Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't think they're doing it for fun, you can be pretty sure that if there is a garda helicopter flying around above you, it's because they are looking for someone in your immediate area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Philreid

Alaska1 wrote: »
    foots wrote: »
    someone put up the reg of a purple fiesta 99 d .... last week, so i am keeping an eye for that, now a blue van, so why not.

Ok, <reg number snipped>.

The usual, slow around the estates. 3 people in the van.

That fiesta was spotted on our road on Thursday last two fellas getting out and knocking on the doors looking around if there was no answer the neighbour rang the guards they sent a car up. that night the vans in the estate where tampered with two fellas again removing the bull bars and tow bars breaking glass. the guards got one fella who was hiding in the green area. There is also word of a red/wine van and a silver car going around the area been see just before some burglers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I could see the Garda copter over Ongar last night from a short distance away. Its fairly common around here and the main reason is that when skobies do a runner from mischief in the Blanch area, they often come down the Ongar Link Road which of course runs out at Ongar and they end up dumping the car around whichever estate they happen to end up in and the chopper is called in to assist searching in the rabbit warren of houses.

About 2 years ago one of those chases ended up close to our house, it was an otherwise quiet summer evening, must have very quiet as no less than 12 patrol cars were behind these guys when they eventually landed at a dead end in front of our security gates, much to their obvious distress. A bit of Starsky and Hutch ensued through the gardens but they got them in fairly short order. It would have been a good night to steal a patrol car though, the cops poured out of them to give chase on foot and left them all running with lights and sirens on!

Personally I dont mind the Chopper, the very late night visits only happen occasionally, and Id rather know it was available than not

ongarboy wrote: »
    Last night around half past midnight was the worst yet in the Ongar area. I thought a helicopter was going to land on my roof. It was so noisy. I've only found this to be a fairly regular occurrence in the last 12-18 months or so. What is the logic and why does it seem to be a night time (after vast majority are in bed) exercise only? Is it definitely a Garda helicopter?
    As Vibe said above, when they are above you, it is for a valid reason. They have either been requested by Gardaí or are monitoring them Garda radios for serious incidents which may require their assistance (you'll notice you normally hear sirens before you will hear the chopper).

I believe it costs a few thousand per trip in the helicopter.

Also, yes I would assume it is the Garda helicopter, as special permission has to be granted for a helicopter to fly over residential areas at night, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GZ250

I'm glad to see that the Gardaí are out keeping an eye on our area. It doesn't bother me to hear the helicopter out - there must be a valid reason. Keep up the good work

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    If I was a burglar, I'd start by stealing the CCTV. It's hard to see CCTV being a very useful anti-burglar measure.
    its not there to stop them, it's there to discourage them from robbing you in particular and instead going for one of the many other houses they could be robbing without CCTV.

if they have a choice of houses and some are more difficult than others for whatever reason, they will stick to the easy ones. low hanging fruit and all that.

I have CCTV Cameras outside my house, covering the house and garden, plus some of the public spaces outside.

good luck to any burglar looking to steal the DVR, i t took me weeks to find it when we moved in and then it was only after speaking to the landlord and him telling me where it was that i found it, and even then it took 20 minutes to get to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foots

cheers for heads up on vans etc. a neighbour of mine has a camera that looks like a ball stuck on front of his house and no way could you get at it to rob it unless you were spiderman! i might get details off him, gardai told us that they go to the least awkward house, as in the one that has the least security.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Also, yes I would assume it is the Garda helicopter, as special permission has to be granted for a helicopter to fly over residential areas at night, I believe.

They mostly come out at night - mostly.......

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They mostly come out at night - mostly.......
    Yeah because that is most crimes take place...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

I would rather be awoken by a Gardai helicopter and Squad car Siren then let the scobies run wild in the area ! WORK AWAY LADS

• Advertisement

Yeah because that is most crimes take place...
    somebody hasn't seen the movie 'Aliens'. ;)

foots wrote: »
    cheers for heads up on vans etc. a neighbour of mine has a camera that looks like a ball stuck on front of his house and no way could you get at it to rob it unless you were spiderman! i might get details off him, gardai told us that they go to the least awkward house, as in the one that has the least security.
    you can get a 4 channel kit with cameras and a dvr off ebay for less than 300 quid.

all you need is to screw them in up under your eaves in each corner so they're covering every part of your house (and each other), then run the cables into the loft and plug them into the DVR which will record their output according to your specifications.

you'll need a monitor (or a laptop with a usb cable) to watch the output, but you don't really need to unless someone actually commits a crime in their field of vision, so it's minor inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There's already reports of 'council workers' knocking on doors around the country looking for the household tax. So that's likely to happen in D15 shortly enough

There's already reports of 'council workers' knocking on doors around the country looking for the household tax. So that's likely to happen in D15 shortly enough
    and they will be greeted with the same enthusiasm as that of a burglar if they come to my house. :D

edit: looks like it's made the news: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/warning-as-bogus-property-tax-collectors-hit-homes-3063142.html

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

My brother's jeep was broken into yesterday evening in the 12th Lock carpark between 8.30pm and 10pm. Alarm went off.They forced the lock. The glove compartment had been opened but nothing taken. We went in to ask the management to check the cctv.
    When we came back out a green punto with one headlight working sped off. We followed it and it broke 2 sets of traffic lights and headed in the direction of the M50. Lost it then. Called into Blanch garda station to report it. They said cars are being fleeced the whole time from the 12th Lock so Beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Did you get a reg?? did the cctv pick up anything

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

gjc wrote: »
    Did you get a reg?? did the cctv pick up anything

Unfortunately we didn't get a reg. I doubt the guards will check the cctv. The manager on duty last night didn't have access to the cctv recorder apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Garda helicopter out tonight again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Arciphel wrote: »
    Garda helicopter out tonight again...

Bloody thing woke me and now it wont' **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sharrow wrote: »
    Bloody thing woke me and now it wont' **** off.

That's your story and you're sticking to it! :p

• Advertisement

Sounds like its down Clonsilla direction, is it?

Arciphel wrote: »
    Sounds like its down Clonsilla direction, is it?

I'm in Clonsilla and it seems to be over Hartstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Not a soul about, no traffic on the roads at all but that thing seems to be hanging around doing passes and then just hovering, may well be another training excerise, ie just mucking about waking people up. >:(

Sharrow wrote: »
    Not a soul about, no traffic on the roads at all but that thing seems to be hanging around doing passes and then just hovering, may well be another training excerise, ie just mucking about waking people up. >:(

Doubt it, to be honest. I don't think there's much training in hovering over an urban area at night time.

No smoke without fire I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'm in Clonsilla and it seems to be over Hartstown.

looked out the window was over Blanch centre towards westend,

It was a cool enough night last night due to no cloud cover, they might have been out with the infra-red camera looking for houses with unusually high levels of heat in their attics that might indicate a "herbal" growing operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That helicopter on Wednesday night must have been hovering over all of D15 at some stage as it was definitely over Mulhuddart for a while. I felt like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Was driving out of Auburn Ave towards the road that leads onto the Navan road, and there were at least 6 squad cars and 3 unmarked in the 30 seconds we were passing with more coming and others going, a black car kinda side ways across its lane with its front driver side window smashed, the whole side towards the Navan rd (from the blanch side) was blocked by guards for ages (went and got petrol and came back they were still there )

annnnnnnnyway, my question is does any one know what was happening?!didn't look like a crash so was being nosey and wondering... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Stinjy wrote: »
    Was driving out of Auburn Ave towards the road that leads onto the Navan road, and there were at least 6 squad cars and 3 unmarked in the 30 seconds we were passing with more coming and others going, a black car kinda side ways across its lane with its front driver side window smashed, the whole side towards the Navan rd (from the blanch side) was blocked by guards for ages (went and got petrol and came back they were still there )

annnnnnnnyway, my question is does any one know what was happening?!didn't look like a crash so was being nosey and wondering... :)

I saw this too!

Where was the driver???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

we had a traveller girl at door on a school day last week ,i new it was a scam asked to sponsor her for hip hop dancing she was around 12 brother around 15 and kid around 7 i new it was crap,her accent gave it all away also there was more kids with her id bet a van with adults waiting too ,she was looking at doors etc ,she new from the moment i had door open i new she was a scam ,great scam they have they get money for nowt and also case your house out
    i am in Dublin 9 beaumont but ,glenville in coolmine i have cousins etc ,2 weeks ago there neighbours house was broke into 2nd time in a month, they even took floorboards up recked the place owner was in tears,also down the road kids from age 10 to 14 got in trough front door and recked a house took gold etc also they where gypsy kids romaini type guards said they did a few houses that same night ,seems to be danger points are front door back door and back windows ,i have an alarm i am going to get non temper lock fitted to front door its 60e to get fitted,also getting grills on back french door and back door and window that will cost 2 grand a lot of money but worth it as there no way they can get in from back then

Advertisement