Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's interesting how intentional Sci-Fi comedies are so rare - live-action in particular; have wondered why that is. They're like hen's teeth really, that when you ignore The Orville, you then got ... uhh. Like, it couldn't just be Red Dwarf as the last example of a long-running sci-fi-com? I vaguely remember when Yahoo had a brief foray into streaming there was a sci-fi sitcom - which like the service itself, flopped. They're a bit more common nowadays in animation, what with Rick & Morty for one. While you do have shows like Dr. Who that have comedic sensibilities - but rarely full-on gags or jokes forming the bedrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Funny thing is Orville is kind of the reverse. It does get some laughs for playing on sci-fi tropes but its not all that laugh out loud funny and is at its best when being a bit serious.

For instance Bortus pleasure spa was funny but more importantly one of the few brilliant studies of the dangers of Holo tech

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

With live action I think part of it is because sci-fi is inherently kind of absurd so you need to have the characters take the absurd situation seriously or the whole thing can easily fall apart. The longer it goes on the more likely it is to fall apart which is why sci-fi comedy movies seem to be more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just to segway back to Star Trek for a moment. Is it ever explained how holodecks and suites are able to be, to borrow a phrase from another show, bigger on the inside?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I remember asking similar, Especially when it comes to characters occupying different heights, and the explanation was some waffle technobabble about the holodeck's rendering perhaps tricking your sense of perspective.

But obviously the real answer is "magic" and much of Trek technology is bullshít wrapped around fancy names and earnest explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,413 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Blasphemy!

Sufficiently advanced tech appears as magic to primitives like you.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Trek and Wars were always space fantasy more than sci-fi. In fairness most things in the sci-fi genre wave stuff away with space magic like ships that have windows on the tops and bottoms of decks but where every window is parallel to the people on the inside.

Look at the schematics of the Ent-D and explain why we never saw a floor window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Basically multi-directional "treadmills" underfoot so you can walk for miles in any direction but still be in the same room.

I cannot remember where I heard that explanation but I think it's the official one. Always made sense to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

And again, that does seem plausible enough tbh. If early 21st century tech can make Robbie Coltrane believably 10foot tall, safe to assume they will have figured out to optimise perspective 300 years later.

• Advertisement

They could just surround individuals in a forcefield projection bubble

So ... "magic" then.

Or; the spitballing of a coked-up 80s TV executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Season 1 establishes it as basically a fancy treadmill. Data picks up a rock and throws it and it hits off the wall as it's gotten too far from him. Of course the rock was part of the simulation so the holodeck software should have been smart enough to handle that but very little of how holodecks were depicted as actually consistent. He used a similar trick in "Ship in a bottle" with his communicator to determine that they were in a simulated Enterprise and not the real Enterprise.

Short answer: magic.

Post edited by Stark on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

They're lucky that at least external observers themselves also see the hologram projection; that it's not like our current VR, where you can't help but look like an absolute plonker using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Never mind how the holodecks were bigger on the inside, I'd like to know how the spaceships themselves are bigger on the inside! That ridiculous scene in one of the S3 Discovery episodes where characters are falling/jumping around the tops of the lifts inside the turbolift system. Apparently the inside of Discovery is many hundreds of metres tall - or artificial gravity is significantly smaller than 1G!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Rawr

I always assumed that the Holodeck "scrolled" with you if you were in a holographic area that was larger than the deck itself (with some kind of smart "3-D treadmill" function).

What starts to make it trickier is when you've got more than one user in the Holodeck moving to areas far apart in the program. My guess about this (because I over-think important issues like these) is that the Holodeck can devide the user sessions to various pocket holodeck areas, which are seemlessly joined together again when the users are close enough again in the holo-program. Also when you see eachother from far away, that's just a holographic copy of the user, and they're not "real" again until you are sharing the same area.

Yeah, that's basically what I always took from it. You share a space, when next to each other but end up with a force-field and holograms between you when you move apart

The turbolift funhouse. A different more Willy Wonka looking version appeared in season 1 and was rightly ripped to shreads

Jesus those turbolifts. I wonder had a different team or company done that sequence, one that wasn't given the brief properly and made this giant cavern from bad info. I refuse to believe the writers are THAT slipshod, but instead bad management communicated the action sequence poorly. Not that the writers are competent, but basic geographic continuity seems like a gimme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Storyline from Picard Season 3 leaked. Wesley Crusher is back and learns a shocking revelation about his parentage. He seems to take it well.

Post edited by flazio on

• Advertisement

Frakes looks like he's trimmed down massively

Are you implying Riker is Wesley's dad? If so Beverly must have taken Riker to one of those planets with very lax age of consent laws, Riker was 13 when Wesley was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

There are deals to be had over on Eaglemoss folks. 30% off with the code PLUS30.

I went for it and got the Borg Cube Advent Calendar for around 1/2 price as it was already reduced. Resistance was futile after I saw IrishTrekkie's unboxing of the first two days on youtube.

Not that I ever need one but there is a class looking Quarks wine stopper.

Wine stopper? What is this device of which you speak?

It's a future space magic thing like holodecks and replicators

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Related, but that YouTube channel got copyright Claimed for a tonne of their content. The Paramount legal department obviously didn't find the videos funny.

• Advertisement

A claim or a takedown request? The former just mean Paramount gets the monetisation.

Advertisement