Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Just see that a recent attack on a woman in Carpenterstown is being featured on Crimecall tonight.

You will catch it on Plus 1 in the next few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Weird one. Cycling along Castleknock Ave tonight and a guy suddenly came running out of a driveway (came from behind a hedge) screaming at me waving his hands, thought he was trying to knock me off my bike. I managed to swerve away and speed up. As I was getting away he I could hear him laughing and shouting "ya stupid c---t!". Anyway I stopped then and saw him jump in a truck and it drove off. I decided to follow and keep my distance, as he seemed like a bit of a psycho, I think there was a driver with him, and I wanted to get home on time and cook dinner. Turns out its a solid fuel delivery service, coal etc. I called into one house they had stopped at to ask about the delivery guy, but person who answered said they were just a child Minder, but thought he was a sole trader, not a company. The truck seemed to stoping in a few houses, roads like cknock laurels etc - anyone know these guys. got the reg but couldn't see a logo.

I guess no "serious" harm meant but it's still annoying having to deal with that stuff. So stay vigilant cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I know I might get abuse for this, but, if it had of been me in that situation I would have bounced the bike off him.

Everyone to their own and a laugh and all, but when you start to interfere with people who are minding their own business, a bang of a bike might be the only thing that they'll understand, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My partner's car in Ongar was broken into last night with window smashed. There was nothing of value inside and nothing taken so unsure whether they were trying to steal the car itself or just mindless vandalism. My neighbour had said a week ago that they spotted someone at the car that night as well but when she turned on her light and opened curtains, they legged it.

I can't help thinking the culprit is a resident of the area who was targetting it as I wonder do non residents really enter estates over a number of nights just to smash car windows? We're a bit disturbed by this now as who's to say they won't do it again in the near future.

I previously had a wing mirror and indicator rear light stolen on seperate occasions. I think these scumbags target parts rather than the car itself. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

ongarboy wrote: »
    My partner's car in Ongar was broken into last night with window smashed. There was nothing of value inside and nothing taken so unsure whether they were trying to steal the car itself or just mindless vandalism. My neighbour had said a week ago that they spotted someone at the car that night as well but when she turned on her light and opened curtains, they legged it.

I can't help thinking the culprit is a resident of the area who was targetting it as I wonder do non residents really enter estates over a number of nights just to smash car windows? We're a bit disturbed by this now as who's to say they won't do it again in the near future.

I previously had a wing mirror and indicator rear light stolen on seperate occasions. I think these scumbags target parts rather than the car itself. :mad:

Sorry to hear that. I too have had plenty of car vandalism in Ongar. A brick was once thrown through my back windscreen and it seemed to be just mindless vandalism because nothing was taken from the car. Might be no harm to get a good steering lock, if you haven't got one already. I'm sure there are ways for them to get them off if they want to, but it might be a deterrent against stealing it. Hard to rationalise what angle these people are coming from....all the instances of vandalism to my car and to my partner's (about 6 in total over the years) all seemed to be opportunistic, 'well-I-can-vandalise-it-so-why-wouldn't-I' types of incidents. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is there any sort of actual neighbourhood watch or community alert in Ongar?

There isnt much money in small parts, but watch out for exhausts going missing, especially on vans and the like. There was a spate of them in Littlepace about a year back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Is there any sort of actual neighbourhood watch or community alert in Ongar?

There isnt much money in small parts, but watch out for exhausts going missing, especially on vans and the like. There was a spate of them in Littlepace about a year back

From what I was told it was the catalytic converters they were after, scrap value of the platinum, palladium and rhodium they contain, mainly in larger cars/jeeps/vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

ongarboy wrote: »
    I can't help thinking the culprit is a resident of the area who was targetting it

Sorry to hear about that...
    You hit the nail on the head though, it's either people living near by or people transiting through. Usually the former, in my own experience (look on Youtube for "franksm2001 Ongar" and you'll see what the people across the street from me were up to. Until one got caught, but one kept at it for a long time after that. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=franksm2001+ongar

In my experience, they will break into the car for loose change, a football on the back seat, a plastic bag that may or may not something in it, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭peteypop

My wifes car was broken into in waterville,checked the boot by opening the back seats.Nothing taken but half gone pack of cigarettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

We all see the spurious cases that are never reported but this one is very real.

https://twitter.com/cllrmcguinness/status/535751318624038912

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Same happened to a student (male) in Ladyswell NS the same day. He was chased by a silver car (that's all the info I have) and ended up having to jump the railings in the school to get away from them. He would be around 11. The principal of Ladyswell NS was in contact with the Garda as well as the boys mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

OK, sort of a strange one, but I feel kind of creeped out by this, and wondering if anyone's seen/had the same.

A couple of months ago I was walking home through Rushbrook in Dublin 15, from the blanchardstown shopping center. It's right beside the village. Anyway, this lady was on the other side of the road, but she crossed the road and came up to me. I didn't know her, never seen her before in my life, but she nodded at my bags and asked 'where are you coming from?'. Now, there are often people out and about around Blanch, and I'll often say hello or pass comment with people, so I smiled, and said 'the shopping centre, busy'. She then starting saying 'what are you playing at? what game are you playing?', asking repeatedly where I was coming from. She said it in a really nasty kind of way. I didn't know what to say, so I started to walk on. She continued berating me, asking me what I was doing here, before finishing with a 'I'm sick of the sight of you!'.

So I found that all a bit, well, distressing. She was an Irish woman, middle aged, grey shoulder length hair, glasses. She could be anyone's mammy really. But I wrote it off that she was just not well and having not seen her again I forgot about it.

But today, I was coming out of the back of SuperValu and I saw a woman, middle aged, some way down the street. I turned as I do to walk toward the park. And then I heard from behind me, 'I thought I told you not to come here!'. I quickened my pace without looking back.

Is there some 'odd' woman around Rushbrook who does this? It'd be nice to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this, and I don't have some crazy stalker after me :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sounds like she is not well.

Case of mistaken identity maybe?

January wrote: »
    Case of mistaken identity maybe?

I've considered that, but I honestly don't know. It's very strange. I mean she saw me up close, she crossed the road to speak to me the first time. I think to be that mistaken, if someone has their wits about them, is unlikely.

A case of picking up someone else's baggage is a possibility I'm less enamored by than the possibility that she's just not well :/

Maybe I should just be avoiding that area, I don't know. I'd hate to run into her when I had baby nephews with me.

If you run into her again just say, I think you have the wrong person, I do not know you and continue about your business ignoring her.

Don't avoid the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

LookingFor wrote: »
    OK, sort of a strange one, b

Is she a xenophobic nutjob? I.E are you a non-Irish national?

OK, sort of a strange one,

She sounds like a very odd person. I would advise caution - don't engage with this person in any way.

January wrote: »
    If you run into her again just say, I think you have the wrong person, I do not know you and continue about your business ignoring her.

Don't avoid the area.

Yeah, out of principle if nothing else I feel I shouldn't avoid the area. But still...
    Is she a xenophobic nutjob? I.E are you a non-Irish national?

No.
    She sounds like a very odd person. I would advise caution - don't engage with this person in any way.

I'll certainly try to avoid engaging her. A part of me wants to try to reason with her - or at least tell her she must have me mistaken for someone else ala January's post above - but I think if she was shouting at me from down the street like today I probably wouldn't approach her or shout back down the street at her :/

Anyway, I'll leave my story out there in case anyone in Rushbrook has anything to share about her. Thanks all for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

OK, sort of a strange one..

this is really odd kinda scary! I lived around there for the last 20ish years, and her description doesn't ring a bell.. Never encountered her.. I'd be interested to hear an update if and when anyone has one. maybe mistaken identity is right?

I just saw Cabra had a spate of Robberies over the past 5 days. I know its not Dublin 15 but these spates normally co-inside. All houses broken in through the front door. Again highly organized knew who was in the house and when to hit it.

I just saw Cabra had a spate of Robberies over the past 5 days. I know its not Dublin 15 but these spates normally co-inside. All houses broken in through the front door. Again highly organized knew who was in the house and when to hit it.

I heard of 3 people in the D7 area (closer to D15 than Cabra) were broken in to about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Do you know what part of Cabra?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

I just saw Cabra had a spate of Robberies over the past 5 days. I know its not Dublin 15 but these spates normally co-inside. All houses broken in through the front door. Again highly organized knew who was in the house and when to hit it.[/Q

Did they kick in doors or was it snapped/broken locks?

A friend of mine had there house broken into last week not far from the Halfway house pub, came in through the back door, and later the pub had staff belongings robbed.

Scumbags getting money for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Shiranui

Any idea what these scumbags usually go for when robbing a house?

I mean if someone gets into my living room the best bet would be telly on the wall which they would have to struggle to unhinge. Would they even bother? Otherwise old Playstation 2, 5 years old desktop pc, duplo blocks? Kettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Shiranui wrote: »

I mean if someone gets into my living room the best bet would be telly on the wall which they would have to struggle to unhinge. Would they even bother? Otherwise old Playstation 2, 5 years old desktop pc, duplo blocks? Kettle?

Junkies and anything that can be turned into cash is a target as long as it portable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Shiranui wrote: »

I was burgled in January, and they took a lot of small items, and stuff you wouldn't believe. They took ipods, a camera, two or three jackets belonging to himself (one a big parka with loads of pockets, and a couple of small light Counter Propaganda ones) They also stole a gift bag containing a makeup set which I'd been given for my birthday a couple of days before, my reading glasses which were in their case on the couch, a playstation which was several years old, a little portable charging unit for ipods/phones (the type of thing you bring to festivals to charge your phone with, worth fcuk all really) They took the keys for both cars and nicked them, everything else just appeared to be whatever they could stuff in their pockets in a couple of minutes. I mean, I get the camera and ipad, but my reading glasses? And a Clinique set with mini moisturisers and mascara?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

Our neighbours apartment was broken into few years ago and they took toiletries ( shower gels, shampoo, make up, perfumes) they even took off their linen and towels abd even took their bed sheet off the bed. Weird really, I always thought that they only take expensive things that can be valuable, but even shower gels seem to be important for them to take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe they were 4 sheets to the wind. Did they make a clean getaway?

Who knows what goes through their minds. I know of someone who's car was stolen, then they left a laptop, but took crayons and a drawing paper from a briefcase. Probably kids.

Advertisement