of racist overtones, is political correctness gone stark staring bonkers, and i weep for how insecure society has become.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Larbre34 wrote: »

If someone is a witness or is asked to give information they havr, or be vigilant for persons in particular, their ethnicity is absolutely central to it. People of all colour commit crime, not being able to narrow down a genuine description by race, in case of racist overtones, is political correctness gone stark staring bonkers, and i weep for how insecure society has become.

If a group of people had gotten out of a car and started attacking people at random then yes, absolutely, the general public would need a proper description of them so they can be vigilant. In this case though it seems, while unpleasant, there is no actual risk to the general public, as the people involved seem to be known to each other and it appears to be an isolated incident. In which case I would question the need for that particular incident to be in this thread at all. But then we go back to the conversation about what actually constitutes Neighbourhood Watch and what is just gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Come on now, it's not that at all.
    It isnt like this is a court of law, or someone giving a statement to the gardai. In either of those cases, yes, ethnicity is absolutley required to help definitively identify a suspect. On this thread though where someone is reporting an incident they heard about (probably heard second or third hand) it is pointless.

This is not political correctness. The constant inclusion of ethnicity or skin colour in reports of crime or anti-social behaviour by anyone other than white-Irish is a form of racism, albeit a passive one. How often do you hear a report that a 'white youth' commited a crime? It doesn't happen. Yet, if someone coloured commits a crime, their colour is noted in all reports. Similarly this happens with people from other ethnic backgrounds too.

I'd also like to point out that in most of our local schools at this point the vast majority of kids were born in and have grown up in this country. Their parents may be from overseas, but these kids are Irish. Referring to them as Roma or Nigerian is more than likely factually incorrect as well as pointless.

This subject has come up before on this thread and elsewhere. I will continue to snip out unnecessary racial labelling where it is appropriate. If you disagree with this, take it up with an admin or one of my co-mods, not on thread please. I feel strongly about this but I wont claim infallibility!

Back on topic now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Sad to say but vigilante groups are probably needed at this rate. I cant fathom how none of these scumbags trying to grab kids have been caught.

• Advertisement

@shemale, Boards.ie does not condone anyone taking the law into their own hands, so suggesting vigilantism is not on.
    Please keep on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

More break-ins near Stockton castleknock, garda advise be on lookout for blue pun to.(during daylight).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Also someone has camera image of a break in but has been told it cannot be used. Does anyone know what the legal position is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

horse7 wrote: »
    Also someone has camera image of a break in but has been told it cannot be used. Does anyone know what the legal position is?

I believe a person who owns a camera on their premises etc, can post the output, be it video or images on to their own personal FB or Youtube channel if they wish. All of the property is their own.

If I took a photo or recorded a video for example on Grafton street, I can post that content up without issue on my personal social media.
    What I cannot say is 'Here is the person who robbed my house' - that's a no no. People use clever use of language such as 'this person can help with information' etc.

I'm not a legal person but recording your own premises is no different than taking a photo in public - just don't accuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I heard a house in Hazel Lawn was broken into last week too, suspicious white transit seen a few times in the area beforehand.

We are experiencing increased fly tipping in Waterville. It used to be in car park bays outside the clusters but last night before 11pm a car drove in to our cluster, opened the car door and threw out about six bin bags, a bucket of crap and a huge crate of God knows what in the middle of the road. No proper witnesses, just some of the neighbours piecing things together/spotted from a balcony etc. Because it's private property the council won't do anything, it's really disgusting and sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

athtrasna wrote: »
    We are experiencing increased fly tipping in Waterville. It used to be in car park bays outside the clusters but last night before 11pm a car drove in to our cluster, opened the car door and threw out about six bin bags, a bucket of crap and a huge crate of God knows what in the middle of the road. No proper witnesses, just some of the neighbours piecing things together/spotted from a balcony etc. Because it's private property the council won't do anything, it's really disgusting and sickening.
    This is very much an issue for your Mangement Company and their agents.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    This is very much an issue for your Mangement Company and their agents.

I'm a director of the management company ;) Caretaker went through it, no identifying items. So this illegal activity is something we have to put up with, I was just warning people to be vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm a director of the management company ;) Caretaker went through it, no identifying items. So this illegal activity is something we have to put up with, I was just warning people to be vigilant.

Take the reg's and deal with it yourselves. You do not have to accept it.

Fly tipping around that general area is a disgrace at the moment. The strip of trees that separates Corduff from the Snugborough Road is constantly being treated for rat infestations and it's because there are people dumping their entire week's rubbish in the bushes there. There are a couple of spots in particular where there is an ever present pile of bags. The council come around regularly and remove them but the very next day there are more in the exact same spot. I know they do what they can but it's obvious they need to do more.

• Advertisement

Take the reg's and deal with it yourselves. You do not have to accept it.

That would be the ideal way of tracking them if someone had got the registration. Residents have been warned to keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I jog around Dublin 15 and see this more and more recently.
    Especially up the Snugborough road , Damastown Road and the old Navan road leaving Mulhuddart heading towards Damastown.

Also the Link road between the N2 and N3 can be bad from time to time especially those area where at the roundabouts there is no road and just a space for future roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I jog around Dublin 15 and see this more and more recently.
    Especially up the Snugborough road , Damastown Road and the old Navan road leaving Mulhuddart heading towards Damastown.

Also the Link road between the N2 and N3 can be bad from time to time especially those area where at the roundabouts there is no road and just a space for future roads.

The whole area's a disgrace. The park at Castlecurragh is destroyed as well. A lot of selfish, inconsiderate people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can't really create a new thread as I cannot be 100% sure. But am pretty positive Lidl Blakestown just got robbed tonight.

Tried to walk into it at 8.40pm and the doors were closed. The staff, security guard and a few customers were inside (no one shopping, they were just standing around waiting) and it looked like a plain clothes detective questioning a customer and taking notes.

Same thing happened before when Lidl got robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ciaran76 wrote: »

I run around there myself. Early one Sunday morning a few months back I came across a van parked at one of the roundabouts and assumed they were dumping. I peered over the fence and saw a guy in full camo gear with an elaborate set of traps set up, obviously hunting.

And only during the week I found a black bag dumped at the side of my house. It was pretty much all recyclable anyway and apart from one or two things it was separated from other waste. And what packaging was there was expensive stuff like certain coffee capsules, fillet steaks, bottled water, that type of stuff. I've no idea what goes through some assholes minds.

I also saw some bloke relocate a dumped arm chair to the bonnet of the car in the parking space where said armchair was previously located for weeks until it was dumped at the end of the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Car window passenger side fully smashed this evening.
    Parked for 2 hours on the main road in Coolmine Business park, in front of the Post Office.

Nothing left in the car...behind the fact that I hate those nasty people...I would have love it to se their face when they opened the car to see nothing valuable inside ! Idiots, they can't even do a theft properly...only wasting me time now to repair the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Am I correct in saying there is a methadone treatment clinic there in the Coolmine business park?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

No, it's close behide vernoa club and fingal council office on that side.

glossy wrote: »
    No, it's close behide vernoa club and fingal council office on that side.

Is that what that place is? In the old house where the chickens are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Yes.

Advertisement