Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Official Server

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

what's this place? How come it's outside the map? Not that I'd wanna go there, looks like a dump :pac:

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/CEZRn.jpg[/IMG]

I have a great idea, build a prison there and put people there who misbehave :pac:

Also, when people say they want to reset the map, does that mean get rid of everything that's been created goes and a brand new map starts? If so, that's ridiculous. The map isn't even remotely close to been explored. everything under the town is done I imagine yes but branching out there's still plenty to do. Can you move the spawn point maybe to get a town started somewhere else?

Also, Ireland...shame. Reality check kicks in for a lot of people but our fans are unreal :)

Yes resetting the map is start a whole new world with nothing but the skin on your back.

The thing about resetting the map is it keeps things fresh, alot of people are getting bored at this stage, though all this talk is preventing people from starting big projects...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I have a great idea, build a prison there and put people there who misbehave :pac:

Yes resetting the map is start a whole new world with nothing but the skin on your back.

The thing about resetting the map is it keeps things fresh, alot of people are getting bored at this stage,

Then they should go and play on server that refreshes more often ?

I for one would be unlikely to continue to play if there's a another reset so soon. The logic seems to be to fill spawn with building and then sit back any wait for the next update. What's stopping those people who want to build new things on the existing server? What is it that 1.3 would give them that they can't continue without on the current map?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

alot of people are getting bored at this stage

A lot of people are getting bored?!? are you serious? The amount of the map that is still around, waiting to be excavated. The amount of projects that could be completed. People are getting bored?!? That's like getting this for Christmas...

10143+Death+Star+II+Box+%2528WM%2529.jpg

building this...

2_duplo_lego_bricks.jpg

then complaining you're bored?!?

If you could reset the spawn into a spot that is untouched, I'd be more than happy setting up there, just build an epic railway to the town at present and happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

O_O REALLY BIG PICTURE

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

The thing about resetting the map is it keeps things fresh, alot of people are getting bored at this stage, though all this talk is preventing people from starting big projects...

I made a prison! only used 2 times properly tho.

Also the map thing is true although some people can find it very frustrating to have their work removed. I for one don't see it as that bad At present moment, could change in future if i make anything nice :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Can you add

say_what_again

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

deconduo wrote: »
    Someone got there somehow, and it rendered before the world border kicked in I suppose.
    One of us must have added an extra 0 when we were tp'ing around the place.

Also, about the map being reset...
    Minecraft is easy, especially so when there's a bunch of people to help you out online. After a while, no matter how skilled or not you are at the game, you acquire enough materials and are so self sufficient that it just becomes more like creative and all of the 'survival' is taken out of it. People stop coming on because they've already accomplished everything they set out to and so the map kind of falls into a state of disarray.
    It's usually at this point we do a map reset. Everyone starts off with nothing again and they have to work to survive.

The map is always available for download after a reset and we do discuss things about the map for a while after it is taken down, so don't worry, all your creations are immortalised and talked about. Plus, with the amount of content that 1.3 is adding and the fact that it's changing how the game is actually run it seems like a good time to do a reset. Keep in mind this won't be immediately when 1.3 comes out. We tend to wait a few weeks to make sure any major bugs are fixed, and most importantly the plugins we need are updated (or in this case maybe completely rewritten).

So in short, there isn't a reset in the works for at least another month or so.

It seems that alot of the new people are complaining about the reset , while people on the server for a long time are willing ?:confused:?

Better start using my diamonds then so :pac:

A lot of people are getting bored?!? are you serious? The amount of the map that is still around, waiting to be excavated. The amount of projects that could be completed. People are getting bored?!? That's like getting this for Christmas...

BIG FECK OFF PIC

building this...

LEGO

then complaining you're bored?!?

If you could reset the spawn into a spot that is untouched, I'd be more than happy setting up there, just build an epic railway to the town at present and happy days!

No TBH you've got it all wrong, suppose you get the lego death star (Awesome BTW) for christmas , you build it and your so proud of it.

Then What? :confused: Are you just going to sit there and stare at the thing for years on end or are you going to break it apart and try build something completely different.

There are so many people on this server where the map isn't a challenge anymore, i remember being fecking terrified of skeletons and spiders for ages because i had almost no food, no Armour and a stone sword.

Now we're all running around in diamond Armour with enchanted swords with stacks of food.

It seems that alot of the new people are complaining about the reset , while people on the server for a long time are willing ?:
    Well, that I imagine is exactly it. Some people, myself included, are really only getting started. I have my house and enough materials sorted but only starting to explore my mine. some people are still in their 3*3 huts!

