Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MyNebulosity

Multiple houses burgled in Clonsilla/Ongar/Blanchardstown.

They broke in by unscrewing the window by the back garden (I'm not sure exactly how but the window handle was taken off) and apparently that's been the pattern with the recent burglaries. They're looking for gold and money and no electronics were taken, so it seems.
    On the 26th a young (17 year old?) boy started violently ringing my doorbell I didn't open the door but the boy said he was selling holly wreaths...
    We always get people at the door for very badly thought out lies when the car isn't there so take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

I don't have any gold or cash in my house but don't fancy being burgled...would it be a good idea to get a sticker made up for the kitchen window informing scum of same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

fletch wrote: »
    I don't have any gold or cash in my house but don't fancy being burgled...would it be a good idea to get a sticker made up for the kitchen window informing scum of same?

"Ah lads, this house says it's no valuables in it, let's check the next house instead so" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Nah...better off with something like "Both my Rottweilers have gold collars. Good luck!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

My tips for anyone out there worried about being burgled would be the following;

1- if you have a dog leave him/her inside the house at night.. Reason being you dog will bark and most lads going to break into a house will not go in if there is a dog there
    2- if you like me have a garden shed, screw one or two screws into the door permanently closing it(yeah this is a pain in the as@ if you use your shed a lot but these lads go out with bolt cutters most times but wouldn't be expecting the she's to be screwed closed.
    3- simple double check all your locks have not already been tampered with.
    4- if you (like me) have an extension make sure your window above it is locked always.. This is one if the easiest accessible entries to the house even though bit in the ground floor.
    5- if your not friends with your neighbours then make friends for safety reasons, how hard is it for people to keep an eye out for each others house for random people calling in?
    6- if you see someone on your road you don't know then go out and just pretend your putting something in your car, anything to let them know you see them,
    7- if you don't do that a call to your local garda station and tell them what's happening, calling 999 does not necessarily always get the quickest response!
    8- if you have been burgled tell your neighbours... It may get them to double check an open door which they thought was locked all along and prevent them being burgled.
    9- if your not going to be at home for more than a day at a time either go out and buy a timer for your lights in argos/woodies or get your neighbour to drop in and flick on the lights for the night.
    10- car keys.. If you think someone night be breaking in to get your car you have two options a) leave the keys out clearly visible down stairs away from you and the family, or b) leave them up stairs with you if you are willing to confront whoever has come into your house.
    11- money.. Just don't have any money in big amounts in the house, in this day and age there is no need for large amounts of money in the house.
    12- last but by no means least call into your mam/dad/granny/grandad/elderly neighbour and tell them all of the above or even parts of it, if they can't do these things for themselves then do it for them!!

Ehhmm I can't think of more right now.

I hope any or all if this will help even one person in here have a safer stress free night/nights.

Burglaries happen everywhere in all kind of of demographic areas from foxrock to coolock to dalkey and donnybrook to Blanchardstown and Ongar.

A burglar does not care who's house he/she is going into the are going in generally for cash/gold/jewellery small electric goods iPhones/iPods/iPads/laptops they will spend only about 10/20 minutes in a house and be gone that is why when you see someone strange you need to do something about it rather than sitting back down thinking to yourself while sipping the tea I wonder who that chap is. (We have all done it)

Happy Christmas

Edit: A lot of break ins are not actually "break ins" Peoplle in generaly (You and I) get into a routene of locking doors, some times you may go to bed forgetting one door one window but getting into bed you think ah nah I definitely locked that door, this is when thet "locked" door will be the cause of your "break in" It will take you 10 seconds to run back down stairs and check your "locked" door

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just heard from a friend that Scoil Oilibhéir and the primary school in Mount View were both broken into last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

6- if you see someone on your road you don't know then go out and just pretend your putting something in your car, anything to let them know you see them,
    7- if you don't do that a call to your local garda station and tell them what's happening, calling 999 does not necessarily always get the quickest response!

Great post, but calling the Gardai every time you see someone you don't know isn't really practical or sensible for most people in an urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

athtrasna wrote: »
    Just heard from a friend that Scoil Oilibhéir and the primary school in Mount View were both broken into last night.

Ah FFS what manner of scum bag breaks into a primary school :mad: There was windows broken in Scoil Oilibhéir earlier this term too, my 5yo was quite upset at the idea of 'bad guys' at the school. There's enough strain on schools to stretch their budgets without repair costs and increased insurance premiums from this sort of behaviour, ultimately its the kids who lose out and the families are then looked to for help fundraising and making contributions to the school.

Even if there's some way the Gardaí can find out who this was, soft Courts and revolving prison doors are no sort of deterrent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The schools are a soft target as they are in off the main roads, sure last Easter Scoile Mhuire had a large amount of lead stripped of the roof of one of the buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

KGLady wrote: »
    Ah FFS what manner of scum bag breaks into a primary school :mad: There was windows broken in Scoil Oilibhéir earlier this term too, my 5yo was quite upset at the idea of 'bad guys' at the school. There's enough strain on schools to stretch their budgets without repair costs and increased insurance premiums from this sort of behaviour, ultimately its the kids who lose out and the families are then looked to for help fundraising and making contributions to the school.

Even if there's some way the Gardaí can find out who this was, soft Courts and revolving prison doors are no sort of deterrent :(

It's actually the 5th time Scoil Oilibhéir has been broken into since July. Absolute scumbags. Don't think they got anything, and kindly gave 2 fingers to the security cameras so they now have pics. Hope the culprits are caught.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

KGLady wrote: »
    Ah FFS what manner of scum bag breaks into a primary school :mad:

Nothing new I'm afraid, my primary school was broken into all the time and vandalised, and fires started on many occasions. It looked like a prison before I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

St Patricks, Corduff had many, many laptops stolen not too long ago and the person suspected is a serial robber (not not an addict).

Criminals were never ordinary, nor decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Great post, but calling the Gardai every time you see someone you don't know isn't really practical or sensible for most people in an urban area.
    Why is it not sensible?
    The Gardai promote the Neighbourhood Watch scheme but aren't get supporting one when it is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

daymobrew wrote: »
    Why is it not sensible?
    The Gardai promote the Neighbourhood Watch scheme but aren't get supporting one when it is up and running.

It's daft unless even if you live in a secluded cul de sac in the middle of an estate. It's one thing to make a note of the time and the description of the person but other then that, seriously ring them every time?

Some people live in places with a certain amount of footfall, esp if you are on a route to the shopping centre, if I was to ring the garda every time I saw someone I don't know from my sitting room window, I'd get nothing else done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

daymobrew wrote: »
    Why is it not sensible?

I live at the entrance to an estate with 100 houses, and I've lived in the same estate all my life. I recognise about half the people who walk past my house, do you really think it is sensible for me to phone the police every single time I don't recognise someone? I'd be considered a nuisance and a time-waster to the Gards within a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

ok for 6&7 just to stop the confusion.. maybe I should have added people hanging around instead of just walking through/past your road. . . :rolleyes: .....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just moved from clonsilla to a nice, quiet, secluded gated estate in clonee and thought that i'd be away from this kind of thing now, but the dog was making a funny noise outside on new years eve and when my wife pulled aside the blind to see what she was making a noise about, she saw torchlight in the back garden.

i guess seeing her looking out at them must have scared them off as there was nobody to be seen anywhere when i went out to take a look.

there's already cameras up in the estate and you really wouldn't expect it where we are, but i guess it's everywhere.

the answer is that i've just (finally after months of talking about it) bought myself 4 of these: http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi9821w-megapixel-wireless-ip-camera-105.html

they have a discount on t the moment to give you 10% off if you use the code "NEWYEAR", if anyone is interested.

they're not officially an outdoor camera, but i have a friend who uses them outdoors and they work fine as long as they're not directly exposed to the elements.

my plan is to have one in each corner of the house under the eaves with a small section of white drain pipe fixed around them that will cover the camera housing to just above the level of the lens, at around this level:

234973.jpg

it should be enough to give them a bit more protection from the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

Itinerents going around castleknock at the minute, they say they are collecting for the hanley centre. i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ask them for ID and ask if they mind you taking a picture of them holding it up for the camera and see what they say. :pac:

Have mailed the hanley centre,will be interesting to see the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

horse7 wrote: »
    Itinerents going around castleknock at the minute, they say they are collecting for the hanley centre. i doubt it.

Jesus is it 1954 again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Omackeral wrote: »
    Jesus is it 1954 again?

Problem?

Just heard another lock snap in laurel lodge before christmas,took car keys and vauables. UPGRADE your locks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Just had one of the top spec apeer doors installed before Christmas. Very proud of its features including lock.

Then one of my mates said "sure they'll just come in thru your window" :D

You can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

vibe666 wrote: »
    just moved from clonsilla to a nice, quiet, secluded gated estate in clonee and thought that i'd be away from this kind of thing now, .....

Hi,Vibe
    Welcome to Clonee...moving again ! :)

To be honest,that type of system will do nothing good for them or for you.
    I have had it in place for years,"catched" few guys doing my neighbour car,i saw shades,black shadows on the street.I numbered 3 of them ! Any help !??
    Is great to see kids destroying car,flowers,grass or simillar alright!

What i'm working on now,after last week visit in the back garden is a comprehensive detterent system:
    -PIR external sensors,linked to in house PLC with sensors reading,internal beeper.Located at every side of the house in pair of two and with a flashing red LED to indicate their operation and presence.
    -PIR external flood lights,no feedback,just activation when close enough to the 3-5 m off the wall
    -PIR external window sensors,mounted so that catch only close to 1-2m off the wall.They are connected and read by PLC and an internal sound ,external beeper and all 4 separate dedicated 150W flood lights going on at same time
    -PIR internal sensors,in each room,above the window frames,ground and floor,connected to PLC and with existing current PIR from the house alarm.

Along with 4 CCTV cameras and 2 IR Illuminator(front and back) that should do it against any one trying to get near the walls,windows,doors.

Last night,at 4am my kids woke me up saying is some move/noise outside...
    So,time to get my electronic/programming out from the storage box,also my savings ! Maybe not paying mortgage for a month !!

I'm i missing something else here !?

Sunday night van broken into,in stockton, valubles taken, house alarm also went off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Just heard another lock snap in laurel lodge before christmas,took car keys and vauables. UPGRADE your locks guys.

Do you know more about it, that's my neck of the woods?

Back door, front door, alarm on/off?

back door,no alarm, no one at home for a few days, in the ELMS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

back door,no alarm, no one at home for a few days, in the ELMS

Crap, just around the corner from me, have an alarm but haven't been there in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

nudger wrote: »
    Crap, just around the corner from me, have an alarm but haven't been there in a few days.

PM me your address :D

Advertisement