Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on footpath, done for 40e

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    No!

That's a very good retort to my wish to continue to park on footpaths in the future. I gather from this that you are a warden yourself, as you appear to have some means by which you can prevent me from doing so. I shall enjoy not paying any future fines you bestow upon me.

Your Gardai photos do nothing for your argument except prove that you seem to make sweeping generalizations; all motorcyclists are inconsiderate bandits while Gardai are inconsiderate idiots who cannot be trusted to apply any sort of free will in their day to day work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

UDP wrote: »
    Yes, that law should be repealed and I would like to see someone done for it. Plus for what you posted you couldn't be done for under that law.

MOD: Abuse. You've Been Warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

These laws were implemented/last updated in '97. Almost 15 years ago. I think it may need to be updated seen as there so many PC A-Holes around theses days:rolleyes:
    I think the law people are unhappy with is bye-laws with regards pay and display parking not that it is illegal to park on a footpath - that law should remain.
    So UPD where do you suggest motorbikes are parked then if there is no designated parking bays are provided for motorbikes? Walk? Sorry but living 10 miles from the city and walking there is not very convenient believe it or not.:rolleyes:
    If it is an issue then it should be taken to the council to get resolved. A Parking Warden does not make the rules he is just there to enforce them.

Completely different - one would be a civil disagreement and the other is statutory law. Either way a person just doing their job should not have abuse directed at them.

Civil disagreement based on a contract which is based on contract law that if necessary can be up-held by the courts, or statutory law that if necessary can be up-held by the courts. Principal is the same.

I for one am firmly against drying your clothes on the balcony and believe that the Managment company should start eviction proceedings immediately.

Pataman wrote: »
    How long is that going to take? MAG Ireland have been campaigning for bikes to use the bus lane for years and it has fallen on deaf ears.
    In the meantime should we not use our bikes?
    I dont agree that Bikes should be allowed use bus lanes but that is a completely separate issue to this. Has there been a campaign about not being allowed to park in Pay and Display spaces?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I hope your don't get fined cause you broke the rules even if they are not practical.
    Hopefully your letting agent would show some common sense.

LOL! Caught nicely!

Anyway, this was a one off from the traffic warden, let his superiors know he's being a dick because there's no parking available, he'll be told to not do it again and everybodys happy.

Sorry but living 10 miles from the city and walking there is not very convenient believe it or not.:rolleyes:

You should leave your bike locked up in a garage, it could fall on someone if you ever take it out. And god forbid if something leaked out of it :eek: They'd have to call in the army and decontaminate the area.
    There's bikes falling on kids all around the country, and the footpaths are covered in oil with people slipping in it, breaking their hips.
    It's far to heavy for the roads too, it could easily damage them.

Cars should be banned from town centers, they're carrying too much fuel in the tanks which could ignite and the cars could explode. Also, when parked, the handbrake cable could snap, and if there's a hill, the car could roll back and a child could be playing there. When they're coming to a stop, the brakes could fail too.

Don't get me started on the damage a truck could do! I saw one that carried chemicals and it was DRIVING PAST A SCHOOL FOR DISABLED CHILDREN!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Listen, this post is no more ridiclious that the ones from Iwannahurl and UDB. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

dceire wrote: »
    That's a very good retort to my wish to continue to park on footpaths in the future. I gather from this that you are a warden yourself, as you appear to have some means by which you can prevent me from doing so. I shall enjoy not paying any future fines you bestow upon me.

Your Gardai photos do nothing for your argument except prove that you seem to make sweeping generalizations; all motorcyclists are inconsiderate bandits while Gardai are inconsiderate idiots who cannot be trusted to apply any sort of free will in their day to day work.

The RoTR are clear on this point, and as a licensed(?) road user you should be familiar with those rules. Discussion of this point is superfluous, IMO.

As for your suggestion that I am painting "all motorcyclists" as "inconsiderate bandits" and AGS as "inconsiderate idiots", I'm afraid that is just one of those Straw Man arguments so common on Boards, ie invent an argument that a poster didn't make, then sarcastically (and oh so cleverly) demolish it.

My point about AGS and Traffic Wardens is that I believe they should NOT use their discretion to allow the use of pedestrian facilities as extra road space. Footpath parking is commonplace in this country, though it is completely illegal, because AGS and local authorities seem to think it's OK to use pedestrian space for motor vehicles. IMO that reflects badly on them, as it shows a lack of regard for the needs of, for example, pedestrians, vision-impaired people and senior citizens who may need support to walk.

Footpaths and other pedestrian facilities are NOT extra road space for you to use as you wish. If this is a common attitude among bikers then I'm afraid I am rapidly losing sympathy for the OP, even if no PWT parking was provided in the vicinity. Unlike disabled people he has two functioning legs; let him use them and save €40 from his dole money in the process.

BTW, would we be having this discussion if the OP was parked on the DYLs?

IMG_20111205_125453.jpg

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You should leave your bike locked up in a garage, it could fall on someone if you ever take it out. And god forbid if something leaked out of it :eek: They'd have to call in the army and decontaminate the area.
    There's bikes falling on kids all around the country, and the footpaths are covered in oil with people slipping in it, breaking their hips.
    It's far to heavy for the roads too, it could easily damage them.

Cars should be banned from town centers, they're carrying too much fuel in the tanks which could ignite and the cars could explode. Also, when parked, the handbrake cable could snap, and if there's a hill, the car could roll back and a child could be playing there. When they're coming to a stop, the brakes could fail too.

Don't get me started on the damage a truck could do! I saw one that carried chemicals and it was DRIVING PAST A SCHOOL FOR DISABLED CHILDREN!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Listen, this post is no more ridiclious that the ones from Iwannahurl and UDB. :D

strawman_kit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I'm getting tired of this. I'll have to pay my fine but its still a stupid call by the warden. Loads of space, not obstructing anyone. Not taking the piss and endangering pedestrians.

DYL fine is a given, everyone will get done for it, fine for bikes on footpaths, not a given, its the opposite, people don't normally get fined for it cause they aren't taking the piss 'endangering' all these helpless blind old people everywhere.

Warden could have used common sense as many wardens do up and down the country, but he didn't, he was a jobsworth about it. It is a grey area if its not enforced in many counties and the capital but is here. That is a mixed message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

I presume you never park your car on any of the above?

I'm getting tired of this. I'll have to pay my fine but its still a stupid call by the warden. Loads of space, not obstructing anyone. Not taking the piss and endangering pedestrians.

DYL fine is a given, everyone will get done for it, fine for bikes on footpaths, not a given, its the opposite, people don't normally get fined for it cause they aren't taking the piss 'endangering' all these helpless blind old people everywhere.

Warden could have used common sense as many wardens do up and down the country, but he didn't, he was a jobsworth about it. It is a grey area if its not enforced in many counties and the capital but is here. That is a mixed message.

Long past time fines for footpath parking were a given and that everyone gets done for it.

I'd like to see some wardens like that in my neck of the woods, instead of the lazy biased ones we have currently.

maameeo wrote: »
    I presume you never park your car on any of the above?
    No, I dont.

No, I dont.

I don't know much about rocket science, but amazingly enough I never have a problem not parking on the footpath, grass margin or median strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

As a non biker I think that's a really bad call. Doing his job sure but parking enforcement is to ensure safe and responsible parking isn't it? The bike looks safe and secure where it is.

I can't imagine how anyone, blind or seeing would have difficulty with where it is.

Seeing as it's between the tree and the bin, not really an area you would have pedestrians walking you could dispute it:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0003.html

“footway” means that portion of any road which is provided primarily for the use of pedestrians;

If I were in your shoes I'd just pay the fine and contact the council about lack of spaces. If they insist on you parking in motorcycle only spaces then they should really provide them.

That parking warden must be an absolute joy.

Triangla wrote: »
    If I were in your shoes I'd just pay the fine and contact the council about lack of spaces. If they insist on you parking in motorcycle only spaces then they should really provide them.
    Yeah, that's what I'd do. A warden going around acting like that will probably have a few complaints against him.

I'd have thought by now we'd have learned our lessons about light-touch regulation.

Too many people complain about the law being enforced, IMO.

Our Irish culture of non-compliance is copperfastened by our Irish culture of passing laws and then not enforcing them.

Complaining about an official doing his job is vexatious and dishonest, IMO.

I'd have thought by now we'd have learned our lessons about light-touch regulation.

Too many people complain about the law being enforced, IMO.

Our Irish culture of non-compliance is copperfastened by our Irish culture of passing laws and then not enforcing them.

Complaining about an official doing his job is vexatious and dishonest, IMO.

Well, if everyone had your opinion the world would be a miserable place.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I'm getting a lot of reported posts on this thread - you know the rules, no personal abuse. Cop on I don't want to have to delete the thread

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

The duties of a traffic warden in Ballincollig can't involve the most stimulating of activities. There isn't a whole lot to really do unless you nitpick. There's no pay and display and there's plenty of spaces for car users. The only way he can justify his job is to be strict I guess.

Personally I don't agree with this kind of aggressive enforcement, especially in a town like Ballincollig. Agitating the public like this is totally unnecessary.

If this was the City council you wouldn't have a prayer appealing, but it's County so try contacting your local councillor, talk about your dissatisfaction with the lack of provision of motorcycle spaces despite the recent multimillion redevelopment of Ballincollig...

• Advertisement

Well, if everyone had your opinion the world would be a miserable place.

Complying with the law, and walking more than a few metres, does seem to be a miserable prospect for a lot of Irish road users.

On the other hand, I have attended several public meetings where disabled people, including those with sight impairments, have said how miserable it is for them to have to deal with obstructions on the footpath.

If the enforcers shared my opinion this kind of thing wouldn't be normal in Ireland:

Triple-Filtered-Obnoxiousness.jpg

05-D-19087-again.jpg

03-CE-5140.jpg

TeachingCommunity1.jpg

07-D-62332.jpg

09-D-23199.jpg

00-LM-1214.jpg

Complying with the law, and walking more than a few metres, does seem to be a miserable prospect for a lot of Irish road users.

On the other hand, I have attended several public meetings where disabled people, including those with sight impairments, have said how miserable it is for them to have to deal with obstructions on the footpath.

If the enforcers shared my opinion this kind of thing wouldn't be normal in Ireland:
    Take a look at the op's pic and see if you can spot a difference between how he parked and the pics you put up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I'm getting a lot of reported posts on this thread - you know the rules, no personal abuse. Cop on I don't want to have to delete the thread

There seem to be a few people using this thread for their own agenda.

Please don't!

This is a motor bike forum - please respect that!

Take a look at the op's pic and see if you can spot a difference between how he parked and the pics you put up ;)

A footpath is a footpath. That doesn't change, regardless of the type of vehicle or style of parking.

P.C. wrote: »
    There seem to be a few people using this thread for their own agenda.

Please don't!

This is a motor bike forum - please respect that!

This is the "agenda", as is this. Please respect that.

This is the "agenda", as is this. Please respect that.

Did you miss the face that he wasn't interfering in any way the ability of a disabled person to use the path or pedestrian crossing or did you choose to ignore it?

Did you miss the face that he wasn't interfering in any way the ability of a disabled person to use the path or pedestrian crossing or did you choose to ignore it?

I started off feeling some sympathy for the OP, based on comments that PTW parking is often lacking (as pedal cycle parking frequently is).

However, my sympathy gradually drained away as the excuses and anti parking warden abuse accumulated!

A visually-impaired person could find that motorbike quite awkward. Are you choosing to ignore that, or can you just not imagine what it's like for someone with no sight?

It's a footpath -- the clue is in the name. I'm mystified as to why so many motorists seem to think they have a superior, and inviolable, claim on pedestrian space.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A visually-impaired person could find that motorbike quite awkward. Are you choosing to ignore that, or can you just not imagine what it's like for someone with no sight?

It's a footpath -- the clue is in the name. I'm mystified as to why so many motorists seem to think they have a superior, and inviolable, claim on pedestrian space.

Looking at the picture in the OP the bike is properly the safest thing on the footpath for a visually impaired person. There are skinny trees with holes around the base. There are several different levels and textures to the path. If the visually impaired person can't see a biggish bike then they wouldn't have made it that far to hit the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

No they couldn't. Its parked between two obstacles and there is an unobstructed section of flat path beside it. Unless they were attempting to cross the road there, which would be suicidal tbh, a visually impared person would never be attempting to occupy the space that bike is parked in.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Looking at the picture in the OP the bike is properly the safest thing on the footpath for a visually impaired person. There are skinny trees with holes around the base. There are several different levels and textures to the path. If the visually impaired person can't see a biggish bike then they wouldn't have made it that far to hit the bike.

Blind people can't see anything.

The existing features such as trees may be either permanent or long-standing. A blind or vision-impaired person may have familiarised themselves with existing features or hazards. A new or unexpected obstacle, such as an illegally or obnoxiously parked vehicle, may pose an additional hazard.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    No they couldn't. Its parked between two obstacles and there is an unobstructed section of flat path beside it. Unless they were attempting to cross the road there, which would be suicidal tbh, a visually impared person would never be attempting to occupy the space that bike is parked in.

How do you know? Who should decide? And why are we even discussing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

How do you know? Who should decide? And why are we even discussing this?
    If the bike wasn't parked there and a blind person was walking down that section of the path they would walk directly into several other obstructions. They therefore would decided themselves to walk the route which doesn't lead them into trees. This is obvious stuff.

I live in Sligo. I literally have no choice but to park on a footpath or occupy a pay and display space. I'm going to continue parking on footpaths. Thats why I'm discussing this.

Why are you discussing this? Other than to push the message of blindly following the regulations set by our wonderful overlords, lest we should have to resort to common sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement