Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great news to all those up in the North!

Options
  • 02-12-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I went up to Northern Ireland for the first time there last year and was surprised to see the amount of union jacks flying around the place.

If the Caribbeans living in the UK can find it offensive enough to attempt to have it taken down, I'm sure we can add the same pressure up north!

In all fairness though, this ones absolutely ridiculous. Nobody would mind anyone flying their Caribbean flag in the Caribbean, or even in the UK for that matter.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Are you aware there are N.Irish people who actually consider themselves to be British?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

You're an eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Andy!! wrote: »
    Are you aware there are N.Irish people who actually consider themselves to be British?

Absolutely, I don't see how this is relevant though. Northern Ireland is a multicultural society where a group of people (it doesn't matter how big or small) finds the union jack offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

donutface wrote: »
    I went up to Northern Ireland for the first time there last year and was surprised to see the amount of union jacks flying around the place.
    Why, what country did you think you were in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If the Caribbeans living in the UK can find it offensive enough to attempt to have it taken down, I'm sure we can add the same pressure up north!

In all fairness though, this ones absolutely ridiculous. Nobody would mind anyone flying their Caribbean flag in the Caribbean, or even in the UK for that matter.

First time leaving Ireland ? were you homesick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

What colours are in the "Caribbean flag"?Who are the Caribbeans for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Absolutely, I don't see how this is relevant though. Northern Ireland is a multicultural society where a group of people (it doesn't matter how big or small) finds the union jack offensive.

Some people are too sensitive by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Dotrel wrote: »
    Why, what country did you think you were in?

Eh....... Ireland?

Its in 'Britain' in me hole!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I find your post stupidly offensive, but you still had right to post it, yes?

Ghandee wrote: »
    Eh....... Ireland?

Its in 'Britain' in me hole!

That's fascinating... your colon belongs to another country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

but is it still illegal to fly the tricolor up north?

• Advertisement

I find your post stupidly offensive, but you still had right to post it, yes?

The whole point of the post was to show how stupidly absurd the news clip was. Please do explain what was offensive about my posts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

People have died to keep that flag flying, god save the queen:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Oh no.

I hope this gets locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

How long before KeithAFC arrives I wonder?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Seriously, were you unaware that NI is part of the UK :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by this Caribbean bit? "The North is the UK" so you can apply all the pressure you like, but just bear in mind, that they have just come out of a protracted period of violence, and they have made their peace with each other, they still like to fly their flags though, Union Jack & Tricolour alike! (there are whole swathes of the North covered with Tricolours too)!

Still not sure what you mean by this Caribbean bit? so you dont mind people from the caribbean flying their flags in Northern Ireland? is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Wheres Wolfe thingy and Keith whats his face when you need them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:) Awaits keithAFC to set the his record straight :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

John Doe1 wrote: »
    People have died to keep that flag flying, god save the queen:)
    Alan Carr?????

mattjack wrote: »
    Wheres Wolfe thingy and Keith whats his face when you need them ?

:(Think they have left and gone of to fight there wars on other far away forums :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

realies wrote: »
    :) Awaits keithAFC to set the his record straight :p;)

Howya realies ? :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

:pac:

That is comedy gold right there good sir!

realies wrote: »
    :(Think they have left and gone of to fight there wars on other far away forums :(
    Na, keithafc the troller was on earlier!

:o Forgot about our lord sutch :o hi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I went to Dublin recently and was shocked to see liberal use of the tricolour.

Not only was it flying over government buildings, there were small plastic ones for sale in Carroll's gift shop.

I mean, green AND orange on the same flag? What other nation would ever dream of it. Other than Cote d'Ivoire and India. And maybe some more.

But all the same...

LordSutch wrote: »
    Seriously, were you unaware that NI is part of the UK :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by this Caribbean bit? "The North is the UK" sol you can aply all the pressure you like, they have just come out of a protracted period of violence, and they have made their peace with each other, but they still like to fly their flags Union Jack & Tricolour alike!

Still not sure what you mean by this Caribbean bit? so you dont mind people from the caribbean flying their flags in Northern Ireland? is that what you mean?[/QUOTE]

I obviously expected the union jack to be flown up the North, however it came as a surprise to drive and see long rows of union jacks separated 100 meters apart alongside the motorways. I didn't see this many being flown in mainland Britain, and even in my time spent in the Seattle. I didn't see that many American flags.

It seemed to me that the government wanted you to be damn sure that you know that you are in the United Kingdom.

Personally I do believe that anyone should be allowed to fly whatever flag they like where ever they like provided that they have the legal right to fly the flag there in the first place. This doesn't mean that I can't find it surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The whole point of the post was to show how stupidly absurd the news clip was. Please do explain what was offensive about my posts though.
    Your post wasnt offensive at all. I get your point and you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Still not sure what you mean by this Caribbean bit? so you dont mind people from the caribbean flying their flags in Northern Ireland? is that what you mean?

I obviously expected the union jack to be flown up the North, however it came as a surprise to drive and see long rows of union jacks separated 100 meters apart alongside the motorways. I didn't see this many being flown in mainland Britain, and even in my time spent in the Seattle. I didn't see that many American flags.

It seemed to me that the government wanted you to be damn sure that you know that you are in the United Kingdom.

Personally I do believe that anyone should be allowed to fly whatever flag they like where ever they like provided that they have the legal right to fly the flag there in the first place. This doesn't mean that I can't find it surprising.[/QUOTE]

You're very dim

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Oh, THAT queen!!
    I'd watch that video only I'm washing my hair / picking my nose / couldn't be arsed!!:p

• Advertisement

Personally I do believe that anyone should be allowed to fly whatever flag they like where ever they like provided that they have the legal right to fly the flag there in the first place. This doesn't mean that I can't find it surprising.[/QUOTE]

The goverment didnt put up the union jacks, the people did.

Advertisement