Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great news to all those up in the North!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I obviously expected the union jack to be flown up the North, however it came as a surprise to drive and see long rows of union jacks separated 100 meters apart alongside the motorways. I didn't see this many being flown in mainland Britain, and even in my time spent in the Seattle. I didn't see that many American flags.

It seemed to me that the government wanted you to be damn sure that you know that you are in the United Kingdom.

Personally I do believe that anyone should be allowed to fly whatever flag they like where ever they like provided that they have the legal right to fly the flag there in the first place. This doesn't mean that I can't find it surprising.

It's more likely that the local "enthusiasts" have put all of those up, because I don't think the British government gives a sh1t whether they're flying or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

donutface wrote: »

It seemed to me that the government wanted you to be damn sure that you know that you are in the United Kingdom.

It's not the government that puts them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

realies wrote: »
    :) Awaits keithAFC to set the his record straight :p;)

Not like him to be late.

Quick send out a search party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's more likely that the local "enthusiasts" have put all of those up, because I don't think the British government gives a sh1t whether they're flying or not.

Hey I didn't write that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

I don't see why the Butcher's Apron should be flown in the North, it is gross and offensive to republicans and anyone from a country ruled by the Empire. Its only 35 years ago Brit state agents were plantin bombs in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

The guy talking about the Caribbean flag needs a shoe up the hole along with all the other lefty whinge-bags........
    whaaa union jack flying outside whaaaa whinge. ITS BRITAIN. what other flag would they fly.
    numbnuts.

Mark my words some day in the not too distant future, they'll be crying about the Tricolor flying from buildings here during Paddy's Day, but of course they will put the elf and safety aspect to it, only registered technicians with a registered safe-pass ticket and a registered cherry picker can place a registered tricolor on a building.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

LordSutch wrote: »
    Seriously, were you unaware that NI is part of the UK :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by this Caribbean bit? "The North is the UK" so you can apply all the pressure you like, but just bear in mind, that they have just come out of a protracted period of violence, and they have made their peace with each other, they still like to fly their flags though, Union Jack & Tricolour alike! (there are whole swathes of the North covered with Tricolours too)!

Still not sure what you mean by this Caribbean bit? so you dont mind people from the caribbean flying their flags in Northern Ireland? is that what you mean?

The Caribbean bit refers to the video clip where some guy complained about the Union jack being flown in Britain and equated it to the flying of the Caribbean flag in Britain. I had always thought that the Caribbean was a sea, but according to the learned gent in the clip, it's actually a country, with a flag all of its own!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Hey I didn't write that!

The QUOTEs were screwed up in your post, so it made it look like you did.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

kupus wrote: »
    The guy talking about the Caribbean flag needs a shoe up the hole along with all the other lefty whinge-bags........
    whaaa union jack flying outside whaaaa whinge. ITS BRITAIN. what other flag would they fly.
    numbnuts.

Mark my words some day in the not too distant future, they'll be crying about the Tricolor flying from buildings here during Paddy's Day, but of course they will put the elf and safety aspect to it, only registered technicians with a registered safe-pass ticket and a registered cherry picker can place a registered tricolor on a building.........

Its political correctness gone mad kupus:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

numbnuts.

While you're throwing out the insults there, it's not BRITAIN, it's the UK, as in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, numbnuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

numbnuts.

Wrong sir.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can we have the spammers back please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I was in France two years ago and I was amazed at how many French tri-colour flags were flying.
    And all those German flags in Germany.
    And a good friend of mine in Canada told me the place is full of Canadian flags.

FFS, what is the world coming to?

While you're throwing out the insults there, it's not BRITAIN, it's the UK, as in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, numbnuts.
    its great you can waste your time on the internet being pedantic about it,
    but you still agree with me of course, since that was your only argument.
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Wrong sir.

Wrong.
    Whats so wrong about what I said.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Its political correctness gone mad kupus:p

Sadly yes John, sadly yes.
    I'm all for gay rights, the right for abortion, divorce, immigration etc...
    but some things go to far. This is one of these examples, and if the rot doesn't stop somewhere it will just continue.

What next on the PC brigades process, I know how about letting Peta stone somebody for eating a hamburger. them damn dirty carnivores, how dare they eat meat. blah blah rabble rabble herp derp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Caribbean flags I hear? They were flying them in honour of the recent visit of Rihanna when she shot that video there. Violent woman and all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Surprised there aren't more union jacks in ROI to be honest, considering the support they get on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Im with the British on this one (those who want to fly their flag) people shouldnt have to dilute their own culture in accordance with the number of immigrants who enter a country. I can understand in places like israel and northern ireland that flags can be used to incite hatred ect but that doesnt seem to be the case here.

I dont know why the gentleman in that video mentioned the bnp in connection with the union flag, the two arent interchangable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Nordie thread is nordie

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Whats so wrong about what I said.

Whats wrong is that Northern Ireland is NOT part of Britain. Its part of the United Kingdom alright, which is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

cassi wrote: »
    Whats wrong is that Northern Ireland is NOT part of Britain. Its part of the United Kingdom alright, which is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Exactly.

But you can't educate someone who knows it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

English people fly the English flag, Scottish people fly the Scottish flag, Welsh people fly the Welsh flag, Northern Irish people fly the...........union jack?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

steddyeddy wrote: »

I dont know why the gentleman in that video mentioned the bnp in connection with the union flag, the two arent interchangable.

Have a read of some of the comments on the video, that might clear it up for you.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    English people fly the English flag, Scottish people fly the Scottish flag, Welsh people fly the Welsh flag, Northern Irish people fly the...........union jack?? :confused:

Not all of them do.....:rolleyes:

Loyalists do, Republicans fly the tricolour.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Expect to see the German flag flying here soon. They own us now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Thread seems stupid enough to post this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:) While up in North Donegal you can say "the South is north, and the North is south".So the most Northen part of this Island is in the south.:DThought I would throw that in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OP, take it across the border like a good chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Ok, I currently reside in the north, and yes there are union jacks flown in some areas, but there are also tricolour and Northern Irish flags flown. It just depends on the area and the people living in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I dunno. There are places in the north where there are no flags agreements. I understand why. I would rather live in an estate with a no flags agreement than one without.

• Advertisement

cassi wrote: »
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Exactly.

But you can't educate someone who knows it all.

The guy talking about the Caribbean flag needs a shoe up the hole along with all the other lefty whinge-bags........ whaaa union jack flying outside whaaaa whinge. ITS THE UK. FIXED. What other flag would they fly. numbnuts.

, so now back onto the topic kevin cassie and gandee

is it ok for the looney left whinging baw bags to stop people from flying their national flag from a flag pole?
    A simple yes or no will suffice.

Advertisement