Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great news to all those up in the North!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A total none issue in my book, They're part of the UK, the Union flag flies over Stormont.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There must be more Union Jacks in the North than anywhere else on the entire planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I dunno. There are places in the north where there are no flags agreements. I understand why. I would rather live in an estate with a no flags agreement than one without.

There shouldn't be any flags stuck to lamposts, or kerbstones painted. Flags should be used sparingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Richard wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any flags stuck to lamposts, or kerbstones painted. Flags should be used sparingly.

Because it's public property?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

And because a lot of them are up to incite hate. Its about context.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There must be more Union Jacks in the North than anywhere else on the entire planet.

Efforts to reduce the number of flags flown in Northern Ireland during the summer months have failed, with almost 4,000 flags erected in July last year alone.
    And despite a slight reduction in the number of flags and paramilitary emblems in the last five years, researchers have said it does not constitute a significant amount.
    It comes as Queen's University scholars publish their latest report into the public display of flags and emblems in Northern Ireland. Led by Dr Dominic Bryan, director of the Institute of Irish Studies, the report shows that the number of flags flying during the summer months has remained "remarkably consistent" over the last five years.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/no-significant-reduction-in-flying-of-flags-flown-in-northern-ireland-16017254.html#ixzz1fPtP7WF1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And because a lot of them are up to incite hate. Its about context.

It's a bit like dogs pissing on lamp posts - a territorial thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Even around Easter there were more than twice the number of unionist flags and symbols on display than nationalist, something described in the report as "striking".

They are a very insecure lot them pesky unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Back in the day it was generally agreed that all these union jacks (and increasing number of marches) were a symbol of something called the "siege mentality" among Britain's "Pieds Noirs" in Ireland.

There have been numerous, if not countless, studies done on this siege mentality phenomenon in the unionist community. According to Todd and Ruane even the standard use of the term "the mainland" in the unionist community can be dated to the outbreak of the Troubles when they wanted to accentuate their links to Britain more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

stoneill wrote: »
    I was in France two years ago and I was amazed at how many French tri-colour flags were flying.
    And all those German flags in Germany.
    And a good friend of mine in Canada told me the place is full of Canadian flags.

FFS, what is the world coming to?

The Polish flag also hung proudly by the side of the M8 after it opened.:D

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »
    The guy talking about the Caribbean flag needs a shoe up the hole along with all the other lefty whinge-bags........
    whaaa union jack flying outside whaaaa whinge. ITS BRITAIN. what other flag would they fly.
    numbnuts.

It's not, as even a four-year-old could tell you, but hey don't let that minor fact interrupt a good rant.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Back in the day it was generally agreed that all these union jacks (and increasing number of marches) were a symbol of something called the "siege mentality" among Britain's "Pieds Noirs" in Ireland.

Something Paisley fed off like a hungry parasite.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

charlemont wrote: »
    The Polish flag also hung proudly by the side of the M8 after it opened.:D

The red white and blue kerbstones in the North bring tears to the eyes of any French tourists visiting, so the whole island is the centre of international love-fests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Israeli flag flying in the "Loyal West bank" by Abercorn Street, Derry isn't half funny, Its bloody hilarious..

BTW KeithAFC say's he has not one not two but three flags at his house..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The guy talking about the Caribbean flag needs a shoe up the hole along with all the other lefty whinge-bags........ whaaa union jack flying outside whaaaa whinge. ITS THE UK. FIXED. What other flag would they fly. numbnuts.

Mark my words some day in the not too distant future, they'll be crying about the Tricolor flying from buildings here during Paddy's Day, but of course they will put the elf and safety aspect to it, only registered technicians with a registered safe-pass ticket and a registered cherry picker can place a registered tricolor on a building.........

, so now back onto the topic kevin cassie and gandee

is it ok for the looney left whinging baw bags to stop people from flying their national flag from a flag pole?
    A simple yes or no will suffice.

Did you arrive here from the 80's in a Brit Tabloid Time Machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

donutface wrote: »
    Absolutely, I don't see how this is relevant though. Northern Ireland is a multicultural society where a group of people (it doesn't matter how big or small) finds the union jack offensive.

Do you even know that northern ireland is british? According to your 'logic', if one crackpot american in the ROI wanted all Irish flags taken down and have them replaced with the stars and stripes, they would have to be changed. But then the irish would be offended, so would it have to changed back? And keep going like that? Or perhaps it's 'majority rules', according to your new version of logic.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I didn't see this many being flown in mainland Britain

Ahem. Instead of having a group of islanders refer to themselves jingoistically as "mainland" anything, I propose we change the debate to contextualise the 60 million Europeans in Britain, a comparatively small island off an important continent, by their relationship with "mainland Europe". See how they feel about that. What's sauce for the goose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think we should have a flag for the whole of the British Isles so we can end all this Union Flag and Tricolour nonsense.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

Chillaxe wrote: »
    Surprised there aren't more union jacks in ROI to be honest, considering the support they get on this site.

I have a few on display :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think we should have a flag for the whole of the British Isles so we can end all this Union Flag and Tricolour nonsense.

:p

Ah here now, you meant Irish Isles didn't you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Fbjm wrote: »
    Do you even know that northern ireland is british? According to your 'logic', if one crackpot american in the ROI wanted all Irish flags taken down and have them replaced with the stars and stripes, they would have to be changed. But then the irish would be offended, so would it have to changed back? And keep going like that? Or perhaps it's 'majority rules', according to your new version of logic.

I suggest you read the thread before jumping to hit the reply button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I love when the only way the looney left can poke holes in your argument is to criticize your spelling......runs off to place union jack on gpo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

No because a tattered rag of flag stuck on to a lampost is no way to respect that flag, and loads of them can be intimidating to others.

the looney left

Is this folk idiom something that you were taught to say recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    I don't see why the Butcher's Apron should be flown in the North, it is gross and offensive to republicans
    They're actually really handy, a great way of knowing what "kind" of area you're in if you don't know the place too well. It makes it easy to know whether to stop for a pint or if you should keep moving, especially if you have an obviously fenian accent. :) Keep flying them I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The OP must have got awful wet if he saw that many union jacks on his travels.

The OP must have got awful wet if he saw that many union jacks on his travels.

Yeah, I was going to respond similarly to Kupus. However, I did a brief check before posting and it seems that the idea that the "Union Flag" is the correct name for the flag when it's not on sea is controversial, with many vexillologists saying 'union jack' is the more historically correct name for the flag in all circumstances. Apparently the idea that the flag becomes a 'union jack' only when flown on a warship is a 'relatively recent idea'.

1) The Union Jack or The Union Flag?

2) Union Flag

3) Union recognition

Page 6 and nobodys said 'Butcher's Apron' yet? FFS lads.....

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    I don't see why the Butcher's Apron should be flown in the North, it is gross and offensive to republicans and anyone from a country ruled by the Empire. Its only 35 years ago Brit state agents were plantin bombs in Dublin.

FAO. Nodin. ;)

• Advertisement

FAO. Nodin. ;)

Ta.

That's what old age does to ye..can't even read a thread...I'm fucked now...next thing the langer falls off....

Advertisement