Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the hype over budget. It wasnt bad at all!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Biggins wrote: »
    MORE years cuts to come remember!

The general political opinion is that the Croke Park agreement now WILL have to be looked at.
    So far (I think because of Labour/Unions) FG was fearful of going near it.

But the public sector has already been raped Biggins. The elephant in the room for this country's expenditure is SW. We're far too generous compared to other EU countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I genuinely know one family alone that is fighting off debts as it is and has took to selling their jewellery and female clothes, to cover a few bills.
    There are those out there who can cope with the cuts - but - there is others too that is genuinely struggling right now, even before the next few days cuts kick in.

School leavers, fair play if ye stay but I can understand if you decide to go outside Ireland.
    Things are for all only going to get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Things are so bad, I might have to sell one of the Jags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

FrostyJack wrote: »
    The problem with the recent budgets is they haven't been harsh enough, that is why every year it gets worse and will do for sometime. We should all just bite the bullet.

Agree with this. FF didn't do half enough last year or the year before that or the year before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Kernel wrote: »
    But the public sector has already been raped Biggins. The elephant in the room for this country's expenditure is SW. We're far too generous compared to other EU countries.

*sigh*

• Advertisement

Thats huge topic in itself and probably not one best to open here.
    The eventual rows will lead possibly to the closure of this thread. Its an argument that has been held many times in the last while.

I do know the lower PS sections has been hit. A sister of mine is living the reality of it and just about surviving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The Household Charge.
    Money raised from the charge will be paid into the Local Government Fund and will be allocated back to local authorities to pay for the provision of services such as fire and emergency services, street maintenance, public parks, waste management, libraries and leisure facilities, the government has said.

Cool, I've no problem paying it if we get to have public parks, libraries, leisure facilities and waste management out the country......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

yeah thank **** ireland is such a cheap place to live compared to all the other eu countries.......wait a minute.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I thought this thread was longer?

Ah, its the 3rd or fouth on the budget this evening.

800 guidance counsellors/teachers are to be cut.

How that helping job creation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Arawn wrote: »
    yeah thank **** ireland is such a cheap place to live compared to all the other eu countries.......wait a minute.....

why the sarcasm *says she while munching on her Mc Donalds €3 meal* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    That budget was grand. I was expecting much much worse. Seems like a few cuts here and there but nothing major.

Agreed or am I missing something?

Yeah, half of it :D:D Read the big print !:p This is just the starter, main course tomorrow ! If you don't drive , eat or shop , then tomorrow should be just as good as today for you :D:D

The upping on taxes on cars, transport, oil, gas, carbon tax, new house tax, general VAT etc is where ALL is going to be additional hit.
    On any single ESB, gas or oil bill, there will be in increase of VAT and Carbon tax, for example.

By the time tomorrow is over, if anyone thinks the Budget is easy, its my opinion they are off their head or trying to stir it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

with all the cut backs imposed , is Sean Quinn such a good fella ?

he owes the State over a billion

Says he is living on 10,000 a year

and his family have 100s of millions of euros of assets hidden all over Eastern Europe, that they are trying to hide from the state

Does any other individual owe the state more , Seanie Fitzpatrick loans are chicken feed in comparison

Great fella alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

The upping on taxes on cars, transport, oil, gas, carbon tax, new house tax, general VAT etc is where ALL is going to be additional hit.
    On an single ESB, gas or oil bill, there will be in increase of VAT and Carbon tax, for example.

By the time tomorrow is over, if anyone thinks the Budget is easy, its my opinion they are off their head or trying to stir it!

Some great posts in this thread Biggins.

RE the last bit: I think it is very likely that various PR agencies have employees here trying to get the "message" of an easy budget across. As the whole Kate/Comms Clinic incident showed, there are deep ties between advertising and political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

*Hugs OP*

...*farts*

V_Moth wrote: »
    ...I think it is very likely that various PR agencies have employees here trying to get the "message" of an easy budget across. As the whole Kate/Comms Clinic incident showed, there are deep ties between advertising and political parties.

Very suspicious alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's why they should have gone further with the social welfare cuts. The worker is already getting lashed out of it. The soft target.

I agree, the dole should have been cut to at least some degree.. if for no other reason than to avoid making those working feel even more disenfranchised.

The fact that they are cutting the disability benefit by almost 50% in some cases while not touching the dole is outrageous. I refuse to believe that a €10 reduction would make it impossible to get by for the majority of those who are out of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Arawn wrote: »
    Europe
    Only three European cities remain in the top 10 list of most expensive cities. Moscow (4) is still the most costly European city on the list, followed by Geneva (5) and Zurich (7). Oslo (15) is down four places from last year, whereas Bern (16) has jumped six and Copenhagen dropped seven places from 10 to 17. London (18) is followed by Milan (25) and Paris (27) both down 10 places from last year. St. Petersburg ranks 29, followed by Rome (34) and Vienna (36). Up from 76 in 2010, Stockholm (39) has seen one of the most dramatic changes in the region – mainly due to a considerable strengthening of the local currency against the US dollar.

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/1311145#Europe

I don't see Dublin mentioned...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

800 guidance counsellors/teachers are to be cut.

How that helping job creation?

Guidance councellors in my experience are pretty crap at what they do. Their job is to shove round pegs into square holes.

I remember mine saying we should all become quantity surveyors.. lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Hmmmm I never knew Dublin was considered the country of Ireland. Thanks for teaching me something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I just saw a status update on FB

"******* government, have us paying a mortgage for years and now they're adding a property tax! and the ****ebags don't want us to have an education"

This from a 19 year old mum of 2 who got pregnant at 16 so she could leave school and wouldn't have to work and so she'd be given a "free house" (her words not mine btw)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Guidance councellors in my experience are pretty crap at what they do. Their job is to shove round pegs into square holes.

I remember mine recommending to go into hotel and catering if you don't know what to do because that's where the future lies. Great I thought. Until afterwards because I wasn't clearly good enough because I wasn't foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ours was quite obviously stoned the whole time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

thebaz wrote: »
    with all the cut backs imposed , is Sean Quinn such a good fella ?

he owes the State over a billion

Says he is living on 10,000 a year

and his family have 100s of millions of euros of assets hidden all over Eastern Europe, that they are trying to hide from the state

Does any other individual owe the state more , Seanie Fitzpatrick loans are chicken feed in comparison

Great fella alright

Joe o Reilly from Foxrock owes more I think and Nama are giving him a salary of 200k a year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Whispered wrote: »
    I just saw a status update on FB

"******* government, have us paying a mortgage for years and now they're adding a property tax! and the ****ebags don't want us to have an education"

This from a 19 year old mum of 2 who got pregnant at 16 so she could leave school and wouldn't have to work and so she'd be given a "free house" (her words not mine btw)

:rolleyes:

If you get an update next year, it might read: 20 year old mum of 3 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Ah shure it's grand, isn't it. Students have been screwed over for the sake of ~€50m. To put that in perspective, that required cutting all postgrad grants, dropping the undergrad grants by 3% and increasing reg fees by €250.

This is on top of last year's radius expansion, which has left my grant at €1250, which doesn't even cover the year's bus fare. Thanks a whole ****ing bunch Fianna Gabour. You're all the same shower of ivory tower *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    That budget was grand. I was expecting much much worse. Seems like a few cuts here and there but nothing major.

Agreed or am I missing something?

Whats wrong with you :mad:

So the elderly are expected to freeze for 6 weeks of the year...
    you people on disability are expected to live on €100 a week...
    travel cost gone up so people that can barely afford to feed themselves now wont be able to afford to get to work!
    but its nothing major???
    nothing major if you only think of yourself..
    the people who can afford to have a bank account and the banks should be paying for this mess yet the elderly and the sick will instead!
    lets just see how the suicide rate and elderly winter deaths goes over the next 12 months...:mad:

Position 14: http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/expensive-cities-europe.html

Position 42 out of 280 (BUT in 2010): http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jun/30/city-costs-living

Each site seems to have its own permutations as to assess an accurate list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The only thing this budget is doing, is me trying to find out how much as possible can I claim from the government.

Advertisement