Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on footpath, done for 40e

Options
  • 05-12-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Didn't realise I could be done for it. If I knew I would have taken up car spaces. F sake.
    Don't have a legal leg to stand on I suppose

IMG_20111205_125453.jpg

IMG_20111205_125434.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

bast@rds. it's not like you are obstructing anyone... it annoys me when people park on the path and dont leave room for wheelchairs / buggies / other large objects to pass but if this is the way you parked when you got the fine I think it's moronic to give a parking ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

I told yer man that there are bikes parked on foot paths all over the city and he was like "well not on my patch" ****. I made a point of not obstructing anyone or taking up a car space in town center and I get punished for it. Not to mind i was collecting my dole, was inside for less than 10min.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Bastids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You have to have suspected that it was a possibility that you'd get done? Its a major pain the nads alright - what would you have done if you'd got there as he was starting to write the ticket....

I can't see a whole lot wrong with where you parked, you just crossed the wrong degenerate jobsworth. Pay the fine, get on with your life in the knowledge that bikes are still the best way to get around.

<EDIT> Are there dedicated bike parking spaces anywhere near where you parked? I wonder if you appealed it to the council on the basis that you had no other option...

'cptr

I've been parking on footpaths for ages, hadn't really crossed my mind, it will be from now on though.

• Advertisement

You have to have suspected that it was a possibility that you'd get done? Its a major pain the nads alright - what would you have done if you'd got there as he was starting to write the ticket....

I can't see a whole lot wrong with where you parked, you just crossed the wrong degenerate jobsworth. Pay the fine, get on with your life in the knowledge that bikes are still the best way to get around.

<EDIT> Are there dedicated bike parking spaces anywhere near where you parked? I wonder if you appealed it to the council on the basis that you had no other option...

'cptr

Nope, none of those around that I know of. Will confirm that before I appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

thats awful, you were not obstructing anyone there. id be pretty pissed off too!

wont happen to me... i duno how to get up on paths yet :o:D

Don't learn, it costs too much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭gipi

You may not be allowed to park in a car parking space either -for example, Dublin City Council's parking bye-laws specifically state that bikes can't park in a pay car parking space....(see paragraph 13)

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/Dublin_City_Council_Parking_Control_Bye-Laws_2011.pdf

So we can't park on the pavement, we can't take up a pay parking space, there are no dedicated bike spaces.....

gipi wrote: »
    You may not be allowed to park in a car parking space either -for example, Dublin City Council's parking bye-laws specifically state that bikes can't park in a pay car parking space....(see paragraph 13)

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/Dublin_City_Council_Parking_Control_Bye-Laws_2011.pdf

So we can't park on the pavement, we can't take up a pay parking space, there are no dedicated bike spaces.....

My mistake, I didn't realise we have to leave the bike at home and walk everywhere. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I hate footpath parking, but in the highly unlikely event that I was a traffic warden I wouldn't be making you my priority target, especially if there are other excessive restrictions such as lack of proper motorbike parking (a common problem for cyclists too) and prohibitions on using P&D spaces as one poster mentioned.

In terms of the letter of the law, the diligence of the particular Traffic Warden, and hazards encountered by vision-impaired pedestrians especially, it's hard to argue against getting a ticket I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

A grey area in the law as far as i am aware is that if you put a full cover over the bike while parked on a footpath or other space the warden cannot lift the cover to give you a ticket.

Usually a warden will not touch the cover as he knows thats its not technically legal to do so unless he calls over a garda to do it..so on the caveat that if the bike is not obstructing anything a level headed warden will just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

You met a jobsworth. Not a lot you can do. Where was this?

Ballincollig, for future biker reference, the warden isn't a bike fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I hate footpath parking, but in the highly unlikely event that I was a traffic warden I wouldn't be making you my priority target, especially if there are other excessive restrictions such as lack of proper motorbike parking (a common problem for cyclists too) and prohibitions on using P&D spaces as one poster mentioned.

In terms of the letter of the law, the diligence of the particular Traffic Warden, and hazards encountered by vision-impaired pedestrians especially, it's hard to argue against getting a ticket I suppose.
    Where would you recommend he park? I know in Sligo I have no option but to park on a footpath.

Did you look at the pictures? Some cunt of a warden to give a ticket for that in fairness.

How did he stick the ticket to the bike?

He folded it up and stuck it near the handle bars. Ya, a right pr1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Why not appeal it for the hell of it? If you write and enclose the pics you might get the right person to reverse it...

Ya, that's what I'm doing, printed off the pics there. Make them earn the 40e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

fair play... you should include the link on previous post (i know its about dublin, but you can use it as reference?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Are there dedicated bike parking spaces anywhere near where you parked? I wonder if you appealed it to the council on the basis that you had no other option...

'cptr

This is what i'd do. Complete asshole of a traffic warden here. The bike is causing absolutely no problems where it is.
    I always park in like with trees/sign like in the pics to cause the least disruption as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Good stuff, post when you get a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I did a quick check of the Cork CC site. The only one I could find was for Mallow UDC which doesn't allow bike parking in pay and display bays, it's a .pdf download in section 13.

Can't find any info for Ballincollig UDC. But since Dublin and Mallow don't allow bike parking I can't see anywhere else having different laws.

Shhh wrote: »
    Good stuff, post when you get a result!

I'll fight 'the power' and 'the man' and see where is gets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fight it in court, if there was no designated motorcycle parking in the area you can dispute it on the grounds that the bike is unsafe in a car parking space as it can be knocked over. This is not the UK or Australia where councils cater for motorcycles, here they don't give a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

You deserve to get a ticket....its clear from the first picture that the bike is obscuring a trash can and therefore preventing useage of the same ..
    Littering isnt funny...

:D:D.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Cant believe people think the OP was hard by here and firing abuse at a traffic warden who was just doing his job properly.

You broke the law you got done.

What if you bike had fallen over and landed on a pedestrian? - it doesn't look like it is at a great angle there. What about those of poor sight who shouldn't have to worry about motor bikes before they get to the edge of the path? - its bad enough that they have to worry about trees and bins etc but at least they are there the whole time - heavy motorised vehicles are a different kettle of fish. what about oil and other possible leaks ending up on the path? Im sure there are many other reasons too when grouped together end up as a good argument for keeing motorised vehicles off of footpaths.

Even without the reasons above what the OP did was against the law and thus the fine was correct to be issued. I commend the parken warden for actually applying the law. Just because the law is not being correctly applied elsewhere doesn't mean it shouldn't be applied properly here.

There is no need for the abuse being hurdled at a Traffic Warden who was just doing his job and actually applying the law. There is one thing petitioning to the council for spaces to be provided but that has nothing to do with the Traffic Warden here who is just doing his job and is no reason for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

UDP: Where do you suggest he legally parks his bike. He parked in the safest manner away from the center of the path, in a line between a tree and a bin.

Or maybe he shouldnt use a bike at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

UDP wrote: »
    Cant believe people think the OP was hard by here and firing abuse at a traffic warden who was just doing his job properly.

You broke the law you got done.

What if you bike had fallen over and landed on a pedestrian? - it doesn't look like it is at a great angle there. What about those of poor sight who shouldn't have to worry about motor bikes before they get to the edge of the path? - its bad enough that they have to worry about trees and bins etc but at least they are there the whole time - heavy motorised vehicles are a different kettle of fish. what about oil and other possible leaks ending up on the path? Im sure there are many other reasons too when grouped together end up as a good argument for keeing motorised vehicles off of footpaths.

Even without the reasons above what the OP did was against the law and thus the fine was correct to be issued. I commend the parken warden for actually applying the law. Just because the law is not being correctly applied elsewhere doesn't mean it shouldn't be applied properly here.

There is no need for the abuse being hurdled at a Traffic Warden who was just doing his job and actually applying the law. There is one thing petitioning to the council for spaces to be provided but that has nothing to do with the Traffic Warden here who is just doing his job and is no reason for abuse.

Ah yes "I vas just following orders". didn't work in Nuremburg, and it won't work in Ballincollig. (godwined!) Common sense has to be used, the warden didn't, hence the anger.
    Bikes don't fall over, they don't leak oil unless there's something wrong with it, the angle it's at is perfect (you obviously don't have a clue about what you're talking about), if you have bad sight you'll cross at a ped crossing, not here, it's not a "heavy motorised vehicle". Maybe you could list some of the "many good reasons" because so far you haven't given one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

UDP wrote: »
    firing abuse at a traffic warden ..... good argument for keeing motorised vehicles off of footpaths..... the fine was correct.....I commend the parken warden ....... no need for the abuse being hurdled at a Traffic Warden ......nothing to do with the Traffic Warden ...... no reason for abuse.

Your brown and yellow hat slipped over to the side there lad. Why are you even in here? The rules of this site prevent me from suggesting you move back to your own country, but I suspect you don't own a bike and you do own a little handheld ticket printer.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Ah yes "I vas just following orders". didn't work in Nuremburg, and it won't work in Ballincollig. (godwined!) Common sense has to be used, the warden didn't, hence the anger.
    Bikes don't fall over, they don't leak oil unless there's something wrong with it, the angle it's at is perfect (you obviously don't have a clue about what you're talking about), if you have bad sight you'll cross at a ped crossing, not here, it's not a "heavy motorised vehicle". Maybe you could list some of the "many good reasons" because so far you haven't given one.
    There was no gray area here for "common sense" to be applied. The bike was clearly on the path it wasn't half on it or on an unofficial path.

Ok, I guess there is never anything wrong with Motor Bikes? Nice to know they never leak and they never fall over and that they are light so would never injure anyone. Glad to know there are absolutes in this regard.

End of the day they are heavy machinery on a pedestrian path which is not allowed by law thus the Traffic Warden did his job correctly so there is no need for people to direct abuse at him. If everyone followed the law the country would be a better place instead of throwing hissy fits when the law is applied correctly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement