Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the hype over budget. It wasnt bad at all!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

BlackBlade wrote: »
    the people who can afford to have a bank account and the banks should be paying for this mess

I'm 20, a student, with a job to pay my own way through college because I'm not eligible for a grant. Because of my job, I pay taxes, and have to have a bank account to get paid. Should I be paying back this debt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

BlackBlade wrote: »
    the people who can afford to have a bank account and the banks should be paying for this mess

Sorry, not everyone can get paid by the post office. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Biggins wrote: »
    The upping on taxes on cars, transport, oil, gas, carbon tax, new house tax, general VAT etc is where ALL is going to be additional hit.
    On any single ESB, gas or oil bill, there will be in increase of VAT and Carbon tax, for example.

By the time tomorrow is over, if anyone thinks the Budget is easy, its my opinion they are off their head or trying to stir it!

In addition to the 14% ESB increase and 21% gas increase that they landed on us in October!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Groinshot wrote: »
    I'm 20, a student, with a job to pay my own way through college because I'm not eligible for a grant. Because of my job, I pay taxes, and have to have a bank account to get paid. Should I be paying back this debt?

No you shouldnt but what you should do is get your degree and leave you owe nothing to this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

part 1 of the budget was p!ss poor, and didnt go halfway far enough.
    there needed to be a proper slash n burn with welfare payments, but just like their predecessors, they didnt have the balls to make the unpopular decisions.

hopefully there's a good rake of taxes tomorrow to make up for it, preferably CGT, DIRT, and the usual petrol, fags and booze.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Black Cow

What I don't understand is how people could possibly be blaming Enda Kenny & FG for any of this. It makes no sense. The country got into the state it's in under Fianna Fail - Enda was handed the helm of a sinking ship and is trying his best to save it. It baffles me that even FF have the neck to have a go at FG over these cuts! It was them who got us here - WTF? Just this morning "Fianna Fáil's Justice Spokesman Dara Calleary" was having a go. :confused:

The same thing happened Obama - Bush f*cked the US financially, handed it over to Obama at the start of a world recession, and Obama took all the flack!

Black Cow wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how people could possibly be blaming Enda Kenny & FG for any of this. The country got into the state it's in under Fianna Fail. It baffles me that even FF have the neck to have a go at FG over these cuts! It was them who got us here - WTF?

I blame fg for making cuts yet increasing the pay of their advisors. Pretty simple really.

part 1 of the budget was p!ss poor, and didnt go halfway far enough.
    there needed to be a proper slash n burn with welfare payments, but just like their predecessors, they didnt have the balls to make the unpopular decisions.

hopefully there's a good rake of taxes tomorrow to make up for it, preferably CGT, DIRT, and the usual petrol, fags and booze.

Yea that will get people spending!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I blame fg for making cuts yet increasing the pay of their advisors. Pretty simple really.

Right - so you blame FG and not FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Why exactly are you hoping that they hammer the working class? Remember it is us that pays the bloody Social Welfare bill and as usual we're the easy targets. You know what, let's all pack it in and sign on. F*ck it, no-one else seems to give a sh*t.

• Advertisement

Right - so you blame FG and not FF?

I blame ff for the need to make cuts in general. I blame FG for making cuts that will affect social mobility and I think Enda kenny should be ashamed of himself for going on about our national debt yet giving his advisor a raise.

I blame ff for the need to make cuts in general. I blame FG for making cuts that will affect social mobility and I think Enda kenny should be ashamed of himself for going on about our national debt yet giving his advisor a raise.

Right then - hit me with your version of the budget that will make everyone happy & will not "affect social mobility".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    That budget was grand. I was expecting much much worse. Seems like a few cuts here and there but nothing major.

Agreed or am I missing something?

You are missing something.

Right then - hit me with your version of the budget that will make everyone happy & will not "affect social mobility".

Im not into making everyone happy Im into doing something as simple as not raising my advisors pay while reducing the income of some of the poorest members of our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

+ 1

Getting sick and tired of people blaming FF. We get it, we know they were responsible but now it is time to move the fu*k on! I suppose FG take comfort in this though.....erra shure we'll just keep on fu*king over the public and they'll keep blaming FF!!

As was stated by Steddyeddy, it is the fact that Kenny gave his advisor that pay increase while cutting funding to the most vulnerable is what is so absolutely galling! The rich just keep on getting richer. These politicans are so far removed from reality I'm surprised they don't start every speech with "once upon a time in a land far far away..."

