Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking365 online makeover thoughts??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dimma

I've been able to log in ok last night and this morning, but can't transfer money between my own accounts.....

Hi, I just logged in and because of your thread, paid money off a bill by transferring money using the quick link and it worked, it did not update the bill but usually does within 24 working hours so for me will be Monday night after midnight I think.
    What browser are you using as an instrest, You will need to phone them tomorrow and let them know, seems to b quite a few "bugs" within this system, Is your browser up to date with updates? Have you tried other browsers, I used chrome and worked as a FYI. Hope you get to transfer money ASAP online:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Lads, a lot of you probably won't realise this but the site is more or less a blatent copy of the AIB internet banking site.

I've been with BOI for years, but I opened an account with the AIB recently and set up online banking for said new account. Out of pure coincidence the same day I got online banking with them, the BOI updated their site. Its literally 99% identical.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

What a confusing mess... This is supposed to be simpler?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

dimma wrote: »
    Have you tried other browsers, I used chrome and worked as a FYI. Hope you get to transfer money ASAP online:confused:

I was trying to do a quick transfer using IE8 on XP from a laptop and that failed, also tried a quick transfer using safari on an iphone, also failed.
    I tried to transfer again using the Money Transfer option from the left menu using safari on the iphone and it work.
    I just did another quick test using IE9 on windows 9 this morning and that also worked.

It's impossible to say whether it's a browser compatibility problem or whether the site was having unexpected problems , or if BOI wqas quietly doing maintenance in the background because they haven't bothered to update their customers.

Has there been any public comment at all from BOI?

As of now, logins and transfer seem to be working normally.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ringing them to get myself unblocked, listening to Vivaldi over and over again.

No option to not listen to music on hold, no update as to how long the queue is and the same piece of music repeated endlessly!!!

Edit: gave up after 19 minutes on hold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Was on hold on Friday for 25 minutes. That Vivaldi is painfully high frequency when listening on a crappy speaker.

Still no fix for 12 digit US account numbers. It's one parameter in the code ffs.
    <span class="abbrstyle"><abbr title="Mandatory">*</abbr></span><input id="form:payeeAccountNumber" type="text" name="form:payeeAccountNumber" autocomplete="off" value="" class="input_long"[B] maxlength="10"[/B] tabindex="8" />

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On hold this morning for 18:32 and this afternoon for 18:30, no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MadsL wrote: »
    Still no fix for 12 digit US account numbers. It's one parameter in the code ffs.
    <span class="abbrstyle"><abbr title="Mandatory">*</abbr></span><input id="form:payeeAccountNumber" type="text" name="form:payeeAccountNumber" autocomplete="off" value="" class="input_long"[B] maxlength="10"[/B] tabindex="8" />

It's probably not that simple. Most likely the field has been limited to 10 characters all the way through the system, right down to the tables in the database where it's being stored.

The way financial institutions structure their information systems, they have to follow a change process whereby an urgent change request is logged based on your incident, examined, scoped, approved, then implemented, tested & QA'ed, before being released as an update in the next scheduled release. Websites may do a release on a daily basis for urgent fixes, but the whole process of getting people to sign off on the paperwork can take a number of days, even though the coding probably takes 15 minutes.

Seems like a dumb oversight to not know that it's possible for an account number to be more than 10 characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Is there something up with it today updates wise?online for the past 2 days it sayd I have 57 but I cant withdraw anything:confused: Ive spent a lot the past week and was refunded 120 which I then used too:pac:.

I understand that getting sign-off is the big issue with this, but at the moment the bank are responding with "it's policy" type answers and not answering the "Why?" question. In otherwords defending their mess not helping the customer do what they want to do (and is paying for!) - stupid policy not accepting fax instructions too.

Spoke to AIB just now - no restrictions on account number.

• Advertisement

Is there something up with it today updates wise?online for the past 2 days it sayd I have 57 but I cant withdraw anything:confused: Ive spent a lot the past week and was refunded 120 which I then used too:pac:.

This does not make sense, are you saying that your balance on 365 online is not up to date, if it was a credit card then it should update after midnight tonight or are you saying your ordinary accounts are not up to date with what you think should be in them!!!
    Don't say thats another issue with it, I transfered money from one savings to another and it updated straight away as it should last week , over weekend I paid a bill (credit card) so that should update tonight by middnight or I will be on blower in morning!!
    Just ring em to find out and let us know if issue or its just you have no money in account!!!!:confused:

Seems to be working ok in that its ok to get into/out of at moment.

yes so silly about the 12 digit A/C thingy, you would think they thought of that before launch!!!!!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

dimma wrote: »
    This does not make sense, are you saying that your balance on 365 online is not up to date, if it was a credit card then it should update after midnight tonight or are you saying your ordinary accounts are not up to date with what you think should be in them!!!
    Don't say thats another issue with it, I transfered money from one savings to another and it updated straight away as it should last week , over weekend I paid a bill (credit card) so that should update tonight by middnight or I will be on blower in morning!!
    Just ring em to find out and let us know if issue or its just you have no money in account!!!!:confused:

Seems to be working ok in that its ok to get into/out of at moment.

yes so silly about the 12 digit A/C thingy, you would think they thought of that before launch!!!!!!! :confused:

Thats the thing it says I have money online but the atms say I have none:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I hate it the old way was much better and easy to pay bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Will take a bit of getting used to alright...

As long as I can check my balance every month and it doesn't goes missing at the drop of a click, it'll do..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dimma02

coup1917 wrote: »
    Will take a bit of getting used to alright...

As long as I can check my balance every month and it doesn't goes missing at the drop of a click, it'll do..........:rolleyes:

A i think some of us use it for alot more than that, Its great for paying bills online, topping up the moile phone, the credit card etc s keeps us out of the ques at the bank plus checking balances, its a great service 365 online when it is working ok I have to say,

Hopefully they have all the "bugs" out of this system, mind you can be slow enough to load between passwords and onto balance page and thats with fast connection. But touch wood has worked ok this week,,,Its not really any improvement over last one,actually last one showed you on each account when last statement was mailed to you, this version does not plus FAQ is not as easy to find, you have to log in first as opposed to being on login page!!!!

Just keep it improving BOI please and FAST FAST please.;)

Just an update on this; I've been contacted by customer care and they tell me the issue I have reported with 12 digit US account numbers will be fixed.....IN JANUARY!!

Come on....:mad: A 30 second fix to a parameter that affects NOTHING else.

I just paid $55 to courier a written instruction to set up a one-time only transfer to my US account. I'll have to do that for every transaction. Thankfully I managed to get my branch to refund all fees (the transfer charges alone for a manual transaction costs 36 euro..online it is a fiver!)

Less than impressed.

I've emigrated recently and I'm in the process of doing all the 'clean-up' on bank accounts. I recently got a checking account with a major US bank. It has a 12 digit account number.

I'm trying to set up a payment beneficiary to the new US bank account and whilst I have the ABA number and SWIFT details ok - the stupid new software will NOT let me have any more digits than 10 in the account field. I'm looking at a checkbook with 12 digits - my new bank confirms the account has 12 digits.

It will not let me enter a full swift including the account number either.

I call customer service, they cannot tell me why this is the case;

Me: Cant enter 12 digits
    CS: We don't allow 12 digits
    Me: Wha'?????
    CS: We'll have technical look at it for you on Monday...
    Me: Can you not set it up?
    CS: No, we are not allowed
    Me: So can I instruct the bank to do it?
    CS: Yes, in writing.
    Me: So a FAX is ok?
    CS: No, has to be by post
    Me: But a fax is legally binding?
    CS: But our policy is blah blah

(head explodes)

Basically because of a stupid programmer - or some bizarre policy on 12 digit numbers - I cannot get to MY money for another 2 weeks; at which point the Euro may have bombed and we are out another $300-400 value...

Needless to say I'm NOT happy at this point....

Just an update on this; I've been contacted by customer care and they tell me the issue I have reported with 12 digit US account numbers will be fixed.....IN JANUARY!!

I just paid $55 to courier a written instruction to set up a one-time only transfer to my US account. I'll have to do that for every transaction. Thankfully I managed to get my branch to refund all fees (the transfer charges alone for a manual transaction costs 36 euro..online it is a fiver!)

Less than impressed.

least they contacted you and you now know it will be fixed even if next month, I guess with xmas and all that IT will be short on the ground!!

It seems to be kinda working ok as of now, i am just waiting to see if it updates a bill i payed yesterday!!! wait till after midnight!!!! Typical eh!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Wayne Scales

You obviously don't have a clue about IT Change :rolleyes:

Well, you can't really say that it affects nothing else. It's a data field storing a bank account number, which is practically the primary unit of exchange within their entire system.

If one part of the system has been coded to expect a piece of data that's 10 characters long, and suddenly gets a 12 character data field (even though it may only contain 10 characters), that's the kind of tiny change that can bring their entire system crashing down until its fixed. And for banks, the integrity of their IT systems is everything, it's their business. In fact there are actual laws in relation to what kind of downtime is acceptable in a bank's IT system. It would be grossly negligent for a bank to put through any kind of change without going through the whole change process.

So there's testing and testing and more testing needed to ensure that this 30-second change affects nothing else. Everyone who works in IT will tell you that their biggest disasters have occured when they've said, "This is only small, it doesn't affect anything else".

Unfortunately timing has probably caught you unlucky here. They have to assign the various resources to development and testing and with Xmas ten days away, people will be in short supply, so January seems realistic if you consider that all or most of the QA section may be at home from 23rd December - 3rd January.

Of course the issue here is the wisdom of launching a major change in December, since you would typically expect a large number of issues that require fixing in the first 4 weeks of operation.

seamus wrote: »
    Well, you can't really say that it affects nothing else. It's a data field storing a bank account number, which is practically the primary unit of exchange within their entire system.

If one part of the system has been coded to expect a piece of data that's 10 characters long, and suddenly gets a 12 character data field (even though it may only contain 10 characters), that's the kind of tiny change that can bring their entire system crashing down until its fixed. And for banks, the integrity of their IT systems is everything, it's their business. In fact there are actual laws in relation to what kind of downtime is acceptable in a bank's IT system. It would be grossly negligent for a bank to put through any kind of change without going through the whole change process.

So there's testing and testing and more testing needed to ensure that this 30-second change affects nothing else. Everyone who works in IT will tell you that their biggest disasters have occured when they've said, "This is only small, it doesn't affect anything else".

Unfortunately timing has probably caught you unlucky here. They have to assign the various resources to development and testing and with Xmas ten days away, people will be in short supply, so January seems realistic if you consider that all or most of the QA section may be at home from 23rd December - 3rd January.

Of course the issue here is the wisdom of launching a major change in December, since you would typically expect a large number of issues that require fixing in the first 4 weeks of operation.

well said, last thing we need is for it to go back to what it was like last week, seems to be ok now that its running but yip, why they brought a new version online before xmas is anybody's guess, and I bet it will take a while for new stuff to come online too, they will not just introduce this without lots of testing, I have a US bank A/C and its only 10 numbers, wonder which one is 12, I would not say its the norm!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Anyone having problems logging in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

dendof wrote: »
    Anyone having problems logging in?

It's small big sluggish today but not too bad.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Yeah working now again

You obviously don't have a clue about IT Change :rolleyes:

...and you obviously don't have a clue about about customer service. Go back to playing what ever game you play whilst pretending to work. This is costing customers real money. It costs $100 to send an urgent written instructions to BoI from the US, not to mention the additional significant costs involved in a manual transfer.

I used to project manage software development projects and a mess-up like this would be fixed in my next build - and I would seriously consider an interim bug-fix just to deal with this issue. There is no reason for a max parameter of 10 to be specified in the code, and it is a 2 second job to fix and upload to the server and restore service as provided by the previous version of Banking365.

We are talking about basic skinning of the front end and basic form validation - not rocket science.

The cost of this screw-up comes down on customers and I would be seriously asking who decided to impose this parameter - if it was the developer I would be asking some 'awkward' questions...

It may seem like a tiny bug to a junior developer, yet customer service have to take the brunt for another month dealing with customers who see BoI has having BROKEN their own system.

dimma02 wrote: »
    well said, last thing we need is for it to go back to what it was like last week, seems to be ok now that its running but yip, why they brought a new version online before xmas is anybody's guess, and I bet it will take a while for new stuff to come online too, they will not just introduce this without lots of testing, I have a US bank A/C and its only 10 numbers, wonder which one is 12, I would not say its the norm!!!!

Good job you are not a programmer then..:)

US bank accounts can be between 2 (yes two!!) and 17 digits. It is up to the issuing bank. ACH standards dictate a max length of 17.

Most Bank of America account numbers are 10 digits, but Bank of America gobbled up lots of small banks in the last few years and those banks have 8, 9, 10 and even 11 or 12 digit account numbers. Bank of America usually does not change the account number when they take over the bank.

seamus wrote: »

See my post above - this is a skinning rebuild - I don't think BoI have rebuilt the entire system from the ground up. They have put a cosmetic change on the top of the old system from what I can see. I have been informed that the old system accepted up to 16 digit numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Bleh. I'm trying to add a new payee on the system. I enter the account number fine. I then tried to enter the sort code and it restricts it to six digits. Fine I thought, I'll just leave out the hyphens. Then it tells me I've entered it wrong, but I can't add in the hyphens because it's restricted to 6 digits.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Hauk wrote: »
    Bleh. I'm trying to add a new payee on the system. I enter the account number fine. I then tried to enter the sort code and it restricts it to six digits. Fine I thought, I'll just leave out the hyphens. Then it tells me I've entered it wrong, but I can't add in the hyphens because it's restricted to 6 digits.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

More gremlins now!!! see how many issues this has, between account numbers and now sort codes..GOD who actually did this site, did they not actually test this out. i am not an IT programmer but at the least you would have thought it was capable of everything the previous site did???

Think you will have to phone customer services and tell them about this issue too, this will affect alot of folks me thinks, again another reason, why do this just before the xmas holidays!!!!! answers in big letters on the back of a stamp please!!!!!:rolleyes:

On a footnote, it aint exacty fast, kinda like last one in that on a given day or hour it can be slow as F**K and next hour or day it can be snappy, this was way last site was so whats the good of this site and i have a mega fast connection, especially if in work!!!! where are the actual improvements here!!! anyone????

• Advertisement

See my post above - this is a skinning rebuild - I don't think BoI have rebuilt the entire system from the ground up. They have put a cosmetic change on the top of the old system from what I can see. I have been informed that the old system accepted up to 16 digit numbers.
    That's fine, but you're still making assumptions that the only place this 8 digit limit occurs is in the skin of the BOI online interface.

For example, I just used a browser add-in to remove the size limit from the HTML and I put in an 11-digit account number.

I got a validation error back (as I would expect to) - "Please enter an 8-digit account number". So that's a piece of back-end code in a routine, which will also need to be changed and tested. How many other times does this validation occur as the data passes down the system?

The 365 phone service told you that they can't enter more than 8 digits either - that's more changes, more validations to change and test.

Yes, they're small changes, but like I say, this is a bank. The change processes that they require are typically unlike anything you'll see anywhere else, except in places like Google or Amazon.

Advertisement