My solution is instead of all the seasoned users to call for a map reset, set up camp in a remote area of the map that's unexplored. Set up a rail system to connect the old town so you can pop in to say hello :). I know a lot of people are set up pretty handily at the moment with a crazy amount of diamonds, etc. but if you want a real survival experience, just move to a new town and throw your materials in lava. Don't reset the whole town cause there are people just starting and could really contribute to the map in their own way.

If you bought a house with an acre of land in the back, you wouldn't make a 2m squared rookery, admire it, then move house would you?

ps don't throw your diamonds in lava, buzz up to my gaf...I suck yo dick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Well, that I imagine is exactly it. Some people, myself included, are really only getting started. I have my house and enough materials sorted but only starting to explore my mine. some people are still in their 3*3 huts!

My solution is instead of all the seasoned users to call for a map reset, set up camp in a remote area of the map that's unexplored. Set up a rail system to connect the old town so you can pop in to say hello :). I know a lot of people are set up pretty handily at the moment with a crazy amount of diamonds, etc. but if you want a real survival experience, just move to a new town and throw your materials in lava. Don't reset the whole town cause there are people just starting and could really contribute to the map in their own way.

If you bought a house with an acre of land in the back, you wouldn't make a 2m squared rookery, admire it, then move house would you?

ps don't throw your diamonds in lava, buzz up to my gaf...I suck yo dick!

That's not a bad idea. Or build a nether railway and end up somewhere completely random.

The map is limited in size, and from flying around and teleporting to random places, I've seen that most of it actually is explored. Going through underground areas and finding torches people placed months ago, leading into tunnels people had only dug the previous day. All from areas that seemed completely untouched.

The people that have been here for a while simply leaving and moving onto somewhere else isn't that compelling of an argument really. If you have a chest full of diamonds and a massive pimped out house, you aren't going to be leaving that thing any time soon. There's always new players and so there's always going to be people at different stages in the game, ranging from just starting out in a little mud hut, to sitting on a diamond throne, so where do we draw the line? If we just relocate veteran players elsewhere all the time then it gets a bit ridiculous and we'd have the same map indefinitely.

Also, we always let you guys know when a restart is coming with at least a weeks notice. It's not like one day you'll just sign in and everything is different.

The map is limited in size, and from flying around and teleporting to random places, I've seen that most of it actually is explored. Going through underground areas and finding torches people placed months ago, leading into tunnels people had only dug the previous day. All from areas that seemed completely untouched.

The people that have been here for a while simply leaving and moving onto somewhere else isn't that compelling of an argument really. If you have a chest full of diamonds and a massive pimped out house, you aren't going to be leaving that thing any time soon. There's always new players and so there's always going to be people at different stages in the game, ranging from just starting out in a little mud hut, to sitting on a diamond throne, so where do we draw the line? If we just relocate veteran players elsewhere all the time then it gets a bit ridiculous and we'd have the same map indefinitely.

Also, we always let you guys know when a restart is coming with at least a weeks notice. It's not like one day you'll just sign in and everything is different.
    Well if that's the way it is then fair dues. sorry but I'm new to multiplayer, it's just that I hate to see so much work that people have done go to waste and lets face it that is what'll happen, even if maps are saved, nobody's going to view them. It'll be like my bebo, full of brilliance but nobody to see it.

Well if that's the way it is then fair dues. sorry but I'm new to multiplayer, it's just that I hate to see so much work that people have done go to waste and lets face it that is what'll happen, even if maps are saved, nobody's going to view them. It'll be like my bebo, full of brilliance but nobody to see it.
    You'd be surprised. There's been a few people posting asking who built stuff in really obscure areas no one saw when the map was up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Whoever built the monstrosity at X-36, Z-43 should really tear it down. What's the point, this isn't a freebuild server? It's even worse than the inverted pyramid on the first map.

Also, cool, my old house is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Botulism wrote: »
    Also, cool, my old house is still there.

Just about... last time I was there I felt like I was the unseen co star in "I am Legend" going through a ransacked house.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Well I've only been on it less then a month and I've built quite a good bit, also easily collected over 300 diamonds.. Not that hard tbh to get started.

Altho I'd like to see us stay on this, but sure whatever happens, happens.

You just don't want to leave that fortune 3 diamond pickaxe behind maka :P

If you have a chest full of diamonds and a massive pimped out house, you aren't going to be leaving that thing any time soon.

Isn't it an endless cycle then? Imagine we reset for 1.3 and start over again (it'll be my 4th restart) it won't be too long before some people have chest full of diamonds and great houses again who will be looking for another restart.

I believe that a map reset should only be due to an update that brings something new to the game. The last reset among other things doubled the hight of the ceiling and that for me was enough of a game-changer to justify a new map. Resetting because some people are bored is going to lead to newer players leaving the server to go somewhere more stable (IMHO).

Of course it probably does depend on playing styles. I couldn't care less about having a pimped-out house. I'm more interested in redstone, pistons and rails and haven't been to spawn more than twice in the past 3 months. If I was told that 1.3 was coming with a pvp or factions mod then I'd be all for it. Or a map that was designed by someone (as opposed to a random seed) where certain resources are concentrated in different regions of the map forcing people to travel to get them.

Ponster wrote: »
    Isn't it an endless cycle then? Imagine we reset for 1.3 and start over again (it'll be my 4th restart) it won't be too long before some people have chest full of diamonds and great houses again who will be looking for another restart.

I believe that a map reset should only be due to an update that brings something new to the game. The last reset among other things doubled the hight of the ceiling and that for me was enough of a game-changer to justify a new map. Resetting because some people are bored is going to lead to newer players leaving the server to go somewhere more stable (IMHO).

Of course it probably does depend on playing styles. I couldn't care less about having a pimped-out house. I'm more interested in redstone, pistons and rails and haven't been to spawn more than twice in the past 3 months. If I was told that 1.3 was coming with a pvp or factions mod then I'd be all for it. Or a map that was designed by someone (as opposed to a random seed) where certain resources are concentrated in different regions of the map forcing people to travel to get them.

Yes but 1.3 is changing the way minecraft works. Its combining single player and multiplayer together as well as adding a mod api.

If we never reset the map then we'd still be playing in beta :pac: . Honestly i think the map will be around for at least another two months, We still have to wait for 1.3 to be released , have all the mods/plugins updated and then the admins will give us notice of the reset.

• Advertisement

Yes but 1.3 is changing the way minecraft works. Its combining single player and multiplayer together as well as adding a mod api.

Will either of those things have an impact on the actual multiplayer experience though ?

I think that if it was another few months then it'd be fine. How long as this map been running?

Ponster wrote: »
    Will either of those things have an impact on the actual multiplayer experience though ?

I think that if it was another few months then it'd be fine. How long as this map been running?

well i joined at the start of march and this map was set up a good few weeks before that so its been going for about 4 months (complete guesstimate)

So there is a decent life span of each map , its not like they get reset every few weeks or anything.

I just really hope the spawn isn't beside a mountain this time :o

*Edit looks like this map was set up around the 5th of March , i joined around two weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

scaled.php?server=28&filename=boards.png&res=landing
    scaled.php?server=577&filename=boards2a.png&res=landing
    scaled.php?server=194&filename=73268.png&res=landing

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    scaled.php?server=28&filename=boards.png&res=landing
    scaled.php?server=577&filename=boards2a.png&res=landing
    scaled.php?server=194&filename=73268.png&res=landing

It's 11 in the morning?

People at work? School? College? Bed?

There was 8-9 of us online last night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BX 19 wrote: »

It's 11 in the morning?

I've been on nearly every morning because it suits me better, normally it's empty but the odd time someone strays on

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

It's 11 in the morning?

I think that Steve was actually running for Win Xp . Come on, there's rc Win 8 out now!

Modding API won't be to 1.4 according to their wiki.

Bring on Factions! Think it would be fun to add in a little conflict over the resources of the map. With people talking about the huge amount of resources they have I think ponster's designed map idea is good. Perhaps we could use a seed with more limited resources to make this more challenging. Like bland said the survival part at the start is. funest and afterwards people are bored.

Factions would be excellent. Auto divide teams to keep the balance fair.

Forts, Castles, Raiding parties? Would be brilliant. I used to hang about on the Reddit Survival servers and pvp was rife. Very little safe places.

I came back to my hovel one day and someone had wired it with TNT :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Farcheal wrote: »
    I think that Steve was actually running for Win Xp . Come on, there's rc Win 8 out now!

Modding API won't be to 1.4 according to their wiki.

Bring on Factions! Think it would be fun to add in a little conflict over the resources of the map. With people talking about the huge amount of resources they have I think ponster's designed map idea is good. Perhaps we could use a seed with more limited resources to make this more challenging. Like bland said the survival part at the start is. funest and afterwards people are bored.

I've been on another server with Factions and I must say its quite interesting. What happened is that the server is multiworld. There was a hidden platform to teleport to this other world which was more abundant in resources. First to get there obviously claimed the land around it. The teleportation zone was laid with traps for invading factions. We were under attack and they TNT'd the traps and built a bridge over the area before the rest of the army tp'd in.

We got devastated. Our buildings were destroyed and looted. Our leader admitted defeat and our faction was banished to the other world to a mined-out desert. Was great fun. Only downside was it brought a lot of arguments and broke the community a bit. The server fell by the wayside after a while and now the only people that inhabit it are new faces that are destined to fight to their deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

It's 11 in the morning?

I know, but its still funny to think there is someone in the server building things all alone :)

• Advertisement

Its not bad on your own. You can sleep and reset it to day :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement