Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

zef wrote: »
    That is a good idea for an estate to come together and not tolerate / challenge those bloody bag-collectors.
    I have a no-junk-mail sticker on my door, yet get this crap every 2nd day approx.
    I never give money out at the door, sponsorships, ppl selling stuff... last week a bloke came round selling soft drinks in glass bottles (weekly deliveries) , and he was 'real' (had a van full of his own branded minerals, flyers etc) but i wouldn't do business with doorstep callers , even if i wanted the product.
    Must make a "No cold callers' type sticker to go with me 'no junk mail' one.

You don't know what your missing. seriously. he has flavors there that you dont get in a shop.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foots

sparky28 wrote: »
    Just had the same scammer at my door tonight. Said she was doing a Barnardo's charity run and asked for sponsorship. I stupidally fell for it. As I went inside to get money she stepped into the hall. I new then that this was a scam and told her to leave. She is unbelievably convincing. I feel like a total twat for allowing myself to be suked in. Just be aware of the scam and the fact that she will have the name of your neighbour.

Where are you sparky, how far did she go. i might turn into my mam,and ring fm104 as she told me she was on there today at 12am drumming up support, but seriously how good she was!!

I just called fm104 to make them aware of situation, she is going to see about mentioning it later, needless to say nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

wush06 wrote: »
    I know im not in dublin 15 but just to say neigbours house was done last week.
    They went in the front door took cash and gold only.This happen about 7.30pm.So people keep an eye out and never put your guard down.

Just curious, was the door actually open? Did they actually force the door in broad daylight? Nightlatch? Standard 3 point door lock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2dJyn33-UQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

zef wrote: »
    That is a good idea for an estate to come together and not tolerate / challenge those bloody bag-collectors.
    I have a no-junk-mail sticker on my door, yet get this crap every 2nd day approx.
    The "No Junk Mail" sticker is only honoured by those that are honourable, something that the bag collectors obviously aren't.

It is worth nothing the registration plates and passing these onto the Gardai. When our residents association met the Community Gardai they described how they stopped one of these vans and gave it a thorough check - which delayed the van for the guts of an hour. Such a delay can send a message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Blue Hi-Ace going around the estates in Hazelbury estates yesterday morning circa 9am . I took a note of the reg and rang Gardai, they said if it is seen again to ring them and they will send a car up.

Can I put the reg up ?

someone put up the reg of a purple fiesta 99 d .... last week, so i am keeping an eye for that, now a blue van, so why not.

foots wrote: »
    someone put up the reg of a purple fiesta 99 d .... last week, so i am keeping an eye for that, now a blue van, so why not.

Ok, <reg number snipped>.

The usual, slow around the estates. 3 people in the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Ok, <<snip reg>>.

The usual, slow around the estates. 3 people in the van.
    Looks like that's the reg for a <reg number link snipped> Merc Vito Van[/URL], not a hi-ace.
    Registration <reg number snipped>
    Make MERCEDES BENZ
    Model VITO
    Description 111 CDI KA/L VIT
    Fuel Type DIESEL

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Blue Hi-Ace going around the estates in Hazelbury estates yesterday morning circa 9am . I took a note of the reg and rang Gardai, they said if it is seen again to ring them and they will send a car up.

Can I put the reg up ?

Seriously - If you want to know whether something can be posted or not - you need to PM a mod. Expecting mods to read every post in a forum is unrealistic. Particularly as you decided to post anyway after only 10 minutes.

Please folks - no peronally identifiable information in posts. If you feel that you have information relevant to the burglaries - pass it to An Garda Síochána.

Thanks,

tHB

• Advertisement

Seriously - If you want to know whether something can be posted or not - you need to PM a mod. Expecting mods to read every post in a forum is unrealistic. Particularly as you decided to post anyway after only 10 minutes.

Please folks - no peronally identifiable information in posts. If you feel that you have information relevant to the burglaries - pass it to An Garda Síochána.

Thanks,

tHB

I posted as I assumed it was ok as per foots post ?

Anyway, I apoligise and it won't happen again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I posted as I assumed it was ok as per foots post ?

Anyway, I apoligise and it won't happen again. :)
    I think he posted a partial reg...anyways lesson learnt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

Hi Foots, We are also in Littlepace. She was obviously working that area last night. I agree, she was good, a real pro. She has a script memorised and it's just constant chatter for 30 or 40 seconds. I have never ever fallen for any type of scam and I'm still kicking myself that I let my guard down. Thankfully we she stepped inside I knew something was up and I ran her. The lesson learnt is that if you want to help a charity, do it online on your own terms. I'm still mad at myself.

thats exactly how myself and the 5 neighbours feel, raging we did not go with our guts, i never give money out at the door but it was the i live around the corner speech that did it!

sorry i did not mean to give incorrect info, like you alaska, wont happen again, slap on wrist for me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In this day and age the idea of calling door to door to flog something has been so abused by people hard selling scamming and robbing, that its no longer an appropriate way of contacting people IMO. People should no longer open their door to people they don't know.

yes think that's the way to go, i laugh at my friend who remains on the sofa if it is someone at the door that she does not know even if they can see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

sparky28 wrote: »
    Hi Foots, We are also in Littlepace. She was obviously working that area last night. I agree, she was good, a real pro. She has a script memorised and it's just constant chatter for 30 or 40 seconds. I have never ever fallen for any type of scam and I'm still kicking myself that I let my guard down. Thankfully we she stepped inside I knew something was up and I ran her. The lesson learnt is that if you want to help a charity, do it online on your own terms. I'm still mad at myself.

Sorry guys what exactly happened,she gave a speech for some money,was it?

Did she do anything else?

:mad:
    Beware, think a few of us in Littlepace have just been had. A traveller just pretended to live around the block and would I sponser her, got suspicious when she stood in, turns out she then told my neighbours I sent her and continued down the road telling each next door sent her, fool proof!! Only one went with her gut and said no, Yet we all thought she was a traveller, guards seemed aware of scam and said patrol car on route. You have to laugh at the nerve!! None of us checked her card etc and so far I know of 50€ she got for 10 mins work!!

hi Kev,

dont know why she was trying to get into each house, she got in hall door of three and had a good look and commented on decor!! my 8 year old is a nosey madam and stayed staring at her so she stepped back out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 brianodub

No Need to move buddy. First of all how did they enter the back garden on these 2 occasions do you think? Fence hop? or was it open?. If its the old wooden style fence (one kick and its open) replace it with a good quality steel One with decorative spikes on top (Nice and High) Have the catch piece if possible anchored into your Wall pillar between the houses so its impossible to force.. Next padlock her up (good strong no holes barred padlock invest in a decent one) . Step up that security mate and make it as bloody awkward as possible for those animals to get in. You should not be forced to move from your residence for a bunch of toe-rags. There is another chap on here that stuck up a decent CCTV camera. The more akward and imposing your security set up looks the scoobies will walk by in most cases. They are really looking for easy targets. OPPURTUNISTS.

"The gardai tell us that many break-ins are opportunistic and that a large percentage don't even need a forced entry - the burglar goes through an open window or uses the keys that are left under the door mat"

Have a look at this article people for tips and put them louts out of business :D
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Best-Security-For-Your-Home---Top-10-Tips&id=6818092

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6818092
    Thats good advice, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    just reading all these posts and more I read more worried I get..
    I always lock my car, door, side gate, spent some cash on replacing kitchen sliding door for more secure, built higher wall in back garden, etc, but still if somebody wants they can break in.
    Can somebody smart tell me how difficult and expensive would be to put a cctv at the entrance to the cul de sac, or few cameras in the estate? I guess that once there is a camera pointing at the only entrance to the estate and large sign pointing cctv system, some scumbags will think twice before driving in...

if cost is splitted between 10 or 20 houses it can,t be very expensive....

camera could be powered from street light and signal sent to the trusted neighbour who lives near...

what you think?

A CCTV camera is captures images/video on property you do not own might not be received well by others who live in the area. Could be seen as snooping/spying.

Also, scumbags couldn't care less about CCTV. Hoodies/hats & keep their heads down, and they have nothing to worry about.

Traveler girl just called to our door asking if we had sky or UPC we said neither. She said thanks and walked away. She was wearing a strappy top and shorts !! No ID

Wonder what that was about, was there no car in your drive? Maybe she was checking if you were in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Seems like they are really worried about being nabbed by the Guards then :rolleyes: Why not just ring the doorbell and say "I was going to rob your gaff but shure you're here so I'll leave it". Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Traveler girl just called to our door asking if we had sky or UPC we said neither. She said thanks and walked away. She was wearing a strappy top and shorts !! No ID

I would have followed her to all my neighbours and once she'd gotten one person who said UPC and one who said Sky, and offered them nothing, I'd have let her know I was calling the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

yes think that's the way to go, i laugh at my friend who remains on the sofa if it is someone at the door that she does not know even if they can see her.

I wave at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

fletch wrote: »
    brightkane wrote: »
    Slightly OT I think Lidl was done again last night. Guards in there and the gates were closed.
    clonee or whitestown?

Sorry fletch, missed reply, whites town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    I guess that once there is a camera pointing at the only entrance to the estate and large sign pointing cctv system, some scumbags will think twice before driving in

If I was a burglar, I'd start by stealing the CCTV. It's hard to see CCTV being a very useful anti-burglar measure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Depends on where the recorder is located.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Last night around half past midnight was the worst yet in the Ongar area. I thought a helicopter was going to land on my roof. It was so noisy. I've only found this to be a fairly regular occurrence in the last 12-18 months or so. What is the logic and why does it seem to be a night time (after vast majority are in bed) exercise only? Is it definitely a Garda helicopter?

Advertisement