Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Been lurking, but don't know if I can get through BOTH threads. But anyway, just signed up to POF about a month ago, went on a couple of dates with one guy but that's it.

Been messaging a few, one guy I've been talking to all day, getting along relatively well with, and is quite good looking, just admitted that it's not actually his photo, he used a friends photo just to see what the site was like, and that his profile isn't truthful! Has anyone else had this kinda thing before??

Id ask to see a photo before talking to him further, doesnt put him high on the trustworthy scale if hes not prepared to put up a photo of himself and instead uses a friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

Been lurking, but don't know if I can get through BOTH threads. But anyway, just signed up to POF about a month ago, went on a couple of dates with one guy but that's it.

Been messaging a few, one guy I've been talking to all day, getting along relatively well with, and is quite good looking, just admitted that it's not actually his photo, he used a friends photo just to see what the site was like, and that his profile isn't truthful! Has anyone else had this kinda thing before??

thats strange, no never experienced it. doesnt sound very confident putting up his mates picture which to me suggests he finds his mate more attractive and why lie in a profile for an experiment?
    ask him to update his profile fully to his true self and if he doesnt then i wouldn't bother contacting him again,my advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

VinLieger wrote: »
    Id ask to see a photo before talking to him further, doesnt put him high on the trustworthy scale if hes not prepared to put up a photo of himself and instead uses a friends.

I wouldn't even bother keeping in contact to be honest. Too much lying going on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was in contact with two girls on POF who initiated contact with me but who lost the ability to respond when I asked for a photo seeing they had none on their profile. They really should get that checked out by a qualified professional.

Larianne wrote: »
    I wouldn't even bother keeping in contact to be honest. Too much lying going on there.

Actually your right, thought about it a bit more after i wrote that. Theres plenty of ways to sign up to the sites and not display your photo but putting up another photo entirely is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Agreed ... In my experience, there are loads of lovely decent genuine guys on those sites, why waste your time on someone who's already proven themselves to be dishonest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Yeah it's a bit odd, I messaged him there anyway, saying as much. I don't think I'll bother though really after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I concur. If they are lying about what they actually look like. Imagine what else they might be lying about...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

Yeah it's a bit odd, I messaged him there anyway, saying as much. I don't think I'll bother though really after that.

also, if he's using that profile as an experiment, then is it fair to assume he using messaging you as an experiment too? not much genuineness in the whole situation tbh..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

awec wrote: »
    The amount of people who don't know where they are from is shocking.

Jesus wept. :rolleyes:

Well, if the person lived in bray (for example) they would be on the border of both (depending on the part of bray)

Also, Bray (and at a push greystones) are on the dart line, and have Standard dublin bus routes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Funny story. That girl I went on the date with on Sunday. We've decided that were gonna give the old friendship route a bash since we got on pretty well (no 'spark' though unfortunately). So she added me to facebook just there and I was flicking through her profile (as you do) and low and behold she has a photo of herself holding a snapping turtle by the neck! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Maybe he doesn't want his wife to spot him :D. In reality we have no idea how many people do this because you won't know until you meet them. There are plenty of valid reasons not to post a pic on a profile but using someone else's photo is a fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Axed my POF profile the other day. Don't think I'll be going back to it for a while either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Thoughts - the guy who stood me up Friday message today (we haven't exchanged phone numbers) saying sorry had a difficult few days with family problems. I'm being played, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Pembily wrote: »
    Thoughts - the guy who stood me up Friday message today (we haven't exchanged phone numbers) saying sorry had a difficult few days with family problems. I'm being played, right?

Ask him what happened maybe? If it was something fairly serious then yeah give him the benifit of the doubt, but if he says he was at a fecking granny's 90th or something, I say boot him, as in fairness, something like that would be a shíte excuse for not meeting you!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Ooh! Difficult one. Not necessarily playing you, could be genuine but on the other hand may be keeping you on simmer and a date he had at weekend didn't work out?..:confused:

If you like him maybe give him a second chance? I probably would if i was really keen on him:)

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Ooh! Difficult one. Not necessarily playing you, could be genuine but on the other hand may be keeping you on simmer and a date he had at weekend didn't work out?..:confused:

If you like him maybe give him a second chance? I probably would if i was really keen on him:)

See this is the thing, I kinda am keen, we have been messaging on and off since October :rolleyes: :eek: Also majorly curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

See this is the thing, I kinda am keen, we have been messaging on and off since October :rolleyes: :eek: Also majorly curious!

Am common love, he's taking you for a ride. :rolleyes:

KTRIC wrote: »

Am common love, he's taking you for a ride. :rolleyes:
    Firstly my name's NOT love...

Secondly the reason it's been so long is we were messaging for 2 weeks then I started seeing someone and after that finished we started messaging again 3 weeks ago.

Firstly my name's NOT love...

Secondly the reason it's been so long is we were messaging for 2 weeks then I started seeing someone and after that finished we started messaging again 3 weeks ago.

Its not ?? just messing with you ;)

If you think he's worth the extra effort then give it another shot then.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

How definite was the arrangement, and how apologetic was he?

I mean, it's a pretty big deal to just stand someone up! And, no matter what family stuff he had going on, you'd think he could have gotten in touch with you sooner!

awec wrote: »
    You know best Pem, whatever you think! :)

What I would say though, that family problems or not he should still not have stood you up.

Exactly, i dont think theres much excuse for not messaging you and saying "sorry wont make it"

Just deleted both of my accounts, had enough messing to last me a life time. Online dating is definitely not for me.

Exactly, i dont think theres much excuse for not messaging you and saying "sorry wont make it"

You and Awec are right, suppose :rolleyes:

I am gonna message tomorrow evening as Panthro suggested and see what he says but I am skeptical! Realistically I know I shouldn't message but I am curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I used the 'viewed me' feature too but I also check out 'new users'. Has anyone noticed how many new users are looking for 'intimate encounters'? Maybe its just my age group trying to recapture their youth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

You and Awec are right, suppose :rolleyes:

I am gonna message tomorrow evening as Panthro suggested and see what he says but I am skeptical! Realistically I know I shouldn't message but I am curious!

I'd be really curious too,but to actually proper stand you up, no message or anything? I'd run for the hills to be honest. starting on the wrong foot, completely from the get go !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Date set for tomorrow night :)

Dovies wrote: »
    I used the 'viewed me' feature too but I also check out 'new users'. Has anyone noticed how many new users are looking for 'intimate encounters'? Maybe its just my age group trying to recapture their youth! :D

I've been really quite saddened by some of the experiences some of the you guys have had on here lately. I was just about to fill out my profile for getting back on POF last night and i stopped and thought do i really want to put myself through this again? I'm all of a didther now trying to decide if i really need this or am i really better off accepting the single life. I know it's not everybody's experienceand we try our best to have a laugh about it but there are some really horrible people out there:(

• Advertisement

GrumPy wrote: »
    I'd be really curious too,but to actually proper stand you up, no message or anything? I'd run for the hills to be honest. starting on the wrong foot, completely from the get go !

In hindsight Pem I'd agree with the lads, if he actually left you standing waiting somewhere then the family emergency would have to be a hum dinger for a second chance:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement