Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High protein LOW carb.. HELP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

agreed and this video might help with whats known as the fat loss hypothesis , saturated fat and cholesterol

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

I posted this thread and now i'm lost haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

I posted this thread and now i'm lost haha

Well you learned that we are not supposed to be fed after 6pm because we turn into gremlins.

Ok joking aside but I could resist, I can see why some would benefit not eating after 6, because it is when some of us slow down and are tempted with yummy, gooey & chewy crap and don't know when to stop. But some of us others who actually workout until 7:30pm and need some food afterwards in order to keep up some sort of strength..... but er back to your question.

I'm not really into low carb, but try to limit the processed ones, I try to go for cottage cheese, fish & eggs. I'm not really a big meat eater so that's all I can think of at the moment. Got kinda lost in the thread too.

I'm just lookig for what people think is the best diet.. something that shows effect after 2 weeks if there is one?

I'm just lookig for what people think is the best diet.. something that shows effect after 2 weeks if there is one?
    This will help -

Focus on food quality and cut out the toxins (all the obvious junk foods)

If you do not start by increasing the quality of the foods you eat and cutting out the toxins then you have no business worrying about carb intake, fat ratios etc. Please note that most people should never and will never progress beyond this point. Be the person that nails this down and move forwards rather than looking for some quick fix that you think is keeping you from dropping the fat.

•Foods to eat – meat, eggs, vegetables, tubers, fruit, nuts, seeds, dairy produce.

•Foods you will likely not function well on – Note I am not saying avoid or eliminate these foods as you know and I know that’s unlikely to happen. However, I guarantee you will not function well on or work well on these foods so keep them out of the diet as much as possible and the more you do this the better you will look and feel. Foods that drain and inflame - grains, sugar, vegetable oils, hydrogenated fats, all junk foods, alcohol etc

•Understand the role your endocrine system plays – if you really want to understand health and in particular fat loss and still think that it just comes down to a weight watchers approach of taking in less calories then you seriously need to take a step back and get the bigger picture on how your hormones promote fat loss or gain. Start with leptin resistance which is essential reading on this topic. Get your metabolism working for fat loss through control of your hormones or you will forever be fighing a the weight battle.

Obesity/weight gain causes and solutions – yes we are consuming about 500calories per day more than we did 20-30years ago. Food companies are producing hyper rewarding foods i.e. foods that make you want to eat more e.g. carb and sugar laden foods. We are consuming less fat and more carbs than every before in history yet the food guide pyramid (promotes a large proportion of the diet to be full of carbs) is still held up as the way to eat for health. Countries want to introduce a fat tax to ‘help’ curb obesity yet fail to understand and keep up to date with current research which gives ample evidence that a diet high in fats (saturated fats also) are highly beneficial.

The solution, in part, should be to -

Adopt all the advice given above and stop looking for your answers in another diet or weight loss fad. From my experience and the results I have obtained working with hundreds of clients this stuff works so get started today.

1.Remove wheat from the diet as it’s a major toxin that can and will affect all and every system in your body. If you think you are really hooked on wheat then do a 30-day wheat free challenge and observe the results.

2.Earn your carbs – doing lots of crossfit or another sport and think it’s a good idea to adopt a really low carb intake? NO, that would be a really bad idea so replace grain based carbs with sweet potatoes, squash, yam, rice, veggies, fruit etc. Are you sitting around all day, can tell me what happend on Dr Oz, Jeremy Kyle, are worried about the butter you are putting on your fifth piece of toast today and still think the special K challenge might just be a good idea? NO, please earn your carbs and get up off your butt and go move a little more.

3.Monitor how certain foods make you feel. Ignoring this is the reason why you are sick and constantly tired.

4.Of course exercise more but for the love of God start by just going for a walk every day if you are completely out of shape. From there move on to my essential weight training exercises, foam rolling and highly effective home workouts. Please note doing lots of cardio only e.g. jogging, walking, cycling is possibly the slowest way towards your goal of optimal health.

5.Enjoy food. This part is essential as you should NEVER feel like you are ‘on’ a diet or depriving yourself. This is how you were intended to eat and a sh1t ton of advertising and really poor public health promotions have turned many people into fat fearing, ‘healthy wholegrain’ fibre chomping, pill popping, chronically fatigued zombies! Doing all of the above is not a sentence. It will be something enjoyable, fun and most of all something that will give you the energy and vitality to do anything with friends and family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If you wanna see results in 2 weeks cut out sugar and all processed carbs, plenty of protein and fat and you'll see results in a few weeks,

I'm not advising this or saying its anyway a healthy diet, just answering your question.

