Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Any games in mind to play first?

No, were a bit more concerned about €1k having gone missing, at the moment.

Update:

Ok, It's turned up. I suspect the courier will have some explaining to do on Monday.

Elite dangerous, half life 2, valves hand demo, and apparently there are a couple more games In his stream library that have VR modes.

It needs 3 power outlets and you need another two for the computer and monitor.

Index-1.jpg

Index-2.jpg

Apparently valve is out of indexes in both the United States and Europe. They do have some controllers left in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Crysis was an unoptimized mess.

:pac:

Half Tempted to buy Crysis 1 on the xbox one (360 port - deals with gold for 4.99)
    Is it any use? Won't be as visually impressive as the PC. But am curious if it's decent. Strangely enough it never got a retail release too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

cnocbui wrote: »
    They do have some controllers left in Europe.

Says out of stock for me (and back to €54.99).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Half Tempted to buy Crysis 1 on the xbox one (360 port - deals with gold for 4.99)
    Is it any use? Won't be as visually impressive as the PC. But am curious if it's decent. Strangely enough it never got a retail release too.

I bought it on the 360. It's a surprisingly decent port. Not sure how it has dated compared to playing it now on a modern PC, but I remember being surprised at the time.

• Advertisement

No, were a bit more concerned about €1k having gone missing, at the moment.

Update:

Ok, It's turned up. I suspect the courier will have some explaining to do on Monday.

Elite dangerous, half life 2, valves hand demo, and apparently there are a couple more games In his stream library that have VR modes.

It needs 3 power outlets and you need another two for the computer and monitor.

Index-1.jpg

Index-2.jpg

How you getting on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Absolutely

Half-Life: ReSrced is a mod for Half-Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift that gives the game HD textures upscaled from the original low-res textures. This is accomplished by using state-of-the-art neural networks to upscale the game’s graphics. Combined with detail textures and support for a variety of HD model packs for Half-Life and its expansion packs, ReSrced makes the classic game look sharp and modern while keeping true to the original aesthetic.

To make this possible Half-Life: ReSrced runs on the open-source Xash3D FWGS engine. While it's not as plug-and-play as a regular mod for the Steam version of Half-Life, I have made a step-by-step installation instruction that will make the process quite easy. Believe me, it's well worth the effort.

You can find the download links, installation instructions, screenshots and much more over at: https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/12/half-life-resrced-has-been-released.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some snippets of gameplay can be seen in a hands on gameplay video released by Adam Savage.

Looks cool, but seems like smooth locomotion is still very much a work in progress. Apparently they only started adding smooth locomotion into the game in recent months.

I'm hoping for once we get a Valve game that actually releases on time, but it seems to me that there is still a fair bit of work to be done before the March release date.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Nice, already in the middle of my annual Xmas playthrough :D

How you getting on with it?

I have only had a brief look. It's my son's. It's certainly better than my S6 /Gear VR. :D

He's getting on well. He's gotten HL2 to work and various other things. The Index is very high quality. It's also appears to be sold out till at least march and likely beyond.

You do need a fairly big space to get the most out of it. Luckily we have that. The base stations are a bit of a bother needing stands or something else to put them on and and wall power outlets to power them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    Considering this game is meant to be coming out in less than 9 weeks you think you would be seeing more. Come on Valve. Make with the goods! :p

*edit*
    Less than 10 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Half Life collection is free to play between now and the Alyx release.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/57848/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

TitianGerm wrote:
    Half Life collection is free to play between now and the Alyx release.

wonder are they free or just a trial

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will probably be pushed back as well, seems to be a trend these days to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fergus1001 wrote: »
    wonder are they free or just a trial

Free to play for 2 months.

Will probably be pushed back as well, seems to be a trend these days to do that.

Good. The trend has been releasing unfinished games.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Developer AMA on Reddit.

https://old.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/esen9b/were_developers_from_the_halflife_alyx_team_ask/

Apparently the game is pretty much done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I dont mind any delays to get it right.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

March 23 mutha****a!!!!

Holy crap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Still not HL3 lads!!!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Still not HL3 lads!!!

Meh

Get with VR or go home

With the index being made in China, anyone who was thinking of picking one up when the game became available is going to be disappointed.

With the index being made in China, anyone who was thinking of picking one up when the game became available is going to be disappointed.

The stock Valve have are already reserved.

There are tonnes of VR options tbf

I've the Rift S as one example. Better Budget but still a great VR Headset.

Meh

Get with VR or go home

I am with VR, I have an Oculus Go and thinking of getting a Quest soon.

It's still not HL3 :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I am with VR, I have an Oculus Go and thinking of getting a Quest soon.

It's still not HL3 :D

Sure it is. Each iteration of Half Life is on a new platform.

Half Life 4 will be released via brain implants when that replaces VR.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Sure it is. Each iteration of Half Life is on a new platform.

Half Life 4 will be released via brain implants when that replaces VR.

C'mon mrcheez, let HL3 die as the vapourware that it is :D

Alyx can be celebrated in an entirely different way, in its own damn thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its not hl3, its a prequel. It looks amazing.
    maybe microsoft could pay them to release half life 3 on the next xbox console, they need something extra to get gamers to buy it,
    since they are so far behind Sony in the console market.
    Valve are making the alyx game in order to increase adoption of VR headsets .they could afford to stop making games, they make so much money from steam.
    i,ll just watch it on youtube, i have no intention of buying a vr headset.
    i think the only chance of hl3 getting a release is maybe on vr or on a
    console .

riclad wrote: »
    Its not hl3, its a prequel.

It's a midquel.. or something... between HL1 and HL2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Interquel.
    Or to reference another game, Pre-Sequel

Advertisement