Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,812 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mrcheez wrote: »
    Rift S = €449
    GTX 1060 = ~€388

Where is the €2000 coming from?

If you have a powerful PC then it's €449 to play the game.

You'd get a 2060 for less than €388?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

pixelburp wrote: »
    It requires more space, cables and more

Rift S requires a single cable. You can play in a small space if you need as most games have sitting position options.

If you go Quest you don't even need a cable and can do it all wirelessly.

There are no requirements for satellite tracking boxes with the Rift S as all tracking is done on the headset.
    indulge in a more anti-social, space restricting hobby.

Do you honestly call your friends over every time you play a game? :pac:

If you really want to share what's on screen then everything you see is all visible on the computer screen.

Watching people reacting to VR games is one of the most fun social experiences you can have!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You'd get a 2060 for less than €388?

GTX 1060... where did I say 2060?

GTX 1060... where did I say 2060?

That's what I'm saying. Why would you pay €388 for a 1060 when a 2060 can be bought for that.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's what I'm saying. Why would you pay €388 for a 1060 when a 2060 can be bought for that.

fair enough, I don't know what cards are on the market as I've been fine with my GTX 1070 for the past 2 years :)

Go with whatever you can get for €388 :)

• Advertisement

Rift S = €449
    GTX 1060 = ~€388

Where is the €2000 coming from?

If you have a powerful PC then it's €449 to play the game.

I don't get this either. I've pointed out a little over 1000-1200 can get you into this from scratch and if you already own a decent PC probably a couple of hundred euros at most.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do you honestly call your friends over every time you play a game? :pac:

I have an OH, and with normal consoles I can play but still be present in the living space while not dominating it either (well, with the Switch I don't). VR means I'm just not part of the room anymore IMO - and like I said I don't even know how parents square the circle of basically being cut off from the rest of the house during play. Open to correction from any parents here who have a VR (and haven't had their kids taken away for negligence lol).

I haven't yet seen any argument or point of view that suggests how VR isn't more anti-social in the sense of those sharing the same house or room as the player. Obviously it depends on the relationship and varies from couple to couple, but I don't feel like VR is a particularly fair experience on the person sharing the room with someone flailing around in the corner :D

And the price point is coming from the fact I don't have a laptop powerful enough to run VR properly. I've looked (a little). I'd need a whole new rig and just can't justify that expense. The Switch was a treat, bought via some money given in lieu of birthday presents. This is all very "first world problems" of course, but at the end of the day VR remains a relative luxury item. Fair enough to those who can afford it, and don't begrudge them at all, but 'dems the brakes.

I don't get this either. I've pointed out a little over 1000-1200 can get you into this from scratch and if you already own a decent PC probably a couple of hundred euros at most.

for €1000 you could get what you need to get into VR, plus

- Half Life Alyx
    - Skyrim VR
    - In Death
    - Walking Dead Saints & Sinners
    - GTA V VR
    - Alien Isolation VR
    - Beat Saber
    - Lone Echo
    - Robo Recall

I think you'd be set for a while with that lot ;)

fair enough, I don't know what cards are on the market as I've been fine with my GTX 1070 for the past 2 years :)

Go with whatever you can get for €388 :)

The RTX 2060 is about the level of a 1070TI and can be bought for £300.

A 1660 Super is about 10% slower than a 1070 but can be bought for around £200 on sale.

I have an OH, and with normal consoles I can play but still be present in the living space while not dominating it either (well, with the Switch I don't). VR means I'm just not part of the room anymore IMO - and like I said I don't even know how parents square the circle of basically being cut off from the rest of the house during play. Open to correction from any parents here who have a VR (and haven't had their kids taken away for negligence lol).

I haven't yet seen any argument or point of view that suggests how VR isn't more anti-social in the sense of those sharing the same house or room as the player. Obviously it depends on the relationship and varies from couple to couple, but I don't feel like VR is a particularly fair experience on the person sharing the room with someone flailing around in the corner :D

And the price point is coming from the fact I don't have a laptop powerful enough to run VR properly. I've looked (a little). I'd need a whole new rig and just can't justify that expense. The Switch was a treat, bought via some money given in lieu of birthday presents. This is all very "first world problems" of course, but at the end of the day VR remains a relative luxury item. Fair enough to those who can afford it, and don't begrudge them at all, but 'dems the brakes.

I wait until I put the child to bed, surely you don't think VR usage happens when parents are minding their kids :pac:
    If you are gaming in general when minding your kids then that could be argued as neglect. You don't need VR to indicate that.

You can say any game on any PC or console is anti-social if you neglect your responsibilities.

In a sensible situation if people take time to themselves for an hour or two for gaming I don't imagine they use that time to talk ****e to the misses unless she has an interest in gaming. In the case I'd imagine they get involved and play together.
    If not then set VR in the office or Games room as another example.

If you are watching a match the missus is either interested in it or will do something else anyway. Same difference.

The general point people are making is that all gaming devices are technically "luxury items" and VR is becoming more mainstream regardless of if someone want's to a admit it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wait until I put the child to bed, surely you don't think VR usage happens when parents are minding their kids :pac:

You can say any game on any PC or console is anti-social if you neglect your responsibilities.

In a sensible situation if people take time to themselves for an hour or two for gaming I don't imagine they use that time to talk ****e to the misses unless she has an interest in gaming. In the case I'd imagine they get involved and play together.
    If not then set VR in the office or Games room as another example.

If you are watching a match the missus is either interested in it or will do something else anyway. Same difference.

The general point people are making is that all gaming devices are technically "luxury items" and VR is becoming more mainstream regardless of if someone want's to a admit it or not.

Ah well, all things are fine if we're talking "sensible situations" though; we've all played Skyrim to 3am to know "sensible" is not necessarily common with gaming / gamers :D;)

Hey. Ultimately the write-off has and will remain the combination of price, available space, but also motion; VR will / does make me puke or feel nauseous so it's kinda moot for me really. The rest is perceptual and a YMMV scenario: traditional video games, or watching "the match" is often quite a passive, sitdown hobby (passionate fans notwithstanding), with VR feeling like the opposite, and not something easily done in the corner, quietly, while someone else is there. It's like having a performance artists in the room, while you're trying to read :D

Spazzing out like a maniac during Alien Isolation would feel unfair & distracting on my wife, but that's just how I see it for my scenario, not claiming it's the same across the board. VR is definitely becoming more mainstream, just not yet convinced it'll reach further into homes than motion controls, 3D TVs and the like (which I've heard does make Sport better to watch).

And you know, all things being equally I wouldn't even be posting were it not for the irritation it's blocking me from playing Half Life not-3 :)

VR feeling like the opposite, and not something easily done in the corner, quietly, while someone else is there. It's like having a performance artists in the room, while you're trying to read :D

If all your hobbies must be shared in the same space with others at the same time then yes it might not be for you, but tbh it's healthy to have some time to yourself so if you take on VR as a hobby then at least you have an excuse to have some private "me" time :)

But VR settings cater for nausea (in fact one of the most annoying things for VR veterans like myself is how they default all settings to accommodate those who feel nauseous).

e.g. in Half Life Alyx the teleport mechanic is there to aid with motion sickness and seems to be the default mode of movement. (that will be the first thing I'll turn off)

As for space, you can play most games sitting.

Just for context, what VR game did you play that made you feel sick?

The only VR game that made me feel sick was Boneworks in it's default settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My son has just downloaded and set up the Alyx sample map segments for Steam VR Home. Just Wow, using an Index. You can look into bin and find a rock at the bottom, then reach in and grab it just by closing your fingers then you can throw it. There's a lab with a fridge in it with it's door partly open and there's food and stuff inside and you can reach in and pick up and remove each and rotate it to look at all sides and read the labels, with jokes. It's just so much better than the impression the Youtube trailers give. This was using a PC with a RX Vega 64 GPU and a Rizen 9 3950x processor and the Index with all the fruit.

Valve have done it again and re-defined gaming, and I'm basing that just on static samples of maps without any gameplay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cnocbui wrote: »
    My son has just downloaded and set up the Alyx sample map segments for Steam VR Home. Just Wow, using an Index. You can look into bin and find a rock at the bottom, then reach in and grab it just by closing your fingers then you can throw it. There's a lab with a fridge in it with it's door partly open and there's food and stuff inside and you can reach in and pick up and remove each and rotate it to look at all sides and read the labels, with jokes. It's just so much better than the impression the Youtube trailers give. This was using a PC with a RX Vega 64 GPU and a Rizen 9 3950x processor and the Index with all the fruit.

Valve have done it again and re-defined gaming, and I'm basing that just on static samples of maps without any gameplay.

This sounds like a disaster for people like me. I'm the type of person that checks every inch of the map and every chest or container multiple times. I could play this for 10 hours straight and have just examined a few bins and a bucket. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Stop. My wallet...

Picking up stuff and rotating it is standard in most VR games, or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

FFS, wasnt budgeting a VR solution anytime soon.... Looks like I might have to start saving!

Picking up stuff and rotating it is standard in most VR games, or am I missing something here?

Valve have done the textures and art work with the Index resolution in mind, and possibly beyond, so I was really surprised at the level of detail. In Valve's Lab, your hands are intricately constructed robot hands and the level of detail on them is surprising. It's such a quantum leap from my S6 Edge and Gear VR. :D

The other thing is that with the Indexe's controllers, you get each finger of each hand working independently more or less like your real ones that actions like picking objects up is just so natural and intuitive.

Probably coming from such a basic VR experience to the state of the art, in consumer terms, has excited me more than if I had been coming from a more advanced VR like a Vive or Occulus, so disregard my enthusiasm. The Index system has so many features and the HW is so HQ that It's doubtful Vave are making much profit, if any.

4K per eye OLED at 90-120hz with yet to be made GPU power to drive it, will deliver a tech/societal phase change the way smart phones have.

There is the playground from HL2 and the roundabout has positions on it you can stand on, but you can also invite friends into this home environment Where they will appear as disembodied head and hands. Since you can customise 3d Avatar head models, it shouldn't be too much of a leap to scan a real persons head and map it to the models. Voilá, teleprescence with detail. Given Covid-19 making business travel a no-go, I see the potential here for something way beyond Alyx. . The only thing missing is hardware to map lip movements and facial expressions in real-time. For those into CO2 mitigation, the potential here is massive. But commerce has never embraced work from home so I'm probably wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Granted I haven't obviously used the Alyx sample but the Oculus home screen in the workshop with the robot is pretty much identical to what you're describing if using CV1, Quest or Rift S. Tons of extremely detailed assets you can explore, examine at will, nooks and crannies to rummage through and stuff to interact with.

Using the Gear VR or Oculus Go as a reference point isn't really at all similar. Neither are a patch on a proper Oculus Rift (or Vive), they are completely different experiences built around the same concept of VR but lacking the depth of experience. What you are describing with the controllers is also true of the Oculus Rift, it tracks finger placement.

Also the Index isn't 4K per eye, can't remember the exact resolution but it's 1440x1600 or similar, whatever it is it's the same as the Quest and a bit better than the Rift S.

I'm not trying to dampen any enthusiam or anything, but everything you've described exists for a long time already on the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift (and to a lesser extent, PSVR)....just not on Gear VR or Oculus GO.

Even from a social POV, I think it was on the DK1 (maybe DK2) I used to watch movies at 'the cinema' with random people online, everyone had avatars and you wander about the lobby with other people, could sit wherever you wanted, interact with each other, move about in each others space etc...and this would've been in about 2013 or 2014. The 'social' concept has been there since day one and is one of the big talking points, obviously it's one of the reasons Facebook bought Oculus as well.

I have the Oculus CV1 and it's an amazing piece of kit but everything right now is largely centered on hardware and resolution/immersive improvements, some of the best actual VR implementations and concepts I've seen were actually on the older headsets.

I've no doubt Alyx will be excellent but I don't think it's so much re-defining anything, as it is offering probably the best 'must try' experience yet. My favourite game so far that I felt like that about was probably Robo Recall, even that's a few years old at this stage.

• Advertisement

I know the social thing isn't new, even the Gear VR had it. I was just thinking out loud re current events. Likewise regarding 4K per eye, I was thinking to the future, not saying the index had it.

It's such a quantum leap from my S6 Edge and Gear VR. :D

Ah right... yeah I mean even PSVR on a PS4 Slim is light years ahead of Gear VR :)

I was just curious by the reaction where you got lots of plaudits (via thanks) and people saying OMFG I has to get this nooooows based on your post

Everything you describe is pretty much standard nowadays in most VR but I can definitely understand the reaction when people realise you can physically reach into containers to pull out items, examine them closely, and then throw them around willy nilly.

As for finger tracking, the Rift has this also to some extent as it can recognise when your thumb is up, or index finger is pointing, or when you are making a fist.

The Quest takes this even further by recognising your actual hand and you can see your hand in VR without a controller. This is currently in development but the future is controller-less VR.

My most groundbreaking moment in recent times was when I got my Quest and the intro demo has you dancing around with a robot. You reach out, grab onto him and you spin around the room in real life (no wires) while the robot follows how you are dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

and finally we are starting to see actual AA - AAA experiences coming to the platform as bigger devs are starting to take it seriously.

[/YOUTUBE]

Can you name a few AAA games for VR that have launched recently?

I can't really think of any but I'm not paying much attention these days

Bambi wrote: »

I can't really think of any but I'm paying much attention these days

Recent:
    Boneworks
    Walking Dead - Saints & Sinners
    Blood & Truth
    Stormland
    Asgard's Wrath

Upcoming:
    HL: Alyx
    Medal of Honour VR
    Lone Echo 2

I can't really think of any but I'm not paying much attention these days

Asgard's Wrath
    Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
    Boneworks
    Stormlands

plus a few older games like Lone Echo, plus ported games like Skyrim VR and Borderlands

On PSVR you have the likes of Res Evil, Farpoint

Recent:
    Boneworks
    Walking Dead - Saints & Sinners
    Blood & Truth
    Stormland
    Asgard's Wrath

Upcoming:
    HL: Alyx
    Medal of Honour VR
    Lone Echo 2

Boneworks aint AAA
    Walking Dead aint AAA
    Blood and Truth - AAA and is Exclusive
    Stormland - Aint AAA and is Exclusive
    Asgrads wrath not AAA and is Exclusive

Prett much why VR is a busted flush for me these days, no big games and Oculus trying to turn PC gaming into a console enivironment.

Boneworks aint AAA

What's AAA then? :)

I would go AA for most tbf

That's the whole purpose of HL:VR though.

It's AAA

I've simple enough definition:

Big budget studios making big budget games that make big sales

• Advertisement

I've simple enough definition:

Big budget studios making big budget games that make big sales

Great budgets don't make a great game, similar to movies. You shouldn't let that limit your decision about getting into VR.

If AAA meant quality of games rather than size of team/budget, then there are many of those in VR.

Advertisement