Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was in early access but this is the full we are done release.

Except they aren't and will be updating the start of the game over the next few years

https://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-black-mesa

A remake of Opposing Force in a similar vein to Black Mesa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Absolutely
    Enjoying Black Mesa but for some reason some of the keys will just not rebind, which is driving me absolutely mad as I can't jump or crouch in-game now without massive effort.

https://ie.ign.com/articles/half-life-alyx-a-we-played-the-first-4-hours-a-ign-first

"Half-Life: Alyx – We Played the First 4 Hours – IGN First"

High High praise thus far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Apparently the index sold out in under ten seconds yesterday, or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

As terrible as Covid-19 is, there's something rather auspicious about the timing of being asked to work from home just when Half Life: Alyx is being released!

At least now I know how I'll spend my lunchtimes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,808 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mrcheez wrote: »

Working? So you can dedicate the working day to HL?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Pre-loading for the game starts on Friday. Getting close now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely
    As terrible as Covid-19 is, there's something rather auspicious about the timing of being asked to work from home just when Half Life: Alyx is being released!

Just lunchtime? :pac:

• Advertisement

Just lunchtime? :pac:

I was thinking of sitting out in some quiet side street in City 17 while eating my lunch, but then battling headcrabs in the evening ;)

I was thinking of sitting out in some quiet side street in City 17 while eating my lunch, but then battling headcrabs in the evening ;)

Just make sure your hand-mouth coordination is up to it and that you don't end up with a food smeared headset because you kept missing. :)

Absolutely
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Just make sure your hand-mouth coordination is up to it and that you don't end up with a food smeared headset because you kept missing. :)

Nice. But I am meant to be working from home and i am just playing battlefield 3 online lol.

Is this the greatest moment in gaming since 2004?

Doom Eternal and Half life Alyx releasing in the space of 7 days

Would you even thought that possible 3 or 4 years ago hah

Next month has FF7 remake and Re3 Remake
    Then TLOU2 the following month after that

Poor wallet

... and Westworld Season 3 ... and working from home (or "working" for some of you lazy bastids)

2020 is turning out a-ok ...considering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

... and Westworld Season 3 ... and working from home (or "working" for some of you lazy bastids)

2020 is turning out a-ok ...considering ;)

I've two young kids. No gaming time, and working from home, with no creche open....... So...... No.

But

When everyone goes to bed....... Game on.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Absolutely
    Quick question. See the way you can pick up items with your "fingers" - that only applies to index vr setups right?

Quick question. See the way you can pick up items with your "fingers" - that only applies to index vr setups right?

Got a video link example?

Absolutely
    Got a video link example?

Sadly currently on phone. But in the reveal trailer you see that players can pick up a shotgun shell (for example)
    I've never played VR so just wondering if that's index only controllers

Sadly currently on phone. But in the reveal trailer you see that players can pick up a shotgun shell (for example)
    I've never played VR so just wondering if that's index only controllers

The Rift controller can track thumb and index finger, but Index tracks them all, so it is possible to do a pinching motion in both.

• Advertisement

Absolutely
    I do find a lot of people are attributing some ground-breaking new "firsts" to Alyx/Valve that have been standard in VR (whether Rift or Vive) for a long time.

Alyx bringing VR even more mainstream is a very welcome thing, but as someone who's been heavily invested in VR since Day 0, I don't think it's likely to be as earth shattering as is being made out....more just a superb refinement on the tech.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I eagerly await the day someone mods this for gamepad/mouse and keyboard play. Maybe a dolphin bar + wiimote and nunchuck ??????

Homelander wrote: »
    I do find a lot of people are attributing some ground-breaking new "firsts" to Alyx/Valve that have been standard in VR (whether Rift or Vive) for a long time.

Alyx bringing VR even more mainstream is a very welcome thing, but as someone who's been heavily invested in VR since Day 0, I don't think it's likely to be as earth shattering as is being made out....more just a superb refinement on the tech.

I dunno, I think this could be something special.

Gabe Newell was saying that "this is as good as we get", so they want to see how people react to the best content Valve claim they can create at the moment. In the IGN interview they were saying they analysed all the best moments in Half Life 1 and 2 and took those over to Alyx and improved upon them.

I normally always wait for a sale. Rarely would I spend more than €20 on a game, but fsck me I think I'm gonna have to drop the full €45 on this pre-order.

Absolutely
    Totally agree. I'll be buying it. I don't for a moment believe it won't be the best experience VR has yet offered.

More just a point that so many people are claiming so many of its technical features are inherently ground-breaking when really, it's shaping up to just be a perfect refinement of tech that's actually existed for a few years.

But fundamentally I believe it will be a killer app.

Homelander wrote: »
    Totally agree. I'll be buying it. I don't for a moment believe it won't be the best experience VR has yet offered.

More just a point that so many people are claiming so many of its technical features are inherently ground-breaking when really, it's shaping up to just be a perfect refinement of tech that's actually existed for a few years.

But fundamentally I believe it will be a killer app.

Hey hey now... no other VR game has allowed you to reach into bins and pick out objects then rotate and throw them!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gabe Newell was saying that "this is as good as we get", so they want to see how people react to the best content Valve claim they can create at the moment. In the IGN interview they were saying they analysed all the best moments in Half Life 1 and 2 and took those over to Alyx and improved upon them.

IMO Gabe and Valves good-as-we-get hasnt been very good in a long time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Pre-load has just gone live on Steam. 48GB download, 67GB uncompressed. Possibly more to download closer to Monday.

Currently downloading it at 11 MB per second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Downloaded, but it was very, very slow.

Now to charge up controllers!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement