Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

The problem with dating sites, I find, is that if you've been chatting for a while, you tend to build up this image in your head of how they are, their online-persona, if you will. Sometimes, when you meet them, their online personas don't match how they actually appear to be in real life. It's why I sometimes might ask to meet after a few messages. Unfortunately some women don't think the same.

It's amusing how many profiles I've seen with women where they're standing in rather uncomfortable positions, just to show off their cleavage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

yeah you're right, it's better to meet up not too far down the road, so you know if you click or not.

yeah you're right, it's better to meet up not too far down the road, so you know if you click or not.

Yet I've often had women who have thought it was too eager. Only maybe a handful of times has someone agreed to.

Yet I've often had women who have thought it was too eager. Only maybe a handful of times has someone agreed to.

well it has to be at the right time though, not like straight away either.

well it has to be at the right time though, not like straight away either.

Ah therein lies the problem. When is it the right time? For me, it might be after, say, 5 messages or so. Yet some would find that too eager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Ah therein lies the problem. When is it the right time? For me, it might be after, say, 5 messages or so. Yet some would find that too eager.

would they be 5 long messages containing a lot of detail or like...

You: Hey
    Her: Hey
    You: Whats up?
    Her: Not much, you?
    You: Not much either...wanna meet up sometime?

yeah see it's all about what's been talked about, how often you talk...what feels right.

would they be 5 long messages containing a lot of detail or like...

You: Hey
    Her: Hey
    You: Whats up?
    Her: Not much, you?
    You: Not much either...wanna meet up sometime?

Generally if the mails were going to be as short as that, then I would probably just not bother continuing with whoever they are. It's OK for maybe an IM function, but not mails. That probably sounds pretty condescending, but if they're not going to make the effort, then neither am I.

However, if we were actually having proper conversations and I was intrigued by them, then yes, I might ask after 5 mails.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Would have say i'd be kinda in the same idea as boneyarsebogman there Jenny. They really wouldn't be comments worth going back and forward via a messaging.

Even then a girl IM'd me like that the other day as well and i felt like i was just interviewing her. There was absolutely nothing in her profile at all, so didn't have much to chat generally about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

OKC sent me a notification that a boardsie was near my current location :pac:

• Advertisement

Pembily wrote: »

Creepy.

Who is it??

Creepy.

Who is it??
    A boy :p it was kinda weirdly funny :)

"X is outside your door. Let him in, it's cold out there! Make him some tea"?

"X is outside your door. Let him in, it's cold out there! Make him some tea"?
    Nope it says "x is nearby right now - wanna meet him"

Nope it says "x is nearby right now - wanna meet him"

I'm not sure which sounds creepier ...

Bahahaha - if you Google "OKCupid Login", the first result comes up as the URL www.okcupid.com\stalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think there's a huge danger in some girls just wanting Penpals. The last time my account was active, I was chatting 2 girls I liked, but it just seemed like a never ending string of mails back and forwards. I know it's good to get to know someone and all, but after 30 mails or so it gets a bit much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Owen wrote: »
    I think there's a huge danger in some girls just wanting Penpals. The last time my account was active, I was chatting 2 girls I liked, but it just seemed like a never ending string of mails back and forwards. I know it's good to get to know someone and all, but after 30 mails or so it gets a bit much!

The same could be said for asking for "new friends" when clearly they're looking for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

c - 13 wrote: »
    Just found a profile pic on POF of a girl sitting on a toilet with her knickers around her knees. Jeeeesus ...

Damn need to change my profiler.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Just found a profile pic on POF of a girl sitting on a toilet with her knickers around her knees. Jeeeesus ...
    your think thats bad, a guy had his profile pic as his crotch.

and then beneath he had, im living with girlfriend but not getting sex, I just wanna try wit a guy aswell.....wtf :O
    creep

for clarification, I mean creep that he's in a relationship,not that he wants to ride a guy

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

ok...i'm back! i didnt think i'd find myself online again but after a few online dates over christmas ( lovely girl but no spark) and a few real world dates (awesome girl who just sorta went cold suddenly despite plenty of spark :( ).....anyway i had forgotten about this when i got a late reply from someone i messages a few weeks back so i logged on to reply and then started browsing and here i am again for better or for worse!

i'll spend a few days catching up on the thread and then join in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Do people usually stay local when looking for their matches or would they consider someone who was much further away? ie Meath vs Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd generally stay local anyway.

I would usually stay local, but if the girl's photo/profile intrigued me enough, then I'd consider making contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

booboo88 wrote: »
    your think thats bad, a guy had his profile pic as his crotch.

and then beneath he had, im living with girlfriend but not getting sex, I just wanna try wit a guy aswell.....wtf :O
    creep

for clarification, I mean creep that he's in a relationship,not that he wants to ride a guy

Classy - hope you mailed him after all that - what a catch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Yeah i always search for local.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why dont boards do a sort of online dating forum thingy - seems there are plently of singletons on here. A sort of meet up place (rather than just talking about online dating experiences).

I met a guy off t'internet a few times, who I thought is/was the bees knees, and plently of interest from him, and then he told me there was no spark. We had an awkward (but still nice) kiss after a date. Plently of sparkage on my part, but I was OTT nervous, and was talking drivel, and didnt read his rather subtle come on "signals" very well. I thought he only wanted to be friends, hence I was a bit surprised, but I do like him and now he is gone cold. Burrrrrrrrr.

funny_POF_giant.jpg

OK, maybe I'm slightly easily amused, but once again, these two photos on top of each other make it look like one giant lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

Saw the same with a guy - like wtf? Eeeuuuggghhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Deveras

Hey there,

I'm desperately trying to find some Irish penpals of ~20 years of age since I'm interested in the Irish culture. Furthermore, I'm determined to do my study related internship at a company in Ireland. Therefore, I appreciate any advice for nice webpages which help me to get in contact to many people of different cities. :) I'm not really interested in flirting, therefore it doesn't matter whether I'm talking to men or women.

PS: It seems that Facebook is not the best platform to do so (I cannot even count the number of people I already wrote to :D).

Many thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Flaker wrote: »
    Saw the same with a guy - like wtf? Eeeuuuggghhh!

What kind of people are out there?! I think I may have seen the same one, but the one I saw is a guy with thumbs up and a guy passed out on a toilet behind him? So so strange!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement