Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic vs. Manual

Options
  • 07-12-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

In the states they drive almost exclusively auto cars, where as here pretty much everyone buys and drives manual. In my life I have only known three people that drove automatic cars, 1 had a disability, 1 couldn't or wouldn't more likely get the hang of the gears, and the last well, the car was given to them when they were stuck for one.

I personally could never see myself driving automatic, they are slower than manual (as long as gear changes are made properly), if you do your test in an auto then you are forever stuck with them and they cost an arm and a leg to fix when they break. Why would anyone choose one?:confused:

Do you think we will see a rise in the amount of automatic cars and if so why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Why would anyone choose one?:confused:
    Because they can't afford a decent engine for auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm driving an auto now.

I'm not American and I don't have a disability, I'm just too damn lazy to change gear myself any more. Why should I when I don't have to?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Auto cars over here usually serve a purpose, as in a disabled driver, a professional driver or taxi person, or for someone that does a lot of city driving. They usually cost more than the manual option and generally have lower fuel economy. We are well used to manuals so they are the de facto choice, and I don't see any reason why autos would somehow become more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mossir

In the states they drive almost exclusively auto cars, where as here pretty much everyone buys and drives manual. In my life I have only known three people that drove automatic cars, 1 had a disability, 1 couldn't or wouldn't more likely get the hang of the gears, and the last well, the car was given to them when they were stuck for one.

I personally could never see myself driving automatic, they are slower than manual (as long as gear changes are made properly), if you do your test in an auto then you are forever stuck with them and they cost an arm and a leg to fix when they break. Why would anyone choose one?:confused:

Do you think we will see a rise in the amount of automatic cars and if so why?[/Qu
    auto is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I've driven both and like both. Completely different style of driving though and still prefer a manual but when in America I like autos. Just sit and point the car in the right direction!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'm driving an auto now.

I'm not American and I don't have a disability, I'm just too damn lazy to change gear myself any more. Why should I when I don't have to?

Shocking, a longterm user posting and driving at the same time!

i'll get my coat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Easier to drive, not everyone wants speed, if you're doing a commute into town often, what's better? Having that extra bit of speed, or not having to do 500 gear changes?
    No problems you get from someone who "think" they can drive their car, but they're actually revving to high or letting the clutch slip to much, or not dropping a gear.
    You're not stuck with one forever if you do a test in one! You can do your test again in a manual!
    And I know a few people that have them and they wouldn't bother with a manual again. Personally, I'd reccommend the manual licence first so you have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I personally could never see myself driving automatic, they are slower than manual

Slower? Where have you been the last two decades? Modern autos have the same on paper performance as manual cars. But in the real world the automatic is much quicker. Unless you are a professional racing driver and don't mind changing the clutch every 10 times you accelerate :p

I personally could never see myself driving automatic, they are slower than manual (as long as gear changes are made properly),..................

Flat out you're right but on a twisty road most drivers have enough to do with steering the car, in identical cars one manual one auto with Joe Soap drivers the auto might well make much better progress on a challenging road.

Loads and loads of cars are auto nowadays.

I've had two, a Prelude and my current ZT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A few people that have them and they wouldn't bother with a manual again.

Me.

I would recommend everybody does their test in a manual, to have that option. Otherwise, this is like any number of other internet debates; Mac vs. PC, Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Atari Jaguar vs. everything else. Both sides will trot out the same rock solid reasons for their choice and the same foolproof facts debunking the other choice.

And then the auto team will be declared the winners and we can move on to a fresh foglight debate :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Dsg is the way to go..much quicker than any race driver in a manual and also more fuel efficient..I really regret changing my dsg for a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Same here for my 520D which I got in manual...I always thought auto was for pussies but sorry now I ignored the advice on here..gear changes are a pain in the a$$ especially on normal roads with the 520d..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

We've had this debate here many, many times!

Do we really need to do it again!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

delly wrote: »
    Shocking, a longterm user posting and driving at the same time!

Free left hand now you see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Same here for my 520D which I got in manual...I always thought auto was for pussies but sorry now I ignored the advice on here..gear changes are a pain in the a$$ especially on normal roads with the 520d..

Thats cos diesels in particular have horrible power delivery that needs to be hidden and removed from the user with a good auto with as many gears as possible (6 minimum).

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

previously i disliked auto gearbox alot but after driving an 01 s80 with this gearbox for a while i totally take it back

i get less annoyed when i drive an auto because my legs don't hurt from pressin the clutch every 2 damn minutes and i can relax behind the wheel even in bloody traffic ;]

So, I like manual but I also like auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I used to prefer a manual over an automatic. But now I prefer having one single gear, no gears to change makes for a smoother ride :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have an Auto and won't go back. Its a bit harder on juice but the easy driving especially round town more than makes up for it.

There was a time that I said I wouldn’t ever drive an automatic. Then I went to the states and I hired a Ford Taurus, and I thought, well this is quite nice. Then I worked with a load of sales guys who all raved about their autos, one of them had a nice CLK cabriolet, I borrowed it for a day and thought, feck this, I’m getting an auto. So I bought a Volvo S60 2.0T, and I never ever looked back (insert wing mirror pun here). That car is a rocket and there aren’t many manuals (ok, drivers) that would get away from the lights as fast as it. So now my mam, dad, husband and sister all drive autos having seen the light.

Unfortunately my car is sick and I’m on the lookout for a new one, but I know one thing for sure, I won’t be going back to a manual – ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Auto/DSG all the way.. haven't driven a manual in years and now that we Irish are finally seeing the light with regards to cars like Merc E classes, BMW 5s, Audi A4/A6s etc I won't have to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Ferrari have stopped making manuals altogether, the California was the last model to be made auto-only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

they are still fast, my civic does 0 to 60 in 5 secs, there are alot of misconceptions when it comes to auto gears but IMO there would be alot less accidents if we had more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

But now I prefer having one single gear, no gears to change makes for a smoother ride :D

So you either have an electric car or a BMX ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Do you think we will see a rise in the amount of automatic cars and if so why?

I first had an automatic car in the mid 90's when I was about 24, it was a 1991 W124 300TE, I was looking for one for a while in manual but this one came up for sale from a friends father so I got it. It used about 10% more petrol than a manual but since then I've never looked back, auto is the only way to go, especially if you have a 2l + engine. They are far more relaxing to drive, in town and country and newer ones are way better than the one I had. Since then the only manuals I've had were either classics, sports cars or vans. For a private car I would never buy a manual.

They don't cost an arm and a leg to fix, old ones rarely broke and there is no clutch to fix either. Admittedly newer ones may have elctonic, hydraulic or other problems but manuals can be crap too.
    they are still fast, my civic does 0 to 60 in 5 secs, there are alot of misconceptions when it comes to auto gears but IMO there would be alot less accidents if we had more here.

Accidents here are due to a lot of reasons, I've no idea how an having more automatics would change much. A twat in a car is a twat, doesn't make any difference if its manual or automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Auto/DSG all the way.. haven't driven a manual in years and now that we Irish are finally seeing the light with regards to cars like Merc E classes, BMW 5s, Audi A4/A6s etc I won't have to :)

I drive a 2006 E220 CDI and spent 6 months waiting for the right manual to come on the market.

It's a personal choice, but I would never like an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I just changed my beloved 04 Alfa GT, JTD, Manual for a 08 Mazda 6, petrol Automatic.

Now I seriously loved that Alfa but it was time for a change (2 years is the longest I've ever owned a car.. thats what Alfa will do to ya :D ).

The clutch on the Alfa was heavy and with the amount of city driving I'm doing neither diesel or manual made sense.

Anyway moral of the story is only got the Mazda on Monday and absolutely loving the automatic. Has tiptronic too for my hankering for manual(ish) driving.

Pics to follow on the pics thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It's like everything. It depends on the application!
    I can't for the life of me understand why people who have to spend most of their time in traffic bother with a manual. Also, there's no such thing as a properly decent manual box in a diesel, so I reckon almost all diesels should be Auto.
    After that, depends on the car and it's forté...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

On my first auto and couldn't see myself changing back to manual again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

ok so if we have such a large number of auto enthusiasts then maybe few tips from fellow users on how to spot a problematic auto gearbox, as I'm on the lookout for a nice auto saloon out there ;]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Have driven many autos;
    L322 Range Rover 3.0
    Mercedes E Class 200 Supercharged
    Range Rover p38 2.5 Auto.

Would not touch a manual auto is the way forward.

Have Driven both manual and auto p38. Auto much better!

Only downside is you cant pull start. :(
    Apart from that all good...

Oh, and auto is much quicker off the lights.

Advertisement