Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I keep getting random women from all over the world viewing my profile on OKCupid on a fairly regular basis. Strangely enough, the majority are American.

Ditto. It's peculiar alright. I'd say I get 4 or 5 American viewers for every Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I keep getting random women from all over the world viewing my profile on OKCupid on a fairly regular basis. Strangely enough, the majority are American.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Ditto. It's peculiar alright. I'd say I get 4 or 5 American viewers for every Irish one.

Usually the same but from Asian women. This particular one added me to her favourites ages ago and I just ignored it. Not sure whats behind it :confused:

KTRIC wrote: »
    Usually the same but from Asian women. This particular one added me to her favourites ages ago and I just ignored it. Not sure whats behind it :confused:

Oh I've been getting a few Filipinos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There was a hilarious documentary a while ago about mail order brides. In one scene loads of Thai girls were in an internet cafe & they were coaching each other as to how to get the men to send money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Discodog wrote: »
    There was a hilarious documentary a while ago about mail order brides. In one scene loads of Thai girls were in an internet cafe & they were coaching each other as to how to get the men to send money :D

I know it's been 6 months since she last mailed me but Natasha loves me I tell you!

• Advertisement

The other thing is that someone can put any location on a site. I had a few from people who say that they are in Ireland & turn out to be in Russia :D

There will always be people who get hooked in & end up loosing money - there was a woman on liveline a few weeks ago.

The Thai girls were using fake photos, fake college bills, fake medical bills etc to extract money from gullible western men & it worked !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

On the whole tracking people down thing, my pof is Captain Havoc as is my facebook code thing in the address bar. I really don't have anything to hide so I don't, other than the obvious email, phone numbers, address and body in the back yard.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

haha, nothing to hide with an alias :P

Used my real name on OKC / POF meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

No replies still after sending pics, it's not easy :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Samich wrote: »
    Sent another message to a galway girl after the original message I sent to another girl, she asked for a pic too, I sent one. Thought I might have some message in my inbox as wasn't online since 6 or whatever, but no. ah.
    Samich wrote: »
    No replies still after sending pics, it's not easy :)

My own experience is that I won't contact people without photos and I won't ask out of politeness for one, even if they contact me, I'll chat to them until they get bored. I think the photos need to be in the profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

G-Money wrote: »
    Re-joined OKCupid today. Haven't bothered contacting anyone on it yet though, will see if any females make the first

*cuts to scene of G-Money's dried up skeleton. The sun a red giant above his skull, the oceans boiling*

My own experience is that I won't contact people without photos and I won't ask out of politeness for one, even if they contact me, I'll chat to them until they get bored. I think the photos need to be in the profile.

I disagree. People have lots of valid reasons for not wanting to post photos especially for women.

The point that I was making is that we all post on Boards & those posts are here for a long time so we need to be OK with the idea of people reading them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

KTRIC wrote: »

Possibly after a European passport.

Why do men 15-25 year older bother contacting much younger women? I have a father figure and I don't need another one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Discodog wrote: »
    I disagree. People have lots of valid reasons for not wanting to post photos especially for women.

True some people do, but I think the majority is because they may not be attractive looking. Or are already involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

mood wrote: »
    Why do men 15-25 year older bother contacting much younger women? I have a father figure and I don't need another one. :rolleyes:

'cause they're pedophiles?

:)

'cause they're pedophiles?

:)

Hardly when I in early 30s! Some people are just not realistic at all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    I guess they just feel they have nothing to lose.

I guess I just getting sick of people wasting my time! Time for an internet dating break I think!

It's on old boats you learn to sail.

• Advertisement

It's on old boats you learn to sail.

Never, never, NEVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I guess I just getting sick of people wasting my time! Time for an internet dating break I think!

Thinking exactly the same thing myself.The effort to reward ratio is not even close to being balanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Hardly when I in early 30s! Some people are just not realistic at all.
    Wait I read that wrong I read 15-25 years old not older So I was wondering how old you were to consider a 15 year old to be old :D:D:D

Wait I read that wrong I read 15-25 years old not older So I was wondering how old you were to consider a 15 year old to be old :D:D:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR09hm3NRO6I_2eOGkb-r5YyFaUwT5MfZlcIrZzv_1FJVAn4NlH0CgbC1kE

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭red_diesel

Been on a couple of dates with a girl. No kissing or anything yet, unsure as to her feelings towards me. 3rd date arranged.
    Another girl I've been chatting to is keen to meet so i've agreed. She seems like she has a nice personality and she has nice pics.

Is this really bad? I'm feeling the ole Catholic guilt at the moment.

red_diesel wrote: »
    Been on a couple of dates with a girl. No kissing or anything yet, unsure as to her feelings towards me. 3rd date arranged.
    Another girl I've been chatting to is keen to meet so i've agreed. She seems like she has a nice personality and she has nice pics.

Is this really bad? I'm feeling the ole Catholic guilt at the moment.

It's not good in my opinion. Just postpone the 2nd girl until you see how the things go with the 1st girl. If you like the 1st girl why are you even messaging other girls anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I met up with someone recently and it was an absolute disaster. When I say she was everything that would put me off meeting up with anyone again, I mean it. Think loud, obnoxious and rude and you'll get the picture. I was so turned off by this experience I decided to disconnect completely from the online thing until today when I stuck photos back up. Lets hope it was a once off!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭red_diesel

It's not good in my opinion. Just postpone the 2nd girl until you see how the things go with the 1st girl. If you like the 1st girl why are you even messaging other girls anyway?

I've been dropped like a hot potato so many time that I find it best to keep your options open, especially seeing as I do not know how the girl in question feels about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

See here's the thing

I'm getting messages from guys..but guys I'm not very attracted to.

I feel like such a bad person for not repying but, I'd feel if I did reply i'd be leading them on!

i'm going to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

In theory dating sites should cut out the unsuitable people, by this I mean all the people who feel differently about having children, marriage, sexual preferences, future place of residence etc, even whether any prospective relationship is to be long or short etc.

In practice, I've found that if you're lucky enough to find someone who agrees on these questions, and is in your age bracket, attractiveness level etc, that when you meet, one or other won't feel enough attraction to want to continue it further.

I'd imagine if you are lucky enough to meet someone, feel the chemistry, and have them feel it too, and go on to form along term relationship from it, that it would have a high chance of success, given that you already have a lot of the same goals and expectations from life in general.

Anyway, I've had enough, it's coming down, and not going back up. I'll take my chances on real life, because, although I may meet many who aren't looking, and many with different goals, this constant messaging and 90% rejection rate is just too much. As Otis said, it's too much effort for in my case, - no reward. I get more interest and more good feedback in real life, unsuitable as some of it may be.

Good luck to those of you continuing.

I'll still look in here no doubt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement