Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the hype over budget. It wasnt bad at all!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

Yeah there's cuts alright but it's not bad.

I'm thinking tomorrow won't be too bad neither.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Vicxas wrote: »
    Roll on tomorrow..... we're gonna get bummed

I haven't had sex in a while. This will be a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    Yeah there's cuts alright but it's not bad.

I'm thinking tomorrow won't be too bad neither.

Fingers crossed
    Td???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

ilovesleep wrote: »
    This is a country that I no longer want to live in with the majority having such a way of thinking. This bullsh1t and clear abuse would not happen in any other country and I want to know what makes it acceptable?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I hear the government are much better in Syria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I can't wait for the delightful "Household Charge" that covers what exactly????? I'll still have to pay €400 a year for my bin collections, €200 a year to have my septic tank emptied etc. So no services are being provided that aren't already being paid for out of my income tax/net income.

Then there's the lovely prospect of this €100 a year (which once wouldn't have seen like such a large sum but now is a small fortune to me!) household charge morphing into a property valuation tax in the coming years. I paid €32,000 in fcuking stamp duty when I bought the house 6 years ago. I'm now in negative equity, paying 55% of my net monthly income on the mortgage repayments and have to support my wife and kids on what's left. I know that it was my choice to buy the house (well you're supposed to put a roof over your family's head instead of seeking to have the State/fellow taxpayers do it) and I'll keep on making the repayments but christ on a stick, where the fcuk am I supposed to get the money to pay a property tax? Not make a mortgage repayment? Not eat for a couple of months?

I've had my fill of these swines. I've worked all my life, never been on the dole, paid my taxes, etc etc etc. And yet I've the prospect of having absolutely no disposable income left for any kind of life, for the rest of my life, struggling to pay for the basic essentials while being told that "it wasn't my fault the country is where it is". Well I fcuking knew that Inda Kinny (you bloody muppet) but those who put us here are all on pensions of 3 - 4 times what my gross salary is. Take their pensions off them as penalty for putting us in penury.

It felt good to get that off my chest. Now if only I could kick a politician in the nuts too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Happens in alot of countries, the difference with ours and the rest is that we've found out how out lazy and apathetic we really are

+1

The amount of moaning in this country is unreal gets worse by the day too, who knows what it will take for people in this country to be happy again or were we ever??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I can't wait for the delightful "Household Charge" that covers what exactly????? I'll still have to pay €400 a year for my bin collections, €200 a year to have my septic tank emptied etc. So no services are being provided that aren't already being paid for out of my income tax/net income.

Then there's the lovely prospect of this €100 a year (which once wouldn't have seen like such a large sum but now is a small fortune to me!) household charge morphing into a property valuation tax in the coming years. I paid €32,000 in fcuking stamp duty when I bought the house 6 years ago. I'm now in negative equity, paying 55% of my net monthly income on the mortgage repayments and have to support my wife and kids on what's left. I know that it was my choice to buy the house (well you're supposed to put a roof over your family's head instead of seeking to have the State/fellow taxpayers do it) and I'll keep on making the repayments but christ on a stick, where the fcuk am I supposed to get the money to pay a property tax? Not make a mortgage repayment? Not eat for a couple of months?

I've had my fill of these swines. I've worked all my life, never been on the dole, paid my taxes, etc etc etc. And yet I've the prospect of having absolutely no disposable income left for any kind of life, for the rest of my life, struggling to pay for the basic essentials while being told that "it wasn't my fault the country is where it is". Well I fcuking knew that Inda Kinny (you bloody muppet) but those who put us here are all on pensions of 3 - 4 times what my gross salary is. Take their pensions off them as penalty for putting us in penury.

It felt good to get that off my chest. Now if only I could kick a politician in the nuts too!

Can the mods give this lad a namechange to Hobo Dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Biggins wrote: »

Late Claims
    �� Reduce statutory backdating for late claims from 12 to 6 months
    for full entitlement and remove proportionate provision.

Silly me, browsing through your list at speed I read that as 'Latte Claims' and thought... WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Its ludicrous. As if youre not paying enough, now theyre gonna tax something most people already cant afford. Im not a homeowner at the moment but will be by next year, the prospect of these bastards scrounging even more money off me on what will already be the biggest, most expensive purchase of my life? Get to ****.
    Im sick of it, the people who actually work and pay taxes get ****ed, people on the dole wont lose a ****in penny. The sisters fiancee works with a guy whos mother claims the dole, does she work? Does she ****, she gambles it all on online bingo, week in week out. And his sister does the same. Why am i paying for this crap??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

donalg1 wrote: »
    +1

The amount of moaning in this country is unreal gets worse by the day too, who knows what it will take for people in this country to be happy again or were we ever??

But what makes it acceptable to take of those with disabilities to give extra to those who have money?
    Many people have morals and this plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Money raised from the charge will be paid into the Local Government Fund and will be allocated back to local authorities to pay for the provision of services such as fire and emergency services, street maintenance, public parks, waste management, libraries and leisure facilities, the government has said.

http://www.thejournal.ie/less-than-e2-a-week-government-publishes-household-charge-bill-296510-Dec2011/

Ehh why the €500 call out for the Fire Service if the Household charge partly goes to cover the Fire Service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I hear the government are much better in Syria.

Next time you see a homeless man asleep on the street make sure to steel his flee infested blanket because you need to top up your supply of blankets at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Correct.

However it was not all cuts.

On December 1st FG/Labour allowed a 17% increase in their travel expenses, a 23% increase in their office expenditure (others only got 15% increase).
    This was all mentioned (FF speaker) in the Dail a while ago along with a lot more increases to TD's in power.

Nice eh?

Ah well...Richard Bruton needs a comfy chair in his new office, when he is sitting there, looking at the pictures from his last holiday to the sun...ooooops, business related trip...whilst the next company announces XYZ staff being made redundant :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

Silly me, browsing through your list at speed I read that as 'Latte Claims' and thought... WTF?

wouldn't surprise me mate with some of the bull**** people can claim for!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

http://www.thejournal.ie/less-than-e2-a-week-government-publishes-household-charge-bill-296510-Dec2011/

Ehh why the €500 call out for the Fire Service if the Household charge partly goes to cover the Fire Service?

Because.just because.

:D

For those milking it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

That's why they should have gone further with the social welfare cuts. The worker is already getting lashed out of it. The soft target.

Kernel wrote: »
    That's why they should have gone further with the social welfare cuts. The worker is already getting lashed out of it. The soft target.

MORE years cuts to come remember!

The general political opinion is that the Croke Park agreement now WILL have to be looked at.
    So far (I think because of Labour/Unions) FG was fearful of going near it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

then leave your job and live on the dole since it's so easy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Correct.

However it was not all cuts.

On December 1st FG/Labour allowed a 17% increase in their travel expenses, a 23% increase in their office expenditure (others only got 15% increase).
    This was all mentioned (FF speaker) in the Dail a while ago along with a lot more increases to TD's in power.

Nice eh?

Any link or idea what other increases they received?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The worker of today is the social welfare recipient of tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Any link or idea what other increases they received?

Going through all the available documents presently.
    Some have not been made available yet on the government site although the TD's had copies and (as was the FF man) was reading from them as the figures were called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm appealing to the soft underbelly of AH and not the cnutish outer shell. We might not be any good at marching but we're damn good at the keyboard.

I've taken this from FB. The person who wrote it is a good friend of a good friend of mine. If this is what happens before the budget who knows what will happen after it with further cuts to the health service. It's not my mother or your mother this time but it could be us or any of our relations in the future. Please share and repost wherever you can. It may not do any good, but then again it might.
    Unfortunately I do not have time for pleasantries, my Mother is dying
    by Rita Hayden on Sunday, 4 December 2011 at 13:46

Dear Minister,

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Unfortunately I do not have time for pleasantries, my Mother is dying. She will be dead in a few weeks and we have just been informed that there is no longer funding for the treatment she needs. We have been waiting for this treatment for a long time and we were expecting her to receive it any day now. Instead she has been sent home from the hospital to die.

The drug has recently been approved to be used in Ireland and is for people suffering from Hodgkin's Lymphoma, which is the cancer she has.

My Mum turned 50 in February and we celebrated her birthday in Beaumount hospital. We brought balloons because flowers weren't allowed into the ward but it was still a lovely evening together.

Last summer we thought she'd beaten the cancer but it came back and all the treatments so far have failed. The treatment she has been refused is not a miracle drug, there is no guarantee it will cure her (though the results in other countries have been very promising), but at a minimum it will give us a few more years. This drug is called adcetris (tm) brentuximab vedotin.

My Mum is a cheerful and loving woman, she is also a very proud Grandmother. She makes the costumes for the Nativity play in the local school. She helps my daughter with her homework and collects her from school when I have to work late. She is the person that holds our family together and she will be dead within a month if something isn't done now.
    She does not like to cause a fuss and that's why I'm the one writing this.
    I have no idea if this message will mean anything to anyone but I wanted to tell you a little about her so that something can be done to save her life and my family.

Her name is Angela Hayden and is dearly loved by everyone that knows her.
    If there is anything you can do to help I beg you, please please do.

Thank you,
    Rita Hayden

https://www.facebook.com/notes/rita-hayden/unfortunately-i-do-not-have-time-for-pleasantries-my-mother-is-dying/296930440337441

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

so hang on, if the welfare is now based on 5 days instead of 6, but the payment stays the same, is that not now an increase of sorts? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

pmcmahon wrote: »

Thats the whole lazy git vs genuinely on the dole cause they cannot get work.

Oh, and there is way in hell you dont get any kind of a job in the whole space of a year. I have been on the dole for a total of 3 weeks of my life, all in the last 4 years, and they were all separate 1 week stints as I was able to find jobs in bars, tescos, picking fruit, etc. The jobs are out there. If you have to do something to get money, youll do it. But with the dole as comfy as it is, theres no point for some people as it is. Once again, lazy vs genuinely on the dole. Theres effort required to get a job, and a lot of people on the dole dont have the proper incentive to get work if they still have ok cash coming in and their rent paid for.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will probably never own a house in this country. Too messy. When I move (and I mean when) ill deal with somewhere else, England, US, have to see then. But Im solid certain that in the next 5 years, i wont be buying one.

I feel most for those with Disabled children. Thats going to be a real stinger. How dare they give themselves more expenditure when we suffer. How dare they.

jobordole.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

hoodwinked wrote: »
    so hang on, if the welfare is now based on 5 days instead of 6, but the payment stays the same, is that not now an increase of sorts? :confused:

Yes/no. Yes if you dont work at all. But if you work 3 days a week, you can only claim for 2 instead of 3 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Was reading up a bit on Canada in the 90s when they had huge deficit spending issues but turned it around within 2 years

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/legacy-former-prime-minister-jean-chr-tien

Relevant passage:
    Eliminating the Federal Deficit

Beginning in the early 1970s, the federal government began incurring ever-increasing deficits (the annual amount by which government spending exceeds revenues). By 1995, the annual deficit had reached extreme levels, totaling $37.5 billion. Moreover, as a result of this persistent deficit financing, the federal government's total debt (the total of all past deficits and surpluses since Confederation) grew from $20 billion in 1971 to $588 billion in 1996. In 1994-95, the cost of maintaining this debt load was $42 billion, accounting for approximately 26 percent of the annual federal budget (Source: Statistics Canada, Federal Finances).
    One of the key policy highlights of the Chrétien governments was the elimination of the deficit and the lowering of the federal debt. Beginning in 1994, the Chrétien government undertook a broad program to reverse federal finances, which included massive spending cuts to federal programs and transfer payments to the provinces and territories (the federal government contributes billions annually to the provinces/territories in support of their social programs, such as public health care). By 1997-98, the federal government recorded its first annual surplus in 28 years, and (as of 2007) has continued to post large surpluses every year. Moreover, the Chrétien government used these annual surpluses to lower the national debt. By 2002-03, the year Chrétien resigned as Prime Minister, the debt had been reduced to $526 billion (Source: Statistics Canada, Federal Finances).
    The elimination of the deficit, however, has been somewhat controversial. In order to achieve annual surpluses, Chrétien governments slashed federal contributions to national, provincial, and territorial social programs. Supporters of Canada's social-welfare state have argued that this has caused a deterioration of the standard of living for many Canadians. Moreover, some provincial and territorial governments have argued that the federal cuts to provincial/territorial transfers have placed an extraordinary financial burden upon them. They argue that the federal government, in effect, solved its financial difficulties by simply "downloading" spending obligations to other levels of government. It should be noted that Chrétien attempted to address some of these concerns towards the end of his tenure, increasing federal contributions to several key social programs, in particular, public health care.

Tldr: 2 slash and burn budgets got Canada back into a surplus.
    Short term pain creates long term benefits

I know it's not comparing like with like because we don't have the same wealth of natural resources but interesting none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

red menace wrote: »
    Was reading up a bit on Canada in the 90s when they had huge deficit spending issues but turned it around within 2 years

The problem with the recent budgets is they haven't been harsh enough, that is why every year it gets worse and will do for sometime. We should all just bite the bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

pmcmahon wrote: »

I've been tempted, I'd be as well off. It's just not in my nature, I'm a worker..

Advertisement