Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

We never sponsor anyone that knocks. Don't know them so don't sponsor. I won't even knock into my own neighbours for sponsorship (shaved my head for Irish Cancer Society) kept it to the mycharity site and family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

All quite last night?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@mcriot29 can you make some effort to punctuate your posts so it reads like English please? It's hard to follow what you're trying to say

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭jonathan13

Its my 1st year anniversary being a victim as well..ggrrrr!!!!!! they took all nothing left!

I used to live in phibsboro area and they are my neighbor..same! same! same! thing..typical eastern looking(the usual criminals okay)..now i'm paying house insurance just in case another burglary happens.

Yes, the guards did nothing as well. If i'm only a citizen i'l try to apply and send this a**hole home or i'l try to run for politics then ammend the law. Yeah! just a wishful thinking of mine.:)

I want justice as to what they did to my family, especially the trauma to my little girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Maybe you could explain to us what happened?im sure it was horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

nomesc wrote: »
    We never sponsor anyone that knocks.
    we've a sign on the door saying " do not knock as we dont buy off the street". since it went up i've only had two people knocking. one that didn't read it till after they knocked then they walked away ( they had gone next door when i opened the door and apologized ) , the second was a traveller selling something. when i pointed out the sign they said they couldn't read :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

mcriot29 wrote: »
    we had a traveller girl at door on a school day last week ,i new it was a scam asked to sponsor her for hip hop dancing she was around 12 brother around 15 and kid around 7 i new it was crap,her accent gave it all away also there was more kids with her id bet a van with adults waiting too ,she was looking at doors etc ,she new from the moment i had door open i new she was a scam ,great scam they have they get money for nowt and also case your house out
    i am in Dublin 9 beaumont but ,glenville in coolmine i have cousins etc ,2 weeks ago there neighbours house was broke into 2nd time in a month, they even took floorboards up recked the place owner was in tears,also down the road kids from age 10 to 14 got in trough front door and recked a house took gold etc also they where gypsy kids romaini type guards said they did a few houses that same night ,seems to be danger points are front door back door and back windows ,i have an alarm i am going to get non temper lock fitted to front door its 60e to get fitted,also getting grills on back french door and back door and window that will cost 2 grand a lot of money but worth it as there no way they can get in from back then

Not on topic
    I was in a pub in temple bar during the Ireland V Wales rugby match and a young girl about 10/11 came in looking for sponsors. Her mother was sending her into the pubs looking for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

think your best bet is to simply not answer your door.
    Like if its someone you know or are expecting or WANT to see im sure they have your number. When the door does not open they can call you from their cell. Its allways someone peddling or scoping. ALWAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jobseeker999

A house in Mount Symon burgled on Friday evening 10pm. Nobody home but neighbours clearly in with lights on on both sides. They prised opened a PVC door and main wooden door in seconds which set the alarm off, straight upstairs to bedroom for jewellery boxes and out within 2 minutes i'd say, one of the neighbours saw a black golf DL reg. speed off, such a brazen burglary. These cash for gold shops have to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Stinjy wrote: »
    Was driving out of Auburn Ave towards the road that leads onto the Navan road, and there were at least 6 squad cars and 3 unmarked in the 30 seconds we were passing with more coming and others going, a black car kinda side ways across its lane with its front driver side window smashed, the whole side towards the Navan rd (from the blanch side) was blocked by guards for ages (went and got petrol and came back they were still there )

annnnnnnnyway, my question is does any one know what was happening?!didn't look like a crash so was being nosey and wondering... :)

I saw this too!

Where was the driver???!!!

I dunno but I figure they ran, cos guards went chasing but I'm not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Gold is sooooo 90's.

You won't find any in our house. Now if they turn their attention to costume stuff my wife is fecked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

How do they know where is the gold kept in the house !??

rolion wrote: »
    How do they know where is the gold kept in the house !??
    They don't, but the turn the house upside down looking for it, assuming it is in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

gjc wrote: »
    copied what Alandale did and put up 2 signs into the estate telling vans that no charity bags/stickers where to be delivered into estate.
    I can't believe they actually worked, not one in the door since they went up.

To be fair it was 1 resident you got them done, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Rushenny put up signs as they got advice from allendale and according to people it seems to work .....stickers bags etc don't get delivered ......knock on effect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have a small sign on my outer front door which reads "NO junk mail" and it actually seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

My mates house in Blackwood, ongar was burgaled this evening between 8 amd 9pm. They forced the front door. Alarm was not set. They have cctv so it will be interesting to see what it captured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

RTT wrote: »
    My mates house in Blackwood, ongar was burgaled this evening between 8 amd 9pm. They forced the front door. Alarm was not set. They have cctv so it will be interesting to see what it captured.

I have gone sale agreed on a house in the last week. A mate of mine does house alarms and ccty.

I'm looking in to a camera system whereby I could have two hidden camera's somewhere in the house at head level, strategically in places where a face can be seen front on as opposed to some ridiculous angle such as the top corner of a room.

I'd be very interested to know if the CCTV was external on the house in Blackwood or internal. External is well and good if the person is not concealing themselves.

thanks!

Rushenny put up signs as they got advice from allendale and according to people it seems to work .....stickers bags etc don't get delivered ......knock on effect.

I'm buying in Rusheeney. It seems a decent spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Mad to think there are gangs going around kicking doors and ramsacking houses in broad daylight :eek:

• Advertisement

sorry to hear about your mate.....was it the usual stuff like gold that they took?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I have a small sign on my outer front door which reads "NO junk mail" and it actually seems to work.

I have one too but doesnt seem to work.....probably because if i dont have it translated into all 250 official languages of the EU they can claim they cant read.

My mate said that they went through drawers mainly probably looking for gold. Nothing big taken or electrical goods. They have cctv outside and one in the hall which is hidden. I saw a programme on tv about capture houses in the uk where they set up hidden cameras inside and leave a front window open to attract a burglar. They caught 3or 4 lads with it!
    sorry to hear about your mate.....was it the usual stuff like gold that they took?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Anyone that has a wireless router (which should be about 90% of homes at this stage) should consider investing in one or more of these wireless security cams. Amazon link. They cost less than €60 each at the moment, you set them up and anything that trips the motion detection in front of them six pictures are taken and emailed to you. You can also download a free iPhone app and watch live video from the cameras where ever you are as long as you have wifi or 3G coverage. They are excellent.

RTT, let us know what your mate saw on his cameras, I hope the guards will follow up on his footage.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Anyone that has a wireless router (which should be about 90% of homes at this stage) should consider investing in one or more of these wireless security cams. Amazon link. They cost less than €60 each at the moment, you set them up and anything that trips the motion detection in front of them six pictures are taken and emailed to you. You can also download a free iPhone app and watch live video from the cameras where ever you are as long as you have wifi or 3G coverage. They are excellent.

RTT, let us know what your mate saw on his cameras, I hope the guards will follow up on his footage.

excellent point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Arciphel wrote: »

Here's a better option (IR for low light vision, remote camera panning & cheaper).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Options-Business-Surveillance-Smartphone/dp/B0043QIOO6/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1333533529&sr=1-3

In fairness to the guards they were there within 2 minutes of him ringing. They said they stopped two "gougers" about 30mins earlier for a chat, one in a white hoodie. If these guys end up on camera then the guards know who they are. Waiting to hear back from my mate whether he checked the cctv yet. He had a problem logging into it to check it and was due to call the installer.

That one looks good too, at the end of the day the brand doesn't matter but the main thing is that you have something that you can use to keep an eye out, especially when you are not there. And putting it somewhere where it can be easily seen is good too for the deterrent factor. Let's not make it easy for these f&*kers.

In fairness to the guards they were there within 2 minutes of him ringing. They said they stopped two "gougers" about 30mins earlier for a chat, one in a white hoodie. If these guys end up on camera then the guards know who they are. Waiting to hear back from my mate whether he checked the cctv yet. He had a problem logging into it to check it and was due to call the installer.

The fact they were there quickly is heartening to hear. i hope they catch the lads responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Really hope he gets it sorted and gets a match...

Advertisement