Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High protein LOW carb.. HELP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Transform wrote: »
    maybe but any obese clients i have worked with knew EXACTLY what they were doing wrong and almost ALL of the 'just overweight' clients did also.

mbiking123 - you need to back off a little. there is some solid advice here if you can look beyond atkins as you might think you know it and look at low carb nutrition in general

So what type of work do you do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

mbiking123 wrote: »
    So what type of work do you do ?
    the kind of work that involves on a daily basis helping people drop fat and get fit. been doing it for a while now so might have a qualified word or two to say on the matter

the kind of work that involves on a daily basis helping people drop fat and get fit. been doing it for a while now so might have a qualified word or two to say on the matter

Gym instructor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

Do you underatand how to make your appetite decrease ?

Yes.

Since I switched to a lower carb and higher fat diet my appetite has decreased. High fat foods keep me sated for longer and I end up eating less than when I used to eat high carb.

moonage wrote: »
    Yes.

Since I switched to a lower carb and higher fat diet my appetite has decreased. High fat foods keep me sated for longer and I end up eating less than when I used to eat high carb.

an even better way is to get your body used to eating less. An obese person has a larger stomack, by reducing what you eat you can get the stomack to go back to normal. Dont need to eat as much to get that full feeling
    As the degree of obesity increases, the likelihood of binge eating also increases (8) and may help explain why the gastric capacity in morbidly obese individuals is so large (1). Of course, gastric restriction operations for the severely obese drastically reduce capacity and lead to substantial weight loss (9). Dieting also leads to reduced gastric capacity
    http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v9/n11/full/oby200198a.html

• Advertisement

Got the answer myself - personal trainer

Well I have no financial interest in this thread, unlike others which I suspect is the reason for the hostility. In any case lifestyle changes

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/76646.php
    Lifestyle changes, not diets, are key to losing weight. It seems that new diet plans are published almost every day. Some of these diets might even help you lose weight. But many diets are so restrictive, either in calories or in variety, that they can be unhealthy in the long term.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Well I have no financial interest in this thread, unlike others which I suspect is the reason for the hostility. In any case lifestyle changes

Oh give over. Transform gives his advice on here FOR FREE.

All the advice in the stickies here is FOR FREE.

I work in medical research in and have no vested interests in low carb diets whatsoever except that it has enabled me to lose 60lb 5 years ago and keep it off, I now enjoy a wide range of starchy foods.

There is ZERO reason why carbohydrate restriction cannot be part of an overall lifestyle change.

Regarding vitamins and minerals a reduced calorie diet whatever the macro ratios is always deficient in something, if you don't think so then post up a daily menu and I'll tell you what it's deficient in.

Oh give over. Transform gives his advice on here FOR FREE.

I used plural not singular

others !

others !

Yeah, you've just reminded me to cash that kickback check from the Atkins foundation. :D Seriously, your argument is all over the shop. You advocate vague 'lifestyle changes', well duh! Every diet IS a lifestyle change, otherwise you wouldn't be changing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

others !

Pretty sure no one here has a vested interest in promoting atkins or low carb diets.

I'm finding that I'm healthier, I get full quicker and I don't 'waste' calories on things like bread or pasta that don't fill me up for the calories they provide.

To go back to transforms advice I think you should at least concider
    you need to back off a little. there is some solid advice here if you can look beyond atkins as you might think you know it and look at low carb nutrition in general

• Advertisement

Yeah, you've just reminded me to cash that kickback check from the Atkins foundation. :D Seriously, your argument is all over the shop. You advocate vague 'lifestyle changes', well duh! Every diet IS a lifestyle change, otherwise you wouldn't be changing anything.

no you are not serious, lifestyle change is more than just diet. lifestyle change includes diet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Are you seriously using BMI as an accurate measure for a healthy weight?

Jumpy wrote: »
    Are you seriously using BMI as an accurate measure for a healthy weight?

For me its an indication. Also use calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Kudos for keeping this argument up for 5 pages,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Kudos for keeping this argument up for 5 pages,

I'm going to have to argue with that it's only 4 pages for me:pac:

Orla K wrote: »
    I'm going to have to argue with that it's only 4 pages for me:pac:

2 for me.. noobs.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

The hostility?

On several occasions you have made generic claims about low-carb nutrition being negative without using any valid evidence.

However, this is not the biggest problem.

The main problem, and the reason why you perhaps are sensing some hostility, is that you continue to refuse to listen to the evidence and scientifically sound opinions others are offering here.

Your reasoning for remaining steadfast in your opinion? One man who developed one style of low-carb dieting was overweight! Your logic is so flawed I don't know what more people can say to you. Close-mindedness is hard to overcome I suppose.

And to top it all off... you have now resorted to claiming that regular posters here (who have given so much to this forum) are only going against your claims because they have a hidden agenda linked to their own monetary gain. Both ridiculous and offensive in equal measure.

danlen wrote: »

Your reasoning for remaining steadfast in your opinion? One man who developed one style of low-carb dieting was overweight! Your logic is so flawed I don't know what more people can say to you. Close-mindedness is hard to overcome I suppose.

that was a comment, not the basis of the argument

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

that was a comment, not the basis of the argument

Dude, maybe you should sit down and shut up and maybe you'll learn something. Someone like you arrives in this forum every few months, declaiming about this and that with no science or evidence to back up your claims. A lot of the people here really do know what they're talking about and can bombard you with scientific papers backing up their views.

"The beginning of wisdom is admitting you know nothing"

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Dude, maybe you should sit down and shut up and maybe you'll learn something. Someone like you arrives in this forum every few months

Oops looks like I gate crashed a private party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Oops looks like I gate crashed a private party

Yep, the "not knowing what the **** you're talking about party" is somewhere else, near the "I don't have to back-up any of my claims party"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Mbking - you have had a handful of studies throw at you disproving your 'theories'. Yet, i think i saw you had one posted up? The charter states that if you re going to talk smack - prove it! :)

Also, on a different note, I lost 6 stone and I think there is hardly a day in my life where i have only eaten to 6pm. I usually eat at 10 or 11, sometimes 12 when im back in the door, off to bed and up for 7 or 8, yet I lost 6 stone. OMFG!

Mbking - you have had a handful of studies throw at you disproving your 'theories'. Yet, i think i saw you had one posted up? The charter states that if you re going to talk smack - prove it! :)

Also, on a different note, I lost 6 stone and I think there is hardly a day in my life where i have only eaten to 6pm. I usually eat at 10 or 11, sometimes 12 when im back in the door, off to bed and up for 7 or 8, yet I lost 6 stone. OMFG!

Ya and probably put on 10 stone

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Yep, the "not knowing what the **** you're talking about party" is somewhere else, near the "I don't have to back-up any of my claims party"

tetchy - 'its my party' Lesley Gore does not have a look in on you guys

Ya and probably put on 10 stone

Fraid to disappoint, lost the weight and long term too :)

Anyway, its a good time to remember attack the post and NOT the poster, if the thread keeps getting derailed by unsubstantiated responses and continue to become more personnel, il have no trouble popping out bans, but i dont want to, lets get back to helping the OP. Thanks.

Back to question

MyProtein (in my opinion) is the cheapest of the whey protein. This will provide lots of protein but to me is a waste unless you exercise properly, get the heart rate up etc. then take the protein during the recovery period to get the full benefit
    http://www.wheyprotein.com/healthbenefits.html

For the protein bars the saturated fats are quiet high in fact a fifth of the recommended daily allowance. Has 4.4g - daily allowance 24g. Just one of the things to look out for

http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/mybar-high-pro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Back to question

MyProtein (in my opinion) is the cheapest of the whey protein. This will provide lots of protein but to me is a waste unless you exercise properly, get the heart rate up etc. then take the protein during the recovery period to get the full benefit

For the protein bars the saturated fats are quiet high in fact a fifth of the recommended daily allowance. Has 4.4g - daily allowance 24g. Just one of the things to look out for

oh mother of god please stop you are so off the mark on so many points.

Like saturated fat is in any way an issue.

Dude get off your soap box because your lack of understanding the basics is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Back to question

Just stop man, you don't have a clue, your coming across as being very ill-informed.

But worst of all other poster may listen to you or believe you.

oh mother of god please stop you are so off the mark on so many points.

Like saturated fat is in any way an issue.

Dude get off your soap box because your lack of understanding the basics is shocking

? not an issue

• Advertisement

? not an issue

Not at all compared to what's still been pushed in mainstream media. Been scientifically de-bunked numerous times and mainstream nutrition is very very very slowly catching on to this fact. When im at home il post up various papers.

It's trans fat that people need to be very wary of, heat treated fats and veg fats and oils, not saturated fat in and off itself. Coconut is very saturated in fat, so is butter - these are not bad things. Irish butter is a good source of selenium that we lack here and K2 which has great importance working with Vit D3 and magnesium. I don't need to get into the details on coconut oil these days, its seems to have gone mainstream in and off inself

Advertisement