Transform wrote: »
    This will help -

Focus on food quality and cut out the toxins (all the obvious junk foods)

If you do not start by increasing the quality of the foods you eat and cutting out the toxins then you have no business worrying about carb intake, fat ratios etc. Please note that most people should never and will never progress beyond this point. Be the person that nails this down and move forwards rather than looking for some quick fix that you think is keeping you from dropping the fat.

•Foods to eat – meat, eggs, vegetables, tubers, fruit, nuts, seeds, dairy produce.

•Foods you will likely not function well on – Note I am not saying avoid or eliminate these foods as you know and I know that’s unlikely to happen. However, I guarantee you will not function well on or work well on these foods so keep them out of the diet as much as possible and the more you do this the better you will look and feel. Foods that drain and inflame - grains, sugar, vegetable oils, hydrogenated fats, all junk foods, alcohol etc

•Understand the role your endocrine system plays – if you really want to understand health and in particular fat loss and still think that it just comes down to a weight watchers approach of taking in less calories then you seriously need to take a step back and get the bigger picture on how your hormones promote fat loss or gain. Start with leptin resistance which is essential reading on this topic. Get your metabolism working for fat loss through control of your hormones or you will forever be fighing a the weight battle.

Obesity/weight gain causes and solutions – yes we are consuming about 500calories per day more than we did 20-30years ago. Food companies are producing hyper rewarding foods i.e. foods that make you want to eat more e.g. carb and sugar laden foods. We are consuming less fat and more carbs than every before in history yet the food guide pyramid (promotes a large proportion of the diet to be full of carbs) is still held up as the way to eat for health. Countries want to introduce a fat tax to ‘help’ curb obesity yet fail to understand and keep up to date with current research which gives ample evidence that a diet high in fats (saturated fats also) are highly beneficial.

The solution, in part, should be to -

Adopt all the advice given above and stop looking for your answers in another diet or weight loss fad. From my experience and the results I have obtained working with hundreds of clients this stuff works so get started today.

1.Remove wheat from the diet as it’s a major toxin that can and will affect all and every system in your body. If you think you are really hooked on wheat then do a 30-day wheat free challenge and observe the results.

2.Earn your carbs – doing lots of crossfit or another sport and think it’s a good idea to adopt a really low carb intake? NO, that would be a really bad idea so replace grain based carbs with sweet potatoes, squash, yam, rice, veggies, fruit etc. Are you sitting around all day, can tell me what happend on Dr Oz, Jeremy Kyle, are worried about the butter you are putting on your fifth piece of toast today and still think the special K challenge might just be a good idea? NO, please earn your carbs and get up off your butt and go move a little more.

3.Monitor how certain foods make you feel. Ignoring this is the reason why you are sick and constantly tired.

4.Of course exercise more but for the love of God start by just going for a walk every day if you are completely out of shape. From there move on to my essential weight training exercises, foam rolling and highly effective home workouts. Please note doing lots of cardio only e.g. jogging, walking, cycling is possibly the slowest way towards your goal of optimal health.

5.Enjoy food. This part is essential as you should NEVER feel like you are ‘on’ a diet or depriving yourself. This is how you were intended to eat and a sh1t ton of advertising and really poor public health promotions have turned many people into fat fearing, ‘healthy wholegrain’ fibre chomping, pill popping, chronically fatigued zombies! Doing all of the above is not a sentence. It will be something enjoyable, fun and most of all something that will give you the energy and vitality to do anything with friends and family.

Tanks for that man, thats the answers I was looking for.. I'll go by te list with some tough cardio and hopefully see results (not expecting it to happen overnight)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

howtomake wrote: »
    Well you learned that we are not supposed to be fed after 6pm because we turn into gremlins.

Ok joking aside but I could resist, I can see why some would benefit not eating after 6, because it is when some of us slow down and are tempted with yummy, gooey & chewy crap and don't know when to stop. But some of us others who actually workout until 7:30pm and need some food afterwards in order to keep up some sort of strength..... but er back to your question.

I'm not really into low carb, but try to limit the processed ones, I try to go for cottage cheese, fish & eggs. I'm not really a big meat eater so that's all I can think of at the moment. Got kinda lost in the thread too.

Are you trying to loose weight ?

• Advertisement

Not at all compared to what's still been pushed in mainstream media. Been scientifically de-bunked numerous times and mainstream nutrition is very very very slowly catching on to this fact. When im at home il post up various papers.

It's trans fat that people need to be very wary of, heat treated fats and veg fats and oils, not saturated fat in and off itself. Coconut is very saturated in fat, so is butter - these are not bad things. Irish butter is a good source of selenium that we lack here and K2 which has great importance working with Vit D3 and magnesium. I don't need to get into the details on coconut oil these days, its seems to have gone mainstream in and off inself

I dont beleive people are being told not to eat butter, its about using a smaller amount and reducing saturated fat intake. Reduce not stop (if a person intake is high)
    , hence why I mention the protein bar. No problem eating it just saturated fat is high so for example if a person ate 4 of them they would have reached the maximum daily allowance for unsaturated fat.

Just to clarify, do people here believe it is okay to exceed the maximum daily allowance for saturated fat

Depends on the persons diet,

it's ridiculous to group a couple of billion people with the same RDA.

Depends on the persons diet,

it's ridiculous to group a couple of billion people with the same RDA.

So how does a person calculate how much extra saturated fats they can safely consume

How does a person calculate the safe level of cholesterol for them

They cant, hence why we must go with RDA. As individuals we do not know any underlying medical problems.Hence why we must look at family history to see what runs in family and we may also suffer with eg Angina. But we may have an underlying medical problem that has not been in the immediate family but possibly back a few generations and we are unaware of.

As an example, just cause you smoke does not mean you will get lung cancer. It increase your chances, you may not necesairly get lung cancer as a smoker

http://www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/cholesterol-t-87.html

Why is cholesterol important?
    Having high cholesterol levels in your blood is one of the risk factors, which increases your chances of getting heart disease.
    One of the best ways to prevent heart disease is to keep your cholesterol at a healthy level

How can I lower my cholesterol?
    • Get down to a healthy weight - being overweight means your heart has to work harder to pump blood around the body.
    • Eat oily fish twice a week.
    • Eat more fruit and vegetables.
    • Eat more wholegrain cereals and breads, plenty of jacket potatoes and rice and pasta.
    • Choose lean meats.
    • Trim fat off meat and skin off chicken.
    • Drain oil from cooked dishes containing minced meat.
    • Choose low-fat dairy products.
    • Choose low-fat spreads made from sunflower or olive oil.
    • Choose less foods from the top shelf of the Food Pyramid.
    • Use low-fat healthy ways of cooking, like grilling or oven-baking, instead of frying.

Its never gonna be an exact calculation,

I get HDL and LDL Cholesterol tests every 6 - 8 months if I can, I've pretty much phased processed sugar out of my diet over the last 3 years, and increased my intake of saturated fat, my cholesterol levels are more than healthy, alot more than what they were 3 years ago,

I'd put my neck out here and say Sat fats with medium to high carb intake is very bad, Saturated fats with a low carb intake is much healthier than High carb, low fat

double post

howtomake wrote: »

If people can understand the body clock, then they can understand the reason for not eating late in the evening. As the body clock kicks in and the body slows down the digesting of the food consumed slows down. Bananas should be not eaten late in day due to lenght of time it takes to digest.

Late Afternoon is Best for Exercise
    Research shows that the optimal time to exercise is when our body temperature is at its highest, which, for most people is 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. (body temperature is at its lowest just before waking).
    Strength is Greater in the Afternoon
    Dr. Hill reported that strength output is 5% higher at around mid-day; anaerobic performance, such as sprinting, improves by 5% in the late afternoon.Endurance is Greater in the Afternoon
    Aerobic capacity (endurance) is approximately 4percent higher in the afternoon. Injuries Are Less Likely in the Afternoon
    Afternoon exercise is the best if you want to avoid injuries for many reasons. We are most alert; our body temperature is the highest so our muscles are warm and flexible; and our muscle strength is at its greatest. These three factors make it less likely that we will get injured.Morning Exercisers Are More Consistent
    Even though afternoon exercise might be optimal from a physiological standpoint, research also shows that morning exercisers are more likely to stick to it that late-day athletes. Evening Exercise and Sleep
    Most research supports the idea that exercise can improve sleep quality. But does exercising too late in the evening keep you up? Studies have shown improvements in sleep from both morning and afternoon exercise, so it's not yet clear if evening exercise keeps you up. One study even showed that vigorous exercise half an hour before bedtime did not affect sleep. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/WhenToExercise.htm

mbiking123 wrote: »
    So how does a person calculate how much extra saturated fats they can safely consume

How does a person calculate the safe level of cholesterol for them

They cant, hence why we must go with RDA. As individuals we do not know any underlying medical problems.Hence why we must look at family history to see what runs in family and we may also suffer with eg Angina. But we may have an underlying medical problem that has not been in the immediate family but possibly back a few generations and we are unaware of.

As an example, just cause you smoke does not mean you will get lung cancer. It increase your chances, you may not necesairly get lung cancer as a smoker

http://www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/cholesterol-t-87.html

Why is cholesterol important?
    Having high cholesterol levels in your blood is one of the risk factors, which increases your chances of getting heart disease.
    One of the best ways to prevent heart disease is to keep your cholesterol at a healthy level

How can I lower my cholesterol?
    • Get down to a healthy weight - being overweight means your heart has to work harder to pump blood around the body.
    • Eat oily fish twice a week.
    • Eat more fruit and vegetables.
    • Eat more wholegrain cereals and breads, plenty of jacket potatoes and rice and pasta.
    • Choose lean meats.
    • Trim fat off meat and skin off chicken.
    • Drain oil from cooked dishes containing minced meat.
    • Choose low-fat dairy products.
    • Choose low-fat spreads made from sunflower or olive oil.
    • Choose less foods from the top shelf of the Food Pyramid.
    • Use low-fat healthy ways of cooking, like grilling or oven-baking, instead of frying.
    did you even watch the video i posted dude!!

If you did you would better understand that the fat loss hypothesis is bogus

If people can understand the body clock, then they can understand the reason for not eating late in the evening. As the body clock kicks in and the body slows down the digesting of the food consumed slows down. Bananas should be not eaten late in day due to lenght of time it takes to digest.

Late Afternoon is Best for Exercise
    Research shows that the optimal time to exercise is when our body temperature is at its highest, which, for most people is 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. (body temperature is at its lowest just before waking).
    Strength is Greater in the Afternoon
    Dr. Hill reported that strength output is 5% higher at around mid-day; anaerobic performance, such as sprinting, improves by 5% in the late afternoon.Endurance is Greater in the Afternoon
    Aerobic capacity (endurance) is approximately 4percent higher in the afternoon. Injuries Are Less Likely in the Afternoon
    Afternoon exercise is the best if you want to avoid injuries for many reasons. We are most alert; our body temperature is the highest so our muscles are warm and flexible; and our muscle strength is at its greatest. These three factors make it less likely that we will get injured.Morning Exercisers Are More Consistent
    Even though afternoon exercise might be optimal from a physiological standpoint, research also shows that morning exercisers are more likely to stick to it that late-day athletes. Evening Exercise and Sleep
    Most research supports the idea that exercise can improve sleep quality. But does exercising too late in the evening keep you up? Studies have shown improvements in sleep from both morning and afternoon exercise, so it's not yet clear if evening exercise keeps you up. One study even showed that vigorous exercise half an hour before bedtime did not affect sleep. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/WhenToExercise.htm
    "if people can understand the body clock" - wow man if you could undertand basic physiology that might be a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The best time to exercise is when you can focus and give 100%. No point exercising in the evenings if you slack off half way during the workout.

"if people can understand the body clock" - wow man if you could undertand basic physiology that might be a good starting point.

now now, answer properly and no smart comments

• Advertisement

did you even watch the video i posted dude!!

If you did you would better understand that the fat loss hypothesis is bogus

Yes, but can we take this view as fact, and disgard all the other medical advice like Irish Heart foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

now now, answer properly and no smart comments

Quite ironic considering all your 'answers' so far have been complete rubbish.

Seriously, and this is not meant to be condescending, you should really learn how to interpret some basic science before you start claiming everyone else is wrong.

I can't eat a banana after 6 p.m.? Really, come on mate.

danlen wrote: »
    Quite ironic considering all your 'answers' so far have been complete rubbish.

Seriously, and this is not meant to be condescending, you should really learn how to interpret some basic science before you start claiming everyone else is wrong.

I can't eat a banana after 6 p.m.? Really, come on mate.

Of course you can, I never said you cant eat a banana after 6pm. I never said you cannot smoke (as an example) they are your choices for you to make

Where did I say that

I referred to loosing weight and not eating after 6pm, and a life style change to loosing weight. Making many small changes to a person lifestyle, including better diet, exercise etc. I never said people are wrong, people have made claims that go against what organisation such as Irish Heart foundation say.

It was said here that saturated fat intake is not an issue, the statement implied that a person could eat as much saturated fat as they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I everyday exceed the daily saturated fat recommended intake. My cholesterol profile is great, so is my health. In fact it has improved even more since i lost all the extra weight i had been carrying years ago. When i first lost all the weight i ate little fat, but got into cocoa, coconut butter, butter, avocado, macadamia nuts, salmon, etc, as i ate more sources of fat (and increased my saturated fat) my health has improved. All i can go on is my online diarys from back then and when i track every now and again these days.

I am also an endurance athlete and if someone was to tell me my needs for sat fat should be the same as a sedentary person, i wouldn't believe them .But that's because i'm educated and qualified to know what i am on about and i re educate when i need to to stay up to date with current science.

Nutrition science is one that evolves always as we know so little about it, it's also why mainstream media don't stay in touch with it - its too much of a head****. But, recently, mainstream institutions know the the drill now and are slowly changing bit by bit. They are a few years late to the party

I everyday exceed the daily saturated fat recommended intake. My cholesterol profile is great, so is my health. In fact it has improved even more since i lost all the extra weight i had been carrying years ago. When i first lost all the weight i ate little fat, but got into cocoa, coconut butter, butter, avocado, macadamia nuts, salmon, etc, as i ate more sources of fat (and increased my saturated fat) my health has improved. All i can go on is my online diarys from back then and when i track every now and again these days.

I am also an endurance athlete and if someone was to tell me my needs for sat fat should be the same as a sedentary person, i wouldn't believe them .But that's because i'm educated and qualified to know what i am on about and i re educate when i need to to stay up to date with current science.

Nutrition science is one that evolves always as we know so little about it, it's also why mainstream media don't stay in touch with it - its too much of a head****. But, recently, mainstream institutions know the the drill now and are slowly changing bit by bit. They are a few years late to the party

is it possible because of weight loss and not change in diet that caused cholesterol

or was change in diet the reason you lost weight ?

Yes, but can we take this view as fact, and disgard all the other medical advice like Irish Heart foundation.
    i couldnt give a flying feck what the irish heart foundation say as most of the stuff that comes out flies in the face of the best and top research out there or more importantly what i see working with my clients daily.

I can honestly say that if i recommended what they recommend to many of my clients I gurantee they would gain weight, feel terrible and perform poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thomas Magnum

i couldnt give a flying feck what the irish heart foundation say as most of the stuff that comes out flies in the face of the best and top research out there

What is the best and top research out there? What makes it so?

What is the best and top research out there? What makes it so?

The Recommended Daily Allowance, known as RDA, are recommendations for nutrients. They were developed by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council. The RDA state the amount of a nutrient that is needed for most people to stay healthy. They are different for children, adults, males, and females.
    The Dietary Reference Intake, known as DRI, are an umbrella group that includes the following other nutrient measures: · RDA · Adequate Intakes, known as AI · Estimated Average Intakes, known as EAR · Tolerable Upper Intakes, known as UL
    DRI is slowly becoming the more accepted form for nutrient recommendations. Experts expect that DRI will take the place of the RDA in time.

DRI http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI//DRI_Energy/422-541.pdf

Several hundred studies have been conducted to assess the effect of saturated fatty
    acidson serum cholesterol concentration. In general, the higher the intake of saturated fatty acids, the higher the serum total (Figure 8-2) and low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol concentrations (Figure 8-3). Regression analyses of such studies have suggested that for each 1 percent increase in energy from saturated fatty acids, serum LDL cholesterol concentration increases by 0.033 mmol/L (Mensink and Katan, 1992), 0.036 mmol/L (Clarke et al., 1997), or 0.045 mmol/L (Hegsted et al., 1993). Although all fats will increase serum high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol concentration relative to carbohydrate, the increase attributable to saturated fats is greater than that observed for monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Serum HDL cholesterol concentration increases by 0.011 to 0.013 mmol/L for each 1 percent increase in saturated fat .................................................

A number of epidemiological studies have reported an association
    between saturated fatty acid intake and risk of CHD. The majority of these
    studies have reported a positive relationship between saturated fatty acid
    intake and risk of CHD and CHD mortality

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

A number of epidemiological studies have reported an association
    between saturated fatty acid intake and risk of CHD. The majority of these
    studies have reported a positive relationship
    between saturated fatty acid
    intake and risk of CHD and CHD mortality

Incorrect, when you pool the high quality epidemiology studies into a meta analysis, the association disappears.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

Sat fat increases big fluffy LDL, which so far has been shown to be benign. The research is very much in it's infancy but it's the small-dense or oxidised LDL that seems to create the type of unstable heart plaques that lead to a heart attack.

Just wait about ten years and you'll be saying you knew this all along. That's what people who promoted transfats in the 1960's as the 'heart healthy' alternative are saying now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thomas Magnum

Incorrect, when you pool the high quality epidemiology studies into a meta analysis, the association disappears.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

Is a study funded by the National Dairy Council really unbiased?

Advertisement