I would happily take the cuts if these people were forced to suffer along with us....you know like any true leaders worth their salt would. What we are seeing is the other side of the same coin. FF/FG, really no fu*king difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What I don't understand is how people could possibly be blaming Enda Kenny & FG for any of this. It makes no sense. The country got into the state it's in under Fianna Fail - Enda was handed the helm of a sinking ship and is trying his best to save it. It baffles me that even FF have the neck to have a go at FG over these cuts! It was them who got us here - WTF? Just this morning "Fianna Fáil's Justice Spokesman Dara Calleary" was having a go. :confused:

The same thing happened Obama - Bush f*cked the US financially, handed it over to Obama at the start of a world recession, and Obama took all the flack!

Because Vardkar and others said they'd burn the bondholders.

FF pointed out how stupid that was but soundbytes stick in people's minds.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Im not into making everyone happy Im into doing something as simple as not raising my advisors pay while reducing the income of some of the poorest members of our society.

No, you're into criticising everything yet you have no alternative. How can you criticise someone else's solution, when you offer nothing yourself? "That's sh*t", waah, waah, "they're screwing us", "typical", blah blah.

K-9 wrote: »
    FF pointed out how stupid that was but soundbytes stick in people's minds.

Yeah, FF seem to offer a lot of 'advice' lately... Let's look at the credentials & track record of those offering it. Oh yeah; they're the f*ckwits that got us here.

Remind me again; how long were Fianna Fail in power? 22 of the last 24 years - they oversaw the entire demise of our economy. How long has FG been in power? 8 months - yet people blame them for having to make necessary cuts in order to pay back a loan that FF took out.

Here's the thing - I didn't even vote Fianna Gael - I'm not a FG fanboy at all - I'm just a realist - FG caused none of this, yet people are blaming them for having to make cuts that they never triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

The big part is tomorrow

Oh god yea!

Water charges/ Property tax / Income tax increases

:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, FF seem to offer a lot of 'advice' lately... Let's look at the credentials & track record of those offering it. Oh yeah; they're the f*ckwits that got us here.

Remind me again; how long were Fianna Fail in power? 22 of the last 24 years - they oversaw the entire demise of our economy. How long has FG been in power? 8 months - yet people blame them for having to make necessary cuts in order to pay back a loan that FF took out.

Here's the thing - I didn't even vote Fianna Gael - I'm not a FG fanboy at all - I'm just a realist - FG caused none of this, yet people are blaming them for having to make cuts that they never triggered.

Okay, nice rant.

The relevant facts are Varadkar said we can burn the bondholders. When FG were brought to task on it by FF, could have been anybody btw, FG backtracked and said, couldn't be done without EU agreement.

FF didn't do a lot in the last GE, but that's one thing they got right. They called FG's bluster on it. Nothing since has proved them wrong.

Now myself did listen and watch the GE campaign and knew Varadkar was bull****ting. Unfortunately many don't and think Varadkar was speaking for FG.

I'm a fan of facts in general elections, not bull****ting. Maybe so many people wouldn't feel so let down. Pointless exercise as it is hence SF and ULA, Wallace etc. being so popular

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

No, you're into criticising everything yet you have no alternative. How can you criticise someone else's solution, when you offer nothing yourself? "That's sh*t", waah, waah, "they're screwing us", "typical", blah blah.

Read my previous post. Their cutting my postgraduate grant and Im ok with it. Ill say it again the man (enda) was simply thick to give his advisor a pay rise while cutting winter fuel allowance which the elderly rely on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

people can learn from mistakes in fact it is the way most of us do learn, we do it wrong and then say "well that didn't work i'll try it this way instead" also as opposition it is their job to offer alternative advice to the government.
    Remind me again; how long were Fianna Fail in power? 22 of the last 24 years - .

There was a very good reason for that. Nobody trusted FG ever (and rightly so imo) enough to vote for them, they trusted FF, FF let them down badly hence why people are so upset and angry.
    FG caused none of this, yet people are blaming them for having to make cuts that they never triggered.

people are blaming them because they refuse to take responsibility FG made this budget these are their choices, they are the wrong ones, they could have taxed high income earners, maybe half salaries of TD's....etc they chose to take money from the heating allowances, college students, large families on the breadline.....etc

along with their choices to raise their allowances/privileges...etc which were already ridiculously high to beyond what even FF gave themselves, its mind boggling how people can excuse and accept this behaviour,

personally i feel like people let FF take the piss for years and turned a blind eye, now they are doing the same thing with FG.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    they could have taxed high income earners, maybe half salaries of TD's....etc they chose to take money from the heating allowances, college students, large families on the breadline.....etc

The usual ignorant rabble. Work it out for me - halfing TDs salaries (and I'm not saying they shouldn't) - but how much would it save in monetary terms? You think doing this and taxing higher earners would negate the need for any of those other cuts you mentioned? :rolleyes:

And taxing higher income earners is not a solution at all - it's a naive bunch of rabble spouted by the ignorant. The higher earners already contribute the most income tax. This would discourage entrepreneurs & companies setting up & investing here, because they get penalised for being too successful. Taxing higher earners won't stimulate jobs & economic growth - it'll stunt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭paddydu

does anybody know what happens if i start a ce scheme in the next couple of weeks, what will happen to my disability payment. Earlier this year when i was on a ce scheme i got the 208e and my disability allowance at a reduced rate of 144euro p/w. Would i still get that if i were to start a ce scheme now? I need to know because i have been offered one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

The usual ignorant rabble. Work it out for me - halfing TDs salaries (and I'm not saying they shouldn't) - but how much would it save in monetary terms? You think doing this and taxing higher earners would negate the need for any of those other cuts you mentioned? :rolleyes:

And taxing higher income earners is not a solution at all - it's a naive bunch of rabble spouted by the ignorant. The higher earners already contribute the most income tax. This would discourage entrepreneurs & companies setting up & investing here, because they get penalised for being too successful. Taxing higher earners won't stimulate jobs & economic growth - it'll stunt it.

wow ok they were just two examples i thought of in two seconds to make my point that FG had options, they know the situation, we don't have the same in-depth detail. they made the wrong choices, we know from history they always have done, and now people are turning on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Folks how about instead of the usual whining and moaning about what we all knew would be a tough budget, lets try to see it for what it is. The economy is not going to recover over night, as much as some of us seem to think it will. The government need to make some tough to decisions to fix the mess their predecessors left them with. I firmly believe that in the end it will be worth it and that Enda K is doing what is necessary. I certainly don't share this feeling that he is out to make us suffer. He has never once said it will be easy or that things will change overnight and I know that deep down the moaners know this, so lets stop pretending otherwise.

Yes we are entitled to be angry but lets direct our anger where it is warrented....at Fianna Fail, at Bertie and Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Folks how about instead of the usual whining and moaning about what we all knew would be a tough budget, lets try to see it for what it is. The economy is not going to recover over night, as much as some of us seem to think it will. The government need to make some tough to decisions to fix the mess their predecessors left them with. I firmly believe that in the end it will be worth it and that Enda K is doing what is necessary. I certainly don't share this feeling that he is out to make us suffer. He has never once said it will be easy or that things will change overnight and I know that deep down the moaners know this, so lets stop pretending otherwise.

Yes we are entitled to be angry but lets direct our anger where it is warrented....at Fianna Fail, at Bertie and Brian.

It's going to be easy for him though.

We all knew this was in store, that was for sure. But fairness - where is it?

They have allowed themselves an increase in expenses at a time when we are all cutting back. Enda also awarded a pay rise of 35,000 euro to an advisor to bring up his already fair wage of 92,000 to 127,000 a year.

This country was run on lies and deceit for the benefit of a select few. It was nothing but pure greed from the top in our country and we are fed that we all partied (and we all didn't) and we must now all share responsibilty and austerity. This greed is continuing with FG.

The abuse of power and control above from Enda's government is nothing short of betrayal at a time when we are faced with austerity - cuts and rises taxes, less services, reduced incomes due to unemployed or reduced hours, etc

Italy's new prime minister forfeited his wage as a mark of respect to the Italian people who are also faced with austerity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

pmcmahon wrote: »
    then leave your job and live on the dole since it's so easy to do.
    Nobody should have to leave their job just to make a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amarsaday

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    That budget was grand. I was expecting much much worse. Seems like a few cuts here and there but nothing major.

Agreed or am I missing something?
    Im earning 22k,(only job i could get since construction) family of six, mortgage, budget cuts of child benefit (840) Back to School (320) Fuel Allowance (120) School transport cost doubled, also cost of diesel has gone from 0.98c/litre to 1.45c/litre inthe last 4 years. I travel 300 miles a week. BTW im not complaining, this is my situation, good for you if you feel the budget wasnt too bad, however I would have to disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Biggins wrote: »
    800 guidance counsellors/teachers are to be cut.

How that helping job creation?

Good, any I have encountered were completely clueless and useless.

Advertisement